ADVERTISEMENT

Fletcher Loyer in 3 NCAA tournament games

He has been aggressive in getting to the rim which has helped him too. Need this version of Fletch to keep showing out like this - good things will keep happening.

Still waiting for that perfect game where everyone of the starting five clicks and goes for 15+

He has been aggressive in getting to the rim which has helped him too. Need this version of Fletch to keep showing out like this - good things will keep happening.

Still waiting for that perfect game where everyone of the starting five clicks and goes for 15+
That's what is crazy about this team. Lance and Braden both had subpar offensive games and we still scored 106 points.

6-11 from 2 (54.5%)
6-12 from 3 (50%)
6-6 FT (100%)
12 points per game
7 assists
4 TOs

In the month of March, he's shooting 72.2% from three and has a nearly 3-1 ATO.

Crazy to think we had people ready to bench him a month ago.
Occasionally Painter and his staff see things in practice that leads him to make decisions that the armchair coaches think are dumb or stubborn. Once in a while, they turn out to be the correct decisions. ;)

The conference season is a grind. It's unrealistic for any player to be great every time out for 20 games. As Painter has pointed out, B1G teams invested a lot in limiting Fletch, and that's created opening for guys like Lance and Braden. Plus, I get the sense that Fletch has been under the microscope a lot more than most.

Reactions: boilerzz
6-11 from 2 (54.5%)
6-12 from 3 (50%)
6-6 FT (100%)
12 points per game
7 assists
4 TOs

In the month of March, he's shooting 72.2% from three and has a nearly 3-1 ATO.

Crazy to think we had people ready to bench him a month ago.

I like that Loyer is utilizing the 9-15 feet pull up jumper of late. He is deadly @ that distance, perhaps better than layins where he draws contact and is missing. Those short jumpers also get him going for the rest of the game.

I like that Loyer is utilizing the 9-15 feet pull up jumper of late. He is deadly @ that distance, perhaps better than layins where he draws contact and is missing. Those short jumpers also get him going for the rest of the game.
The great thing about when he drives to the hoop is a large percentage of the time that he misses, Zach is there to lay it in.

I also think when he goes to the basket he isn’t looking to draw contact for the refs to bail him out. He looks like he is taking what he is given and getting shots up.

A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while is probably someone's counter.
It does seem CMP is finally taking our advice to mix in a zone occasionally and play Colvin more.

Ok, not a traditional zone, but a version where Z covers the interior.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
It does seem CMP is finally taking our advice to mix in a zone occasionally and play Colvin more.

Ok, not a traditional zone, but a version where Z covers the interior.
Since Trey is gone Matt has played Zach that way some last year and almost every game this year. He played AJ that way against certain teams...clown pants being one. I think it is two folded...to help protect the rim, but mostly to try to keep him out of foul trouble. Last year Matt tried to keep him out of foul trouble by doubling the post and trying to get their 5 man to get rid of the ball so Zach wouldn't get fouls. This year Matt is trying to not get into rotations due to doubling, but still trying to keep Zach out of foul trouble by playing "drop" or one man zone in the lane. Zach is pretty passive until the game is winding down with fewer minutes and then knowing he has some fouls to spare gets more active on D which creates a run for Purdue many times.

Prior to that we keep thinking the drop is killing Purdue. It is consistent in Matt's overall desire to protect the rim and defend behind the arc while knowing how valuable Zach is on offense hopeful he doesn't get in foul trouble. By the same token, we too are happy when Braden shoots a midrange and makes it against the same defense.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Since Trey is gone Matt has played Zach that way some last year and almost every game this year. He played AJ that way against certain teams...clown pants being one. I think it is two folded...to help protect the rim, but mostly to try to keep him out of foul trouble. Last year Matt tried to keep him out of foul trouble by doubling the post and trying to get their 5 man to get rid of the ball so Zach wouldn't get fouls. This year Matt is trying to not get into rotations due to doubling, but still trying to keep Zach out of foul trouble by playing "drop" or one man zone in the lane. Zach is pretty passive until the game is winding down with fewer minutes and then knowing he has some fouls to spare gets more active on D which creates a run for Purdue many times.

Prior to that we keep thinking the drop is killing Purdue. It is consistent in Matt's overall desire to protect the rim and defend behind the arc while knowing how valuable Zach is on offense hopeful he doesn't get in foul trouble. By the same token, we too are happy when Braden shoots a midrange and makes it against the same defense.
Well, we would have told CMP that had he asked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT