ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa - Purdue Game Discussion Thread

Well Doerue was out injured, Murphy was not dressed, so yeah, there’s that’s and don’t you feel stupid about your Horvath comment now that game is over? You ever heard the old phrase” it’s better to be silent and let people assume you’re a fool, then to talk and remove all doubt”?
Umm, no. Horvath didn't have a good first half. He played much better in the second. I'll admit I was wrong about him being capable. He did a great job in the second half vs Iowa. But he's still only a north/south runner and I can pretty much guarantee those big north/south holes don't open up against Wisconsin. He isn't even close to being a complete back. When you need someone to get to the edge, which we're going to need this year, he's not the answer.
What he does great:
  1. Pass protection
  2. Soft hands for outlet pass
  3. Yards after contact
What he doesn't do well:
  1. Hit a hole quick
  2. Home run speed
  3. Speed to hit the edge

Umm, no. Horvath didn't have a good first half. He played much better in the second. I'll admit I was wrong about him being capable. He did a great job in the second half vs Iowa. But he's still only a north/south runner and I can pretty much guarantee those big north/south holes don't open up against Wisconsin. He isn't even close to being a complete back. When you need someone to get to the edge, which we're going to need this year, he's not the answer.
What he does great:
  1. Pass protection
  3. Yards after contact
What he doesn't do well:
  1. Hit a hole quick
  2. Home run speed
  3. Speed to hit the edge

5 ypc in the first half is pretty good. But yes an even better second half.

On 7 carries but he can’t call his own plays. I would be happy with 5 ypc all day everyday though.

Last edited:
What he does great:
  1. Pass protection
  3. Yards after contact
What he doesn't do well:
  1. Hit a hole quick
  2. Home run speed
  3. Speed to hit the edge
Dont disagree with your assessments. But games ebb and flow. I get a kick out of reading the posts that say he sucks and isn’t a BiG10 player, only for those same posters silently fading away as he runs for over 100 against a physical tough Big10 defense.

Congrats on the win Boilers. Dissapointed in how my team played in regards to the time of the turnovers and penalties. Really impressed by Bell and wish we had him!

Congrats on the win Boilers. Dissapointed in how my team played in regards to the time of the turnovers and penalties. Really impressed by Bell and wish we had him!

Are you godawfully frustrated with Iowa's play calling? It seemed they boxed themselves into forcing Petras to win the game when runs to the boundary were gaining something like 11 yards per carry (or so it seemed). Going to rewatch the game but that was my first take from the 2nd half.

ADVERTISEMENT