ADVERTISEMENT

How confident is Painter that Pack will come to Purdue?

That is not why more than 1,000 guys are in the transfer portal...
It's the world we live in. Instant gratification is what everyone wants. Every market has a niche and the better you market that you will be successful.

To me it's just sad that athlete's won't be going to a school for a career or even the school they may have loved growing up. It's the grown adults telling them what or why they need to make that decision. Watch 30/30 broke close to 78% of all pro athlete's go broke after their professional career and they had structured financial help, but still made multiple bad financial decisions.

That's where the sustainability kicks in for me. This isn't a 3 year boom and then have nothing to show. Unless, your home was financially structurally sound. Then it most likely would be a good decision.

Last edited:
It's the world we live in. Instant gratification is what everyone wants. Every market has a niche and the better you market that you will be successful.

To me it's just sad that athlete's won't be going to a school for a career or even the school they may have loved growing up. It's the grown adults telling them what or why they need to make that decision. Watch 30/30 broke close to 78% of all pro athlete's go broke after their professional career and they had structured financial help, but still made multiple bad financial decisions.

That's where the sustainability kicks in for me. This isn't a 3 year boom and then have nothing to show. Unless, your home was financially structurally sound. Then it most likely would be a good decision.
Many, many guys have not valued the educational aspect, and, many, many more believe they will be playing professionally and underestimate its value.

Look at Nojel...

Purdue is going to have problems, because, where it won't change what it offers...it was enough in the past to appeal to a lot of kids still...moving forward though, definitely less likely, and, depending on just how bad the NIL Collective they put in place is, it could be far less likely even.

Many, many guys have not valued the educational aspect, and, many, many more believe they will be playing professionally and underestimate its value.

Look at Nojel...

Purdue is going to have problems, because, where it won't change what it offers...it was enough in the past to appeal to a lot of kids still...moving forward though, definitely less likely, and, depending on just how bad the NIL Collective they put in place is, it could be far less likely even.
I do agree Purdue needed to adjust/adapt to the NIL and should've prepared for this. Unfortunately, it looks as we didn't and now we'll have that adjustment period to regain momentum. Probably not a good look for MB or Purdue.

I do agree Purdue needed to adjust/adapt to the NIL and should've prepared for this. Unfortunately, it looks as we didn't and now we'll have that adjustment period to regain momentum. Probably not a good look for MB or Purdue.
Yea I don’t I understood what took so long. Agree with NIL or not, they shouldn’t be this far behind other schools.

We are probably a year or 2 behind IU when they hired Woodson. I didn’t see any results from Archie if they started earlier lol. Kansas and Kentucky have been doing it for decade(s). Good thing about basketball, there are only so many spots available.

I've said it once I'll say it again, this is the day college basketball died

It no longer matters how good you recruit, it matters how much you will pay. And small schools that sometimes got a good player to go their way, will likely be the way of the past.

It likey is going to be hard to even watch when the best teams that money can buy are always the ones winning.
Let me give you this hypothetical, in all seriousness. Curious if you’ll be able to punch holes in it:

Say that one of the truly gifted engineering students at Purdue proves themselves incredibly gifted based on what they’ve done during Purdue activities. This student’s work has brought major grants to Purdue. So much so that the student is offered big money by private engineering firms for off campus work. In fact, those engineering firms are offering big money just for the student to show up, because they want to support that student and want them to stay at Purdue instead of bolting early to another firm or away from Purdue.

Now say there’s a Georgia Tech hyper-talented engineering student that’s considering transferring to Purdue. Central Indiana engineering firms give the student off-campus appearance fees and paid work assignments, and he transfers to Purdue, the firms’ favorite school. Those firms think they have a better chance at hiring him when he completes his work.

1) Isn’t that how free market capitalism is supposed to work?
2) How is that different from NIL?
3) Would you bar the engineering student from being compensated in these scenarios?
4) Is at least some of the resistance to NIL merely resistance to warranted change?

I hate the easy portal movement, but I’m wondering if NIL (a separate new thing) is simply the free market at work, which isn’t always equitable to all.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffBoiler
NIL is here to stay. We’ve got to adapt. That said, the idea behind it was for the student to be paid for the use of their image and other related aspects. Is Packs image really worth $450,000 to the local LSU area? Don’t think so.

Reactions: pboiler18
Let me give you this hypothetical, in all seriousness. Curious if you’ll be able to punch holes in it:

Say that one of the truly gifted engineering students at Purdue proves themselves incredibly gifted based on what they’ve done during Purdue activities. This student’s work has brought major grants to Purdue. So much so that the student is offered big money by private engineering firms for off campus work. In fact, those engineering firms are offering big money just for the student to show up, because they want to support that student and want them to stay at Purdue instead of bolting early to another firm or away from Purdue.

Now say there’s a Georgia Tech hyper-talented engineering student that’s considering transferring to Purdue. Central Indiana engineering firms give the student off-campus appearance fees and paid work assignments, and he transfers to those firms’ favorite school. Those firms think they have a better chance at hiring him when he completes his work.

3) Would you bar the engineering student from being compensated in these scenarios?
4) Is at least some of the resistance to NIL merely resistance to warranted change?

I hate the easy portal movement, but I’m wondering if NIL (a separate new thing) is simply the free market at work, which isn’t always equitable to all.
If we’re turning college sports into minor league professional sports, there should be a draft, multi-year contracts, and a salary cap.

The whole model depends on billion dollar TV packages, which depend on huge ratings, which won’t continue to be there when half the fans quit watching because the deck is stacked against their program.

Why not just let the schools use their TV money to pay the players directly?

Reactions: DAG10
NIL is here to stay. We’ve got to adapt. That said, the idea behind it was for the student to be paid for the use of their image and other related aspects. Is Packs image really worth $450,000 to the local LSU area? Don’t think so.
Purdue will adapt, both competitively and within the rules as they exist. This is where the distinction with places like Indinia will become clear. The second they hired an assistant who wanted to cheat (check the wiretaps) and then fired and orchestrated a trashing of an alum who didn’t want to fall in line and do those things, their fate was sealed. Combine that with their BiG-leading ease of admissions and eligibility maintenance and you have their formula for attempting to return to relevance. They’ll need to hurry though as Woodson looks and sounds like he just turned 85, with the “your grandparents saw me play” stories getting a little stale for today‘s players and their reps.

Rest assured Purdue will do this right and competitively, even if that takes time. Academics will continue to be the hallmark of the sports programs and the University mission. Be glad the standards to compete with honor exist, since we know a quick look South shows a much lower level of acceptable and endorsed behavior.

Purdue will adapt, both competitively and within the rules as they exist. This is where the distinction with places like Indinia will become clear. The second they hired an assistant who wanted to cheat (check the wiretaps) and then fired and orchestrated a trashing of an alum who didn’t want to fall in line and do those things, their fate was sealed. Combine that with their BiG-leading ease of admissions and eligibility maintenance and you have their formula for attempting to return to relevance. They’ll need to hurry though as Woodson looks and sounds like he just turned 85, with the “your grandparents saw me play” stories getting a little stale for today‘s players and their reps.

Rest assured Purdue will do this right and competitively, even if that takes time. Academics will continue to be the hallmark of the sports programs and the University mission. Be glad the standards to compete with honor exist, since we know a quick look South shows a much lower level of acceptable and endorsed behavior.
Beyond the gratuitous insults toward IU — Purdue may very well get this done, but are they currently guilty of a huge failure in recognizing that there was a timely need to do so?

If we’re turning college sports into minor league professional sports, there should be a draft, multi-year contracts, and a salary cap.

The whole model depends on billion dollar TV packages, which depend on huge ratings, which won’t continue to be there when half the fans quit watching because the deck is stacked against their program.

Why not just let the schools use their TV money to pay the players directly?
A good take, but while you quoted my post, not sure you really responded to it.

Isn't college in general A training ground for professionals, whether it be for basketball or engineering?

Curious as to your thoughts on the difference as per the non-basketball hypothetical above.

Say that one of the truly gifted engineering students at Purdue proves themselves incredibly gifted based on what they’ve done during Purdue activities. This student’s work has brought major grants to Purdue. So much so that the student is offered big money by private engineering firms for off campus work. In fact, those engineering firms are offering big money just for the student to show up, because they want to support that student and want them to stay at Purdue instead of bolting early to another firm.

3) Would you bar that engineering student from being compensated in this scenario?

Some interesting thoughts, and I can see that side, although I don't necessarily agree - however, I'm sure they are plenty who do. These examples do bring more into focus what some of the problematic issues are.

There are naturally some loose similarities, but amateur athletics ≠ free market and compensation. IMHO, this is the result of running at break-neck speed with good intentions but without a strong plan, adherence to safeguards, and also having a recent history of non-enforcement/lack of accountability. Yes, some State legislatures forced the issue, but the NCAA had other options to react or deal with this - IMO, they took the easy way out with "rules/guidelines" that won't be effectively enforced. Welcome to the Wild, Wild West.

What you're really talking about now is that NCAA colleges and players are part of a minor professional league......so be it, I suppose. Be careful what you wish for. This has totally flipped the "booster" concern/issue on its head and ensured it will take root and dominate the concept. And this is just getting started - you aint seen nothing yet.

Also, the engineering student is getting paid directly tied to her/his "educational" pursuits.....not just a loose association with the University from athletics or another secondary pursuit. Unless you want to say, these players (and I guess they are in a way) are majoring in Basketball, Football, Volleyball, etc.

I definitely agree that some of the collateral damage will be less donations to the University/Athletic Department in general as a chunk of funds is now bypassing that and going directly to "student" athletes. There's only so much from charitable sources - those gifts/donations won't just magically increase.

I also agree that Purdue will stick with its usual strategy where athletic resources are concerned - deliberate, conservative, trailing, and less effective (over the initial term) compared to its closest peers.....unless an influential person takes the lead, which I don't see at this juncture. They may eventually strike the right balance, but that means playing catch-up.....again.

Might just be time to drive the Chevy to the Levee.

DISCLAIMER - I am admittedly an old school dinosaur and particularly irritated with the state of the lawn this spring.

That 85 year old just brought in two 5 stars in his most recent recruiting class...I would focus on other things.

Isn't college in general A training ground for professionals, whether it be for basketball or engineering?

Curious as to your thoughts on the difference as per the non-basketball hypothetical above.
That’s an apples and oranges analogy.

Some interesting thoughts, and I can see that side, although I don't necessarily agree - however, I'm sure they are plenty who do. These examples do bring more into focus what some of the problematic issues are.

There are naturally some loose similarities, but amateur athletics ≠ free market and compensation. IMHO, this is the result of running at break-neck speed with good intentions but without a strong plan, adherence to safeguards, and also having a recent history of non-enforcement/lack of accountability. Yes, some State legislatures forced the issue, but the NCAA had other options to react or deal with this - IMO, they took the easy way out with "rules/guidelines" that won't be effectively enforced. Welcome to the Wild, Wild West.

What you're really talking about now is that NCAA colleges and players are part of a minor professional league......so be it, I suppose. Be careful what you wish for. This has totally flipped the "booster" concern/issue on its head and ensured it will take root and dominate the concept. And this is just getting started - you aint seen nothing yet.

Also, the engineering student is getting paid directly tied to her/his "educational" pursuits.....not just a loose association with the University from athletics or another secondary pursuit. Unless you want to say, these players (and I guess they are in a way) are majoring in Basketball, Football, Volleyball, etc.

I definitely agree that some of the collateral damage will be less donations to the University/Athletic Department in general as a chunk of funds is now bypassing that and going directly to "student" athletes. There's only so much from charitable sources - those gifts/donations won't just magically increase.

I also agree that Purdue will stick with its usual strategy where athletic resources are concerned - deliberate, conservative, trailing, and less effective (over the initial term) compared to its closest peers.....unless an influential person takes the lead, which I don't see at this juncture. They may eventually strike the right balance, but that means playing catch-up.....again.

Might just be time to drive the Chevy to the Levee.

DISCLAIMER - I am admittedly an old school dinosaur and particularly irritated with the state of the lawn this spring.
If I could “love” this post instead of like it I would.

A great summary of the downside of this.

That 85 year old just brought in two 5 stars in his most recent recruiting class...I would focus on other things.
He did, and I outlined the formula for how that process will work and likely did specific to those players. They’ve determined how they think it’s best to return to relevance. Purdue starts from a much different place and with different standards, with a different course ahead as a result.

Purdue will be fine. My guess is the Pack situation is the wake-up call for things to get serious. Shouldn’t have come to this but here we are.

Reactions: BBG and TX4GB
Beyond the gratuitous insults toward IU — Purdue may very well get this done, but are they currently guilty of a huge failure in recognizing that there was a timely need to do so?
That may be the case for many schools, though I think there’s likely some great benefit in not being hasty here. Collectives are an interesting approach, but the chances of them quickly becoming unmanageable monsters in all this are high. Some people who contribute will want a say about how things are run, who gets recruited, who plays, who stays and who goes. Winning the first hundred meters in a marathon isn’t and shouldn’t be the objective here.

100% of Purdue engineering graduates will have full careers as engineers.

What is it for basketball? a few %?

Reactions: Boiler8285
100% of Purdue engineering graduates will have full careers as engineers.

What is it for basketball? a few %?
I’d say that somewhere around or even over 50% of Purdue bball players will have a career in basketball for at least awhile, whether it’s playing or coaching/training.

Last edited:

Now say there’s a Georgia Tech hyper-talented engineering student that’s considering transferring to Purdue. Central Indiana engineering firms give the student off-campus appearance fees and paid work assignments, and he transfers to those firms’ favorite school. Those firms think they have a better chance at hiring him when he completes his work.

Purdue is a top ten engineering school. GATech is not. Your analogy is flawed.

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider
Well, these "easier" courses are open to every student as well as they MUST be a part of a path to a major. There are football players who have complained that their HS teammates at other schools get their papers done for them, are not checked to see if they are in the classroom, and have classes that only athletes are in ... none of those things happen at PU ... and, to my knowledge, don't happen at other B1G schools.

TO be honest, as Organizational Leadership is a popular major for football players, I find what it teaches about communication, personality types, psychology, and leadership are valuable life skills.
Well, while I agree with most of what you are saying I will stipulate that this isn't entirely true. I wrote a couple of papers for a friend on the football team in early 90's. :)

This recruitment was an eye opener. I wouldn’t have thought Pack would’ve commanded 450k as a point guard or Purdue would’ve been that far behind. Shows how much jack Miami is willing to pay.

This recruitment was an eye opener. I wouldn’t have thought Pack would’ve commanded 450k as a point guard or Purdue would’ve been that far behind. Shows how much jack Miami is willing to pay.
Most of these schools have been treading in this for years. NCAA just validated to let it take place and will soon have zero authority to punish the programs that wrongly doing it.

Purdue has been out recruited for many years. Will or could this change anything....time will tell.

Most of these schools have been treading in this for years. NCAA just validated to let it take place and will soon have zero authority to punish the programs that wrongly doing it.

Purdue has been out recruited for many years. Will or could this change anything....time will tell.
They really weren’t punishing anyone anyway. How did the bbq turn out? Was it good bourbon. Meant to ask you that.

They really weren’t punishing anyone anyway. How did the bbq turn out? Was it good bourbon. Meant to ask you that.
Pulled the butcher paper off and looks good. Have my burnt ends smoking coming off here in about 15 minutes. Smoked Mac and smoked bacon cabbage. Bourbon today is a smoked old fashioned made with Weller SR and a small sipper of Stagg Jr. Honestly, my wife hates that I smoke everything, besides breakfast on the Blackstone. I guess, she shouldn't complain....I'm cooking 🤔🤔

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Pulled the butcher paper off and looks good. Have my burnt ends smoking coming off here in about 15 minutes. Smoked Mac and smoked bacon cabbage. Bourbon today is a smoked old fashioned made with Weller SR and a small sipper of Stagg Jr. Honestly, my wife hates that I smoke everything, besides breakfast on the Blackstone. I guess, she shouldn't complain....I'm cooking 🤔🤔
Great thing living near Kentucky I get those great single batch stuff at great prices. I like to find the best tasting cheapest bourbon I can find. Like a game to me. Damn burnt ends are addicting. My wife is so so on smoked foods too.

Reactions: Poprudy
Great thing living near Kentucky I get those great single batch stuff at great prices. I like to find the best tasting cheapest bourbon I can find. Like a game to me. Damn burnt ends are addicting. My wife is so so on smoked foods too.
Honestly, living in the Fort probably helps my marriage 😂😂. If, I lived near Kentucky she would hate me. Kentucky is a sweet heaven of great juice. You're spot on with great prices compared to potential secondary market up this way. Luckily, I have a friend who owns multiple liquor stores here. That's not necessarily a good thing for the addiction though 😉

Well cheers to your weekend and I don't want to admit this, but yesterday I was speaking to a buddy/local attorney and former bball manager during the RMK years. IU has moved the NIL needle pretty quickly and Woodson has done a fantastic job at it.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I've said it once I'll say it again, this is the day college basketball died

It no longer matters how good you recruit, it matters how much you will pay. And small schools that sometimes got a good player to go their way, will likely be the way of the past.

It likey is going to be hard to even watch when the best teams that money can buy are always the ones winning.
I totally agree with you. Alumni from schools with a rich academic history will be very unlikely to donate their money to some basketball player to play for 1 year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indy_Rider
Honestly, living in the Fort probably helps my marriage 😂😂. If, I lived near Kentucky she would hate me. Kentucky is a sweet heaven of great juice. You're spot on with great prices compared to potential secondary market up this way. Luckily, I have a friend who owns multiple liquor stores here. That's not necessarily a good thing for the addiction though 😉

Well cheers to your weekend and I don't want to admit this, but yesterday I was speaking to a buddy/local attorney and former bball manager during the RMK years. IU has moved the NIL needle pretty quickly and Woodson has done a fantastic job at it.
I had to slow way down on my transgressions. I grew up in Bloomington and bourbon wasn’t on my radar. I had a friend from Oregon introduce me to the sweetness. So a good cigar and a glass of bourbon every Sunday.

Reactions: Poprudy
ADVERTISEMENT