ADVERTISEMENT

Perry, Harris, and Forsythe class of 2024

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
All are combo guards Purdue is recruiting for the 2024 class. All have won their conference championships. With Benter and Catchings already in the class both wings and combo guards both won their conference championships as well. With Edey, Morton, Gillis, and Newman set to exit in 2024. Purdue could take two of the three. But with Flory Bidunga on the table, should they? While this is a good problem to have it gets even more complicated when you factor in 2025 one and done Jalen Haralson. I was recently asked which one I would take. To answer that question, we have to look at what we will have. Loyer, Smith, Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and Benter. Six players for 3 spots. IMO Painter will add just one of them. Colvin will find playing time in 2023 he reclassified up a year. He is a big strong 6'6 wing with more physical abilities than anyone on the team. Colvin will be here 2 years only. Catchings is a one and done talent at 6'8 he is the best option to back up Smith and Furst as well as both wings. He will be on the floor at all times. Jack the backboard slayer is the toughest of them all or at least tied with Colvin. He can play either wing spot I would say 1, 2, and 3 but Catchings is the better option at PG. And we all know some of what Smith and Loyer bring to the table. So, which one would I take? Perry scored 61 points against an inferior team last week. Dayton Forsythe scored 45 points with 12 boards and 11 assists against a school twice their size. Harris won his conference championship scoring 41 points vs the second ranked team in Georgia. Harris is a big strong guard who loves to play defense his game is physical and translates well in the B10. Perry is a scorer not sure his body is B10 ready, but he can score in so many ways. Forsythe is a Braden Smith clone he has a warrior mentally and is simply a winner the best passer of the 3 he makes everyone better a pass first PG who averages 25 per. I would take the first one to commit. If that isn't Forsythe, then I would hope he doesn't go to Nebraska. Jaden Ivey and Carsen Edwards have put Purdue near the top of any combo guards list. Just to complicate thing I am hearing Markus Burton a Notre Dame signee is in play. He will likely win MR. BB edging out Xavier Booker. Even with Brey leaving I am not sure he would pick Purdue a 5'10 point guard competing with Smith?

When I think about the 2024 season, I can't even come up with a starting five. Smith, Loyer, Furst, Colvin seem to be locks. With Kaufman-Renn and Berg sharing time at the 5. But then you leave out Catching whom I believe is one of best players Painter has ever landed. Good problems to have maybe?

When I think about the 2024 season, I can't even come up with a starting five. Smith, Loyer, Furst, Colvin seem to be locks. With Kaufman-Renn and Berg sharing time at the 5. But then you leave out Catching whom I believe is one of best players Painter has ever landed. Good problems to have maybe?
Good writeup on the guard recruits! For 2024, you seem to be assuming Zach leaves.... it'll be even crazier if he stays!

All are combo guards Purdue is recruiting for the 2024 class. All have won their conference championships. With Benter and Catchings already in the class both wings and combo guards both won their conference championships as well. With Edey, Morton, Gillis, and Newman set to exit in 2024. Purdue could take two of the three. But with Flory Bidunga on the table, should they? While this is a good problem to have it gets even more complicated when you factor in 2025 one and done Jalen Haralson. I was recently asked which one I would take. To answer that question, we have to look at what we will have. Loyer, Smith, Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and Benter. Six players for 3 spots. IMO Painter will add just one of them. Colvin will find playing time in 2023 he reclassified up a year. He is a big strong 6'6 wing with more physical abilities than anyone on the team. Colvin will be here 2 years only. Catchings is a one and done talent at 6'8 he is the best option to back up Smith and Furst as well as both wings. He will be on the floor at all times. Jack the backboard slayer is the toughest of them all or at least tied with Colvin. He can play either wing spot I would say 1, 2, and 3 but Catchings is the better option at PG. And we all know some of what Smith and Loyer bring to the table. So, which one would I take? Perry scored 61 points against an inferior team last week. Dayton Forsythe scored 45 points with 12 boards and 11 assists against a school twice their size. Harris won his conference championship scoring 41 points vs the second ranked team in Georgia. Harris is a big strong guard who loves to play defense his game is physical and translates well in the B10. Perry is a scorer not sure his body is B10 ready, but he can score in so many ways. Forsythe is a Braden Smith clone he has a warrior mentally and is simply a winner the best passer of the 3 he makes everyone better a pass first PG who averages 25 per. I would take the first one to commit. If that isn't Forsythe, then I would hope he doesn't go to Nebraska. Jaden Ivey and Carsen Edwards have put Purdue near the top of any combo guards list. Just to complicate thing I am hearing Markus Burton a Notre Dame signee is in play. He will likely win MR. BB edging out Xavier Booker. Even with Brey leaving I am not sure he would pick Purdue a 5'10 point guard competing with Smith?

Any of the combo guards athletic?

Good stuff oldboiler! Looks and sounds like Painter will have a good problem on his hands in the future.
If X Booker wins Mr Basketball the system is broken. Not trying to trash the kid but the dude is sooo overrated for the stats he puts up. He was nominated a McDonald’s all American based off his physical looks and rankings because his senior stats aren’t impressive. Be interesting to see what the Burton kid does with Brey leaving but ND is home for him.

Last edited:

I liked the early reports on Harris. A guy that excells on both sides of the ball. Haven't heard his name in awhile so I appreciate you bringing him back up. Good to know he's still on the table. Sounds like a win-win-win situation however it ends up.

Who is Forsythe don't think I've seen his name mentioned at all.What can you tell us about him? TIA 52

My guess is The Big Maple 🍁 is back to take the team to the championship.

Catching is not and never will be a point guard. Best bet is Harris and Burgess if Gi ari leaves SEC land. If nor probably Burgess and Perry.

Who is Forsythe don't think I've seen his name mentioned at all.What can you tell us about him? TIA 52
Dayton Forsythe is from Dale Oklahoma 6'2 combo guard he is a coach's kid super tough. Pual Lusk has been recruiting him for a while. He has offers from OK and OK state as well as Nebraska to name a few. Kid makes these insane passes. He sees the whole court at full speed. He and his family came to Purdue a few weeks ago on an unofficial. His dad Josh has some really good photos of his visit to Purdue on Facebook. There are a few complete games online and a handful of highlight clips.

Catching is not and never will be a point guard. Best bet is Harris and Burgess if Gi ari leaves SEC land. If nor probably Burgess and Perry.
Raliegh Burgess is a 6'11 center. Your right Catchings is not a point guard, but he is the best passer and ball handler of those who have committed IMO. We just need a few minutes per game to rest Smith. All three I listed can play the PG and do hence combo.

Add 7'2" Berg playing 4 dropping 3's and Colvin, Heide other teams got a serious problem....wowser, with Edey. Smith and Loyer, 🤪🤣 Can anybody tell me how you defend a 7'2" 3 pt shooter , with arms up releasing the ball he's gotta be at 10ft even a 6 inch jump off the floor. Outside of kicking him in the nuts , which the BT will probably greenlight.

Last edited:
Dayton Forsythe is from Dale Oklahoma 6'2 combo guard he is a coach's kid super tough. Pual Lusk has been recruiting him for a while. He has offers from OK and OK state as well as Nebraska to name a few. Kid makes these insane passes. He sees the whole court at full speed. He and his family came to Purdue a few weeks ago on an unofficial. His dad Josh has some really good photos of his visit to Purdue on Facebook. There are a few complete games online and a handful of highlight clips.
Thanks

Add 7'2" Berg playing 4 dropping 3's and Colvin, Heide other teams got a serious problem....wowser, with Edey. Smith and Loyer, 🤪🤣 Can anybody tell me how you defend a 7'2" 3 pt shooter , with arms up releasing the ball he's gotta be at 10ft even a 6 inch jump off the floor. Outside of kicking him in the nuts , which the BT will probably greenlight.
Well if he is playing in the Big Ten just foul the Hell out of him the refs won't call it.

I'm sorry but it's time to get rid of the Morton type of players. We need every player on the floor to be able to score.
Surely you don’t mean the same Morton that leads our third ranked team in blocks, assists, and steals?

(See correction of my post below. I misread the stats. Morton is second in those categories. Still impressive.)

Last edited:
Well, that's quite a post. Morton leads in none of those three categories. Smith leads in assists and steals and Edey leads in blocks.
I just looked at the stats. Well shit! The leader is in light gold boxes with white lettering. I looked right past this. My bad. The numbers verify what I posted, but Morton is SECOND in assists, steals, and blocks. That’s still pretty good.

In your script I see no noticeable mention of Camden Heide. He will be a very high level competitor for playing time. The kid has gotten stronger, can really perimeter shoot, a highlight dunker (reported numerous times). Not sure of his finishing around the goal, current status of his handles or defense.

I just looked at the stats. Well shit! The leader is in light gold boxes with white lettering. I looked right past this. My bad. The numbers verify what I posted, but Morton is SECOND in assists, steals, and blocks. That’s still pretty good.
I love Morton, but not many of his types win in March.

• Haha
Reactions: mathboy
It would be if I had said that. I said he was a one and done talent not the same thing. He needs to fill out and become more selfish. I do believe he has all the skills still two years away for the body to catchup.
Hoping he grows another 2~3 inches and be filled up.
That would surely be a second coming of the athletic GR at Purdue,
with GR's son Harris in the roster at the same time!

Boiler Up!!

I remember Robinson looking pretty thin in the state championships in high school (though he certainly played with power). By with time he played at Purdue as a sophomore, he was much thicker.
IIRC, he was 210 or 220 out of high school.

I remember Robinson looking pretty thin in the state championships in high school (though he certainly played with power). By with time he played at Purdue as a sophomore, he was much thicker.

Saw him play in the Lafayette Semi-State @ Mackey Arena - he definitely added some bulk during his freshman year (ineligible) @ Purdue, as well as adding a lot of consistency to his mid-range game over his three years.

Reactions: Schnelk
Saw him play in the Lafayette Semi-State @ Mackey Arena - he definitely added some bulk during his freshman year (ineligible) @ Purdue, as well as adding a lot of consistency to his mid-range game over his three years.
He looked pretty strong his freshman year playing intramurals for his dorm team.

I'm sorry but it's time to get rid of the Morton type of players. We need every player on the floor to be able to score.

Disagree.
And I am a big Newman fan. But imo different guys bring different things to the table. CMP finds roles for all kinds of skills.

I can agree players should be able to score which Morton has done many times when left open, and if not CMP takes him out when he is hurting the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT