ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana v. Purdue (Game Thread)

no, braden is good but he's not 6'3" and built like a football player. Braden is very small, but very smart and the Kramer attitude. People throw Kramer's name around kinda flippantly imo...he was really special.
Glad you clarified. For a minute I thought this was a let’s go Branden post

I’m saying why is a 58% FT shooter in the game in that situation?

I guess Painter could have called a TO to sub him - his defense and rebounding was good down the stretch I thought. I think if he had caught it cleanly, he was going back to SS right away. Frustrating because he has a good stroke AND just made two big ones.

Boilers have to figure out how they want to play on offense - looked a little out of sorts much of the game. Now, Indiana is at the top of the league on defense, and I think the Boilers showed some frustration, too.

Was a sub allowed after X's made free throws? I think it would be, but the rules now days seem to change daily.

You can, as I understand the rule - have to be at the scorer's table before the FT is made. CMP has said sometimes he goes on feel - speculating he thought because TW just made two, he'd ride with him in the game.....I'd also speculate he wasn't the primary option.

Because this team is full of idiots. There is no reason to foul. We have to get a stop regardless. Why would you NOT leave yourself with the ball in case they do score

Im about over my patience with painter
I think you have to look at the fouls though. We played more aggressive D to try to force a turnover, and then when the ball-handler got around the D, then we gave the foul. We weren't fouling just to foul. It was a little tricky considering the time and score though for sure.

I think you have to look at the fouls though. We played more aggressive D to try to force a turnover, and then when the ball-handler got around the D, then we gave the foul. We weren't fouling just to foul. It was a little tricky considering the time and score though for sure.

They abaolutely were fouling to foul hence like 3 or 4 fouls in like 15 seconds

There is zero mathematical reason to do what we did. If we were up 3 then yes that is a strat that is understandable.

But being up only 2 means even if we foul or dont foul we have to STOP them from scoring.

Eithout fouling u guarantee you have a chance to win if they do score. Our strat just put EVERYTHING on stopping them. It took away the only other outcome in our favor.

I have defended painter but Im about out of patience. From stupid shit like this to never recruiting what wins and instead recruiting giants and playing an outdated brand of bball that doesnt win come tourney time.

Im over it. This teams play the last month is inexcuseable and anything short of a great run needs to meet the scrutiny that is deserved

• Wow
Reactions: Purdue85
A bad win is still better than a good loss.

I will admit, my expectations for the tournament have crashed. This team is the most talented Purdue team I've ever seen, but it might also be one of the sloppiest. They can beat anyone and be beaten by anyone. Maybe they can take a day or two and 'decompress' before the gauntlet of the tournaments starts.

This season has been like a roller coaster going down the first big drop... slowly near the apex and accelerating as it goes down hill. :D
I like this team but we are predictable, and defense is not good.

There is zero mathematical reason to do what we did. If we were up 3 then yes that is a strat that is understandable.

But being up only 2 means even if we foul or dont foul we have to STOP them from scoring.

Eithout fouling u guarantee you have a chance to win if they do score. Our strat just put EVERYTHING on stopping them. It took away the only other outcome in our favor.

I have defended painter but Im about out of patience. From stupid shit like this to never recruiting what wins and instead recruiting giants and playing an outdated brand of bball that doesnt win come tourney time.

Im over it. This teams play the last month is inexcuseable and anything short of a great run needs to meet the scrutiny that is deserved
It was 3 fouls in about 20 seconds. One of them was on the offensive rebound that TJD got. That is completely irrelevant to the conversation. The first 2 were when Hunter (I think) was guarding closely but let XJ (I think) get past him. He took the foul as opposed to giving up an easy basket or even an and one.

I actually didn't see the foul that did end up putting them to the line with about 8 seconds left so I can't comment on that.

As I said, it's tricky considering the time and score. But, to be a contrarian, what happens if we don't commit the fouls, give up a 3, miss our shot, then are forced to foul? Now we don't have them in the bonus like we need.

Correction. You were right on the 15 seconds. One was on Hunter, one on Sasha, then the foul on the rebound by Sasha.

I'll head up the committee for you to cheer for somebody else!

It was 3 fouls in about 20 seconds. One of them was on the offensive rebound that TJD got. That is completely irrelevant to the conversation. The first 2 were when Hunter (I think) was guarding closely but let XJ (I think) get past him. He took the foul as opposed to giving up an easy basket or even an and one.

I actually didn't see the foul that did end up putting them to the line with about 8 seconds left so I can't comment on that.

As I said, it's tricky considering the time and score. But, to be a contrarian, what happens if we don't commit the fouls, give up a 3, miss our shot, then are forced to foul? Now we don't have them in the bonus like we need.

And is that not better than giving up a 3 and having no time left to even attempt the shot that you just described???

Of course we could still lose by not fouling but you atleast guarantee yourself time to get a good shot where as fouling means you HAVE to get the stop.

Its just stupid mathematically

And is that not better than giving up a 3 and having no time left to even attempt the shot that you just described???

Of course we could still lose by not fouling but you atleast guarantee yourself time to get a good shot where as fouling means you HAVE to get the stop.

Its just stupid mathematically

The first foul on Eric Hunter was when XJ might have gotten free.....even Rob Hummel commented it was a good foul - still 29+ seconds left with a rest to 20 on the shot clock. The next foul was the tough one - Sasha Stefanovic on the wing with 17 secs or so - now the reset to 20 effectively turns off the shot clock. Then the last foul on TJD rebound after a really good look from three for Stewart.

Trevion Williams gets the deflection and fouled with jut less than 12 secs left - and makes both FT's. Here's where Purdue has really fallen down with closing games having effective control or getting on the wrong side of the possessions because of not making the simple play.

Hunter's foul on the drive with about 8 secs was ridiculous to me given all the physical play that wasn't called all day......but hey......no surprise with Bo and Big Ten officiating.

Painter said post-game if Trevion Williams had made one FT, he would have fouled at mid-court, but he wouldn't have up four. Big Tre looked good on the two he made, but he looked a little tight on the next two he missed. Purdue finished 14-21 (with three missed front ends)....not terrible but not good. Indiana was 10/10 by the way.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

winning 25 games each year not good enough for you, who you going to hire? John Wooden?

Because this team is full of idiots. There is no reason to foul. We have to get a stop regardless. Why would you NOT leave yourself with the ball in case they do score

Im about over my patience with painter
Did you ever play basketball?

Reactions: mathboy
Im one of the few that is with you on Painter. If we have a great tournament run I will shut my mouth about him. If we get booted first or 2nd round it will be a different story. Not that it matters though.
Your thoughts don't matter, you are correct.

Reactions: mathboy
Your thoughts don't matter, you are correct.
Neither does anyone else's thoughts on here
winning 25 games each year not good enough for you, who you going to hire? John Wooden?
I would rather win 20 games a year and have tournament success honestly. Look at the Dallas Cowboys in the last 20 years. Lots of season success but not in the playoffs. Are they just keeping the same coach and players? No. They are making changes to try to get post season championship.

All opinions are equal. Some don't understand that and just troll comments they don't like.
You are correct. It's a public forum. People can say whatever they want. I don't agree with a lot of peoples opinions on various things. No reason to bash them or start throwing insults at them. Just ignore them and move to the next.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
You are correct. It's a public forum. People can say whatever they want. I don't agree with a lot of peoples opinions on various things. No reason to bash them or start throwing insults at them. Just ignore them and move to the next.
"bash"

"insults"

there's a LOT of emotional ranting after a loss or close win. "Bash" players... "insult" coaches.

If people can post whatever they want, it's fair game to follow it up pointing out how silly the comments can be. If that's intolerable, this might not be the right place for an emotional rant.

"bash"

"insults"

there's a LOT of emotional ranting after a loss or close win. "Bash" players... "insult" coaches.

If people can post whatever they want, it's fair game to follow it up pointing out how silly the comments can be. If that's intolerable, this might not be the right place for an emotional rant.
"Emotional ranting" means reading an opinion you disagree with and having nothing to counter, so the response is about the person not the subject. Maturity is the ability to stay on topic. If you think you're going to agree with everyone's POV, it's you who may be in the wrong place.

"bash"

"insults"

Never said it's intolerable. Just shows what type of people are when they go off topic and attack otbers for their opinions. I don't care what others say. I don't lose any sleep at night. Just saying when you guys get your "feelings" hurt because someone may have a different opinion than you, lots of you take it personally and start to personally attack others. Just shows your true character is all it does. You can live your life however you wish. Being miserable and a dick doesn't get you very far or well liked is all.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Okay, then, by your rules "bash" and "insult" means reading a response to your opinion you disagree with and having nothing to counter. If you think you're going to agree with everyone's response to your POV, you may be in the wrong place.

I'm getting the hang of this "forum-ing" thang...
It's not complicated. Read opinion you disagree with.....post why you disagree with it. That's what I try to do. It seems like a waste of my time to respond to a comment and just insult the person. I mean, seriously....are we on the same team or what?

Reactions: Jbigler1986
Never said it's intolerable. Just shows what type of people are when they go off topic and attack otbers for their opinions. I don't care what others say. I don't lose any sleep at night. Just saying when you guys get your "feelings" hurt because someone may have a different opinion than you, lots of you take it personally and start to personally attack others. Just shows your true character is all it does. You can live your life however you wish. Being miserable and a dick doesn't get you very far or well liked is all.
Same exact thing can be said for those that don't like having their negative posts challenged. You very often see a negative post come up, then someone counters it, then you see the old "people can't post things unless it's a certain way" type posts.

And then those counter posts get labeled as "personal attacks" when none exits other than simple hurt feelings from overly emotional people.

It's a circular back and forth that has gone on for ages and will continue to do so and is a direct reflection of our society as a whole right now. I've certainly been guilty of it and to a degree, your post here is as well but is your "right" to post it. Which I am not trying to single you out by any stretch, just using your response to make my point. It certainly goes both ways though and the responses someone gets, are going to be based off of how or what they posted most of the time.

No one is stopping anyone from posting what they want here, only the mods can do that. There is a lot of hypocrisy in posts where some poster bashes a player or the coach and then gets the same treatment from others about that post. If someone is going to make a post like that, they should expect and be able to handle the backlash they KNOW is coming and not cry about it when it happens (again not directing that at you).

I am like you, I couldn't possibly care less what people post..... even when I respond with a "call out" as it were because life is too short and this is just a silly forum that has no bearing on any of the Purdue sports programs. As I have also said in the past, if anyone of us really had any idea on how to coach a B1G level program, we wouldn't be on this forum to begin with. I end up with some on ignore though just because I know what they post is going to be a powder keg and makes the forum easier to read.

Here is a perfect example to summarize my longish post: Bonefish (Lenny) and I have been going at each other for YEARS... and that isn't an exaggeration.... but I genuinely would have a beer with him at a tailgate or something... shake his hand.. and chuckle at all the back and forths we have had on here.

It's just words of text on a forum people, it shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Last edited:
"attack others"

this is just not a good look. People will respond. Doesn't mean they're a miserable d*ck.

It shouldn't be taken seriously. I don't. Heck my wife gives me shit all the time trying to say "I act like I don't care about a lot of things." I just look at life where it's way to short. We have much time here. I'm not going to spend years being pissed off or stress about stuff that is out of my control. I've always been healthy, stress free never get headaches or any of that. That's just how I go about life. And I enjoy life to the fullest.

Reactions: BBG
It's not complicated. Read opinion you disagree with.....post why you disagree with it. That's what I try to do. It seems like a waste of my time to respond to a comment and just insult the person. I mean, seriously....are we on the same team or what?

You're taking it too personally, when you look at disagreement with an opinion as not being on the same team.

I get what you're saying, and "being on the same team" is some of the responses which have irritated you.

It's all good. Have a great Sunday.

"attack others"

this is just not a good look. People will respond. Doesn't mean they're a miserable d*ck.
I have found that that when people are huge assholes and dicks to others for no reason mostly. They usually are pretty miserable in life for whatever reason. Try to bring others down to their level. Yeah this thread has kind of spiraled off topic some. Whoops.

You're taking it too personally, when you look at disagreement with an opinion as not being on the same team.

I get what you're saying, and "being on the same team" is some of the responses which have irritated you.

It's all good. Have a great Sunday.
I have 0 issues with a disagreement on the topic. Like if I say "we need a new coach because...". Then someone disagrees for whatever reason they give. It's when the troll, Losier, IUFan and etc. Comments start flying. Those are the issues I have. Again people can say whatever they want to. It's just distasteful in my opinion.

I have found that that when people are huge assholes and dicks to others for no reason mostly. They usually are pretty miserable in life for whatever reason. Try to bring others down to their level. Yeah this thread has kind of spiraled off topic some. Whoops.
could be.

Sometimes people are just pretty blunt, or direct. I tend to be that way too often.

This forum removes tonality and body language, which makes up the VAST majority of how humans communicate effectively.

I've had more than one person just not "get me" in my follow ups, then they act like a d*ck (for awhile) to virtually anything I post. It goes with the territory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT