ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana v. Purdue (Game Thread)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good afternoon, ladies and gentleman. It's Saturday, and Mackey Arena hosts the last regular season game of the year for the visiting Indiana Hoosiers and the #8-ranked Purdue Boilermakers. Tip-off is scheduled for around 2:00 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on ESPN.

These two teams met back in Bloomington in late January where the Hoosiers pulled out a 68-65 victory in the last half minute to end a nine-game losing streak against the Boilers. Purdue was its own worst enemy in that contest with poor FT shooting and turnovers.....playing into Indiana's strategy somewhat. The Hoosiers were the more aggressive team, and I expect they'll attempt a similar game plan and try to get physical on the defensive end. On offense, they'll try to work Trace Jackson-Davis, their offensive leader, in the paint, along with Race Thompson. In the last game, Jackson-Davis was limited to 11 minutes and four points, but Indiana got 20 from Lafayette native, Rob Phinisee, and 18 from Xavier Johnson. They'll likely need similar production from the back-court, which is expected to still be without Trey Galloway today. He was a key on defense last time out giving Jaden Ivey some problems.

Purdue is coming off a disappointing last two games, dropping both at Michigan State and Wisconsin on Tuesday. The Wisconsin loss officially ended any chance at getting a share of the regular season conference championship. The Boilers will be looking to refocus and get some momentum before heading into the Big Ten Tournament next week. They'll likely be the #3-seed and play in the last of the quarterfinal games next Friday evening in Indianapolis regardless of the outcome of this game. Indiana is squarely on the NCAA tournament bubble for an at-large selection and may need another marquee win to get in the field. If the rivalry between the two schools wasn't enough, the Boilers would like nothing more than to continue to put Indiana's NCAA tournament selection hopes in further jeopardy. And if all of that weren't enough.....it is Senior Day for Purdue. Although they all have eligibility left, it is expected to be the last game for Seniors Sasha Stefanovic, Trevion Williams, and Eric Hunter, Jr. Sophomore Jaden Ivey is projected to be a top-five NBA Draft pick this year, so it will very likely also be his last game in Mackey Arena playing for the Boilers.

I would expect the crowd to try and energize the Boilers, which will help, but they'll need to just get back to the basics - work the plays and establish an inside-outside presence, limit the turnovers, control the glass, make FT's....and defend like they have the last several games. The last couple of games has been more about offensive production breakdowns and turnovers than the defense. If Purdue comes out focused, with energy, I like their chances. Last time around, they let Indiana establish the tempo (even with TJD in foul trouble), and lost their composure with turnovers and failing to capitalize on numerous opportunities.

I would expect a tough effort from the Hoosiers - they have a lot to play for beyond the rivalry.

Can the Boilers put aside the recent disappointments, get back on track toward a post-season run, and send out the Seniors with a big win?

We shall see......

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Last edited:
Good afternoon, ladies and gentleman. It's Saturday, and Mackey Arena hosts the last regular season game of the year for the visiting Indiana Hoosiers and the #8-ranked Purdue Boilermakers. Tip-off is scheduled for around 2:00 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on ESPN.

These two teams met back in Bloomington in late January where the Hoosiers pulled out a 68-65 victory in the last half minute to end a nine-game losing streak against the Boilers. Purdue was its own worst enemy in that contest with poor FT shooting and turnovers.....playing into Indiana's strategy somewhat. The Hoosiers were the more aggressive team, and I expect they'll attempt a similar game plan and try to get physical on the defensive end. On offense, they'll try to work Trace Jackson-Davis, their offensive leader, in the paint, along with Race Thompson. In the last game, Jackson-Davis was limited to 11 minutes and four points, but Indiana got 20 from Lafayette native, Rob Phinisee, and 18 from Xavier Johnson. They'll likely need similar production from the back-court, which is expected to still be without Trey Galloway today. He was a key on defense last time out giving Jaden Ivey some problems.

Purdue is coming off a disappointing last two games, dropping both at Michigan State and Wisconsin on Tuesday. The Wisconsin loss officially ended any chance at getting a share of the regular season conference championship. The Boilers will be looking to refocus and get some momentum before heading into the Big Ten Tournament next week. They'll likely be the #3-seed and play in the last of the quarterfinal games next Friday evening in Indianapolis regardless of the outcome of this game. Indiana is squarely on the NCAA tournament bubble for an at-large selection and may need another marquee win to get in the field. If the rivalry between the two schools wasn't enough, the Boilers would like nothing more than to continue to put Indiana's NCAA tournament selection hopes in further jeopardy. And if all of that weren't enough.....it is Senior Day for Purdue. Although they all have eligibility left, it is expected to be the last game for Seniors Sasha Stefanovic, Trevion Williams, and Eric Hunter, Jr. Sophomore Jaden Ivey is projected to be a top-five NBA Draft pick this year, so it will very likely also be his last game in Mackey Arena playing for the Boilers.

I would expect the crowd to try and energize the Boilers, which will help, but they'll need to just get back to the basics - work the plays and establish an inside-outside presence, limit the turnovers, control the glass, make FT's....and defend like they have the last several games. The last couple of games has been more about offensive production breakdowns and turnovers than the defense. If Purdue comes out focused, with energy, I like their chances. Last time around, they let Indiana establish the tempo (even with TJD in foul trouble), and lost their composure with turnovers and failing to capitalize on numerous opportunities.

I would expect a tough effort from the Hoosiers - they have a lot to play for beyond the rivalry.

Can the Boilers put aside the recent disappointments, get back on track toward a post-season run, and send out the Seniors with a big win?

We shall see......

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
Galloway not dressed or on the court anyway. Wish he were playing

I am rarely as ready to get pissed as I am now - for the smallest thing most probably. I think there is a years' old Xanax here somewhere.
I absolutely understand. Hopefully someone post the stream for the Westfield Carmel game for this forum. I plan on going or I would get it.

9 minutes left in Tennessee-Arkansas with 12 minutes til the top of the hour. In a blowout.

Games are taking WAAAAAAAAAAY too long this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT