ADVERTISEMENT

How confident is Painter that Pack will come to Purdue?

Are these NCAA guidelines or Purdue guidelines for pursuing a degree?
If it's NCAA, does that mean every athlete at every school has to fulfill those requirements?
they are NCAA - but remember, if a general studies degree is available, then the NCAA accepts that as a degree program. That is what you are missing!!!!!

Actually, that is not true. If he hasn't taken the early Math, English, Foreign Language, and Comm classes in his first four semesters, he cannot fit into the NCAA guidelines for pursuing a degree ... because he will be FAR behind in requirements for that degree and will not be eligible to compete.
interesting read;

If it's NCAA, does that mean every athlete at every school has to fulfill those requirements?
What in the fking hell are you doing arguing about soomething you know nothing about ... Geezus

Reactions: Chris P Bacon
they are NCAA - but remember, if a general studies degree is available, then the NCAA accepts that as a degree program. That is what you are missing!!!!!
Can Purdue athletes go into the Exploratory Studies program for 4 semesters and remain eligible?

Student athletes commit to academic achievement and the pursuit of a degree. They are required to meet yearly standards to be able to compete. These progress-toward-degree rules require athletes to advance toward graduation each year. College athletes’ progress is monitored by grades, minimum credit hours per year and degree progress.

What in the hell does online versus in-class do with this debate

NOW you are shifting to online versus in-class class ... will you ever stop moving the fking goalposts
Why are you so upset? You're like a liberal at a Trump rally.

Can Purdue athletes go into the Exploratory Studies program for 4 semesters and remain eligible?
Go find out for yourself .... not a single athlete that I know has ever gone into that program... Jesus Ch /// will you ever admit you're an idiot

interesting read;
I took several classes online, it's a great tool for those with different schedules and needs. And if exams are proctored then there's hardly any difference from a normal class, except you just won't be in a class room. There was really no point in that article other than "well they may not be doing their own work" as if all students are doing their own work and the athletes getting help from a student is suddenly a heinous crime.

I took several classes online, it's a great tool for those with different schedules and needs. And if exams are proctored then there's hardly any difference from a normal class, except you just won't be in a class room. There was really no point in that article other than "well they may not be doing their own work" as if all students are doing their own work and the athletes getting help from a student is suddenly a heinous crime.
thank you

Back in 2019, Purdue athletics had a graduation rate of 86%. I think basketball was a little lower than that. But that tells you that student athletes are not just hanging around in a general studies program...
Graduating from college in a major that's not engineering or something similar, isn't "That" difficult when you have every possible advantage designed to keep you eligible. If it were, you'd see a much higher academic casualty rate that whatever it is currently.

Reactions: DAG10
I'm not sure if it is better now or not. But, critical thinking, different personality types, de-escalation of conflict, motivating workers, and communicating well are all emphasized. And again, I mention the required semesters of math, comm, English and foreign language. When compared to a real general studies program that does not require any of that ... huge difference in study and effort involved. Plus, it does provide those students with skills that can be helpful in nearly every aspect of the workforce. These men and women are often VERY ill-prepared for general society when they get here. High school for athletes in some parts of the country bears no resemblance to high school in our area (although I don't know where you moved on to from Harry's).
The foreign language aspect part of it for me was the most difficult, math was a struggle but I don’t believe anything above Algebra 2 was on the schedule. For what it it’s worth I joined the trades after graduation and retired at 51.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Graduating from college in a major that's not engineering or something similar, isn't "That" difficult when you have every possible advantage designed to keep you eligible. If it were, you'd see a much higher academic casualty rate that whatever it is currently.
So are you suggesting that every other major other than engineering is easy? That's really just not a very smart viewpoint. The fact that these guys are practicing daily and traveling extensively is like someone with a full time job going to college at the same time. Your take on this lacks logic...

So are you suggesting that every other major other than engineering is easy? That's really just not a very smart viewpoint. The fact that these guys are practicing daily and traveling extensively is like someone with a full time job going to college at the same time. Your take on this lacks logic...
No, that's not what I said. Engineering and some of the other majors are clearly more difficult, require considerable time commitment, a lot of natural brains (and in the absence of natural brains the willingness to make up for it with hard work). That's why you see very few athletes in those types of majors but you see lots of athletes in things like Supervision, Exercise science, criminology.
And again, they have access to every possible support needed or desired in order for them to do what is required to stay eligible.

No, that's not what I said. Engineering and some of the other majors are clearly more difficult, require considerable time commitment, a lot of natural brains (and in the absence of natural brains the willingness to make up for it with hard work). That's why you see very few athletes in those types of majors but you see lots of athletes in things like Supervision, Exercise science, criminology.
And again, they have access to every possible support needed or desired in order for them to do what is required to stay eligible.
You won't see any Purdue athletes in Supervision, Exercise Science or Criminology

Engineering requires a considerable time commitment? Man, I really must've done something wrong.

• Haha
You won't see any Purdue athletes in Supervision, Exercise Science or Criminology
I'm not sure what this post means, but many PU Athletes are in OLS .... But, Akeem Hunt graduated with a degree in Kinesiology ... That is one hell of a difficult major. Jackson Anthrop was in a tough major too, but I don't remember what it was. One of the quarterbacks a few years ago graduated in Construction Technology Mgt ... a heavily math oriented major.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what this post means, but many PU Athletes are in OLS .... But, Akeem Hunt graduated with a degree in Kinesiology ... That is one hell of a difficult major. Jackson Anthrop was in a tough major too, but I don't remember what it was. One of the quarterbacks a few years ago graduated in Construction Technology Mgt ... a heavily math oriented major.
And Elijah Sindelar who actually did get a degree in Electrical Engineering. But apparently he had "every advantage" that none of the rest of the engineering grads had. Sorry...bonefish doesn't seem to understand what kind of a "time commitment" being an athlete is.

Purdue has no major called Supervision, Exercise Science or Criminology

There used to be a Supervision major in the School of Technology. Maybe it has been renamed to Organizational Leadership or something similar?
Yea Organizational Leadership is probably it now but I was just being overly simplistic in response to bone

I wish you would do more research. Undecided Lib Arts MUST be decided into a degree program (to meet NCAA requirements) after the first four semesters. It is NOT a degree program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assure you that many athletes here discuss how easy it would be if they had just gone to many different other schools. Most in the South
If they were talented enough to play at those schools in the South, they would have that luxury.

Purdue offers plenty of majors for student-athletes, but, it also...just like so many (although maybe to a lesser extent)...offers majors that are anything but rigorous...AND, they have a ton of help at their disposal as well.

Yea Organizational Leadership is probably it now but I was just being overly simplistic in response to bone
Ha ok. I didn’t read earlier comments since we went down this road with him before (yearly it seems).

Reactions: Aamesker
And Elijah Sindelar who actually did get a degree in Electrical Engineering. But apparently he had "every advantage" that none of the rest of the engineering grads had. Sorry...bonefish doesn't seem to understand what kind of a "time commitment" being an athlete is.
You were able to come up with one example from 5 years ago? I think I said less than 5 % are in some sort of engineering major. Meaning, the vast, vast majority of these guys are at Purdue to play football, not take the toughest major.

When I was in school, it was called supervision, or something similar. It's what most of the guys in my house majored in when they couldn't hack it in engineering.

You were able to come up with one example from 5 years ago? I think I said less than 5 % are in some sort of engineering major. Meaning, the vast, vast majority of these guys are at Purdue to play football, not take the toughest major.
What in the hell is your point here? Like more than 5% of the football players at Stanford are there for the education? Why are you so focused on proving that Purdue athletes are ... geez, I can't even figure out what you are trying to prove ... and failing miserably.

I made some calls. Almost all the athletes at O$U, MSU, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and, wait for it, IU .... are there to get a degree in their toughest major. I know --- amazing!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT