ADVERTISEMENT

WNIT: Purdue vs. Butler GAME THREAD (Viewing link)

Couple notes:

Rashunda Jones gets the start in place of Madison Layden.

McKenna Layden is listed as questionable, but was going through warm ups. Looks like we could see her out there for the first time since February 11th.

Butler 13 Purdue 11 at the end of the first quarter. Alaina one point, Smith 2, Terry and Ellis each with 4.

Where the hell has this aggression been in Alaina all damn year???
Alaina has a role next year if she wants it. Play defense, rebound, set screens and make layups. I can envision her getting 8-12 minutes a game if she, to quote Coach Painter, keeps it simple.

Purdue up 31 to 28 at the half. Mil and Ellis lead with 6, 4 other players with 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgarlitz
I tried listening to Bob FM but the female sidekick to Tim Newton is horrible. Absolute definition of nails on a chalkboard! Screeching at the top of her lungs - I had to bail on that.
Now watching on the YouTube feed - video is blurry at times but audio is 100x better.
(Love Tim Newton but could not take the color gal).

… WTH is up with Mila Reynolds ??? Did not see her coming with this kind of production tonight! But welcome to the party young lady!

Reactions: MichaelRR
3rd quarter was good for us. Reynolds and Smith looked like they were excited to play and the stats back that. That could prove well for next year.

Wisconsin is down to S. Indiana 37-22. S. Indiana is 25-6 this year.

Go Boilers!

Mike Carmin reporting the next game is Thursday at 7pm in Mackey. I hope everyone comes out and pack the place.

Reactions: tomgloe
Negatives -

Spider Jones - she wasn't awful but she seemed unsure of herself a bit tonight. Only logged 15 mins because others we're making more of an impact.

The butler streaming channel in the first quarter. Way to regroup and finish strong.

Positives -

Mila Reynolds - best game by far as a boilermaker. Played her game, shooting threes, taking a big charge late. She had a nice two step back down into a short turnaround jumper that helped our cushion late, very nice composed move by her. This is why I'm glad we kept playing, even in a 3rd tier tournament. Mila can build from this in the offseason.

Terry - steady, sure 6 TO's but again just contributed so much in rebounds, leading the break, assists, steals.

Jayla Smith - confidence is a hell of a thing in any sport. We've seen these spurts before and that's probably all they are but I'm happy for her to have a good game back at home. Stayed aggressive, made some tough shots in the lane.

Purdue Crowd - looked pretty good from the broadcast and sounded even better when we went on runs. Hoping we can host our next game.

Also wanted to say I was pleasantly suprised with the commentator/analyst on the broadcast. He wasn't bias one way or the other, knew alot of purdue's players from HS.

Final thoughts -

I was way off on predicting Monson to get more minutes. She only came in at the end with under a minute to go.

Swanson also played without her knee brace for the first time and maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me, but she seemed to move a little more fluidly.

Negatives -

Spider Jones - she wasn't awful but she seemed unsure of herself a bit tonight. Only logged 15 mins because others we're making more of an impact.

The butler streaming channel in the first quarter. Way to regroup and finish strong.

Positives -

Mila Reynolds - best game by far as a boilermaker. Played her game, shooting threes, taking a big charge late. She had a nice two step back down into a short turnaround jumper that helped our cushion late, very nice composed move by her. This is why I'm glad we kept playing, even in a 3rd tier tournament. Mila can build from this in the offseason.

Terry - steady, sure 6 TO's but again just contributed so much in rebounds, leading the break, assists, steals.

Jayla Smith - confidence is a hell of a thing in any sport. We've seen these spurts before and that's probably all they are but I'm happy for her to have a good game back at home. Stayed aggressive, made some tough shots in the lane.

Purdue Crowd - looked pretty good from the broadcast and sounded even better when we went on runs. Hoping we can host our next game.

Also wanted to say I was pleasantly suprised with the commentator/analyst on the broadcast. He wasn't bias one way or the other, knew alot of purdue's players from HS.

Final thoughts -

I was way off on predicting Monson to get more minutes. She only came in at the end with under a minute to go.

Swanson also played without her knee brace for the first time and maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me, but she seemed to move a little more fluidly.
Mike Carmin reporting the next game is Thursday at 7pm in Mackey. I hope everyone comes out and pack the place.
Wonder what the gate will be? I’d imagine they’ll do a cheap student ticket promotion. Nice to see some returning players for next year play well.

Negatives -

Positives -

Final thoughts -

Good points. Swanson is going to be good. I am sure the brace labors her in some way. Having her 100% healthy and confident will be fun to watch. She competes. Mila!! Improving her physical readiness can improve her opportunity. Good to see her draining 3’s. Agree on Monson. Thought she might get the nod to play more. Jayla was needed and stepped up. Seemed to play more free and confident. Monson seems very connected with Swanson, MA and A. Reynolds. So maybe she stays one more year? I think Monson and Layden are two potential portal entries.

Good points. Swanson is going to be good. I am sure the brace labors her in some way. Having her 100% healthy and confident will be fun to watch. She competes. Mila!! Improving her physical readiness can improve her opportunity. Good to see her draining 3’s. Agree on Monson. Thought she might get the nod to play more. Jayla was needed and stepped up. Seemed to play more free and confident. Monson seems very connected with Swanson, MA and A. Reynolds. So maybe she stays one more year? I think Monson and Layden are two potential portal entries.
No doubt about Swanson, I'm excited to see what a full healthy year of offseason conditioning/strength training and practicing can do for her. She's starting to show more of that "wiggle" CKG was talking about haha.

Good observation on Monson, I've noticed that connection with some of her teammates too from the Purdue social media accounts and interacting with teammates during games/timeouts. That's one of the reasons I never thought she'd transfer.. plus she's an unranked frosh. I'm not sure if she expected to play many minutes this season. Glad to have her on the team, she seems like a great unselfish teammate.

No doubt about Swanson, I'm excited to see what a full healthy year of offseason conditioning/strength training and practicing can do for her. She's starting to show more of that "wiggle" CKG was talking about haha.

Good observation on Monson, I've noticed that connection with some of her teammates too from the Purdue social media accounts and interacting with teammates during games/timeouts. That's one of the reasons I never thought she'd transfer.. plus she's an unranked frosh. I'm not sure if she expected to play many minutes this season. Glad to have her on the team, she seems like a great unselfish teammate.

I am hopeful that KG has communicated to Monson that this year was about learning the college game and that if she applies herself in the offseason there is an opportunity for her to play a big role on this team going forward, maybe not starting, but first off the bench and scoring sparkplug seem to be a role she could fill with her skill set and personality.

Before some troll ramps up his mis-information campaign again, let me state upfront I see a lot of potential in Jones, but she has a LOT of work to do to be ready for next season. In 28 games, she hit 13+ points 10 times 4 or less points 16 times and 5-12 only twice. The difference was if she could get to the rim, she scored big, if not, she was utterly ineffective. For her to be a reliable option, she has to add more tools to her arsenal other than driving to the hoop. If she doesn't, she indeed will be Smith 2.0.

I REALLY like Swanson's demeanor and skills. I think she can be a pretty good player for us for the next three years. She is a scorer, much like CKG was but already a better defender and rebounder. She plays with moxy and spirit and seems to bring the rest of the team up with her. I hope she starts at the 3 next season.

Smith, Mila, and Alaina.... Where the hell have you girls been all season? Smith has had flashes of brilliance, but has mostly been MIA. Mila has looked lazy and disinterested in nearly all her playing time unless she was on the floor with Jones for brief flashes, and Alaina just looked lost and in WAY over her head. Good game from all three, now BACK IT UP. Otherwise I am okay with all three being buried on the bench. IF they want to play more next year, Mila needs to lose weight and get into better condition, Alaina needs to get a lot stronger and mentally more agressive, and Smith needs to be there every game, and able to hit the intermediate jump shot when she gets it.

Let's see what the next game holds.

Yeah if Mila can get her conditioning up, she can be a contributer for the team going forward. She has all the resources she needs to be a heck of a player(purdue staff- her mom/dad as coaches - sisters to practice with). There was a reason she was a top 60 player out of HS.

Let's hope she has the drive to work on her game this offseason. It was nice to see her show out last night.

I am hopeful that KG has communicated to Monson that this year was about learning the college game and that if she applies herself in the offseason there is an opportunity for her to play a big role on this team going forward, maybe not starting, but first off the bench and scoring sparkplug seem to be a role she could fill with her skill set and personality.

Before some troll ramps up his mis-information campaign again, let me state upfront I see a lot of potential in Jones, but she has a LOT of work to do to be ready for next season. In 28 games, she hit 13+ points 10 times 4 or less points 16 times and 5-12 only twice. The difference was if she could get to the rim, she scored big, if not, she was utterly ineffective. For her to be a reliable option, she has to add more tools to her arsenal other than driving to the hoop. If she doesn't, she indeed will be Smith 2.0.

I REALLY like Swanson's demeanor and skills. I think she can be a pretty good player for us for the next three years. She is a scorer, much like CKG was but already a better defender and rebounder. She plays with moxy and spirit and seems to bring the rest of the team up with her. I hope she starts at the 3 next season.

Smith, Mila, and Alaina.... Where the hell have you girls been all season? Smith has had flashes of brilliance, but has mostly been MIA. Mila has looked lazy and disinterested in nearly all her playing time unless she was on the floor with Jones for brief flashes, and Alaina just looked lost and in WAY over her head. Good game from all three, now BACK IT UP. Otherwise I am okay with all three being buried on the bench. IF they want to play more next year, Mila needs to lose weight and get into better condition, Alaina needs to get a lot stronger and mentally more agressive, and Smith needs to be there every game, and able to hit the intermediate jump shot when she gets it.

Let's see what the next game holds.
Listen, I will not tolerate anyone doubting Spider Jones.

Just messing, but yeah it's odd because earlier in the year it seemed like she preferred her jumper over getting into the lane for a layup and now its mainly the latter. IMO, she has a solid 12ft and in jumper, just seems like she's forgotten/lost confidence in it.

She's even shown a driving one foot jumper a few times(best way I could describe it.. I specifically remember her doing it in the Texas A&M game) this year which seems almost impossible to stop. I think it's just about her gaining more confidence/strength and tightening up her dribble. She has all the tools to be a great player for us.

I hope she gets the start again on Thursday.

Yeah I think we're starting to see the real Sophie Swanson. You ended up just listening right? Swanson had a great hard crossover where she showed good explosion, drove down, sucked the defense in, and kicked out for an open shot.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Listen, I will not tolerate anyone doubting Spider Jones.

Just messing, but yeah it's odd because earlier in the year it seemed like she preferred her jumper over getting into the lane for a layup and now its mainly the latter. IMO, she has a solid 12ft and in jumper, just seems like she's forgotten/lost confidence in it.

She's even shown a driving one foot jumper a few times(best way I could describe it.. I specifically remember her doing it in the Texas A&M game) this year which seems almost impossible to stop. I think it's just about her gaining more confidence/strength and tightening up her dribble. She has all the tools to be a great player for us.

I hope she gets the start again on Thursday.

Yeah I think we're starting to see the real Sophie Swanson. You ended up just listening right? Swanson had a great hard crossover where she showed good explosion, drove down, sucked the defense in, and kicked out for an open shot.
Yeah, the poor video was making me nauseous so I watched the IU game on mute and listened to Newton. Man, I wish I had seen that. Tighten up her D, get healthier, stronger, and she could really be special. I think she might end up the best of the freshmen class when it's all said and done, and that is not to disparage MA or Jones, I just really like Swanson's game and demeanor that much.

Yeah, the poor video was making me nauseous so I watched the IU game on mute and listened to Newton. Man, I wish I had seen that. Tighten up her D, get healthier, stronger, and she could really be special. I think she might end up the best of the freshmen class when it's all said and done, and that is not to disparage MA or Jones, I just really like Swanson's game and demeanor that much.
They have the 2nd through 4th quarter replay on the butler athletics YouTube channel if you wanted to go back and watch. It's watchable now.

Any of you folks watch the Iowa game? I usually hate getting on the refs but this game West Va had a right to be a little pissed, they were pretty bad. I wanted and bet Iowa on the money line so I was rooting for them, they were fortunate to win despite the lopsided ending score. I think Colorado beats them.

Any of you folks watch the Iowa game? I usually hate getting on the refs but this game West Va had a right to be a little pissed, they were pretty bad. I wanted and bet Iowa on the money line so I was rooting for them, they were fortunate to win despite the lopsided ending score. I think Colorado beats them.
If Colorado doesn't, I don't give Iowa much hope against UCLA the way Iowa has played this last weekend. I thought WV got the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls, they were very physical all game long and were holding Clark every possession at some points.

Iowa has the best player in the country....as annoying as she can be at times....she's still the best. I think that gives Iowa a fighting chance against whoever they play.

One thing I really notice as I watch the top teams outside the Big Ten is the size they have. I was watching Southern Cal this weekend and they are huge at every position. It seemed like the whole team was 6'3 or taller. Lol. I notice the same thing when I watch the other top teams....S. Carolina, LSU, UConn, UCLA, Texas etc.

Seems the Big Ten is really behind in having the size to compete with these teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT