ADVERTISEMENT

How did Painter lose Phinesee?

All you have to look at is how many PGs Keady and Painter have put in the NBA......PG is the most important position on the floor and definitely the most important in tourney time.
The Keady (and until Carsen) and Painter PG philosophy, except for a few minor exceptions, has been a pass-first, defense first, PG. Not a creator, and not someone who can get points on their own.
This is a philosophy they've both had and IMHO, a big reason they've struggled to recruit highly rated PGs.

A philosophy that worked in the 70’s, but not in the last 40 years.

Phinessee is ok. Definitely not a world beater. He can't shoot a lick . He has to play for iu . He is the only player on the team that can handle the ball

I agree that CE is the best G Painter has ever had, but do you really want to rely on that kind of luck?

Luck? Edwards was a 4 star recruit ranked 88 in his class by ESPN. You talk like our players are garbage that happen to turn out ok.

Too bad we have some garbage fans.

Reactions: chaspark
I can't stand Phinisee. I don't blame Painter for this. The kid has no allegiance to his hometown school and then chooses its biggest rival - so good riddance. You want to play for little Archie? Really? Come on man! Before it is all said and done Hunter will have the better career.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Look, we have gone over this before. Nojel was going to be our starting PG, period. That was a given. For those of you that live and die by rankings, Nojel was by far better rated than Phinny. We also have a terrific PG committed for 2019 in IT. Let's not peer over the wall and decide the grass is greener. It's not.

Phinny was never going to go to Purdue. He was a Lafayette townie that did not like the college in his home town. He definitely wanted to go elsewhere. That was thoroughly discussed this summer. Why is this now another thread, except to bitch about something?

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Painter has only landed a few recruits who were ranked higher than ANY of the players I listed. SAD
I always wonder why people who track only negative aspects about a team, even keeping lists dating back 15-20 years to convince themselves just how bad it is, bother following the school. Now that is sad.

Reactions: mathboy
Luck? Edwards was a 4 star recruit ranked 88 in his class by ESPN. You talk like our players are garbage that happen to turn out ok.

Too bad we have some garbage fans.
When have I ever said CE was garbage? In fact, quite the opposite: I’ve said he’s the best Purdue guard ever.

Look, we have gone over this before. Nojel was going to be our starting PG, period. That was a given. For those of you that live and die by rankings, Nojel was by far better rated than Phinny. We also have a terrific PG committed for 2019 in IT. Let's not peer over the wall and decide the grass is greener. It's not.

Phinny was never going to go to Purdue. He was a Lafayette townie that did not like the college in his home town. He definitely wanted to go elsewhere. That was thoroughly discussed this summer. Why is this now another thread, except to bitch about something?

It may be true that he wasn't interested in Purdue, but I don't see any playing time as a "given", and neither does Coach Painter.

Can’t shoot? I just watched him drill a 3 pointer with iu down 1 and a minute to go against Lville. This was at least his second 3 of the half.
Can’t shoot?
He has a nice shot but not great. His shooting will improve, I mean he is just a freshman. I love the kid though he’s going to go down as one of the greats! I expect him to go to one or two final fours while at IU. I know that will make you all sick but it’s going to happen, sorry not sorry!:)

Phinny is going to have a much much much better collegiate career than Nojel. Sorry mom but it’s just a fact. I hope your boy makes an NBA team in a few years and maybe he’ll do well...who knows? When I read your posts it seems you’re more worried about the NBA than Purdue anyways.

When have I ever said CE was garbage? In fact, quite the opposite: I’ve said he’s the best Purdue guard ever.

You basically said we are lucked out with him. How? He was a legit recruit that Painter secured. What was lucky about it? That we have a coach who can scout talent? I agree.

Phinny is going to have a much much much better collegiate career than Nojel. Sorry mom but it’s just a fact. I hope your boy makes an NBA team in a few years and maybe he’ll do well...who knows? When I read your posts it seems you’re more worried about the NBA than Purdue anyways.
I think we have the board's biggest loser. Probably so bad he got kicked off the peegie board. In another thread you went ballistic calling a Purdue fan names on the Purdue board because he considers an IU recruit to be a project. Is the recruit related to you in any way? Does he know you from any other southern Indiana hillbilly? No. Yet you come on to the Purdue board to criticize a Purdue player, then unprovoked you give his mom a load of $hit. Back to the trailer park with you, loser.

He has more NBA potential than phinny that’s a fact.

You basically said we are lucked out with him. How? He was a legit recruit that Painter secured. What was lucky about it? That we have a coach who can scout talent? I agree.
would we have landed more than 1 of these guys? if not, I think most are glad in hindsight for a decommit, and edwards commiting before the other 2.

walker decommits (mar 29)
simpson offered (mar 31)
edwards offered (may)
lucas offered (july)
edwards commits (aug)

You have to understand Lenny's perspective. When we lose out on a recruit, it is Painter's fault. When we get a good one it is just dumb luck, and Painter has nothing to do with it. Tis a sad way to go through life, but that's his fate. ;)

Phinessee is ok. Definitely not a world beater. He can't shoot a lick . He has to play for iu . He is the only player on the team that can handle the ball

Green has handled the ball pretty well this year as well

Some kids just do not want to go to college in or near their home town. Not sure if that was Phinesee's main motivation, but it sure was a factor. Painter could not overcome that regardless.

You sir don’t worry about my son he’s more than the eye can see. Jan 19 is all I’m gonna say peace out.
Your son never touches an nba court. I think he’s a good kid and a nice player but you’re in a dream world if you think he has an nba future. Maybe he gets some 10 day contracts or something.

You have to understand Lenny's perspective. When we lose out on a recruit, it is Painter's fault. When we get a good one it is just dumb luck, and Painter has nothing to do with it. Tis a sad way to go through life, but that's his fate. ;)

My point was that Carsen turning into one of the best players in the country is lucky. It certainly wasn’t because of Painters great recruiting and ability to find the diamond in the rough.

My point was that Carsen turning into one of the best players in the country is lucky. It certainly wasn’t because of Painters great recruiting and ability to find the diamond in the rough.
Truth be known, he probably had to be talked into offering him in the first place.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Sometimes kids want to go away from home to experience college. Granted Bloomington is not far from Lafayette but its not a 10 minute drive home to mom and dads. Sometimes kids want to get far away Wilkes to UCLA for example. Pretty much any player in the top 150 or so isnt scared of competition for minutes, sometimes they eliminate programs once someone else commits Franklin/Newman for example. We can argue all day long on who is better between Franklin/Newman but that will settle itself on the court over the next 4 years. I still stand by my belief that if the kid is from the state of Indiana you can pretty much add about 30 spots to there ranking from the coaching they recieve as kids. IU and PU are always better wgen the talent is homegrown imho amd history pretty much supports that. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
He has more NBA potential than phinny that’s a fact.
Great chance that neither play a single minute of NBA basketball which is ok. They are both good college basketball players who should enjoy their 4 years at their respective schools and tackle life after. But if you watch the NBA you can tell neither has the stock to play at that level, IMO>

Reactions: cropper412
Great chance that neither play a single minute of NBA basketball which is ok. They are both good college basketball players who should enjoy their 4 years at their respective schools and tackle life after. But if you watch the NBA you can tell neither has the stock to play at that level, IMO>
Phinny has a chance if he keeps improving. I’m not saying he’d be an b-ball stud but he has a shot.

He has a nice shot but not great. His shooting will improve, I mean he is just a freshman. I love the kid though he’s going to go down as one of the greats! I expect him to go to one or two final fours while at IU. I know that will make you all sick but it’s going to happen, sorry not sorry!:)

He is likely to meet your expectations only if a FF is played in Indy and he buys a ticket.

Btw, Musa Jallow says hello.

Last edited:
He is likely to meet your expectations only if a FF is played in Indy and he buys a ticket.

Btw, Musa Jallow says hello.
FWIW, that was Crean, not Archie that offered and missed on Jallow. One of the reasons he was fired is because he lost the ability to recruit in state.

My point was only that sometimes a player wants to leave his hometown. And how do you know he wouldn't have left anyway? You don"t.

Btw, when it was mentioned that HS coaches in the state were not liking Crean that was dismissed by your fellow fans as wrong and heretical. Now it is common wisdom. Others here will vouch for that.

It is good to know that the IU Police are always on the lookout to keep things "straight." We all realize that any player in the Bloomington area could never be able to resist the charms of St. Archie and go anywhere else to school.

My point was only that sometimes a player wants to leave his hometown. And how do you know he wouldn't have left anyway? You don"t.

Btw, when it was mentioned that HS coaches in the state were not liking Crean that was dismissed by your fellow fans as wrong and heretical. Now it is common wisdom. Others here will vouch for that.

It is good to know that the IU Police are always on the lookout to keep things "straight." We all realize that any player in the Bloomington area could never be able to resist the charms of St. Archie and go anywhere else to school.
Obviously IU fans defended their coach when he was the coach.

So far Archie is 5/5 on in state recruits that he wants, and he is about to be 6/6 when Brooks commits. It's hard to argue that he and Crean had similar success recruiting in state.

You may see a 2020 Bloomington player go elsewhere as well. We have yet to offer Anthony Leal. A lot of the Big Ten has though.

Reactions: echs86
Obviously IU fans defended their coach when he was the coach.

So far Archie is 5/5 on in state recruits that he wants, and he is about to be 6/6 when Brooks commits. It's hard to argue that he and Crean had similar success recruiting in state.

You may see a 2020 Bloomington player go elsewhere as well. We have yet to offer Anthony Leal. A lot of the Big Ten has though.

I guess that is assuming that IU wanted Franklin more than Newman....................

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT