ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa - Purdue Game Discussion Thread

I could not agree more. Stunned!
I don’t understand the negative attitude about something that happens all the time in football. Under rated player (including walk-on) beat out higher rated player at every single program. Even in the Pros you get undrafted people becoming starters and even all stars over highly drafted players.

Some of us choose not to think of it as an indictment on the coaches or other players. I personally thought O’Connell looked like the best qb on our roster last year and now has beat out 3 and 4 star players to win the staring job. I think that is great for him and us.

And we got a big win!

Boiler Up!

You do realize some people can see areas for improvement in wins and positive attributes in losses right? Why do you think other people need to think the way you do? Sounds like a royalist mentality to me

You’re bringing up an exceptional late bloomer and suggesting it means that Brennan is Jake?

I did bring up individuals. What I say here doesn’t mean it’s not brohms job to take 85 scholarships and have less exploitable players than O’Connell and Thienemann starting. Lovie did it in year 4. Go back and watch Illinois and find one non athlete on their defense, or offense for that matter last year

And that’s Lovie lol

If you’re looking for me to fall into your straw man of not appreciating horvath O’Connell and Thienemann for their hard work.. that’s not me. O’Connell has accuracy I only wish u could go back in time and give to painter and sindelar. Horvath is a warrior and I presume Thienemann is working his tail off.

This just isn’t about that. It’s year four. I’ve defended Brohm for 3 years against any criticism. It’s time to expect more.

I'm not suggesting anything. Apparently you are. We're simply following your ... er, not "logic", but train of thought.

As a coach you take what you can. If someone else works his @ss off to the point of EARNING a spot, as a coach you don't deny that.

Not sure why you find that so foreign... or want to argue that so much.

There is no straw man, other than the one you're advancing.

it's pretty clear: As a coach ... hell, as ANY leader ... you take advantage of those who work hard and earn their way.

It isn't any harder than that. Stop trying to make it harder.

You haven’t watched enough football to know that they looked like they were playing about as poorly as the Danny hope team that willed itself to a 5-6 turnover three point loss to northwestern?

You want positives from yesterday? Their are plenty ..

OL looked vastly improved. Wasn’t sure a good back like DJ Knox could have ever run for 100 yards again after last year. Jornigan and Craig brought the beef and the C and RT position was serviceable. Hermanns obviously future pro. Lots of teams like Nebraska should be afraid of our OL if we were that stout against Iowa.

Howard and Mitchell played like they’ve been here already. That’s great news. I didn’t see our linebackers look quite as bad as last year. The mid game problems started up front. Good news though.. Lorenzo Neal appeared to play more like Lorenzo Neal as the game went on. Again if you’re Nebraska or northwestern this is not good.

Diaco adjusted. Wow. I’m used to .. we do good things, opposing OC adjusts, we don’t readjust.

O’Connell very accurate. After rewatching I think horvath will be an asset hopefully backing up Doerue. O’Connell is accurate... mostly on the Thienemann thing still. I’d like to see O’Connell exploit the blitz more since good DCs will bring the heat

Baller alert

Karlaftis
Allen
Hermanns
Bell

I’d list those players as impact players next week if I was the broadcast

Not the way to influence discussions, but hey, I'm not surprised.

You do realize some people can see areas for improvement in wins and positive attributes in losses right? Why do you think other people need to think the way you do? Sounds like a royalist mentality to me

Haha realist. Yea.

I see opportunities for improvement for sure. I just choose not to rip every bad throw or incomplete pass of our qb (nfl qbs do the exact same things in every game they play), only because he is a former walk-on.

We can play better for sure. It was first game of the season and without our coach and best player. I thought we did well overall and got a big win.

I could not agree more. Stunned!
I don’t understand the negative attitude about something that happens all the time in football. Under rated player (including walk-on) beat out higher rated player at every single program. Even in the Pros you get undrafted people becoming starters and even all stars over highly drafted players.

Some of us choose not to think of it as an indictment on the coaches or other players. I personally thought O’Connell looked like the best qb on our roster last year and now has beat out 3 and 4 star players to win the staring job. I think that is great for him and us.

And we got a big win!

Boiler Up!

it's good to see improvement.

It's also good to identify continued areas of improvement.

but, you're right about negative attitudes. People with negative attitudes give others the permission to categorize them as such, and attribute their POV as such. Especially in the face of such massive improvement.

I'm not suggesting anything. Apparently you are. We're simply following your ... er, not "logic", but train of thought.

As a coach you take what you can. If someone else works his @ss off to the point of EARNING a spot, as a coach you don't deny that.

Not sure why you find that so foreign... or want to argue that so much.

There is no straw man, other than the one you're advancing.

it's pretty clear: As a coach ... hell, as ANY leader ... you take advantage of those who work hard and earn their way.

It isn't any harder than that. Stop trying to make it harder.

A coach gets 85 scholarships and it’s their job to produce with them. Why are you talking like rosters “happen to coaches” in year 4? Like Brohm is joe paterno and woke up like “yeah I don’t know who we been recruiting but someone woke me up from a nap and Thienemann is all we got.”

but, you're right about negative attitudes. People with negative attitudes give others the permission to categorize them as such, and attribute their POV as such. Especially in the face of such massive improvement.

Realistic. But dude you think how you want. You wanna shower with a 38 shower curtain you be my guest lol

Yea. We have a long way to go for sure. Need to stop the run better but glad to see we created some TOs.

I thought offensively we played a bit consecutive but that could be because the coach was out. I would be lying if i said I didn’t like the run/pass being more balanced though. I don’t think we win without Horvath coming up huge yesterday.

Loved our O-line play. Also loved the cluch play by our offense and defense to finish with a win.

Lots to like! Boiler Up!

Reactions: Boiler8285
Haha realist. Yea.

I see opportunities for improvement for sure. I just choose not to rip every bad throw or incomplete pass of our qb (nfl qbs do the exact same things in every game they play), only because he is a former walk-on.

We can play better for sure. It was first game of the season and without our coach and best player. I thought we did well overall and got a big win.

It’s not about ripping throws. I never once said “O’Connell sucks”.. I presume all these guys are a cross section and a microcosm of what you get in society as a whole and that they are doing their best. If you think a bunch of people were ripping O’Connell or others as though they are someone shitty like Garrett bushong or Cornell jones feel free to take me out of that group. Horvath .. Warrior. O’Connell ... good accurate QB who has a little Larry Bird in him late in games.

I just expected more from Brohm in year four game 1

It’s not about ripping throws. I never once said “O’Connell sucks”.. I presume all these guys are a cross section and a microcosm of what you get in society as a whole and that they are doing their best. If you think a bunch of people were ripping O’Connell or others as though they are someone shitty like Garrett bushong or Cornell jones feel free to take me out of that group. Horvath .. Warrior. O’Connell ... good accurate QB who has a little Larry Bird in him late in games.

I just expected more from Brohm in year four game 1

Yea it probably wasn’t you after each throw. I am not going back now to look.

O’Connell does seem to have something clutch in him late in games. Lets hope he keeps getting better.

Boiler up!

Reactions: Zaphod_B
A coach gets 85 scholarships and it’s their job to produce with them. Why are you talking like rosters “happen to coaches” in year 4? Like Brohm is joe paterno and woke up like “yeah I don’t know who we been recruiting but someone woke me up from a nap and Thienemann is all we got.”

You keep moving the goalposts.

I said no such thing.

Of course they know who they've recruited. What you wrote is pointless.

Realistic. But dude you think how you want. You wanna shower with a 38 shower curtain you be my guest lol

Hey.....what's wrong with a 38? And besides, it don't mean a thing if you aint got the right ring. ;)

4js140.gif

Reactions: Purdue85
I didn't get a chance to watch the game or highlights, but I was following along with this thread a while during commercial breaks.

1) How did Cronk look? Was he going up against Karlaftis? This is probably the only time they would have played against each other, right? Or was GK on WL varsity when Cronk was at CC?

2) How did Neal play? I remember reading some concerns on here last week about him not looking in game shape.

3) In the thread there were some early complaints about Horvath & AOC. The box score looked pretty okay, so was it one of those misleading stat lines or did they turn it on late?

4) Did the D, generally, show significant improvement from last year? I know that was one of the big hopes for this season.

5) Congratulations on a good win! As dickish as people were about me dreaming for IU/PU to both roll into the OOB undefeated, I'm glad both teams made it through week 1 unscathed. So the dream stays alive another week.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game or highlights, but I was following along with this thread a while during commercial breaks.

1) How did Cronk look? Was he going up against Karlaftis? This is probably the only time they would have played against each other, right? Or was GK on WL varsity when Cronk was at CC?

2) How did Neal play? I remember reading some concerns on here last week about him not looking in game shape.

3) In the thread there were some early complaints about Horvath & AOC. The box score looked pretty okay, so was it one of those misleading stat lines or did they turn it on late?

4) Did the D, generally, show significant improvement from last year? I know that was one of the big hopes for this season.

5) Congratulations on a good win! As dickish as people were about me dreaming for IU/PU to both roll into the OOB undefeated, I'm glad both teams made it through week 1 unscathed. So the dream stays alive another week.

1) Cronk had at least one big false start penalty. And in one play, Karlaftis abused him and sacked the QB.
2) Neal didn't play well in the first half. He was pretty much double teamed and pushed out of the play a couple of times for big running plays for Iowa. I think he played better in the second half as adjustments were made.
3) Horvath didn't look very good in the first half, but really turned it on in the second half and wore out the D. O'Connell was serviceable. He made some good throws and some really bad ones. But he did a very nice job on the winning drive in the 4th quarter to win the game.
4) The D had a rough first half in the both the run game and passing game. They did show much improvement in tackling and didn't look undersized like they have in years past. Diaco and the staff made some good adjustments in the second half and only gave up 3 points. They need to work on the secondary as they gave up too many yards. But all in all, this is a better defense than we saw last year.

Last edited:
They had over 450 yards in total offense and significantly out gained us. They actually played pretty well but Purdue forced two very opportune fumbles. Without those two even a better offensive game doesn’t win it for Purdue. That’s a good Iowa team.

I get it. Some people just like to bitch.
So we got lucky??? What about the tipped pass in the second half that turned into an interception when we were driving easily on Iowa. Take away that tip and we add another 3-7 points. It works both ways.

Yesterday was a huge win for Purdue, Coach at home with Covid, crushing news before the game that Rondale was out, top RB out, helluve of a win!

Reactions: SIBoiler2
Dude, stop your b*tching. We're much improved. Stop demanding EVERYTHING be perfect. It's a work in progress, and sometimes people get playing time because of the coach's confidence in execution, among other things.

Yep. Certainly lots to clean up on the defense but loved the effort and improvements I saw.

I wish I was such a great football player and expectations were so high for me that when I had 5 tackles, a fumble recovery, and as a team only gave up 20 points (3 in the second half), people called for my head. Must need 10 tackles, 2 ints, 2 sacks, and 3 fumble recoveries to please this crowd.

Yep. Certainly lots to clean up on the defense but loved the effort and improvements I saw.

I wish I was such a great football player and expectations were so high for me that when I had 5 tackles, a fumble recovery, and as a team only gave up 20 points (3 in the second half), people called for my head. Must need 10 tackles, 2 ints, 2 sacks, and 3 fumble recoveries to please this crowd.
If tackles are your measuring stick, Ben Holt led the team in tackles last year. And I wouldn't call him a very good middle linebacker.

If tackles are your measuring stick, Ben Holt led the team in tackles last year. And I wouldn't call him a very good middle linebacker.

Well tackles were not my only measuring stick. He also had a fumble recovery. And while tackles aren’t the only indication of someone playing hard and fast on defense, when a safety is beating starting linebackers to the ball he is doing several things well including reading the play developing in front of you.

And for the record, Ben Holt was honorable mention all big ten. He was a very solid linebacker according to people paid an insane amount of money to know these things.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Well tackles were not my only measuring stick. He also had a fumble recovery. And while tackles aren’t the only indication of someone playing hard and fast on defense, when a safety is beating starting linebackers to the ball he is doing several things well including reading the play developing in front of you.

And for the record, Ben Holt was honorable mention all big ten. He was a very solid linebacker according to people paid an insane amount of money to know these things.
I'm not gonna argue about Ben Holt. The dude got dragged by running backs for multiple extra yards, which never got into the "stats". He also didn't have any range. So we'll agree to disagree on that.
But what I saw yesterday was Thienemen getting beat in coverage multiple times. He's got to do a better job covering tight ends. Or it's going to cost us games eventually.

I'm not gonna argue about Ben Holt. The dude got dragged by running backs for multiple extra yards, which never got into the "stats". He also didn't have any range. So we'll agree to disagree on that.
But what I saw yesterday was Thienemen getting beat in coverage multiple times. He's got to do a better job covering tight ends. Or it's going to cost us games eventually.

Yea I am not trying to argue. Honorable mention all big ten is a big award for him and and for Purdue. I think you are incorrect if you think the coaches who vote on that aren’t going off of the game film they watch and not just statistics.

Thienemen made mistakes for sure. As did almost every player on our defense at one time or another. We certainly must clean up the mistakes and improve every game to be better if we want to have a good season. Yesterday was a great start though. Boiler Up!

that's nonsense.

It is about individuals and hard work, because you brought up specific individuals.

I'm sure Wisconsin fans were mad as hell that the Wisconsin coaches permitted the development of JJ Watt, a walk on, and didn't see the same type of development of other D linemen who were recruited and offered scholarships. (???!)

Coaches don't "get paid to get recruited talent on the field". They get paid to do a number of things, most notably to get the most out of the young men in their program, and, ultimately, win games.

Your argument: Coaches should lead their teams in such as way as to prevent, stunt, or otherwise hold down the development of some players (like walk ons), and only allow development of others (scholarship). I hope we never see that at Purdue. Every program (and, especially, their fans) should embrace and be proud of the young men who come into the program, fight like hell, and ultimately EARN the right to be on the field in whatever capacity they can do that.

I'm stunned at this thread.

I'm stunned at this thread, too!

All the negativity for a team that (I repeat myself)

- was missing their coach
- was missing their best player
- was missing their best running back
- was missing the special teams coach
- was playing a team that was 10-3 last year
- was playing a team that most recently won a bowl game against USC

Some people can't be happy unless they're complaining!

Facemask penalty was huge in that drive...fortuitous break for the offense/Purdue...glad that they capitalized.

I was of the opinion that an inadvertent face mask penalty was 5 yards and a 'purposeful' one was 15 yards. Is that not the case? Did the ref call 'purposeful' on that one?

See, that’s where youre wrong. Assuming these guys wouldn’t call him that. They’re reading this like “Ben holt was awesome. What do you expect coaches making million with 85 scholarships to do? Recruit, sign and develop someone BETTER?? Negative Nancy.”

What’s your last account? Negative account alert.

I’m trying to wrap my head around “the team won, don’t be so negative.”

So, if you’re one of the people saying that I have a question. Say we lose to Wisconsin 35-30.. we have a lot of things go well but mertz just plays lights out.

If I point out how Karlaftis was really on his A game, Mitchell and company really stuffed the run and our offense was smooth..

By the rationale of your argument, won’t you say “why would you say all that stuff you stooge, we lost. That’s what MATTERS! We lost!!”

Seems like a logical inversion of your results argument, no?

Last edited:
I’m trying to wrap my head around “the team won, don’t be so negative.”

So, if you’re one of the people saying that I have a question. Say we lose to Wisconsin 35-30.. we have a lot of things go well but mertz just plays lights out.

If I point out how Karlaftis was really on his A game, Mitchell and company really stuffed the run and our offense was smooth..

By the rationale of your argument, won’t you say “why would you say all that stuff you stooge, we lost. That’s what MATTERS! We lost!!”

Seems like a logical inversion of your results argument, no?

I am not sure who you are speaking to but I will respond from my pov. I am not telling anyone not to be negative. People can be however they like. There were lots of things that need improvement going into next week. I don’t think anyone will disagree with that.

What shocked me, and I am mostly speaking about the in game comments throughout the game, was how horribly negative so many people were. And it was mostly about O’Connell and Horvath. And those comments came in a game in which they both had solid or very good games. Oh and we won. Btw Horvath averaged 5 yards per carry in the first half for those saying he was only good in the second half.

It felt like constant negativity after each and every play that wasn’t great.

Saying we need to improve against the run if we want to win this game is normal.

Saying O’Connell is the worst starting Big Ten qb ever after a bad pass is insane.

Just my opinion from my perspective.

I was of the opinion that an inadvertent face mask penalty was 5 yards and a 'purposeful' one was 15 yards. Is that not the case? Did the ref call 'purposeful' on that one?

There's only one grade of penalty for face mask - it's a personal foul - 15 yards and automatic first down if on the defense. It wasn't egregious, but it was clearly a penalty. A good break for the Boilers as it negated a loss play and got them out of a hole with down and distance.

Reminds me of a Saturday game on ABC way back when Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles were calling the game. It may have been Michigan or Penn State against Notre Dame........there was a flag and Keith and Frank were discussing the severity, and Keith Jackson in his familiar style -

"Oh Frank, he didn't just grab it. He gotta hold of it and gave it a jerk!"

Reactions: Beorik
I am not sure who you are speaking to but I will respond from my pov. I am not telling anyone not to be negative. People can be however they like. There were lots of things that need improvement going into next week. I don’t think anyone will disagree with that.

What shocked me, and I am mostly speaking about the in game comments throughout the game, was how horribly negative so many people were. And it was mostly about O’Connell and Horvath. And those comments came in a game in which they both had solid or very good games. Oh and we won. Btw Horvath averaged 5 yards per carry in the first half for those saying he was only good in the second half.

Saying we need to improve against the run if we want to win this game is normal.

Saying O’Connell is the worst starting Big Ten qb ever after a bad pass is insane.

8483-nailed-it!-rubber-stamp-hcb.png

Reactions: NVboiler and Beorik

Yeah I saw a guy who said that O’Connell was worse than Brandon Hance and Caleb terbush and almost fell off my couch ... that’s just insane.

Here’s where I’m at:

O’Connell - I guess I felt like this.. since we didn’t hear Plummer was hurt, when Iowa was getting home on O’Connell a lot.. of blough and sindelar had to split time with each other, I guess I didn’t see how O’Connell was so far above Plummer that we couldn’t see plummer in the game. If the Plummer I saw last year wasn’t good enough to get in that game, did he get worse?

> horvath played good for a guy who I presume is a backup to doerue. I don’t want him to be the starter but I don’t think he sucks. Would I like to have seen Hewitt be ready to get some run? Could A top ten coach in the nation easily have had Hewitt ready to get some run? Yes. But I don’t think horvath is some trash player.

> Thienemann - he just doesn’t have the quickness or cover enough field fast enough to be a starter for this team man. I’m sorry. That’s not me trying to disrespect him. Thats just the truth. I would like to see think he coaches have someone ready to get in there. If it’s not even Marvin grant but we see Smiley and Allen become the most prevalent duo, then that’s fine .. but someone.

There are gonna be some teams they make us pay through our noses at that spot.

I also think Jalen graham looks .. not great. But the linebackers were so bad last year that I’m just glad Diaco hasn’t called me or you to go in there yet.

Neal looked really bad but he looked to be playing himself back into shape and into himself as the game went on ..

Yeah I saw a guy who said that O’Connell was worse than Brandon Hance and Caleb terbush and almost fell off my couch ... that’s just insane.

Here’s where I’m at:

O’Connell - I guess I felt like this.. since we didn’t hear Plummer was hurt, when Iowa was getting home on O’Connell a lot.. of blough and sindelar had to split time with each other, I guess I didn’t see how O’Connell was so far above Plummer that we couldn’t see plummer in the game. If the Plummer I saw last year wasn’t good enough to get in that game, did he get worse?

> horvath played good for a guy who I presume is a backup to doerue. I don’t want him to be the starter but I don’t think he sucks. Would I like to have seen Hewitt be ready to get some run? Could A top ten coach in the nation easily have had Hewitt ready to get some run? Yes. But I don’t think horvath is some trash player.

> Thienemann - he just doesn’t have the quickness or cover enough field fast enough to be a starter for this team man. I’m sorry. That’s not me trying to disrespect him. Thats just the truth. I would like to see think he coaches have someone ready to get in there. If it’s not even Marvin grant but we see Smiley and Allen become the most prevalent duo, then that’s fine .. but someone.

There are gonna be some teams they make us pay through our noses at that spot.

I also think Jalen graham looks .. not great. But the linebackers were so bad last year that I’m just glad Diaco hasn’t called me or you to go in there yet.

Neal looked really bad but he looked to be playing himself back into shape and into himself as the game went on ..

Yea we obviously disagree on AOC, ZH, and BT but I certainly see where you are coming from and we should be able to have discussions on them for sure.

I know I might be in the minority but I think O’Connell is solid and might even become great. He already seems to respond well to pressure situations which is one of the hardest things to teach. I love his pocket presence and think of the qbs we have I think he makes the quickest decisions. With our weapons and continued growth I think he could end up being pretty darn good.

I do think Horvath is a starting caliber rb in the Big Ten. I just think with our o-line issues last year, especially early, it was hard for anyone to look good. I do feel like we need another rb to mix in with him though. Hopefully we will see that as the season progresses.

BT is starting for his second DC now. I agree he doesn’t seem to have elite speed or strength but we have some pretty athletically talented folks we have recruited in the secondary. He has beat them out for some reason. Perhaps it is just his knowledge of the defense. I don’t know but I trust that the coaches are putting the best players on the field.

All in all we are not Ohio St. we are not going to have 4-5 star athletes starting at nearly every position. We have to count on lesser recruited kids coming in and maximizing their ability. While yesterday wasn’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination, our boys played hard and got it done.

Here’s to civil conversation, continuous improvement and a good season!

Boiler Up!

Yea we obviously disagree on AOC, ZH, and BT but I certainly see where you are coming from and we should be able to have discussions on them for sure.

I know I might be in the minority but I think O’Connell is solid and might even become great. He already seems to respond well to pressure situations which is one of the hardest things to teach. I love his pocket presence and think of the qbs we have I think he makes the quickest decisions. With our weapons and continued growth I think he could end up being pretty darn good.

I do think Horvath is a starting caliber rb in the Big Ten. I just think with our o-line issues last year, especially early, it was hard for anyone to look good. I do feel like we need another rb to mix in with him though. Hopefully we will see that as the season progresses.

BT is starting for his second DC now. I agree he doesn’t seem to have elite speed or strength but we have some pretty athletically talented folks we have recruited in the secondary. He has beat them out for some reason. Perhaps it is just his knowledge of the defense. I don’t know but I trust that the coaches are putting the best players on the field.

All in all we are not Ohio St. we are not going to have 4-5 star athletes starting at nearly every position. We have to count on lesser recruited kids coming in and maximizing their ability. While yesterday wasn’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination, our boys played hard and got it done.

Here’s to civil conversation, continuous improvement and a good season!

Boiler Up!

We disagree in principle in several respects .. boiler up and let’s beat Illinois

Reactions: Beorik
If Horvath has beaten out Hewitt, Murphy, and Doerue, I'm a little scared at what we've recruited. I haven't seen anything today that shows Horvath is a B1G caliber running back.
Well Doerue was out injured, Murphy was not dressed, so yeah, there’s that’s and don’t you feel stupid about your Horvath comment now that game is over? You ever heard the old phrase” it’s better to be silent and let people assume you’re a fool, then to talk and remove all doubt”?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT