ADVERTISEMENT

How confident is Painter that Pack will come to Purdue?

I believe purdue had a great NIL program already in place. the NIl money doesn't come from the school. it comes from donors. they just couldn't find donors willing to just give away $500,000 - $1 million a year to keep 18 year old athletes happy. has anybody here donated $1 million, lately?

Well, while I agree with most of what you are saying I will stipulate that this isn't entirely true. I wrote a couple of papers for a friend on the football team in early 90's. :)
Oh, I'm sure - but that was neither arranged nor supported by the athletic department.

Reactions: Abugabby
NIL is here to stay. We’ve got to adapt. That said, the idea behind it was for the student to be paid for the use of their image and other related aspects. Is Packs image really worth $450,000 to the local LSU area? Don’t think so.
Pack is a really good college player and unlike at Purdue where ticket sales are a given, winning and losing makes a big difference in ticket sales at Miami.

If his impact on that team brings in 2,000 more fans a game times 20 home games at $40 a ticket?

He’s a player that’s worth $1.6 million annually.

Pack is a really good college player and unlike at Purdue where ticket sales are a given, winning and losing makes a big difference in ticket sales at Miami.

If his impact on that team brings in 2,000 more fans a game times 20 home games at $40 a ticket?

He’s a player that’s worth $1.6 million annually.
great point. Well done! I see the catch now.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Would there be any difference in how NIL is ran between public and private schools since private schools don’t have to disclose budgets? Like Purdue and Miami for example.

I’d say that somewhere around or even over 50% of Purdue bball players will have a career in basketball for at least awhile, whether it’s playing or coaching/training.

100% of Purdue engineering graduates can have a full career with engineering, and very successful, if they choose.. I still think it is single digits for basketball players. Maybe 50% can earn a living for a few years from basketball but after that it is scrounging for a job.

Would there be any difference in how NIL is ran between public and private schools since private schools don’t have to disclose budgets? Like Purdue and Miami for example.
NIL is not run through the University. It’s a direct to athlete contract. Most Universities ahead of the game set up a portal. It lists all thier student athletes with hyperlink to contact them directly. So the universities don’t have anything to disclose.

NIL is not run through the University. It’s a direct to athlete contract. Most Universities ahead of the game set up a portal. It lists all thier student athletes with hyperlink to contact them directly. So the universities don’t have anything to disclose.
There is a lot of misunderstanding on this board about NIL. PU isn't prepared or willing to get into it at a high level so there are many on here that haven't done the research to understand how it works. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of it at all. But it is legal now and schools that don't participate will be left behind. Pack is just the first of many...

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
There is a lot of misunderstanding on this board about NIL. PU isn't prepared or willing to get into it at a high level so there are many on here that haven't done the research to understand how it works. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of it at all. But it is legal now and schools that don't participate will be left behind. Pack is just the first of many...
What is actually going on is against the rules. The NIL isn’t intended to be a recruiting tool. Purdue was actually playing it by the rules but we saw how easy it is to get around.

But its so irrelevant when you are having a discussion of college basketball players.

The chances of you being a great basketball player and academically strong enough to get a Masters Degree from Purdue in Engineering while playing college basketball are about slim and none.

We all have different gifts. Someone who wants an engineering degree from Purdue has to be academically talented and dedicated to his/her studies. It can't be just something you do while playing college basketball. I would argue most of the players wouldn't have the SAT scores or academic record to get into an engineering program at Purdue or any other top tier program anyway.

Let me give you this hypothetical, in all seriousness. Curious if you’ll be able to punch holes in it:

Say that one of the truly gifted engineering students at Purdue proves themselves incredibly gifted based on what they’ve done during Purdue activities. This student’s work has brought major grants to Purdue. So much so that the student is offered big money by private engineering firms for off campus work. In fact, those engineering firms are offering big money just for the student to show up, because they want to support that student and want them to stay at Purdue instead of bolting early to another firm or away from Purdue.

Now say there’s a Georgia Tech hyper-talented engineering student that’s considering transferring to Purdue. Central Indiana engineering firms give the student off-campus appearance fees and paid work assignments, and he transfers to Purdue, the firms’ favorite school. Those firms think they have a better chance at hiring him when he completes his work.

1) Isn’t that how free market capitalism is supposed to work?
2) How is that different from NIL?
3) Would you bar the engineering student from being compensated in these scenarios?
4) Is at least some of the resistance to NIL merely resistance to warranted change?

I hate the easy portal movement, but I’m wondering if NIL (a separate new thing) is simply the free market at work, which isn’t always equitable to all.
The basketball equivalent to your scenario would be if the Pacers paid players to come play at Purdue so that they would have a better chance to sign those players after they graduate. As we know, that's not how it works in bball.

Reactions: Poprudy
What specific rule did Miami break?
If an NIL package was proposed to Pack before he enrolled or even committed to a school, that’s against the rules. It’s not to be used as a recruiting inducement. I think most people understand that’s not how it will work, and that enforcement of this will be nearly impossible.

What will be interesting is whether NIL donors can or will choose to revoke their financial commitments when players either transgress in the community or on the court / field. When the point guard evades the cops while doing 90, the team heads out for a late night bake off while on a road trip, or the tight end roughs up his girlfriend, we know that Indinia doesn’t reprimand them. What we don’t know is whether the NIL parties will have contractual clauses related to off-field / court behavior, and how that might work. Will the spigot get turned off, even when the university does nothing about the behavior? Doubt the behavioral stuff elicits any react but pure performance issues do get benefactor’s attention.

Reactions: TX4GB
If an NIL package was proposed to Pack before he enrolled or even committed to a school, that’s against the rules. It’s not to be used as a recruiting inducement. I think most people understand that’s not how it will work, and that enforcement of this will be nearly impossible.

What will be interesting is whether NIL donors can or will choose to revoke their financial commitments when players either transgress in the community or on the court / field. When the point guard evades the cops while doing 90, the team heads out for a late night bake off while on a road trip, or the tight end roughs up his girlfriend, we know that Indinia doesn’t reprimand them. What we don’t know is whether the NIL parties will have contractual clauses related to off-field / court behavior, and how that might work. Will the spigot get turned off, even when the university does nothing about the behavior? Doubt the behavioral stuff elicits any react but pure performance issues do get benefactor’s attention.
You bring up a really interesting point that I had not thought about until now. I’m curious about the reverse effect of what you described in your second paragraph. With these NIL contracts coming from boosters, I wonder how much say they will want in regard to roster management. Let’s say I’m paying a player 500k and he gets in trouble with the law. Normally, you might expect the coach to suspend a player or kick him off the team, but I’m not going to want my “investment” missing games. Since the people making these NIL deals are probably donating a ton to the team, I wonder if they will be able to influence disciplinary (and other) decisions.

You bring up a really interesting point that I had not thought about until now. I’m curious about the reverse effect of what you described in your second paragraph. With these NIL contracts coming from boosters, I wonder how much say they will want in regard to roster management. Let’s say I’m paying a player 500k and he gets in trouble with the law. Normally, you might expect the coach to suspend a player or kick him off the team, but I’m not going to want my “investment” missing games. Since the people making these NIL deals are probably donating a ton to the team, I wonder if they will be able to influence disciplinary (and other) decisions.
It could work both ways. A person / company might see a negative association that’s created and want to limit or sever ties. When the IU tight beat up his girlfriend, an NIL sponsor might pull their deal, even while the coach and Universiy didn’t require him to miss any game time. If Xavier Johnson had a car deal, they might not be thrilled with how he’s using it and choose to revoke the arrangement. On the other hand, a disciplinary response from the University might be met with ”Do you know how much we‘re paying that kid? He needs to be back on the field, now!”

I think the bigger issue will simply be performance related. If a kid isn’t playing well or, more likely, an NIL sponsor believes another kid should be playing more, that’s where this could get tricky. And coaches need to watch their backs. NIL sponsors are paying for play / performance. Any perceived hinderance toward the achievement of that will elicit a not-so-nice response from some people who are paying the bills. They’ll definitely want a say in who gets recruited, who plays, how a player is used . . .

Reactions: PUQBMan.
You think we could get Elon and SpaceX to drum up some big donations for NIL. We could leverage our Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering program.

Reactions: BBG and TX4GB

Good points. What people forget is those are headline numbers similar to any sports contract. Is that 800k guaranteed? Are there performance bonus for being all conference, All American, NCAA tourney wins etc?

Just give the coach an offer he can't refuse.....

"NA......na na NA.....na NA.....na......."

Good points. What people forget is those are headline numbers similar to any sports contract. Is that 800k guaranteed? Are there performance bonus for being all conference, All American, NCAA tourney wins etc?

My understanding, Beef, is that most of the State NIL statutes don't allow compensation for athletic performance - it's use of name, image, and likeness....now, there might be appearance and time commitments and other performance measures but not for the athletic competitions from my preliminary understanding.

Take that with a grain of salt as I am not as well-versed in the weeds as some others.

Technically it’s not Miami. It was between Pack and the sponsor. Still against the rules. They won’t enforce it though.
I get how NIL works. What I'm asking is what rule was broken? You said they weren't playing by the rules. What rule did they break. I'm not being a smartass, I'm sincerely asking what did they do against the rules? Someone else said that "if" they negotiated this before he signed with Miami it would be breaking the rules. Do we have any evidence that is what happened? I get it, we're all very disappointed he isn't coming here. But simply saying Miami didn't follow the rules and we did doesn't make it so.

This is just the start of a wild ride. At $800k, Pack will be the second highest paid person in the program, behind only the head coach. He’ll be paid more than any of the assistants, which makes one wonder how much he’ll listen to them rather than any of the advisors around him. Whether that is guaranteed or incentive laden, the balance of power on teams will definitely be changed.

The NCAA and the member schools still pull in hundreds of millions of dollars annually, and players don’t get any of it. NIL allows them to make money on their own, but they’re still going to want a share of the much bigger pie that’s there. Another poster incorrectly estimated Pack’s value to UM as a function of ticket sales as they relate to NIL payments. UM gets all the benefit of increased revenues in that scenario for none of the expense, which means the bigger issue of revenue sharing remains unaddressed. It’s what dictates every labor disagreement in pro sports and it will be the single biggest issue soon in the college game, too. No chance that much larger fight ends because of NIL. Delayed, perhaps, but it’s not resolved because NIL is here.

Last edited:
I get how NIL works. What I'm asking is what rule was broken? You said they weren't playing by the rules. What rule did they break. I'm not being a smartass, I'm sincerely asking what did they do against the rules? Someone else said that "if" they negotiated this before he signed with Miami it would be breaking the rules. Do we have any evidence that is what happened? I get it, we're all very disappointed he isn't coming here. But simply saying Miami didn't follow the rules and we did doesn't make it so.
It was known 2 days in advance that pack was offered “deals”. 250k by Ohio state. 400k by Miami and nothing by Purdue. You can’t use money to recruit. The recruit can’t ask for money. It’s the same as an alum giving out bags of money to play. It’s an impermissible inducement. It’s hard to prove but it’s clearly he went with the most money. Only way to know about the amounts is if he/they negotiate before signing. That’s a rules violation. They clearly negotiated before.

Reactions: Roeder
Damn, now I REALLY want a juice box.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT