ADVERTISEMENT

How to Watch & Game Thread: #1 Purdue vs #16 Fairleigh Dickinson

Nobody has asked if analytics play a role not just before tipoff or during game . Which side of the analytics blade is the safest? Follow the numbers all game or possibly leave them too early and go with your gut? I’ve asked this for a few years…it’s rhetorical, but I know which way I lean
We didn't follow the safe/numbers or adjust when they didn't work. That's why you or your assistants need to adjust to make the game become 'safe in your favor. Zach was our safe bet all year and got a big 0 touches in the last 12 minutes. That's not safe.

Reactions: tjreese
FD only scored 63 pts. They didn't run us out of the gym. Our offense failed us.
And in fairness they hit some tough shots, got some good bounces and Purdue missed some easy shots. Zach started out shooting short with little guys on him…how do you shoot short unless a bit of fouling, but Purdue came up empty and then was more than willing to get this game over early by shooting the open 3s…which missed like so often this year. I think the O has allowed too many 3s all year, but I’m in a minority I’m sure

People posting zachs stats as if its some example of post up centric basketball not being the issue LOLOL

Every year we have the worst guards and wings on the floor in march and lose because of it. Take away the dominant big with double teams and get a free win because our guards and wings are always scrubs.

FIND SOME ****ING BALL HANDLERS THAT CREATE THEIR SHOT AND KNOCK DOWN SHOOTERS. THAT IS HOW YOU WIN
You ever heard of ivey

Let’s be honest folks, this team overachieved all year, not really good. Fun year with a horrid ending, time for a few to move on and over recruit them. If guys like Newman and Morton want to return that’s fine, however, Purdue needs to do better on the perimeter. Newman is a great kid, however, he’s been here 4 years, when is enough enough?

Reactions: buffalospartan
You ever heard of ivey
I did and I watched us still feature a big man in the paint back to basket the entire game with williams and edey instead of doing high PnR drive to baslet or kick for 3s like everyone else that makes runs in the tourney including the ONLY purdue team built that way that made a run in the tourney with edwards.

Weird. Heard of it?

Reactions: Boiler8285
We didn't follow the safe/numbers or adjust when they didn't work. That's why you or your assistants need to adjust to make the game become 'safe in your favor. Zach was our safe bet all year and got a big 0 touches in the last 12 minutes. That's not safe.
That is true but I’m talking game planning on a team and individual planning on the players on that team. If you follow analytics all game based upon previous data and things go sideways you can change that game plan too early or not change it early enough. It is a philosophical approach that either choice could be correct in different situations. I have written many times that zI believe every game can be from a different population than those that generated the pre game data and therefore I’m a bit more untrusting previous analytics and a bit more gut feel for a game. Both styles can be wrong

That is true but I’m talking game planning on a team and individual planning on the players on that team. If you follow analytics all game based upon previous data and things go sideways you can change that game plan too early or not change it early enough. It is a philosophical approach that either choice could be correct in different situations. I have written many times that zI believe every game can be from a different population than those that generated the pre game data and therefore I’m a bit more untrusting previous analytics and a bit more gut feel for a game. Both styles can be wrong
TJ - you are always so level-headed on here - I just respect the sh*t outta you! You da man...

Let’s be honest folks, this team overachieved all year, not really good. Fun year with a horrid ending, time for a few to move on and over recruit them. If guys like Newman and Morton want to return that’s fine, however, Purdue needs to do better on the perimeter. Newman is a great kid, however, he’s been here 4 years, when is enough enough?
He came in and I told Kim he could make a difference if he wouldn’t go on autopass and he immediately got a rebound off a missed FT and then the next time down Braden threw him a pass and he turned his head to see the goal and fumbled the ball that they went down and scored. 😔

Really? Newman played 15 minutes had 2-4-2 and your takeaway is that he’s the one who needs to go?

TJ - you are always so level-headed on here - I just respect the sh*t outta you! You da man...
My niece in Florida Butler grad said her husband was drinking …Purdue grad and one of their two Butler cheerleaders ask my wife how zI was doing and Kim said fine…watching the game and texting and then I told Kim…see those two teams playing Memphis/Florida Atlantic…I think Purdue might have played either of those two much better. I think Purdue plays the bigger typically better teams better. I also have had enough other battles in my life that a game isn’t as big a deal as it once was. Thank you for the compliment though 😊

Reactions: Zaphod_B
It isn't just analytics. Yes, he likes the analytics. But analytics don't tell you to keep doing the same thing when it's not working. A lot of coaches use analytics, but they don't use them blindly. They come into the game with multiple plans and implement those plans when needed. Some on here don't like it when he is called stubborn. But I honestly don't know what else to call it? That was ridiculous tonight. My wife doesn't know anything about the game and she kept asking me why Edey was guarding someone so far from the basket? Honey, I can't tell you was all I could say.

I agree with you that the offense was also a huge problem and if I had to choose would say was the bigger issue. There again, we just kept doing the same thing and the NPOY shot zero times in what 12:00?

I really hope we see some humility from CMP and a willingness to think differently going forward. Otherwise I see more conference success and little to show in March. The B1G does not prepare us well for March. Too predictable and slow.

And in fairness they hit some tough shots, got some good bounces and Purdue missed some easy shots. Zach started out shooting short with little guys on him…how do you shoot short unless a bit of fouling, but Purdue came up empty and then was more than willing to get this game over early by shooting the open 3s…which missed like so often this year. I think the O has allowed too many 3s all year, but I’m in a minority I’m sure
When the 3s aren't falling this year and they drove to the basket, they built a lead. But then they would go back to throwing up 3s.

They have good shooters. Loyer was one of the best in the nation out of HS. Newman and Smith are good shooters. So is Jenkins. FD's players are better shooters than these guys? After 10 games in a Purdue uniform, something happens. What is it? If I can figure it out, I will provide free consulting services to Coach Painter.

Reactions: tjreese and drewjin
It isn't just analytics. Yes, he likes the analytics. But analytics don't tell you to keep doing the same thing when it's not working. A lot of coaches use analytics, but they don't use them blindly. They come into the game with multiple plans and implement those plans when needed. Some on here don't like it when he is called stubborn. But I honestly don't know what else to call it? That was ridiculous tonight. My wife doesn't know anything about the game and she kept asking me why Edey was guarding someone so far from the basket? Honey, I can't tell you was all I could say.

I agree with you that the offense was also a huge problem and if I had to choose would say was the bigger issue. There again, we just kept doing the same thing and the NPOY shot zero times in what 12:00?

I really hope we see some humility from CMP and a willingness to think differently going forward. Otherwise I see more conference success and little to show in March. The B1G does not prepare us well for March. Too predictable and slow.
My point was that you can leave the analytics too early by doing what you said…changing things. It may be subtle and it may be obvious and it may be wrong. I personally lean to that (gut) because I have a fundamentally, different thought behind the data and so a coach could change things whether noticed or not that made things worse. It’s entirely possible that water does in fact find its level inside a game and changing things might have made it worse. This is philosophical not about this game.

Years ago, there wasn’t nearly the data and so coaches were much more about feel inside a game with limited data and what few times they could scout a team. Personally I think coaching is like teaching. A person can learn X&Os and a person can learn pedagogical presentations , but I believe it is more art than knowledge. You need knowledge, but all having the same or needed knowledge will be separated by the art of teaching or coaching IzmO

People posting zachs stats as if its some example of post up centric basketball not being the issue LOLOL

Every year we have the worst guards and wings on the floor in march and lose because of it. Take away the dominant big with double teams and get a free win because our guards and wings are always scrubs.

FIND SOME ****ING BALL HANDLERS THAT CREATE THEIR SHOT AND KNOCK DOWN SHOOTERS. THAT IS HOW YOU WIN
Yeah, I hear you and you make good points. But what you ask is near impossible for Purdue to accomplish due to barriers. The only teams that get those type of athletic guards are programs that have a rich history/tradition. Basketball crazy state. Passionate fan base. Member of a power-5 conference. On TV a lot (Big Ten Network).
Oh wait,....I see your point...........................

ADVERTISEMENT