ADVERTISEMENT

How confident is Painter that Pack will come to Purdue?

Don't you think players not flunking out is more of a function of the program and not the academic rigors of a school? How often do players flunk out of Duke, UNC, Stanford, or Michigan? These guys are set up academically to stay eligible and play basketball (yes, at Purdue as well).
This is true to a point anyway. I would imagine the classes offered to keep players academically eligible are going to be vastly different between schools.

What does this mean IMO we are as good as it gets how many of your elite programs are offering the spot last played by a lottery pick? I have no clue what Davis is looking for but Purdue offers the prospect of a huge paycheck. Purdue is not your fathers good old solid team built on defense only. The kind of talent Purdue is seeking in the portal is elite. They are not looking to fit in they are looking to get paid! The fact that you have to double team Zach= open shots which = $. IMO it's that simple the NIL taints my position somewhat but a $ 100.000 doesn't compare to lottery money. If a $ 100,000 grand is what your after then this position isn't for you. I like our chances with Pack and Davis. Although IMO Hunter should be the # 1 option because I love defense and see no reason to risk it when we have a sure thing. Neither of them lead their teams any where and Eric took his team to a #1 ranking and a sweet sixteen! Yes I prefer we miss on both if that means Eric comes back.
There is no world in which Hunter would be the #1 option over Pack or Davis. He isn't even in the same conversation as those 2. That doesn't mean he's not a good guy and teammate. Pack was all Big 12 in a loaded conference at guard. If we are going to have any chance to win the conference and do anything in the tournament, that is the kind of production we need from the guard position.

What does this mean IMO we are as good as it gets how many of your elite programs are offering the spot last played by a lottery pick? I have no clue what Davis is looking for but Purdue offers the prospect of a huge paycheck. Purdue is not your fathers good old solid team built on defense only. The kind of talent Purdue is seeking in the portal is elite. They are not looking to fit in they are looking to get paid! The fact that you have to double team Zach= open shots which = $. IMO it's that simple the NIL taints my position somewhat but a $ 100.000 doesn't compare to lottery money. If a $ 100,000 grand is what your after then this position isn't for you. I like our chances with Pack and Davis. Although IMO Hunter should be the # 1 option because I love defense and see no reason to risk it when we have a sure thing. Neither of them lead their teams any where and Eric took his team to a #1 ranking and a sweet sixteen! Yes I prefer we miss on both if that means Eric comes back.
Who wouldn't love to have Hunter back. But he is in no way, shape, or form what this team will need to win if we don't get a transfer like Pack. Who do we have back that is truly a scoring guard? Hunter's great defensively, but he's not a scoring guard. Newman, if he's consistent will take Sasha's production from the 3 point line. Morton is great, but he can't break down the defense. So who's left? I don't see Braden Smith filling that role as a freshman. Neither will Loyer.

Don't you think players not flunking out is more of a function of the program and not the academic rigors of a school? How often do players flunk out of Duke, UNC, Stanford, or Michigan? These guys are set up academically to stay eligible and play basketball (yes, at Purdue as well).
Todd Foster makes sure they are eligible. He has resources at his disposal to assure that LEGALLY!!!! He is an unsung hero of the Boiler's success.

What I meant for us, is that we have "easier" courses they can take. Not things like underwater basket weaving like other schools though. Sorry, my context was not there.
Well, these "easier" courses are open to every student as well as they MUST be a part of a path to a major. There are football players who have complained that their HS teammates at other schools get their papers done for them, are not checked to see if they are in the classroom, and have classes that only athletes are in ... none of those things happen at PU ... and, to my knowledge, don't happen at other B1G schools.

TO be honest, as Organizational Leadership is a popular major for football players, I find what it teaches about communication, personality types, psychology, and leadership are valuable life skills.

Well, these "easier" courses are open to every student as well as they MUST be a part of a path to a major. There are football players who have complained that their HS teammates at other schools get their papers done for them, are not checked to see if they are in the classroom, and have classes that only athletes are in ... none of those things happen at PU ... and, to my knowledge, don't happen at other B1G schools.

TO be honest, as Organizational Leadership is a popular major for football players, I find what it teaches about communication, personality types, psychology, and leadership are valuable life skills.
Purdue is not special academically and Purdue athletes are not unique academically.
Duke, Michigan, UNC, Stanford, etc, are all tough, academically rigorous schools. And just like Purdue, they have a vested financial interest that their athletes stay eligible, win games and fill the stands.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Believe that if you want. But Purdue has a general studies program that plenty of athletes participate in.
Not true. Purdue does not have a general studies major and all NCAA athletes must take classes after their 4th semester that pursue a degree. You might be careful what you challenge me about regarding Purdue athletes academic requirements!!!!

Purdue is not special academically and Purdue athletes are not unique academically.
Duke, Michigan, UNC, Stanford, etc, are all tough, academically rigorous schools. And just like Purdue, they have a vested financial interest that their athletes stay eligible, win games and fill the stands.
I am not comparing Purdue to some of those schools you mention. Please note that there are only two or three B1G schools who do not offer a general studies degree. As you clearly don't realize, Purdue does not offer a general studies degree; therefore, all athletes must take classes after their 4th semester that take them toward a degree in some specific area.

My point is that Painter only pursues a certain type of athlete out of high school and also as a transfer. he recruits all around the world, yet there are certain athletes he will not lift a finger to try to bring to Purdue. and for some athletes, it's not a matter that they don't like purdue, its' a matter that painter doesn't want them at purdue. yes, painter has recruited many athletes and lost out. But there are also many athletes he didn't even try to recruit. this lends me to believe painter is looking for more than just an athlete's basketball skills. he also values his ethics, personality, and academic standing. rather than selling his soul and trying to win at all costs NOW, painter builds a team, and if they win , that's also great too. I believe painter wants to win a national championship, but he places ethics and values above winning. i'm not so sure that is the same with many other coaches.

Reactions: Russ Ford
My point is that Painter only pursues a certain type of athlete out of high school and also as a transfer. he recruits all around the world, yet there are certain athletes he will not lift a finger to try to bring to Purdue.
You have proof of that right? Or are you just spouting your usual troll nonsense.

But that still requires 4 semesters of foreign language, math, Comm ... a lot of classes that a General Studies degree would not require. Plus, the Leadership classes and the Psych classes are especially good for anyone who is going into life without a specific skillset.

Well yeah we are, that is why were among the top 10 Engineering school in the country.

Question since I don't know you, did you attend Purdue? Not trying to be disparaging, just getting a grasp on the context we are dealing with here.
Yes, I graduated from Purdue and no, Purdue is not special academically when it comes to 'student' athletes. We're not talking about the general student population. I bet less than 5% of athletes (especially in revenue generating sports) are in engineering.
Here's the 2022 US News rankings:

But that still requires 4 semesters of foreign language, math, Comm ... a lot of classes that a General Studies degree would not require. Plus, the Leadership classes and the Psych classes are especially good for anyone who is going into life without a specific skillset.
I know, I was mostly joking. I had OLS as one of my minors and it was the most vanilla fluff content possible as I recall.

I know, I was mostly joking. I had OLS as one of my minors and it was the most vanilla fluff content possible as I recall.
I'm not sure if it is better now or not. But, critical thinking, different personality types, de-escalation of conflict, motivating workers, and communicating well are all emphasized. And again, I mention the required semesters of math, comm, English and foreign language. When compared to a real general studies program that does not require any of that ... huge difference in study and effort involved. Plus, it does provide those students with skills that can be helpful in nearly every aspect of the workforce. These men and women are often VERY ill-prepared for general society when they get here. High school for athletes in some parts of the country bears no resemblance to high school in our area (although I don't know where you moved on to from Harry's).

Not true. Purdue does not have a general studies major and all NCAA athletes must take classes after their 4th semester that pursue a degree. You might be careful what you challenge me about regarding Purdue athletes academic requirements!!!!
The question was whether Purdue was unique academically for athletes (with the perception that this hinders Purdue in recruiting in some way). It's not and it doesn't.
There are plenty of General 'show up' majors athletes can take

The question was whether Purdue was unique academically for athletes (with the perception that this hinders Purdue in recruiting in some way). It's not and it doesn't.
There are plenty of General 'show up' majors athletes can take
I wish you would do more research. Undecided Lib Arts MUST be decided into a degree program (to meet NCAA requirements) after the first four semesters. It is NOT a degree program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assure you that many athletes here discuss how easy it would be if they had just gone to many different other schools. Most in the South

I am not comparing Purdue to some of those schools you mention. Please note that there are only two or three B1G schools who do not offer a general studies degree. As you clearly don't realize, Purdue does not offer a general studies degree; therefore, all athletes must take classes after their 4th semester that take them toward a degree in some specific area.
Yes, but every major is not like taking Chemical Engineering. There are plenty of majors for athletes whose focus is on staying eligible, not necessarily expanding academically.
In my fraternity, lots of guys came to Purdue to study engineering, but after a semester or two, a lot of them saw "The Vision".

My point is that Painter only pursues a certain type of athlete out of high school and also as a transfer. he recruits all around the world, yet there are certain athletes he will not lift a finger to try to bring to Purdue. and for some athletes, it's not a matter that they don't like purdue, its' a matter that painter doesn't want them at purdue. yes, painter has recruited many athletes and lost out. But there are also many athletes he didn't even try to recruit. this lends me to believe painter is looking for more than just an athlete's basketball skills. he also values his ethics, personality, and academic standing. rather than selling his soul and trying to win at all costs NOW, painter builds a team, and if they win , that's also great too. I believe painter wants to win a national championship, but he places ethics and values above winning. i'm not so sure that is the same with many other coaches.
I disagree. Painters job is to win games. Period. That's why he's paid what he is. Sure, he might not recruit some players because they seem like a headache, but he's not only going after the boy scouts.

I actually would like to see Painter go after some more kids with Chicago/Detroit playground toughness, kids who play with chip on their shoulder and compete athletically.

Yes, but every major is not like taking Chemical Engineering. There are plenty of majors for athletes whose focus is on staying eligible, not necessarily expanding academically.
In my fraternity, lots of guys came to Purdue to study engineering, but after a semester or two, a lot of them saw "The Vision".
Now you're agreeing with me. There are many non-engineering programs - but none are general studies as they are in many other school.s

I wish you would do more research. Undecided Lib Arts MUST be decided into a degree program (to meet NCAA requirements) after the first four semesters. It is NOT a degree program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assure you that many athletes here discuss how easy it would be if they had just gone to many different other schools. Most in the South
Do you think it's coincidence that a large % of football players major in the same thing?

SO now you're accepting that Purdue does not have a General Studies degree and ALSO accepting the Undecided Liberal Arts is not a degree program????
So a football player can take general studies courses for 2 years, then declare a major like supervision or criminology? I'm still trying to figure out how this makes Purdue unique compared to places like Michigan, Duke, UNC, Stanford, etc. and if this is a challenge in recruiting.

So a football player can take general studies courses for 2 years, then declare a major like supervision or criminology? I'm still trying to figure out how this makes Purdue unique compared to places like Michigan, Duke, UNC, Stanford, etc. and if this is a challenge in recruiting.
You are the most obtuse debater I have ever conversed with. HERE is what I said a few hours ago as a reply to your listing og Michigan, Duke, UNC, Stanford, etc. :

Actually, that is not true. If he hasn't taken the early Math, English, Foreign Language, and Comm classes in his first four semesters, he cannot fit into the NCAA guidelines for pursuing a degree ... because he will be FAR behind in requirements for that degree and will not be eligible to compete.

NO!!!! At a general studies school, a player could take basket weaving, Golf, tennis, swimming, weight lifting, et al in their first two years ... at Purdue he would have to take two semesters of foreign language, a 100 level math class, a 100 level comm class, a 100 level English class .... is this clear enough for gawd's sake

You are the most obtuse debater I have ever conversed with. HERE is what I said a few hours ago as a reply to your listing og Michigan, Duke, UNC, Stanford, etc. :

What did you just call him?

HO8Z.gif

Reactions: Boilers424
How you can even put UNC on that list is insane. They had 30+ years where players didn't have to go to class and had grades basically made up for their participation. Still a travesty that blatant cheaters like UNC and Kansas were able to compete for the NC. Michigan had the "fab five" that were paid to play including their current coach.

Actually, that is not true. If he hasn't taken the early Math, English, Foreign Language, and Comm classes in his first four semesters, he cannot fit into the NCAA guidelines for pursuing a degree ... because he will be FAR behind in requirements for that degree and will not be eligible to compete.
Are these NCAA guidelines or Purdue guidelines for pursuing a degree?
If it's NCAA, does that mean every athlete at every school has to fulfill those requirements?

Believe that if you want. But Purdue has a general studies program that plenty of athletes participate in.
Damnit Bonefish. Every year you bring this up and get corrected. It never sticks. Are you really this freaking dense that you can't remember this or are you just trolling? Seriously, if you are doing either, you need to reassess your situation or your mental health.

Damnit Bonefish. Every year you bring this up and get corrected. It never sticks. Are you really this freaking dense that you can't remeber this or are you just trolling? Seriously, if you are doing eith, you need to reassess your situation or your mental health.
Cool it with the insults, or I will have to report you to a moderator.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT