ADVERTISEMENT

IU

Hammons was 6/11 his senior year. Surely you see a difference between 11 attempts and 300+ attempts.

Purdue will attempt more 3pt shots this year, but IU will attempt a whole helluva lot more 3s than 11. Their percentage at the end of the year will have little to do with volume.
Hold on now. You determined that percentage alone would be the deciding factor, yet when someone points out the flaw in your logic, you say it isn’t the same. So, just so we are clear, at what point does volume have an effect compared to when it does not? Purdue has already made twice as many 3-pointers this year compared to IU and they hold a higher percentage. If Purdue makes 200 more 3 pointers than IU this year, and both have the same percentage, then who is the better shooting team? Would they be equal in your mind?

Hold on now. You determined that percentage alone would be the deciding factor, yet when someone points out the flaw in your logic, you say it isn’t the same. So, just so we are clear, at what point does volume have an effect compared to when it does not? Purdue has already made twice as many 3-pointers this year compared to IU and they hold a higher percentage. If Purdue makes 200 more 3 pointers than IU this year, and both have the same percentage, then who is the better shooting team? Would they be equal in your mind?
From an efficiency standpoint? Yes, they would be equal.

This year's Purdue team is going to hit a lot more 3s than last years team (because a higher percentage of their shots are 3s this year). I doubt you are about to argue that this year's team was a better 3pt shooting team than your team last year.

At what point are the attempts enough? I dont have an exact number, but I would say north of 100 attempts.

Hammons was 6/11 his senior year. Surely you see a difference between 11 attempts and 300+ attempts.

Purdue will attempt more 3pt shots this year, but IU will attempt a whole helluva lot more 3s than 11. Their percentage at the end of the year will have little to do with volume.
You literally just said it doesn't matter how many shots are made, only the percentage. I used you're argument against you. So now maybe you see your original argument wasn't a very good one?

You literally just said it doesn't matter how many shots are made, only the percentage. I used you're argument against you. So now maybe you see your original argument wasn't a very good one?
I "literally" did not say that. Go back and read the post of mine you quoted again. Both teams will have enough volume at the end of the year that the percentage will be accurate. Both will take 300+ 3s this season.

Iu just escaped a terrible loss. They also appear to have picked up a couple more injuries. I wonder whY they are doing that is causing so many injuries this year.

Iu just escaped a terrible loss. They also appear to have picked up a couple more injuries. I wonder whY they are doing that is causing so many injuries this year.
14 point win while playing with 6 players? I'll take it. We need to get healthy.

Halfway to your 10-game significant data set, RL is at 20% from the 3. To get to your estimate of 37%, he is going to have to pick up the pace quite a bit.

I am seriously thinking that my estimate of 31-32% was too high. I expected better. Time will tell but the competition is going to trend up which makes it harder to pick up the pace. Still possible, but it gets more complicated.

RL's scoring is that of a "slasher" 2G/SF who drives and picks up fouls for the bulk of his scoring. That often works well in HS and college. In the pros that is not often the case.

The questions are the following: does that kind of scoring merit a Top5 pick if you are an NBA GM? If you do make it, that carries at lot of job-risk for you. Is it worth the play? Additionally, if a pre-season Top5 pick is not a post-season Top5 pick does that allow the drawing of any inferences upon coaching acumen? And the ensuing ability to recruit high level talent? And does the need to gets stats raised affect the quality of play and efforts devoted to team-play as opposed to individual-play?

Halfway to your 10-game significant data set, RL is at 20% from the 3. To get to your estimate of 37%, he is going to have to pick up the pace quite a bit.

I am seriously thinking that my estimate of 31-32% was too high. I expected better. Time will tell but the competition is going to trend up which makes it harder to pick up the pace. Still possible, but it gets more complicated.

RL's scoring is that of a "slasher" 2G/SF who drives and picks up fouls for the bulk of his scoring. That often works well in HS and college. In the pros that is not often the case.

The questions are the following: does that kind of scoring merit a Top5 pick if you are an NBA GM? If you do make it, that carries at lot of job-risk for you. Is it worth the play? Additionally, if a pre-season Top5 pick is not a post-season Top5 pick does that allow the drawing of any inferences upon coaching acumen? And the ensuing ability to recruit high level talent? And does the need to gets stats raised affect the quality of play and efforts devoted to team-play as opposed to individual-play?
Lol will Eric Hunter shoot 17% from 3 this year? I mean we are halfway to the 10 game mark?

Romeo scored 22 points against the best shot blocker he will see this season who also happens to be a lottery pick himself. GMs/NBA scouts love his game.

He may have to wear a mask the next several games if he broke his nose last night.

Hunter is a different animal than is RL. The strengths of their respective games are different. Hunter is more of shooter than slasher. Thus his % is more likely to improve over time as regression to the mean takes hold. Having said that, I will be surprised if he gets to 35%.

Another major difference is that Purdue's offense does not revolve around Hunter and teams do not game-plan for him. The opposite cannot be said. As they tell you in math class, you cannot compare apples and oranges.

Last edited:
Hunter is a different animal than is RL. The strengths of their respective games are different. Hunter is more of shooter than slasher. Thus his % is more likely to improve over time as regression to the mean take hold. Having said that, I will be surprised if he gets to 35%.

Another major difference is that Purdue's offense does not revolve around Hunter and teams do not game-plan for him. The opposite cannot be said. As they tell you in math class, you cannot compare apples and oranges.
Romeo is both a shooter and a slasher. Our offense doesnt revolve around him. WE arent a one trick pony offense.

If you had asked me if I thought Romeo would be at 20% from 3 through 5 games, I would have said no way. So, he is shooting worse than I expected so far. With that being said, I predicted he would average 17 and 6 rebs for the year. He is currently at 18 pts and rebs. While shooting 52%. He not only looks like he will be freshman of the year in the Big Ten, but currently would be All Big 10 first team.

You may well be right, because that type of game works in college. My comment refers to the ability to translate to the pros. But also recognize that the shooting woes will likely change the dynamic going forward. The present stats are against weak competition - Arkansas is not a good SEC team. They are picked 11th for a reason.

As the season progresses, teams will sag off outside and play for the drive. That affects the scoring predicated upon the drive.

We will see how well NBA GMs love RL's game when the draft comes next year. Same is true of the Arkansas player. Talk is cheap until you have to make a decision that can cost you dearly.

You may well be right, because that type of game works in college. My comment refers to the ability to translate to the pros. But also recognize that the shooting woes will likely change the dynamic going forward. The present stats are against weak competition - Arkansas is not a good SEC team. They are picked 11th for a reason.

As the season progresses, teams will sag off outside and play for the drive. That affects the scoring predicated upon the drive.
Arkansas and Marquette are both Q1 games. Teams arent going to sag and give Romeo a wide open 3.

Romeo will be a VERY good NBA player.

We will see how well NBA GMs love RL's game when the draft comes next year. Same is true of the Arkansas player. Talk is cheap until you have to make a decision that can cost you dearly.
I'm still not sure why you are so focused on the draft. Romeo is dominating in college right now and has 30 games left to play this season.

I'm still not sure why you are so focused on the draft. Romeo is dominating in college right now and has 30 games left to play this season.

Wait a second. You ask why am I focusing upon the draft? If you review this thread you will see that YOU raised the issue of the draft when you repeated the mantra: "...NBA GMs say Romeo will be a Top 5 pick..." We have heard this repeatedly from you as well as from other IU fans posting here. My response was to that yet unproven and more questionable every game. I then gave you data supporting my assertion and reasoning. You are free to reject that (as it is America) but to maintain that I was the one bringing the NBA stuff is absurd.

There are 30 games left this season and RL has multiple opportunities to demonstrate that his to-date poor outside shooting is an anomaly. But the fact remains that so far it is poor.

Last edited:
Romeo is both a shooter and a slasher. Our offense doesnt revolve around him. WE arent a one trick pony offense.

If you had asked me if I thought Romeo would be at 20% from 3 through 5 games, I would have said no way. So, he is shooting worse than I expected so far. With that being said, I predicted he would average 17 and 6 rebs for the year. He is currently at 18 pts and rebs. While shooting 52%. He not only looks like he will be freshman of the year in the Big Ten, but currently would be All Big 10 first team.
If Romeo makes all Big first team and as I stated many times I expect Morgan to do that and Archie does NOT win the BIG, is he ran out of town? How would anyone reconcile two on first team all Big Ten and not win the conference?

From what I have seen, IU has no shooters. They have a lot of guys who can get to the rim, but not shoot. That is a one trick pony and it’s going to be taken advantage of come conference time. The thing that hurts IU is, they aren’t very good from the line either, so I expect hack a Hoosier to become a thing.

Wait a second. You ask why am I focusing upon the draft? If you review this thread you will see that YOU raised the issue of the draft when you repeated the mantra: "...NBA GMs say Romeo will be a Top 5 pick..." We have heard this repeatedly from you as well as from other IU fans posting here. My response was to that yet unproven and more questionable every game. I then gave you data supporting my assertion and reasoning. You are free to reject that (as it is America) but to maintain that I was the one bringing the NBA stuff is absurd.

There are 30 games left this season and RL has multiple opportunities to demonstrate that is to-date poor outside shooting is an anomaly. But the fact remains that so far it is poor.
The fact remains he is still a projected top 5 pick even with poor shooting. Many here said he wouldn't be able to score at a high level in COLLEGE, because he wouldn't be able to finish over length.... well he scored 22 on the most length he will see all season. I'm actually impressed with how well he has shot the ball inside the arc. Better than expected in that area.

If Romeo makes all Big first team and as I stated many times I expect Morgan to do that and Archie does NOT win the BIG, is he ran out of town? How would anyone reconcile two on first team all Big Ten and not win the conference?
We need to get healthy first, but I'm certainly not ruling us out of winning conference at this point.

From what I have seen, IU has no shooters. They have a lot of guys who can get to the rim, but not shoot. That is a one trick pony and it’s going to be taken advantage of come conference time. The thing that hurts IU is, they aren’t very good from the line either, so I expect hack a Hoosier to become a thing.
No good shooters? Morgan, Fitzner, RP, and Durham appear to disagree with that assessment so far. Did you mean they have no high volume shooters? That's true, but we are elite at finishing inside, so we don't need high volume shooters.

The fact remains he is still a projected top 5 pick even with poor shooting. Many here said he wouldn't be able to score at a high level in COLLEGE, because he wouldn't be able to finish over length.... well he scored 22 on the most length he will see all season. I'm actually impressed with how well he has shot the ball inside the arc. Better than expected in that area.

I have two problems with your post:

1. How do you know that he is STILL a projected Top5? Since the Top5 teams have not been decided and their needs and wants may be different, how is this assertion valid? Because some anonymous person with no risk said something to a reporter? Teams may have needs that preclude him as a choice. As far as I know, those comments were made before the season started. If you know different, please cite the newer source.

2. I remember a lot of discussion about the outside shooting here. I do recall discussion about it being harder for him inside but not that it would be precluding. I think that you are attempting to set a straw man on fire here. Also, the center for Arkansas was not guarding him so I do not get this "most length" argument as valid either.

No good shooters? Morgan, Fitzner, RP, and Durham appear to disagree with that assessment so far. Did you mean they have no high volume shooters? That's true, but we are elite at finishing inside, so we don't need high volume shooters.
Yes, no good shooters. The guys you cite average less than one made three per game. That’s not “good” and can be described as bad when discussing good shooters.

You came here before the season saying IU would have the better 3 point shooting team. You have spun numbers and moved the goal posts and here we are five games in It is abundantly clear that IU doesn’t list long range shooting as a strength. Good grief, 1 for 12 is bad in middle school. At the college level, with players you have talked up, it’s embarrassingly bad.

Here's the problem with the whole Top 5 argument. He "might" be taken in the first 5 guards but there are going to be a couple of bigs in the Top 5 and if it comes down to a slasher guard that shoots less than 30% from 3 or a guard that consistently gets to the rim and finishes and shoots 40+% from 3 I know which one is going first.

I have two problems with your post:

1. How do you know that he is STILL a projected Top5? Since the Top5 teams have not been decided and their needs and wants may be different, how is this assertion valid? Because some anonymous person with no risk said something to a reporter? Teams may have needs that preclude him as a choice. As far as I know, those comments were made before the season started. If you know different, please cite the newer source.

2. I remember a lot of discussion about the outside shooting here. I do recall discussion about it being harder for him inside but not that it would be precluding. I think that you are attempting to set a straw man on fire here. Also, the center for Arkansas was not guarding him so I do not get this "most length" argument as valid either.
1. Look up any mock draft and let me know when you dont see him as a top 5 pick. Also, IU had NBA scouts come watch Practice many times before the season. When they were interviewed, they said he's a lottery pick no question and likely a top 5 pick.

2. Have you ever heard of helpside defense? When romeo would drive, Gafford would come over and attempt to block it from the weak side.

Yes, no good shooters. The guys you cite average less than one made three per game. That’s not “good” and can be described as bad when discussing good shooters.

You came here before the season saying IU would have the better 3 point shooting team. You have spun numbers and moved the goal posts and here we are five games in It is abundantly clear that IU doesn’t list long range shooting as a strength. Good grief, 1 for 12 is bad in middle school. At the college level, with players you have talked up, it’s embarrassingly bad.
I said IU would finish as the better 3pt shooting team percentage wise. There is still a chance that happens, but it doesnt look likely. I expected Purdue to be the better defensive team as well, and that isnt happening either.

Btw 3 of the 4 guys I mentioned average at least 1 made 3 per game.

Here's the problem with the whole Top 5 argument. He "might" be taken in the first 5 guards but there are going to be a couple of bigs in the Top 5 and if it comes down to a slasher guard that shoots less than 30% from 3 or a guard that consistently gets to the rim and finishes and shoots 40+% from 3 I know which one is going first.
Here is the problem with your argument. He doesnt project as a less than 30% shooter. Being taken in the NBA draft is far more about physical attributes. For example, Carsen is a better shooter than Romeo. He might not be a 1st round pick while Romeo is likely top 5. The difference is that Carsen is 6'1" with a 6'5" wingspan. Romeo is 6'6" eith a 6'11" wingspan. You cant teach size and length.

I said IU would finish as the better 3pt shooting team percentage wise. There is still a chance that happens, but it doesnt look likely. I expected Purdue to be the better defensive team as well, and that isnt happening either.

Btw 3 of the 4 guys I mentioned average at least 1 made 3 per game.
Is making one three per game good? No, no it is not.
You actually called them good shooters. They aren’t. Home game against horrible competition...1 for 12. Woof!

Is making one three per game good? No, no it is not.
You actually called them good shooters. They aren’t. Home game against horrible competition...1 for 12. Woof!
It was an off shooting night for sure. Could have something to do with only having 6 healthy players (5 by the end of the game), but who knows. Prior to that game Purdue and IU were within 1% of each other in 3pt shooting.

The reason Purdue is a good three point shooting team is because they have CE, RC, SS, EB and AW. All are good three ball guys. I did not even list Hunter but he can shot it as well. They will have off nights but it wont be in the same game. One of them is going to hit them. My definition of a good three point shooting team is having several guys that can drill them from down town. Anyone one of those guys not closely guarded are going to let it fly because, they are good at it.

The reason Purdue is a good three point shooting team is because they have CE, RC, SS, EB and AW. All are good three ball guys. I did not even list Hunter but he can shot it as well. They will have off nights but it wont be in the same game. One of them is going to hit them. My definition of a good three point shooting team is having several guys that can drill them from down town. Anyone one of those guys not closely guarded are going to let it fly because, they are good at it.
I agree, and the guys I mentioned are going to let it fly when open as well, because they are all capable shooters. IU is not a team that will take half of its shots from 3 though.

It was an off shooting night for sure. Could have something to do with only having 6 healthy players (5 by the end of the game), but who knows. Prior to that game Purdue and IU were within 1% of each other in 3pt shooting.
You really don’t understand how math works, do you? Juwan has made 4 three’s in five games. That’s not a one per game average.
4% is a huge gap when talking about shooting percentage. Just google where IU is nationally, and perhaps you will see how far the distance between the two teams is in three point shooting. I doubt IU is in the top third nationally. You said they would be good and better than Purdue. They suck, it’s inky going to get worse as the season goes on and you play good teams. It was a stupid take with no supportive data. The fact that you hold on to it and come here to spin their performance after every game is laughable. Maybe get a kitten or gold fish if you need attention. Not a single person here is buying your spin because like IU and shooting, you aren’t very good at it.

Reactions: mathboy
It was an off shooting night for sure. Could have somethings to do with only having 6 healthy players (5 by the end of the game), but who knows. Prior to that game Purdue and IU were within 1% of each other in 3pt shooting.
Let me quote James Bond in "Goldfinger": "...once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, thrice is enemy action." The simple fact remains that against overall poor competition IU's outside shooting has been bad. That is a fact. There is trend that is supported by evidence. To ignore that at this point is just plain silly.

As we go on, the competition gets better. The likelihood that a dramatic jump in so-far demonstrated is not high.

As for this draft nonsense, a simple review of draft expectations pre-season and the actual draft in both football and basketball over many seasons will demonstrate that the correlation between the two sets is not all that high. Things change over time as more data is acquired.

Last edited:
You really don’t understand how math works, do you? Juwan has made 4 three’s in five games. That’s not a one per game average.
4% is a huge gap when talking about shooting percentage. Just google where IU is nationally, and perhaps you will see how far the distance between the two teams is in three point shooting. I doubt IU is in the top third nationally. You said they would be good and better than Purdue. They suck, it’s inky going to get worse as the season goes on and you play good teams. It was a stupid take with no supportive data. The fact that you hold on to it and come here to spin their performance after every game is laughable. Maybe get a kitten or gold fish if you need attention. Not a single person here is buying your spin because like IU and shooting, you aren’t very good at it.
Wow, you are an idiot. I clearly stated 3 OF 4 guys I mentioned hit at least 1 per game. That means RP, Durham, and Fitzner.

To continue talking about your lack of reading comprehension I said PRIOR to last game IU and Purdue were within 1% of each other. I made no mention of the 4% you asserted in this post.

Let me quote James Bond in "Goldfinger": "...once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, thrice is enemy action." The simple fact remains that against overall poor competition IU's outside shooting has been bad. That is a fact. There is trend that is supported by evidence. To ignore that at this point is just plain silly.

As we go on, the competition gets better. The likelihood that a dramatic jump in so-far demonstrated s not high.

As for this draft nonsense, a simple review of draft expectations pre-season and the actual draft in both football and basketball over many seasons will demonstrate that the correlation between the two sets is not all that high. Things change over time as more data is acquired.
Draft predictions hardly ever change pre season to postseason in basketball. The top 5 is generally always the original top 5. The order of those 5 could change.

So if IU has been a poor shooting to against poor competition, then Purdue has been an average shooting team against poor competition. The difference is that IU doesn't rely on the 3 ball to win. Even with our currently poor 3pt shooting we are 3rd in the nation in FG%.

I could be wrong about who the better 3pt shooting team is, but it's still too early to determine if that is fact or not.

Here is the problem with your argument. He doesnt project as a less than 30% shooter. Being taken in the NBA draft is far more about physical attributes. For example, Carsen is a better shooter than Romeo. He might not be a 1st round pick while Romeo is likely top 5. The difference is that Carsen is 6'1" with a 6'5" wingspan. Romeo is 6'6" eith a 6'11" wingspan. You cant teach size and length.
Can I ask you a question I no this is a free board and it’s open to whoever want to discuss basketball but why the obsession of this kid just curious. You talk about Romeo all the time like you are related to him or something. whether he is projected top 5 pick or not conference play hasn’t started yet. Big 10 is pretty good this year too to bottom. You say you can’t teach size and length well nojel is almost 6”7 at 220 pounds athletic quick with 6”9 wing span that can play 4 positions offensively and defensively in college and at the next level that plays the PG position that has great vision a high basketball IQ has quick lateral movement has defended 2 nba prospects from Virginia Tech and appachalin state who both tested the nba waters and did pretty good containing both players. If nojel ever decides to shoot the ball he will be a problem. Nojel can handle the ball get to the basket rebounds very well from the PG position that can score in a variety of ways than nojel has NBA potential I believe. What I’m saying Romeo is a heck of a player he will have his moments when he’s very good he will also have his moments when he has his struggles all I’m saying so much can happen from now till March competition will be even better what he will face in coming weeks so with more film on him coaches will plan accordingly to contain him no difference than my son or Carsen. Coaches will break down film and u no how that can go once coaches got film on you they game plan so as solid as he is playing right now 4/5 games into the season a lot more season to be played including a trip to Duke with AA freshmen like him he will be competing against. Nojel did work out with 2 NBA teams loved him overall game just want to see him play more and continue to work on his shooting. Also there have been NBA scouts at Purdue practices to. This isn’t an argument no comparing just a question why constantly come on this board talking about just Romeo all the time no matter his projections or what he is doing on the court it’s almost you need validation from a bunch of Purdue fans who this board is for to discuss Purdue basketball not Romeo Langford basketball.

Can I ask you a question I no this is a free board and it’s open to whoever want to discuss basketball but why the obsession of this kid just curious. You talk about Romeo all the time like you are related to him or something. whether he is projected top 5 pick or not conference play hasn’t started yet. Big 10 is pretty good this year too to bottom. You say you can’t teach size and length well nojel is almost 6”7 at 220 pounds athletic quick with 6”9 wing span that can play 4 positions offensively and defensively in college and at the next level that plays the PG position that has great vision a high basketball IQ has quick lateral movement has defended 2 nba prospects from Virginia Tech and appachalin state who both tested the nba waters and did pretty good containing both players. If nojel ever decides to shoot the ball he will be a problem. Nojel can handle the ball get to the basket rebounds very well from the PG position that can score in a variety of ways than nojel has NBA potential I believe. What I’m saying Romeo is a heck of a player he will have his moments when he’s very good he will also have his moments when he has his struggles all I’m saying so much can happen from now till March competition will be even better what he will face in coming weeks so with more film on him coaches will plan accordingly to contain him no difference than my son or Carsen. Coaches will break down film and u no how that can go once coaches got film on you they game plan so as solid as he is playing right now 4/5 games into the season a lot more season to be played including a trip to Duke with AA freshmen like him he will be competing against. Nojel did work out with 2 NBA teams loved him overall game just want to see him play more and continue to work on his shooting. Also there have been NBA scouts at Purdue practices to. This isn’t an argument no comparing just a question why constantly come on this board talking about just Romeo all the time no matter his projections or what he is doing on the court it’s almost you need validation from a bunch of Purdue fans who this board is for to discuss Purdue basketball not Romeo Langford basketball.
Amen!

Mods can we lock this thread already?

I only respond to those that criticize IU players. As Romeo is the best prospect either team has gotten in a long time, he gets a lot of criticism over here. That's why a lot of my posts are about him.

As far as comparing Nojel and Romeo, I think you can see there is a difference. If you can't, it's probably best we dont delve into that and agree to disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT