ADVERTISEMENT

How did Painter lose Phinesee?

So if you are correct, why was there the clapm clap chant and the ovation? That does argue against your position as no new info was found.
I’m pretty sure you and I had this discussion on this board before (but maybe it was with somebody else). An IU buddy of mine had tickets to that game. When his girlfriend couldn’t make it, I joined him. The support of Sampson was audible for sure, but it was not widespread percentage wise. If memory serves the largest contingent was a group in the student section behind one of the baskets. I remember thinking “these guys are idiots”, and my friend did too. But I don’t think it’s fair to give the impression that there was global support and clapping for Sampson across the crowd, that wasn’t the case. Now, that’s not an excuse for those fools that cheered him on, just that I don’t think it was the broad/majority support you implied.

Last edited:
The anonymous IU insiders did it, with no identification so if they are wrong they are able to escape blame. Got it, why wouldn't anyone think that is not OK?
Now you just sound dumb. The 247 iu insiders are Peegs and Rabjohns. They are not anonymous. Got it?

Every fan base will defend their coach till he is no longer coach. Many here think Painter has no shortcomings.

Also, Crean missed on A LOT of in state talent during the Zeller/Movement years.
I would call losing leads late in the game a shortcoming. I wouldn't call cheating a shortcoming.

Now you just sound dumb. The 247 iu insiders are Peegs and Rabjohns. They are not anonymous. Got it?

No, I am not dumb. I am ignorant of the 247 IU Insiders because I choose not to read the site. Thus, I am not aware of whomever they are. I was not previously aware that not reading all about IU lowered one's IQ.

As I understand it, both of them have a history of deriving income from pro-IU publications. Are they to be determined to be independent journalists free from bias or pro-IU inaccuracies? I don't think so. I would take their reports with multiple grains of salt.

Btw, if that is who they are then you should have identified them as such originally.

Last edited:
No, I am not dumb. I am ignorant of the 247 IU Insiders because I choose not to read the site. Thus, I am not aware of whomever they are. I was not previously aware that not reading all about IU lowered one's IQ.

As I understand it, both of them have a history of deriving income from pro-IU publications. Are they to be determined to be independent journalists free from bias or pro-IU inaccuracies? I don't think so. I would take theiir reports with multiple grains of salt.

Btw, if that is who they are then you should have identified them as such originally.
Or if I say the 247 IU insiders, you should assume I mean reporters. This entire conversation is silly. Does it make you feel better if Archie is 5/6 (about to be 6/7) in the state since taking over and not 5/5? Lol.

Why should I assume that? Says who? If you wish to communicate do so clearly. It is not the job of the reader to intuit what you may mean.

If inaccuracy gives the impression of arrogance then, yes, revise your math.

I think there might be some revisionist history going on here. I guess there are folks who tend to follow Goebbels philosophy: "If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it, and even you will come to believe it is true".

I’m pretty sure you and I had this discussion on this board before (but maybe it was with somebody else). An IU buddy of mine had tickets to that game. When his girlfriend couldn’t make it, I joined him. The support of Sampson was audible for sure, but it was not widespread percentage wise. If memory serves the largest contingent was a group in the student section behind one of the baskets. I remember thinking “these guys are idiots”, and my friend did too. But I don’t think it’s fair to give the impression that there was global support and clapping for Sampson across the crowd, that wasn’t the case. Now, that’s not an excuse for those fools that cheered him on, just that I don’t think it was the broad/majority support you implied.

All that I can say in response to your post is that I watched the game on tv and:

1. the cheers sounded very loud and widespread over the broadcast; and

2. the announcers made comments about the wide extent of the cheers and the support of the fans in attendance.

Let's just say that your impression and their's were wildly divergent.

I will also point out that no booing was heard as well, except at the Purdue players.

FYI, I actually did a YOUTUBE search. There is a video about the end of Sampson's last game. The crowd is on its' feet cheering. Again, not quite in line with your impression.

Last edited:
Phinessee is ok. Definitely not a world beater. He can't shoot a lick . He has to play for iu . He is the only player on the team that can handle the ball
He actually has a pretty good shot. He’s shooting 40% from deep. But yeah, not a world beater or a miss by Painter. Phinisee never wanted to play for him.

It's a miss any way you slice it. Whatever the reason he didn't want to be a boiler. IU stole a star from our back yard.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
He is a better shooter from outside than RL, presently at 22% from 3 11 games into the schedule. More than 1/3 of the way in. Didn't you have him in the 30s from 3? He'd have to shoot in the 40s now to make that.

how did Painter not lock this kid down for Purdue. He looks really good as a starter for iu. Taking the game over against PSU.
Another Painter whiff?
Because he can't recruit...especially at the PG position...it is why Purdue had the PG that they did the past three years(who had no other high major offers) and do not even have one now (never mind, while watching one from his own backyard win games for Purdue's arch rival).

Purdue...where Point Guards go to die (they should have that posted somewhere next to Play Hard in Mackey).

Last edited:
Big shot Bob. This is his first buzzer beater, but he's hit multiple big 3s this year in pressure situations. I loved his on court interview afterward, "Is that the biggest shot you've hit in your career?" "Yeah, so far."

Can't wait to see the next one.

Now you are simply here as a troll. You used to claim that you were here to debate. I always knew that wasn't true and you have now proved it.
When you talk crap after today's events, yea I'm going to troll you.

The entire thing started with debating who is the better 3pt shooting team between IU and Purdue. Those numbers are pretty interesting at the moment...

Excuse me, you have until today refused to acknowledge your prediction which has been demonstrated to be incorrect with little hope of change at this point. You rely upon anonymous sources or biased to suppott your positions. And now you admit to trolling. Glad that you are on record.

The difference between us is that I originally expected RL to shoot around 31-32 % from 3. I was wrong it seems. I was way too high.

As someone with a degree in Informatics, I am sure that you are aware of the concept of Proof by Negation.
tenor.gif

Excuse me, you have until today refused to acknowledge your prediction which has been demonstrated to be incorrect with little hope of change at this point. You rely upon anonymous sources or biased to suppott your positions. And now you admit to trolling. Glad that you are on record.

The difference between us is that I originally expected RL to shoot around 31-32 % from 3. I was wrong it seems. I was way too high.
Lol did you originally expect Purdue was a tournament team this year? Did you think Purdue would shoot a higher percentage from 3 than IU this year? Predictions can be wrong lol.

You better hope Romeo's shooting doesn't lead to him coming back next year haha.

Because he can't recruit...especially at the PG position...it is why Purdue had the PG that they did the past three years(who had no other high major offers) and do not even have one now (never mind, while watching one from his own backyard win games for Purdue's arch rival).
Who are you talking about?

I admit that Romeo is shooting worse from 3 than I expected. Still, he's not someone that teams can just leave open, like Nojel. He's capable of knocking down a few, and that's all that matters, because it keeps the defense honest enough for him to excel in the rest of his game. He's honestly surpassed my expectations in terms of finishing at the rim, getting to the free throw line and scoring in the mid-range. That's his game, not everyone has to be a knock down three point shooter. Romeo is still shooting a better overall FG% than Carsen, and has less turnovers. He plays under control and takes shots within the flow of the offense, and gets others involved. Can't say the same about Carsen....I'm happy to "settle" with his poor 3pt shooting.

Reactions: echs86 and jiouhyu
Lol did you originally expect Purdue was a tournament team this year? Did you think Purdue would shoot a higher percentage from 3 than IU this year? Predictions can be wrong lol.

You better hope Romeo's shooting doesn't lead to him coming back next year haha.

Again, nice deflection. However, that was not the point of our discussion. Our discussion involved RL's 3 pt shooting percentage and why I expected it to decline from his HS numbers. You expected them to go up. Plus, you were also adament about the Top5 pick.His outside shooting and FT percentage so far does not translate to a shooting guard high pick at this point. He might well be back as the numbers are more likely to decline as the season moves forward.

I do not recall a discussion of 3 pt shooting as a team discussion nor tournament offer discussion. You are now throwing stuff agsinst the wall to see what will stick. Going from presumptive Top5 to staying in school would likely be perceived as regression by most, not too good from a "... development by my coach perspective."

Last edited:
I admit that Romeo is shooting worse from 3 than I expected. Still, he's not someone that teams can just leave open, like Nojel. He's capable of knocking down a few, and that's all that matters, because it keeps the defense honest enough for him to excel in the rest of his game. He's honestly surpassed my expectations in terms of finishing at the rim, getting to the free throw line and scoring in the mid-range. That's his game, not everyone has to be a knock down three point shooter. Romeo is still shooting a better overall FG% than Carsen, and has less turnovers. He plays under control and takes shots within the flow of the offense, and gets others involved. Can't say the same about Carsen....I'm happy to "settle" with his poor 3pt shooting.

Cheese, that's fine. However, recognize thst slashers in college do not as a rule translate into success in the NBA. Low % creates risk in a high position pick at that position. Which wss the point of discussion.

Again, nice deflection. However, that was not the point of our discussion. Our discussion involved RL's 3 pt shooting percentage and why I expected it to decline from his HS numbers. You expected them to go up. Plus, you were also adament about the Top5 pick.His outside shooting and FT percentage so far does not translate to a shooting guard high pick at this point. He might well be back as the numbers are more likely to decline as the season moves forward.

I do not recall a discussion of 3 pt shooting as a team discussion nor tournament offer discussion. You are now throwing stuff agsinst the wall to see what will stick. Going from presumptive Top5 to staying in school would likely be perceived as regression by most, not too good from a "... development by my coach perspective."
Lol Romeo isnt shooting as well as I expected. Are you happy now? Does that make you feel better? He is likely still a top 5 pick next year.

He is leading his 9-2 team in scoring and is averaging 6 rebs a game. That includes 5 top 50 wins. He's been fantastic this year.

Reactions: echs86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT