ADVERTISEMENT

How confident is Painter that Pack will come to Purdue?

Brian reporting Purdue will not be getting pack. OSU offering 250k, Miami offering 450k. Going to be damn near impossible for us to get any high-level recruits moving forward since it seems we refuse to play the game that is now necessary to compete.

• Sad
Reactions: Indy_Rider
Brian reporting Purdue will not be getting pack. OSU offering 250k, Miami offering 450k. Going to be damn near impossible for us to get any high-level recruits moving forward since it seems we refuse to play the game that is now necessary to compete.
If that's the game, college sports is dead. Every year players are going to hit the portal, open to the highest bidder. There is no illusion about education being of any importance, just the money while they can get it.

After this offseason, I think I am done. This is not what college athletics should be about.

If that's the game, college sports is dead. Every year players are going to hit the portal, open to the highest bidder. There is no illusion about education being of any importance, just the money while they can get it.

After this offseason, I think I am done. This is not what college athletics should be about.
much as I hate to admit it, I agree. None of this feels right any more. Legalized bribery to boost a program. RMK and Keady's heads have to be exploding over what the sport has become. Rent-a-player. Literally.

Bad enough that much of college ball has turned into shitty shooters constantly jacking up 3s because the metrics say a 30% 3 point shooter is just as effective as a 45% shooter from close range. The combo of the Tx portal and instant NIL offers has turned the portal into the college free agent market.

All I can do is look back in fondness to the days when players like Calbert Cheaney and Troy Lewis spent 4 years carving out awesome careers and legacies at one school. Those days appear gone for good. The inmates are now running the asylum.

much as I hate to admit it, I agree. None of this feels right any more. Legalized bribery to boost a program. RMK and Keady's heads have to be exploding over what the sport has become. Rent-a-player. Literally.

Bad enough that much of college ball has turned into shitty shooters constantly jacking up 3s because the metrics say a 30% 3 point shooter is just as effective as a 45% shooter from close range. The combo of the Tx portal and instant NIL offers has turned the portal into the college free agent market.

All I can do is look back in fondness to the days when players like Calbert Cheaney and Troy Lewis spent 4 years carving out awesome careers and legacies at one school. Those days appear gone for good. The inmates are now running the asylum.
Good postHoosier fan.College athletics is going down the drain rapidly.Come back here any time.Integrity is gone.

interesting to see what Plan B will be if this really falls through. Dylan Penn waiting patiently, maybe? Can’t see Llewellyn but stranger things have happened.

Definitely feels like a bunch of mercenaries running around looking for the best deals. One way to stop it would be to stop watching it.

If Purdue doesn't get a good transfer or 2 at guard, it's gonna be a long season...
At the least I would think Hunter might return, maybe. Anyway, they’ll get a guard, no way they start the year with a 5-10 Frosh PG who’s been battling foot injuries.

Reactions: TX4GB
At the least I would think Hunter might return, maybe. Anyway, they’ll get a guard, no way they start the year with a 5-10 Frosh PG who’s been battling foot injuries.
Maybe get someone like PSU did (out of nowhere) like Jalen Pickett. We have the frontline. Morton, Gillis, Newman, and Edey are now the elders on the team. They will be good leaders I believe. It’s their team now.

Seems like Pack would have better long term $ opportunities with a Purdue network post graduation especially being from Indiana. Weber coaching tree in play.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Poprudy
I think he has family in Ohio. Wouldn’t be a shocker. I would prefer he go to Miami over OSU. I was wondering why AJ Casey went there. Now I know.
Casey is extremely overrated. Example of someone who was rated high at a young age and has hung around the rankings. He averaged about 10 points and 4 rebounds this season. Probably the 4th best player on Whitney Young. He was invisible in the state championship game. 2 points.

He had no big offers left in Big Ten.

• Wow
Reactions: DAG10 and TX4GB
Casey is extremely overrated. Example of someone who was rated high at a young age and has hung around the rankings. He averaged about 10 points and 4 rebounds this season. Probably the 4th best player on Whitney Young. He was invisible in the state championship game. 2 points.

He had no big offers left in Big Ten.
Wow, thanks, I lost track after his visit to Purdue his freshman year.

Seems like Pack would have better long term $ opportunities with a Purdue network post graduation especially being from Indiana. Weber coaching tree in play.
SO few guys even consider that though...nobody cares long-term/big picture, especially with the money in play as it is right now...like say, you can literally just buy players now. Will Wade has to be incredibly upset to know that if he could actually coach and managed to have done that for a few years at L$U, his "strong-a$$" offers would now be legitimate and he could indeed have things rolling there in Baton Rouge.

Pack left K-State because he knew he could play somewhere better, and, he did not even have a clue what was available to him financially....and, he certainly did not learn about it on his visit to West Lafayette unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: SKYDOG
I think he has family in Ohio. Wouldn’t be a shocker. I would prefer he go to Miami over OSU. I was wondering why AJ Casey went there. Now I know.
If not Purdue, then absolutely I would rather see him outside of the B1G.

Again...O$U...a program not known by any means for integrity, and, as close to a SEC school as there is that is not part of it...no surprise that they already have plans and programs in place to offer plenty of money to athletes there.

Reactions: Schnelk and TX4GB
Not going to be good for Purdue, move on to the next one.
If so, Purdue is in trouble...one, because of the failure to get Pack, and, two, because "the next one" is not only not as good, but, there may not even be a legitimate "next one".

Worst-case, Hunter returning was at least something positive with respect to the backcourt situation...assuming he indeed is not returning, Thompson having left and no Pack commitment, Purdue would be in trouble for sure.

It goes back to a HUGE problem that Purdue has had with respect to class imbalance when it comes to recruiting.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
They need more than "a guard"...they need someone impactful, and, that is not going to happen.

Purdue botched this in about every way conceivable, and, will have to pay the price as such unfortunately.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
The focus now needs to shift to DGL and Colvin. The 2022-23 season is lost.
That is the thing though...Purdue can't afford lost seasons, and, is at a point where as a program it should not have to.

Like say, this was botched about as bad as it could be...be it just a poor job of being in the position that they were, and, now that they are.

I've said it once I'll say it again, this is the day college basketball died

It no longer matters how good you recruit, it matters how much you will pay. And small schools that sometimes got a good player to go their way, will likely be the way of the past.

It likey is going to be hard to even watch when the best teams that money can buy are always the ones winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT