ADVERTISEMENT

How are we loving these freshman?

I really like all of our freshmen. Brian is a very mature passer, getting more comfortable w his knee strength and agility. He seems to be a stabilizer - when he comes in. LoveSmith and Loyer - moxie and confidence doesn’t do them Justice. They are unselfish and really play within themselves. They are fabulous freshmen. Very impressed with Trey - he may be our best post up power forward - ever. He will become a Boilermaker legend. I really like Ethan Morton’s leadership, vision and hustle. He seems to be quicker to the ball and have better lateral movement. Really like his demeanor. In the Texas game last year you could really see his passion and his heart. He continues to get better each game. Love Caleb’s timing, unselfish play and giving up his body for his team. He is great around the basket and has become a very good dagger - 3 point shooter. Eddy’s text to his teammates says it all. He is our leader and very stoic even when he is under physical assault. Seemingly, this years team has great chemistry. Our fabulous glue guy - Mason has really improved his game. I thought when he was a freshman - he had great timing and three point form. Love his hustle, his vision on the court and his timing for just the right play at the right time. I love his high post passes into Zach. At the beginning of the year - I thought Brandon and Dave would be starting. Very happy with their production in coming with the second wave. They really give us a different dynamic on the floor and especially with Gonzaga, Duke and Marquette. I love this team, it’s unselfishness, it’s chemistry on and off the court.
Looking forward to seeing Cam Heide next year. He will be a star. It is exciting to think of Myles contributions next year also. Will Berg is working hard on his game - I am sure. We are getting Purdue players, athleticism and high basketball IQ. So proud of their academic excellence as well.
When NCAA passed NIL - I thought just when Purdue was getting a great recruiting position - now we will lose out on players like Nijel Pack- but as my husband says now, “Nijel who?”
Thank you Coach for doing things the right way- the “Purdue Way!”

Love the positive nature of your comments. Great post.

But one thing, Heide, where does he even get minutes next year to be a star?

I was talking about comps from the modern era. Impossible to comp guys when there wasn't a shot clock or 3 point line. Completely different game.
Billy Keller was 5-10, tremendously strong, a great floor leader famous for his hustle, and could drive to the hoop or hit from outside. He was one of the best 3-pt shooters in the ABA. Oh, and he was Indiana Mr. Basketball.

Billy Keller was 5-10, tremendously strong, a great floor leader famous for his hustle, and could drive to the hoop or hit from outside. He was one of the best 3-pt shooters in the ABA. Oh, and he was Indiana Mr. Basketball.

Watched him on ABA pacers he was great, Dad 88, talks about his great game he had while @ Purdue. Loved him.

Watching Brandon play, I think his anticipation of what is going to happen is well beyond that talent in most players. He is already moving to the spot for a rebound when the shot is in the air. He gets ahead of his opponent when guarding, almost as though he knows where the guy is going and when the ball is coming in. He has the same kind of anticipation with his team mates too. Watch him and see where he is looking and where he is moving. Don't just watch the ball. He is a for-real talent.

I never said that Billy Keller wasn't a good player. He was very good in his era. What I said was it's impossible to comp guys that far back because the game has changed so much. I'm old enough to have seen Keller play. I was a huge Pacer fan as a kid. If you think that's a good comp, no problem. Everyone can have their opinion.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I never said that Billy Keller wasn't a good player. He was very good in his era. What I said was it's impossible to comp guys that far back because the game has changed so much. I'm old enough to have seen Keller play. I was a huge Pacer fan as a kid. If you think that's a good comp, no problem. Everyone can have their opinion.
Agreed. My post was to give several direct points of comparison, which I thing is what OB52 may have had in mind. (I previously had the same thoughts about the Smith-Keller comparison.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT