ADVERTISEMENT

Haas

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
Painter has had four different centers lead the team in scoring at Purdue: Landry, Johnson, Hammons, and Biggie (who played more minutes at the 5 than the 4 last season). Yet, none of those 4 ever averaged 25 points per 40 minutes, a feat that Isaac Haas has accomplished twice. With Hammons and Biggie both gone, I think that this is Isaac's year to become the focal point of the offense.

Like Vince Edwards, Haas averaged 12.6 points per game last season, but Haas only played about 2/3 as many minutes as Edwards did. Haas should be able to increase his minutes far more than Vince.

Foul trouble could be an issue, but given that Haas only averaged 4.3 personal fouls per 40 minutes last season (5.1 in conference), I don't think that foul trouble in itself should prevent Isaac from playing 25-30 minutes per game.

The key is endurance. This is where I think that four years of intense training should pay off. I believe that Haas is ready to step up and average at least 25 minutes per game, which makes an average of at least 16 points/game seem reasonable.

I predict that Haas will lead Purdue in scoring this season and will take over as the focal point of the office.

I'm going to agree and disagree. Most players elevate their games as sophomores or juniors. I can't see Haas elevating his game much more this year just because he's a senior. He may have great per minute stats, but the reality remains he didn't play 25 minutes in any previous game. After three years, he still had foul trouble problems. and after three years, he still had stamina issues.

as for foul trouble, if a player averages 4.3 fouls per game, that means in many games, he has fouled out, while in many others, he sat on the bench for extended periods of time. he needs to study game film to understand why the fouls were called and hopefully adjust his game accordingly.

I believe Haas will get more rebounds, and I'm hoping he plays more minutes. I can agree he should get 25 minutes a game. But I see Purdue's scoring shifting to its guards this year. I see Edwards, Edwards and Dakota all scoring 15+ ppg as we slash and bomb away with PJ dishing it out. . I think the days of constantly feeding the post are gone. I could see haas getting a lot of put back points if he is aggressive on the offensive boards. I don't see a lot of alley oop passes, or passes for him to create his own shot.

This year we should finally see what Taylor can do. In high school, he was a much higher rated prospect. I expect a lot from Ewing, not as much from Haarms.

I see Haas playing a big role, just not .a big scoring role. But as have mentioned. Painter loves going inside. Will he continue to do so, or change his style to take advantage of our guards? We shall see.

For has to be a big scoring machine, he's going to have to prove he can stay in the game both stamina wise, and out of foul trouble. if he can't I believe we will see a new brand of Purdue basketball.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Haas has benefited from playing less minutes which allows him to appear incredibly efficient. If he gets close to 35 mpg his efficiency is going to dramatically decrease. Haas is slow, fouls often, cannot switch on defense, cannot protect the rim, and has terrible hands.

If people are expecting Haas to be a hero they will be very disappointed.

He will have success against weak teams in early non-conference and by the time we are in the tourney I will be praying that the clumsy turnover machine is riding the pine.

Haas has benefited from playing less minutes which allows him to appear incredibly efficient. If he gets close to 35 mpg his efficiency is going to dramatically decrease. Haas is slow, fouls often, cannot switch on defense, cannot protect the rim, and has terrible hands.

He will have success against weak teams in early non-conference and by the time we are in the tourney I will be praying that the clumsy turnover machine is riding the pine.
Ask other players in the B1G who they fear the most. It's Haas. They have no answer for him. And from your posts, other school fanbases feel the same.

Iowa troll. I think we eat up Iowa this year. Too young, too small, can't shoot from outside 10 feet. Last years horsepower is gone. New guys too young to impact the BIG this year.

At least you don't pretend to be a Purdue fan. We have a few trolls here that are so embarrassed by their own school that they feel the need to pretend to be Purdue fans, but want to post only about how good the rival school is doing. Transperant.

I love Haas, but my money on who will lead the team in scoring is CJ-Boogie the scoring machine. AKA Shaft

I will be pleased if Haas can AVERAGE 25 MPG. He really hasn't come close to that in his first three seasons (14.6 MPG, 14.3 MPG, 19.5 MPG).

Reactions: mathboy
I'm going to agree and disagree. Most players elevate their games as sophomores or juniors. I can't see Haas elevating his game much more this year just because he's a senior. He may have great per minute stats, but the reality remains he didn't play 25 minutes in any previous game. After three years, he still had foul trouble problems. and after three years, he still had stamina issues.

as for foul trouble, if a player averages 4.3 fouls per game, that means in many games, he has fouled out, while in many others, he sat on the bench for extended periods of time. he needs to study game film to understand why the fouls were called and hopefully adjust his game accordingly.

I believe Haas will get more rebounds, and I'm hoping he plays more minutes. I can agree he should get 25 minutes a game. But I see Purdue's scoring shifting to its guards this year. I see Edwards, Edwards and Dakota all scoring 15+ ppg as we slash and bomb away with PJ dishing it out. . I think the days of constantly feeding the post are gone. I could see haas getting a lot of put back points if he is aggressive on the offensive boards. I don't see a lot of alley oop passes, or passes for him to create his own shot.

This year we should finally see what Taylor can do. In high school, he was a much higher rated prospect. I expect a lot from Ewing, not as much from Haarms.

I see Haas playing a big role, just not .a big scoring role. But as have mentioned. Painter loves going inside. Will he continue to do so, or change his style to take advantage of our guards? We shall see.

For has to be a big scoring machine, he's going to have to prove he can stay in the game both stamina wise, and out of foul trouble. if he can't I believe we will see a new brand of Purdue basketball.
I am in partial agreement with you here. I do think we will see a new brand of ball as you suggest but I think it will be mixed with the feeding a dominant back to the basket post. Haas is capable of destroying a defense (ask Wisconsin). He is also capable of struggling with fouls and/or cold spells where he misses a lot of fading shots.
When he is on, ride that horse. When he's not, slash and shoot.

His 4.3 fouls were not per game. They were per 40 minutes. I'm not suggesting that he will play more than 30 minutes per game, nor am I suggesting that he won't have a few games where he plays less than 25 minutes due to foul trouble, but foul trouble alone should not prevent him from averaging 25-30.

As far as him not playing 25 minutes in any previous games, he had 6 games last season where he played at least 25 minutes and 5 more games where he played 24. The main reason why he didn't have more is that his teammate was Caleb Swanigan.

As far as Haas not playing a big scoring role, he's one of the most difficult players to guard 1 on 1 in the country. Painter is going to continue to exploit that.

Painter has had four different centers lead the team in scoring at Purdue: Landry, Johnson, Hammons, and Biggie (who played more minutes at the 5 than the 4 last season). Yet, none of those 4 ever averaged 25 points per 40 minutes, a feat that Isaac Haas has accomplished twice. With Hammons and Biggie both gone, I think that this is Isaac's year to become the focal point of the offense.

Like Vince Edwards, Haas averaged 12.6 points per game last season, but Haas only played about 2/3 as many minutes as Edwards did. Haas should be able to increase his minutes far more than Vince.

Foul trouble could be an issue, but given that Haas only averaged 4.3 personal fouls per 40 minutes last season (5.1 in conference), I don't think that foul trouble in itself should prevent Isaac from playing 25-30 minutes per game.

The key is endurance. This is where I think that four years of intense training should pay off. I believe that Haas is ready to step up and average at least 25 minutes per game, which makes an average of at least 16 points/game seem reasonable.

I predict that Haas will lead Purdue in scoring this season and will take over as the focal point of the office.

Not sure if Haas will lead the team in scoring, only because VE and CE will be in the mix.

I do love the fact that no one is talking about Haas. All the buzz is about CE and how good the '17 recruits are and rightfully so, but the stage is set for Haas to have a potentially dominant SR season for the reasons you have pointed out.

I think Haas have a great year.... but I think Vincent will lead the team in scoring.

That being said, I do not care who does.....I do know if we can get 5 guys scoring in double figures like last year we tend to win games.

So share the sugar and put the ball in the basket.

I say it is like this:
VE: 16 pts a game
Haas: 14 pts a game
Boogie: 12 pts a game
Dakota: 12 pts a game
PJ: 8pts a game
Total= 62 point average for the starters

Ewing, Taylor, Cline, Eastern, Wheeler, Haarms, Sasha
*Note: On any given night any of the bench players could go off for 6 to 10 points easy.
Total: 23 point average for the bench

So around 82 to 85 points a game........

Those are my thoughts.....

Team game and we have a great team that will win lots of games and everyone will get minutes to help.

Boiler Up!

Last edited:
Not sure if Haas will lead the team in scoring, only because VE and CE will be in the mix.

I do love the fact that no one is talking about Haas. All the buzz is about CE and how good the '17 recruits are and rightfully so, but the stage is set for Haas to have a potentially dominant SR season for the reasons you have pointed out.
I think that VE will be the team MVP and CE the most improved, but their emergence will only help Haas. Teams will be reluctant to double off of Mathias, PJ, or Cline, so if Isaac can be proficient at recognizing and passing out of double teams, he should have a lot of isolation opportunities. Teams will have to resort to grabbing and pushing and Isaac should have plenty of opportunities at the line.

Reactions: chaspark
He's been grabbed and pushed his whole career and gets penalized just because of his size. It would make a big difference if the whistles were more objective. It's his time now. He's earned the right to play his game. Go Isaac!

Time to cash in....and "break" the Bank.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

If Haas gets called fairly, he could easily average 20-10. Practically every time he touches the ball, he is fouled. Painter has been pointing it out for years now. Even if they only marginally improve how they call him he should be 15-8 average. If Ewing can prove he can be a Big Ten center and Taylor is healthy, I would like to see Haas around 22-23 mpg. He is slow, can't defend away from the basket, has stone hands, and misses point blank bunnies at times. However, he changes how the other team defends. He can be affective scoring 5 ppg if it means the double teams leave Purdue's shooters open. Haas is the bruiser to soften up the opposing team and get them in fouls trouble. Ewing/Taylor need to be the cleanup men that take advantage of the other teams backups by getting buckets. I think Purdue has all of the pieces and it's important that Haas has a very good year.

Reactions: punaj
Haas will get between 22 and 25 mpg.. he will play more because obviously biggie is gone and they couldnt play together. He needs to STOP with turn around fadeaways and always go at the basket or strait up. If he does 1 fade away he should be taken out and put on the bench until he learns to never do it again.

Defensively if Painter woud just play zone a little each game it would help mask haas defense so much

Defensively if Painter woud just play zone a little each game it would help mask haas defense so much
God not this again. There is literally no data to support that at Purdue a zone would have the impact people think it will.

The defensive numbers from last season were rather good for the most part and we play a sagging defense of sorts anyway.

Reactions: chaspark
I believe Haas will have a good season. I just don't believe he will be our offense's featured player. I also believe Purdue will have a more balanced attack rather than one player carrying the load. Against certain teams, Painter will try to exploit the mismatches Haas creates. We may also see a run and gun and faster tempo.

As for all the bad calls, and all the fouls committed against Haas that are never called, I highly doubt they will change. Haas is not the first big man who was constantly hacked by the opponent and the fouls were never called. And the officials are not rookies. They are going to call the games the same way they always have. Playing basketball is a lot like playing baseball. Different umpires have different strike zones. the good hitters like Boggs and Gwynn learned what those strike zones were and adjusted their game. The bad hitters just stood there and got called out. Haas has to learn what fouls will be called and the tendencies of each ref, and adjust. the refs' job is to keep the game in control, not to call every violation he sees. And unfortunately, many calls are never made. That's not going to change.

I have mixed feelings on Haas. I read the posts when he first decommited and signed with Purdue. I read what both he and his dad said. he came to Purdue because he wanted to play in the NBA, and he felt Painter and Purdue were the best opportunity for him to learn and develop. I have read many posters here say that the NBA types and scouts really like him, yet I have never seen his name in any internet mock draft being even considered as a second round pick. I thought Hammons would be a top 20 pick. He wasn't. and as the NBA has transformed into a smaller, quicker league, I'm not sure Haas' talents will translate into becoming an NBA player. He's not a great outside shooter. He's not a great rebounder or shot blocker. He's not very quick. I'm quite certain his game will improve, but will it be enough? Haas went to the NBA combine this year, but didn't participate in the entire event. Only he knows the evaluations, comparisons, praise and criticisms he received. only he knows what the NBA is looking for and how his talents will fit in. Gone are the days of the star center walking down the court while the rest of the team waits for him to set up the play. Gone are the days when the players feed Kareem the ball and allow him to dictate who will score. Swanigan went to that same combine last year, and accepted the criticisms and worked even harder to prove he belonged. And Swanigan has worked even harder after being drafted to prove he belongs. Will Haas do the same? I've been wrong before. I sure didn't think Kansas' josh Jackson was worthy of being a first round pick, much less the 4th pick in the draft, but he was. I didn't think Michigan's Wilson should be picked ahead of Swanigan, but he was. Guys like Tremble and Hayes went undrafted. the NBA is strange sometimes.

I truly believe Haas will elevate his game this year . I don't believe the refs will change their thinking. and I'm unsure how Haas' game will translate into the NBA. The NBA is a lot different than when Brad Miller and Sheffler entered it. Success is about opportunity, hard work and making adjustments.

Reactions: nagemj02
I am a big Isaac Haas fan, plain and simple. I love that guy. I believe that he's going to have a great year and I don't think there are too many teams out there that can stop him without the double team. I would also venture to say that 99 % of the major college teams out there would love to have him in their line ups.

In 3 years officials haven't figured out how to adjust to Haas's size. This year will be no different. Expect to see the same frustrations as before. Can't expect a kid his size to excel when the rules change from game to game.

I think this years team will have several different players be the top scorer for different games. Who averages the most per game over the season is another question. There are several that have the ability to do so, but one of the things I see about this years team is it will be hard for the opponents to decide who to attempt to take away.

that's what I like about this year's team. it will be very hard to double team one player, because another one will burn you. and unlike the past, where we've seen sagging defenses, we have the perimeter power to keep teams honest.

I even think we might have the skill players to incorporate a full court press.

Reactions: nagemj02 and punaj
I have an opinion about Haas and the calls. I believe we are being told a bunch of bunk about the officials and their problem with his size. I think he is doing little things to get called for fouling. And the coaching staff has not been able to help him adjust. The pro-evaluation camp is a great place to learn more about that and that to me is the only hope that he will finally make that adjustment. He does reach a lot on defense. Foul. He doesn't have good defensive footwork. Foul. He gets those things straightened out and he will be really good. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. Get in the stance.

that's what I like about this year's team. it will be very hard to double team one player, because another one will burn you. and unlike the past, where we've seen sagging defenses, we have the perimeter power to keep teams honest.

I even think we might have the skill players to incorporate a full court press.
Full court pressure may be another season away. I agree the possibility is building though.
My guess would be more of a 3/4 court press that burns shot clock more than generates turnovers. Maybe with an occasional trap when the ball handler gets lacidasical.
Either way it will be fun.

I have an opinion about Haas and the calls. I believe we are being told a bunch of bunk about the officials and their problem with his size. I think he is doing little things to get called for fouling. And the coaching staff has not been able to help him adjust. The pro-evaluation camp is a great place to learn more about that and that to me is the only hope that he will finally make that adjustment. He does reach a lot on defense. Foul. He doesn't have good defensive footwork. Foul. He gets those things straightened out and he will be really good. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. Get in the stance.
I will argue this Inspector. While I agree that Haas is not the quickest at lateral movement, and that's a physical limitation that comes from weighing 290, he does have good foot work. He is generally in good defensive position. It doesn't seem to me that his defensive fouls are inordinately frequent. I think he gets in trouble most often with offensive fouls. Some due to opponents flopping but more often because he extends his elbows out before drop steps or spins. I believe that cleaning up the offensive fouls will be the key to him staying on the court more, and not having Biggie and / or AJ there:). I'm not saying he never has bad defensive nights. I just think those are more the exception. He almost always gets two offensive fouls a night.

I will argue this Inspector. While I agree that Haas is not the quickest at lateral movement, and that's a physical limitation that comes from weighing 290, he does have good foot work. He is generally in good defensive position. It doesn't seem to me that his defensive fouls are inordinately frequent. I think he gets in trouble most often with offensive fouls. Some due to opponents flopping but more often because he extends his elbows out before drop steps or spins. I believe that cleaning up the offensive fouls will be the key to him staying on the court more, and not having Biggie and / or AJ there:). I'm not saying he never has bad defensive nights. I just think those are more the exception. He almost always gets two offensive fouls a night.

From what I have seen, IH's improved over his time (even with hedging), and I agree that although there are limitations, he's generally in good position. His biggest struggles seem to occur (not surprisingly) when the game speeds up for him. I also think there will still be those head-scratching moments on some of the foul calls, but just a hunch (maybe it's the B & G glasses) he starts getting some more even-handed treatment as a senior.

If he can manage to let the game flow happen without rushing but still be decisive on both ends of the floor....I agree with Inspector too....could be really really good results.

JMHO

in watching many games, it appears that in order to keep games under moderate control a foul is usually called on a supporting player rather than the star player who committed it. Very rarely does that star player foul out. Even last year when they called that double foul on biggie and the other player when it was obvious to everyone in attendance and the viewing audience and announcers that only one foul was committed - by the other team's star player. We all say the star player never fouls out on a ticky tack foul.

my assertion is that many times Haas may have been called for a foul as refs tried to regain control of a game. and that perhaps many of the things he was called for he didn't commit, but a foul had to be called. and since he was not the star, the foul was called on him.

or as others have indicated, he's often out of position and makes errors in judgement. it's odd he gets so many calls against him on offense.

From what I have seen, IH's improved over his time (even with hedging), and I agree that although there are limitations, he's generally in good position. His biggest struggles seem to occur (not surprisingly) when the game speeds up for him. I also think there will still be those head-scratching moments on some of the foul calls, but just a hunch (maybe it's the B & G glasses) he starts getting some more even-handed treatment as a senior.

If he can manage to let the game flow happen without rushing but still be decisive on both ends of the floor....I agree with Inspector too....could be really really good results.

JMHO
Yep. I think he is going to have a fantastic season.

Reactions: mediaexpert
Did Nag get to you?

Or is Wolegib an alias for Nag?

#StayWoke

I am my own person. But I've always loved a full court trap defense. In my mind, if you have a great rim protecting center , you could run a trap press all day. and if they break the press the center acts as a goalie and prevents the other team from scoring - much like hockey and soccer. having a great center can make up for a lot of other player's defensive lapses.

I realize in saying this, I've never really seen this philosophy employed with much success at the college level as a good 2 on 1 break usually scores, and the center is charged with a foul.

that reminds me of Ernie Hobbie. NO STANCE, NO CHANCE...course he was talking about shooting and not D

Reactions: Inspector100

Haas had two fouls or less in 23 of 35 games last year and 3 or less in 30 of 35. He didn't foul out once.

Reactions: mediaexpert

OK, not part of my discussion. But, OK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT