ADVERTISEMENT

How did Painter lose Phinesee?

Again, not what I wrote. The record and the increase in his % were strongly correlated.I suggest that as he was surrounded by better players resulting in a better W/L, defenses had to provide less focus upon him and thus his % went up.

Actually, the better indicator is whether someone's 3pt % goes up in the pros as he moves from college. I do not know that data set as a whole but I would be very surprised if it went up.

Well, since half the people here still believe Purdue is better then IU this year...with some even saying IU isn't very good this year. So, not sure how it's an excuse for Jordan's first few years in Chicago, but not for RL? In reality, only a fool who thinks RL isn't a sure fire lottery pick...would also think IU isn't better than Purdue this year.

Also, Oladipo shot right around 20% from 3 his sophomore season at IU and I think it's safe to say he's having a pretty decent NBA career?

During this whole argument of yours, you're acting like he has a broken shot, and that couldn't be further from the truth! He has nearly textbooks mechanic's when it comes to his shot. Of all things incoming players need to work on as a rookie.....shooting is one of the easiest things to improve on. Especially when said player already has great form.

Looked it up. Lowry was 24. Butler was 30. De Rozan was 9. None were Top5 and only one a lottery pick. Which means that you can take the risk lower in the order.
I got to admit....I'm honestly kind of impressed with your ability to so gracefully move the goalposts over and over again.

Tip of my hat to you.

Well, since half the people here still believe Purdue is better then IU this year...with some even saying IU isn't very good this year. So, not sure how it's an excuse for Jordan's first few years in Chicago, but not for RL? In reality, only a fool who thinks RL isn't a sure fire lottery pick...would also think IU isn't better than Purdue this year.

Also, Oladipo shot right around 20% from 3 his sophomore season at IU and I think it's safe to say he's having a pretty decent NBA career?

During this whole argument of yours, you're acting like he has a broken shot, and that couldn't be further from the truth! He has nearly textbooks mechanic's when it comes to his shot. Of all things incoming players need to work on as a rookie.....shooting is one of the easiest things to improve on. Especially when said player already has great form.
College to the NBA doesn't always mean shooting percentage will go up. Usually it will drop and VO is a prime example from his Junior year compared to Now. I think RL's game might reflect VO's game. He will develop a better shot because he'll shoot more likely in the NBA....if he becomes the teams prime offense. RL is very good but like VO, I consider him to be a scoring threat regardless of his shot.

This is truly an impressive way to cherry pick statistics. You are correct that he shot 21% as a sophomore from 3. You neglected to point out that he shot 31% in his first year and 44% in his third. I believe that is a bit of a difference.

As a NBA GM evaluating players, I would view their most recent season"s results as more indicative of ability than prior, but maybe that's just me. Dwes.

I got to admit....I'm honestly kind of impressed with your ability to so gracefully move the goalposts over and over again.

Tip of my hat to you.

Nobody is moving any goalposts, the discussion is about players at RL's position and his Top5 status and shooting issues. It would make equally silly sense to put into the discusion the 3 pt % of centers and PFs. There are scoring guards and PGs. The skills, expectations and requirements of the positions are different and thus you compare only within a set. As they tell you in math class, you can't compare apples and oranges.

I think the jury is still out on who is better. Three of Purdue’s losses are to teams better than anyone IU has played outside of Duke and two of them should’ve been wins and an inexperienced Purdue team dropped them in the final minutes on the road. IU will get a chance in the next 30’days or so to prove they are better than Purdue. Having said that, neither team has shown anything to brag about. Is a joke win against Marquette more impressive than a one point loss at Florida State? Kenpom doesn’t think so.

Reactions: Schnelk
The Big East is down this year. Marquette would be lower tier in the B1G. Do not raise St. John's, their schedule is a joke. They are, however, conquerors of the Northeast Conference.

I write this as a Big East fan.

The Big East is down this year. Marquette would be lower tier in the B1G. Do not raise St. John's, their schedule is a joke. They are, however, conquerors of the Northeast Conference.

I write this as a Big East fan.

I won't argue about the Big East being down,though not sure how that impacts a Marquette team that hasn't played a Big East game yet? Have you looked at the teams Marquette has beaten- they only have 2 losses,and are 1-1 vs both the B1G and the Big 12. Not to mention 1-0 vs the ACC...

As to the bolded,it looks like you've studied at the Mgkcbb school of faulty basketball analysis and hyperbole. With a healthy does of irrational bias...

So if Marquette is a "lower tier" Big school,does that put them on PU's level? Is PSU lower tier- they handled the same Va Tech team that PU lost to? Marquette's 2 losses are IU and a 9 pt loss to KU,after leading at halftime. They've also beaten Kansas St, Louisville,Buffalo and Wisconsin.

Assuming Marquette is "lower tier" with PU,what teams of that caliber has PU beaten? Your "best" win (and only quality win) is vs Maryland. But Maryland lost at home to a Seton Hall (Big East) team that lost to Nebraska by 20+ and to the UL team that both IU and Marquette team beat as well. You're dissing a Marquette team that has played a very comparable schedule to PU (in terms of quality opposition) and has far many more impressive quality wins than PU has...

Yada yada yada no transitive property in basketball... But at some point the reality of 5 OOC losses and "best wins" being Maryland and Ball State has to inject some reality when you're trying to demean a team like Marquette and their wins as "lower tier...

Reactions: jace465555
I won't argue about the Big East being down,though not sure how that impacts a Marquette team that hasn't played a Big East game yet? Have you looked at the teams Marquette has beaten- they only have 2 losses,and are 1-1 vs both the B1G and the Big 12. Not to mention 1-0 vs the ACC...

As to the bolded,it looks like you've studied at the Mgkcbb school of faulty basketball analysis and hyperbole. With a healthy does of irrational bias...

So if Marquette is a "lower tier" Big school,does that put them on PU's level? Is PSU lower tier- they handled the same Va Tech team that PU lost to? Marquette's 2 losses are IU and a 9 pt loss to KU,after leading at halftime. They've also beaten Kansas St, Louisville,Buffalo and Wisconsin.

Assuming Marquette is "lower tier" with PU,what teams of that caliber has PU beaten? Your "best" win (and only quality win) is vs Maryland. But Maryland lost at home to a Seton Hall (Big East) team that lost to Nebraska by 20+ and to the UL team that both IU and Marquette team beat as well. You're dissing a Marquette team that has played a very comparable schedule to PU (in terms of quality opposition) and has far many more impressive quality wins than PU has...

Yada yada yada no transitive property in basketball... But at some point the reality of 5 OOC losses and "best wins" being Maryland and Ball State has to inject some reality when you're trying to demean a team like Marquette and their wins as "lower tier...
I see you didn’t quote me, but I will answer this. Penn State for a great win, but it was a home game so, that makes a difference. Do you not understand that? Marquette’s best win was a home game against an instate rival. They are good, but not the great team IU fans make it out to be. You got a good win, congrats. Feel better? I get it. IU has been horrendous for two years in a row and the fact that you haven’t lost to Indiana State this year has you giddy. But, you really haven’t done anything near the level of going to your rivals board to gloat. Let’s see if you return to gloat anymore once January has passed.

I see you didn’t quote me, but I will answer this. Penn State for a great win, but it was a home game so, that makes a difference. Do you not understand that? Marquette’s best win was a home game against an instate rival. They are good, but not the great team IU fans make it out to be. You got a good win, congrats. Feel better? I get it. IU has been horrendous for two years in a row and the fact that you haven’t lost to Indiana State this year has you giddy. But, you really haven’t done anything near the level of going to your rivals board to gloat. Let’s see if you return to gloat anymore once January has passed.
Did you forget IPFW or PFW?

This is truly an impressive way to cherry pick statistics. You are correct that he shot 21% as a sophomore from 3. You neglected to point out that he shot 31% in his first year and 44% in his third. I believe that is a bit of a difference.

As a NBA GM evaluating players, I would view their most recent season"s results as more indicative of ability than prior, but maybe that's just me. Dwes.
Lol...so, pointing out that Oladipo struggled his sophomore season, but then improved his shot to what it is today, is cherry picking? But, closing the book on RL after only 13 games isn't asinine?

This is the thing...and I honestly don't understand why you're even arguing this...I believe you're probably a smart guy who can look at a players shot and quickly be able to tell if its broke, or not...correct? If that's the case, its obvious that he doesn't have a broken shot. In reality, he actually has phenomenal mechanics and going off of what we all know about shooting form...shouldn't have any issue getting his numbers to a respectable level.

I'm not guaranteeing it will happen this year, or even next tear, but I fully expect that within a couple of years his shooting struggles will be nothing more than a distant memory.

I think the jury is still out on who is better. Three of Purdue’s losses are to teams better than anyone IU has played outside of Duke and two of them should’ve been wins and an inexperienced Purdue team dropped them in the final minutes on the road. IU will get a chance in the next 30’days or so to prove they are better than Purdue. Having said that, neither team has shown anything to brag about. Is a joke win against Marquette more impressive than a one point loss at Florida State? Kenpom doesn’t think so.
Honestly, it's fun how you talk down about Marquette, all the while also ignoring Louisville (Who beat Mich St.) and also Butler.

With the information we have today, its obvious who the better team has been this year! That's not to say that the 2nd half wont have Purdue as the better team. I don't think that will happen, but when you have the best player in the conference, it would never shock me. Only the most blinded of Homer's could say any different.

Lol...so, pointing out that Oladipo struggled his sophomore season, but then improved his shot to what it is today, is cherry picking? But, closing the book on RL after only 13 games isn't asinine?

This is the thing...and I honestly don't understand why you're even arguing this...I believe you're probably a smart guy who can look at a players shot and quickly be able to tell if its broke, or not...correct? If that's the case, its obvious that he doesn't have a broken shot. In reality, he actually has phenomenal mechanics and going off of what we all know about shooting form...shouldn't have any issue getting his numbers to a respectable level.

I'm not guaranteeing it will happen this year, or even next tear, but I fully expect that within a couple of years his shooting struggles will be nothing more than a distant memory.

What his shot looks like is irrelevant if he hits in the upper 30s or low 40s from 3. What matters is whether it goes in the basket.

As for Oladipo's stats, he shot 50% better than RL as a freshman, equalled his % as a soph and more than doubled it as junior. To even begin to equate them is silly. You may fully expect whatever you like but until it happens your expectations are meaningless. Reality is what counts and reality is 21%.

If RL is truly OAD then he is about 37% or more through his collegiate career. It would seem reasonable that scouts would consider that sufficient enough of a data set to begin to form a set of projections. How long do you expect them to wait?

As for Purdue's five losses, 3 are to top 10 teams, and none at home. MD is the best win, but most of yhe losses were clise games. I strongly believe RL's numbers will go down as we moveinto the B1G schedule as the competitoon will be much stronger. Time will tell.

Honestly, it's fun how you talk down about Marquette, all the while also ignoring Louisville (Who beat Mich St.) and also Butler.

With the information we have today, its obvious who the better team has been this year! That's not to say that the 2nd half wont have Purdue as the better team. I don't think that will happen, but when you have the best player in the conference, it would never shock me. Only the most blinded of Homer's could say any different.
Remember when IU beat Kansas early on and then missed the tourney? Good times.

It certainly wasnt fun, however it was necessary to get our program back on an upward trend. Looks like you guys will see a similar season next year assuming you lose Carsen.
I don’t know? The same was said after AJ left and then Biggie, yet, we actually got better each time after losing a dominant player. This team has been through the toughest OOC schedule in recent memory and although they lost several games, they were on each one until the end outside of Michigan. It can be argued that they should have won Florida State and Virginia Tech. So, I think the fire they have ran though could be beneficial to an inexperienced team. We shall see if they learns from those losses. Losing CE will hurt of course, yet, I think it could also be argued that having such a dominant player changes the dynamic from a team, into divisions of players, seeking to fill their roles. Next years team may be pretty good and play more as a team, while using the lessons learned this season to once again make the tourney. Who knows at this point, but I am still focused on this year.
How do you feel about IU next year? They rely heavily on Morgan and Romeo. Those guys will be gone next year and although you have some good recruits coming in, are they Romeo level good and can Davis fill Morgan’s shoes? If we are guessing based on what we have and what we will get, I don’t see either team being at the level we would prefer. Plugging Newman and Thompson into this team may make them better, if the above is true about the team dynamic.
Either way, I have seen folks say we will be worse for 3 straight seasons now and each year we had a better team. So, I’ll enjoy watching and see what happens. Other teams will lose players too and that always has a larger effect than people foreshadow.

I don’t know? The same was said after AJ left and then Biggie, yet, we actually got better each time after losing a dominant player. This team has been through the toughest OOC schedule in recent memory and although they lost several games, they were on each one until the end outside of Michigan. It can be argued that they should have won Florida State and Virginia Tech. So, I think the fire they have ran though could be beneficial to an inexperienced team. We shall see if they learns from those losses. Losing CE will hurt of course, yet, I think it could also be argued that having such a dominant player changes the dynamic from a team, into divisions of players, seeking to fill their roles. Next years team may be pretty good and play more as a team, while using the lessons learned this season to once again make the tourney. Who knows at this point, but I am still focused on this year.
How do you feel about IU next year? They rely heavily on Morgan and Romeo. Those guys will be gone next year and although you have some good recruits coming in, are they Romeo level good and can Davis fill Morgan’s shoes? If we are guessing based on what we have and what we will get, I don’t see either team being at the level we would prefer. Plugging Newman and Thompson into this team may make them better, if the above is true about the team dynamic.
Either way, I have seen folks say we will be worse for 3 straight seasons now and each year we had a better team. So, I’ll enjoy watching and see what happens. Other teams will lose players too and that always has a larger effect than people foreshadow.
When you lost AJ you had an AA in Biggie coming back. When you lost Biggie you had an AA in Carsen coming back. Both losses had a solid 2014 class coming back. I hate to tell you, but next years Purdue team doesnt project to have an All-conference player let alone an All-American.

As for how IU projects, losing Morgan and Romeo will hurt a ton. TJD will not make up Morgan's production as a freshman. Brooks will not make up for Romeo's loss by himself. However, along with TJD and Brooks we also have Hunter (top 50 player) coming off redshirt, and Race Thompson (top 100) coming off his 2nd redshirt.

Given the players that are projected to leave and come in for each team, it's pretty obvious IU projects to be a better team on paper. Bringing back Smith, Phinisee, Durham, Green, and Davis is also huge.

Without knowing what next year's conference schedules look like, I would expect IU to finish 4-6 and Purdue to finish 9-11.

When you lost AJ you had an AA in Biggie coming back. When you lost Biggie you had an AA in Carsen coming back. Both losses had a solid 2014 class coming back. I hate to tell you, but next years Purdue team doesnt project to have an All-conference player let alone an All-American.

As for how IU projects, losing Morgan and Romeo will hurt a ton. TJD will not make up Morgan's production as a freshman. Brooks will not make up for Romeo's loss by himself. However, along with TJD and Brooks we also have Hunter (top 50 player) coming off redshirt, and Race Thompson (top 100) coming off his 2nd redshirt.

Given the players that are projected to leave and come in for each team, it's pretty obvious IU projects to be a better team on paper. Bringing back Smith, Phinisee, Durham, Green, and Davis is also huge.

Without knowing what next year's conference schedules look like, I would expect IU to finish 4-6 and Purdue to finish 9-11.
Purdue has won without AA’s before. It’s a team sport and we have some good players, so I am not worried. I do appreciate you informing me about our lack of AA’s, but I am pretty sure IU won’t have any either, so I am not sure what the point was. When Carsen signed and even after his Frosh year, I recall him being forecast as the AA he is today.
I would understand your jabs at this and next years team if you had a stellar team yourself. You don’t, so the smack falls way short of gaining any traction. IU has a pretty tough schedule next month, much like Purdue had in December. We shall see how well they handle tough road games. Hopefully for yourself, they play better than they did at Duke.

Purdue has won without AA’s before. It’s a team sport and we have some good players, so I am not worried. I do appreciate you informing me about our lack of AA’s, but I am pretty sure IU won’t have any either, so I am not sure what the point was. When Carsen signed and even after his Frosh year, I recall him being forecast as the AA he is today.
I would understand your jabs at this and next years team if you had a stellar team yourself. You don’t, so the smack falls way short of gaining any traction. IU has a pretty tough schedule next month, much like Purdue had in December. We shall see how well they handle tough road games. Hopefully for yourself, they play better than they did at Duke.
11-2 with several top 50 wins is a lot better than 7-5 with 1 top 50 win. The ND team you lost to just struggled to beat Coppin St. At home who is 0-15.

Our schedule is tough coming up (@ Michigan, @Maryland, @ Purude, and Michigan at home), but as long as we go 2-2 in those games we will be sitting pretty in the conference.

There isnt a team in the conference that wouldn't get blown out by Duke at Cameron this year. I doubt the rest of the conference gets blown out at Michigan though....

Purdue's schedule doesnt get any easier with Iowa, @ MSU, @Wiscy, IU, @ OSU, vs MSU, and ending the month at the tomb.

11-2 with several top 50 wins is a lot better than 7-5 with 1 top 50 win. The ND team you lost to just struggled to beat Coppin St. At home who is 0-15.

Our schedule is tough coming up (@ Michigan, @Maryland, @ Purude, and Michigan at home), but as long as we go 2-2 in those games we will be sitting pretty in the conference.

There isnt a team in the conference that wouldn't get blown out by Duke at Cameron this year. I doubt the rest of the conference gets blown out at Michigan though....

Purdue's schedule doesnt get any easier with Iowa, @ MSU, @Wiscy, IU, @ OSU, vs MSU, and ending the month at the tomb.
The irony that you are downplaying Purdue while also comparing IU to Purdue is obviously lost on you. Way to blueblood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT