ADVERTISEMENT

All Conference awards halfway through

Mgkcbb

Sophomore
Apr 2, 2016
Every team has played at least 10 games(half of their conference schedule)

Lets hear your midseason all conference teams and award winners

B1G Player of the year

Winner
1. Ca$$ius Winston

Runner Ups
2. Ethan Happ
3. Carsen Edwards

B1G Defensive Player of the year

Winner
1. Jon Teske

Runner Ups
2. Zavier Simpson
3. Nojel Eastern

B1G Freshman of the year

Winner
1. Ayo Dosunmu

Runner Ups
2. IGNAS Brazdeikis
3. Trevion Williams

B1G Coach of the year

Co-Winners
1. Matt Painter / Tom Izzo

Runner Ups
3. Greg Gard
4. Fran McCafrey

All Conference 1st Team (positions dont matter to me for these - just 5 best pkayers regardless of position)

Jon Teske
Ethan Happ
Anthony Cowan
Carsen Edwards
Ca$$ius Winston

2nd Team

Luka Garza
BRUNO Fernando
Jordan Murphy
Nick Ward
Ryan Cline

All Defensive Team

Jon Teske
Ethan Happ
Matt Mcquaid
Nojel Eastern
Zavier Simpson

All Freshman Team

Trevion Williams
Jalen Smith
IGNAS Brazdeikis
Joe Wieskamp
Ayo Dosunmu

No way can I put Cassius above Carsen. He is more efficient because he has more weapons around him.

I would go with CMP or JB for coach of the year. Those 2 lost a ton from the previous year but have managed to stay at the top of the conference. Seems for the past 5-6 years CMP is right in the mix for that award. We have a special coach that seems to win regardless of the situation.

B1G Freshman of the year

Winner
1. Ayo Dosunmu

Runner Ups
2. IGNAS Brazdeikis
3. Trevion Williams

All Freshman Team

Trevion Williams
Jalen Smith
IGNAS Brazdeikis
Joe Wieskamp
Ayo Dosunmu

Uh-oh.... something is missing.

NOW you've done it...

g3BFcF.gif

Uh-oh.... something is missing.

NOW you've done it...

g3BFcF.gif
Yeah, it’s fun to poke fun at the Rivals, and he’s struggled lately, but still, overall, you have to put Romeo on the all freshman team.

No way can I put Cassius above Carsen. He is more efficient because he has more weapons around him.

You could have said that in December, not so much now.

Winston is shooting 48% and 45% from 3 on the season - 7% higher than Carsen in each.

While the Boilermakers have improved offensively, Carsen's efficiency has actually gotten worse. Typically, you see a slight drop off from non-conference to conference play as you play better teams. Carsen's has been a dramatic -11%+ drop - WHILE the rest of the team has actually increased. Cassius Winston shot 48% in non-conference play and is 49% in conference play, for comparison.

Non-Conference FG
Carsen: 46%
Rest of team: 47%

Conference FG
Carsen: 35% (-11%)
Rest of team: 48% (+1)

Non-Conference 3PT FG
Carsen: 41%
Rest of team: 35%

Conference 3PT FG
Carsen: 36% (-5%)
Rest of team: 44% (+9%)

If anything, these numbers should be opposite if it's "because of" carrying the team on his back. This just says to me he's taking too many bad/forced shots. It's simply not good for an All-American to be shooting 35% from the field. And he's shown he can do better. It's time for him to step up against good teams - you can't shoot in the 20% range against top 10 teams and expect to win most times. He can't simply dominate bad teams.

P.S. This isn't some knock on Carsen. He's done a tremendous job this season getting his teammates involved and has stepped it up on defense. I know what he's capable of - and it's definitely better than shooting 35%. We can be a pretty lethal team if he's around 45%.

Reactions: 70boiler
I geuinely believe Ca$$ius Winston is firther ahead of whoever you put at#2 for B1G PoTY than whoever #2 is ahead of #5. Hes just ballin.

Ethan Happ has been pretty damn elite (per the usual) as well though. Happ could lead Wisconsin to like 5 straight victories and put himself into position.

Remember, Zavier Simpson always makes Ca$$ius look awful and they play two times yet.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Winston is shooting 48% and 45% from 3 on the season - 7% higher than Carsen in each.

While the Boilermakers have improved offensively, Carsen's efficiency has actually gotten worse. Typically, you see a slight drop off from non-conference to conference play as you play better teams. Carsen's has been a dramatic -11%+ drop - WHILE the rest of the team has actually increased. Cassius Winston shot 48% in non-conference play and is 49% in conference play, for comparison.

Non-Conference FG

Conference FG

Non-Conference 3PT FG

Conference 3PT FG

If anything, these numbers should be opposite if it's "because of" carrying the team on his back. This just says to me he's taking too many bad/forced shots. It's simply not good for an All-American to be shooting 35% from the field. And he's shown he can do better. It's time for him to step up against good teams - you can't shoot in the 20% range against top 10 teams and expect to win most times. He can't simply dominate bad teams.

P.S. This isn't some knock on Carsen. He's done a tremendous job this season getting his teammates involved and has stepped it up on defense. I know what he's capable of - and it's definitely better than shooting 35%. We can be a pretty lethal team if he's around 45%.
You could also say he is our only one on one shot maker as well. CE has more on his plate than any first team player IMO. Take players out of their respective team and look at it. Purdue is most likely a bottom tiered team.

If we are being fully honest here, I actually think Ca$$ius Winston has been the national player of the year even pver ZION if the season ended today. Hes been that damn good for MSU and that valuable.

You could also say he is our only one on one shot maker as well. CE has more on his plate than any first team player IMO. Take players out of their respective team and look at it. Purdue is most likely a bottom tiered team.
As well as Happ...my bad!

Reactions: cinboiler

Non-Conference FG

Conference FG

Non-Conference 3PT FG

Conference 3PT FG

Winston has been outstanding. I’m not disputing that.

But, I don’t think that you can appreciate Purdue’s #2 KenPom efficiency rating without appreciating how much defensive attention Carsen draws. If are you watching opposing defenses, all 5 defenders often appear to be reacting to him at all times. I don’t mind if he is a little less efficient, because his presence on the court makes it a lot easier for everyone else.

Last edited:

B1G Player of the year

Winner
1. Ca$$ius Winston

Runner Ups
2. Ethan Happ
3. Carsen Edwards

Winner
1. Jon Teske

Runner Ups
2. Zavier Simpson
3. Nojel Eastern

B1G Freshman of the year

Winner
1. Ayo Dosunmu

Runner Ups
2. IGNAS Brazdeikis
3. Trevion Williams

B1G Coach of the year

Co-Winners

Runner Ups
3. Greg Gard
4. Fran McCafrey

All Conference 1st Team (positions dont matter to me for these - just 5 best pkayers regardless of position)

Jon Teske
Ethan Happ
Anthony Cowan
Carsen Edwards
Ca$$ius Winston

2nd Team

Luka Garza
BRUNO Fernando
Jordan Murphy
Nick Ward
Ryan Cline

All Defensive Team

Jon Teske
Ethan Happ
Matt Mcquaid
Nojel Eastern
Zavier Simpson

All Freshman Team

Trevion Williams
Jalen Smith
IGNAS Brazdeikis
Joe Wieskamp
Ayo Dosunmu

Nice list. Teske is good, but I personally wouldn't have him on any All B1G teams. I see why you value him so much though. He'd be my B1G glue guy of the year if there was an award for that. I also would have Langford on All-Frosh team, but he definitely isn't the best Freshman.

Kudos to being spot on with IU and Langford being overrated all year. After not backing down from NCTrojan and Cheese in the pre-season, your Cheerios must be tasting a little sweeter these days.

B1G Player of the year

Winner
1. Ca$$ius Winston

Runner Ups
2. Ethan Happ
3. Carsen Edwards

Winner
1. Jon Teske

Runner Ups
2. Zavier Simpson
3. Nojel Eastern

B1G Freshman of the year

Winner
1. Ayo Dosunmu

Runner Ups
2. IGNAS Brazdeikis
3. Trevion Williams

B1G Coach of the year

Co-Winners

Runner Ups
3. Greg Gard
4. Fran McCafrey

Jon Teske
Ethan Happ
Anthony Cowan
Carsen Edwards
Ca$$ius Winston

2nd Team

Luka Garza
BRUNO Fernando
Jordan Murphy
Nick Ward
Ryan Cline

All Defensive Team

Jon Teske
Ethan Happ
Matt Mcquaid
Nojel Eastern
Zavier Simpson

All Freshman Team

Trevion Williams
Jalen Smith
IGNAS Brazdeikis
Joe Wieskamp
Ayo Dosunmu
I love that you have Cline as second team all B1G. I predicted that back in the summer and although I doubt he gets it, although earned imo, I appreciate the support.

I would think there's no way Romeo is not on the Freshman 1st team. Maybe he hasn't deserved it but he will be on it. And I think he's FOY too. Same follow-up statement. It's just going to be the way it is.

Nice list. Teske is good, but I personally wouldn't have him on any All B1G teams. I see why you value him so much though. He'd be my B1G glue guy of the year if there was an award for that. I also would have Langford on All-Frosh team, but he definitely isn't the best Freshman.

Kudos to being spot on with IU and Langford being overrated all year. After not backing down from NCTrojan and Cheese in the pre-season, your Cheerios must be tasting a little sweeter these days.

I completely nailed Romeo not having a jump shot. I put in the work to prove it preseason and none of the iu troll scrubs have come back to ackowledge me (typical).

-Archie Miller is a terrible coach
-Romeo Langgord has a broken jump shot
- Rob Phinissee's ceiling is a poor mans PJ Thompson.

Ive been proven right over and over and the trolls have left the board altogether.

Reactions: Roeder
IU fan base: Romeo, oh Romeo. Where art thou Romeo.
Romeo: Out looking for some 5'11" HS defenders to rebuild my confidence on.

Reactions: Schnelk
I completely nailed Romeo not having a jump shot. I put in the work to prove it preseason and none of the iu troll scrubs have come back to ackowledge me (typical).

Ive been proven right over and over and the trolls have left the board altogether.
That was you, I recall that back and forth with those guys and was trying to remember which poster was the Nostradamus about Romeo’s shooting.

That was you, I recall that back and forth with those guys and was trying to remember which poster was the Nostradamus about Romeo’s shooting.

I believe that a review of my posts would demonstrate that I declared that Romeo would suffer with bad 3 pt shooting. I thought that he would regress from his HS percentageof 35% down to the 28-30 range. Turns out my prediction was too high. I also disputed the "sure thing" Top5 dratt choice declaration.

Of course, I was called an ass and .a fool by NC_Trojan and never having played basketball by BayAreaBoiler. I think it fair to say that I am looking to be correct.

You were right about Romeo's jump shot, but wrong about him overall. He's easily one of the top 5 freshmen in the conference, and likely the FOY. Either him or Iggy.

Phinisee is already a poor man's PJ Thompson (Senior Year PJ). RP is the least of my worries moving forward.

Dont forget to list your Illinois is better than MSU take.

Or your McQuaid is a terrible defender take.

You were right about Romeo's jump shot, but wrong about him overall. He's easily one of the top 5 freshmen in the conference, and likely the FOY. Either him or Iggy.

Phinisee is already a poor man's PJ Thompson (Senior Year PJ). RP is the least of my worries moving forward.

If history holds true, under Archie, Phinisee will get worse as time goes by. BTW, he averages double the turnovers PJ ever did.

Reactions: Purdue85

Huge difference between what PJ and RP had to do for their teams. RP has been leaned on to score and PJ was to facilitate the offense. PJ was a better and smarter shooter his Sr. Year. PJ was always surrounded by scorers and never needed for him to score in bunches. RP needs to score for IU to even have a chance to win games.

Last edited:
If history holds true, under Archie, Phinisee will get worse as time goes by. BTW, he averages double the turnovers PJ ever did.
History holds true?

RP as a freshman also averages 1 more assist than PJ did as a senior...

I dont know that RP will ever become as good of a shooter though.

Huge difference between what PJ and RP had to do for their teams. RP has been leaned on to score and PJ was to facilitate the offense. PJ was a better and smarter shooter his Sr. Year. PJ was always surrounded by scorers and never needed for him to score in bunches. RP needs to score for IU to even have a chance to win games.
Did I say there wasnt a big difference in what they were asked to do? My point was that RP as a freshman is not too far away from where PJ was as a senior. Certainly better than where PJ was as a freshman.

He might not get better, but I think he will.

Did I say there wasnt a big difference in what they were asked to do? My point was that RP as a freshman is not too far away from where PJ was as a senior. Certainly better than where PJ was as a freshman.

I think RP is really good and gonna be really good. He handles the ball better than I thought he can knock down open shots good passing skills that you need from your PG. more athletic than I thought I’m impressed with what I’ve seen so far. I just don’t think the offense they run truly shows his whole game. He plays under control defends well for his size he gonna be good get him some shooters around him he will be fun to watch.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I believe that a review of my posts would demonstrate that I declared that Romeo would suffer with bad 3 pt shooting. I thought that he would regress from his HS percentageof 35% down to the 28-30 range. Turns out my prediction was too high. I also disputed the "sure thing" Top5 dratt choice declaration.

Of course, I was called an ass and .a fool by NC_Trojan and never having played basketball by BayAreaBoiler. I think it fair to say that I am looking to be correct.
Ok, participation ribbons all around, we all said Romeo would struggle from 3o_O

Reactions: Schnelk

Statistically sure but once again you are comparing the 2 correct? You wouldn't expect PJ to be the focus on offense when surrounded by 5-6 true scorers. You can't compare the 2 because they were totally asked to do different things. Man, you should know this Mr. Basketball!

Just like NE, we know he isn't our main focus on offense but he is our defensive stopper. He doesn't have to score 20pg to be All-B1G or an NBA player.

Winston has been outstanding. I’m not disputing that.

But, I don’t think that you can appreciate Purdue’s #2 KenPom efficiency rating without appreciating how much defensive attention Carsen draws. If are you watching opposing defenses, all 5 defenders often appear to be reacting to him at all times. I don’t mind if he is a little less efficient, because his presence on the court makes it a lot easier for everyone else.

There's no denying that.

However, Carsen is still making at least 3-4, often times more, VERY obviously bad decisions a game. Has nothing to do with anything except his own decision making.

Trim that down and he's above 40%.

That's on him - not his teammates, not the defense, etc. - just his own decision making. That's all I'm talking about. People were all over Trae Young last year...that's what Carsen's been playing like, but suddenly we can't do anything about it and it's ok!

Statistically sure but once again you are comparing the 2 correct? You wouldn't expect PJ to be the focus on offense when surrounded by 5-6 true scorers. You can't compare the 2 because they were totally asked to do different things. Man, you should know this Mr. Basketball!
RP is no where close to being the focus of our offense. Also, I didn't start the comparison, @Mgkcbb did. Take it up with him if you dont think they are comparable.

Just like NE, we know he isn't our main focus on offense but he is our defensive stopper. He doesn't have to score 20pg to be All-B1G or an NBA player.
PJ and Nojel are almost exactly opposite basketball players. You shouldn't compare the two, because they were asked to do two totally different things. You should know that.

RP is no where close to being the focus of our offense. Also, I didn't start the comparison, @Mgkcbb did. Take it up with him if you dont think they are comparable.
To be honest,I didn't see his whole post. Those 2 should never be compared IMO. RP needs to score for IU because they are limited offensively. PJ never had to do that for us. Just like NE, he doesn't need to score because our system allows other players to score. I don't get how CAM runs his offensive system. I would say his D will be fine but I might want to get an offensive minded coach to help out with that.

PJ and Nojel are almost exactly opposite basketball players. You shouldn't compare the two, because they were asked to do two totally different things. You should know that.
Lol. Good one. This is an example of why stats don't reflect the player.

They aren't as far apart as you may think because they are both facilitator's. There isn't a need for them to score.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT