ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland v. Purdue Game Thread

Cheers to 19-1 !!

200w.gif

Here's the thing - we shot like crap and also turned the ball over but they played hard, just poorly in the 2nd half

Will also add that the terps play good defense but are also prob the floppiest team we've played against this year. A couple of those were just goofy

Will need to tighten things up to be ready for Michigan in terms of TO's. They match up with Purdue really well. Be very curious to see how the Edey v. Dickenson matchup plays out.

The recipe to beat Purdue was just exposed (full court press totally disrupts our offense...leaves us with too little time to feed Edey effectively).

It wouldn't work if we had shooters actually hit shots but so far this year we have proven more games than not, that they are struggling.

Gonna be a slugfest if we keep shooting less than 35% from 3pt.

That is the kind of team we don't want to face in the tournament. That was like Arkansas under Nolan Richardson. 40 minutes of hell. Braden needs to be better with the ball.

The recipe to beat Purdue was just exposed.

It wouldn't work if we had shooters actually hit shots but so far this year we have proven more games than not, that they are struggling.

Gonna be a slugfest if we keep shooting less than 35% from 3pt.

On the other hand, if you had told me Purdue would shoot 2-13 from deep with 15 turnovers and Reese gets 19......I would have said Boilers take an L. Sometimes, you need these games IF you can survive. Painter has plenty of film to teach after that one....compete better for the whole game.

That is the kind of team we don't want to face in the tournament. That was like Arkansas under Nolan Richardson. 40 minutes of hell. Braden needs to be better with the ball.
I thought we were better pushing tempo. Our half court was terrible when we feebly beat the press.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
Will need to tighten things up to be ready for Michigan in terms of TO's. They match up with Purdue really well. Be very curious to see how the Edey v. Dickenson matchup plays out.
I don't think Michigan plays anywhere near that kind of style, predominantly because they have Dick.

Well. we did play better than Kansas. We have some ups and downs, but the amplitude of our ups and downs has been smaller than the rest of the big 10. We have been mildly inconsistent while the rest of the league has been wildly inconsistent.

He took more shots against Minnesota - agree that he made some poor decisions today. BIG FT's down the stretch though!

Jenks played some solid defense today as well.

I had a gf back in the 90s who’s grandmother quit watching Purdue basketball said her heart couldn’t take it anymore. “I’ll read about it in the paper tomorrow”. She said. Every morning after a Purdue game she’d be sitting at the door at the crack of dawn waiting for her paperboy.

Not a good second half by Purdue. Extremely poor officiating. Games called like this one is why the Big 10 struggles in the NCAA tourney.
Today’s reffing was the first in the last 4 that wasn’t very good, reffed fairly but wasn’t reffed well. Had no bearing on Purdue’s performance though, they played a lousy second half, that’s on them, not the officials.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
On the other hand, if you had told me Purdue would shoot 2-13 from deep with 15 turnovers and Reese gets 19......I would have said Boilers take an L. Sometimes, you need these games IF you can survive. Painter has plenty of film to teach after that one....compete better for the whole game.
Sure.

I am thinking more of tourney time.

We were lucky Maryland shot worse than us. I don't suspect that is a workable strategy against tourney teams.

Plenty to learn from this game, for sure.

Glad we got a win. Of course. I just hope the 3 pt shooting starts to hit but I am getting really nervous that it is here to stay.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Purdue poor play along with the refs and poor shooting have made Maryland and Rutgers look better than they are imo. They have to shoot better

Purdue at home struggles to hit shots, its so strange.
I don't think today was about shooting woes. It was about the game being played at the wrong pace, and just about everything in terms of layups rimming out and loose balls went Maryland's way. Zach had a good game but if it wasn't a dunk he pretty much missed it. It seemed like he was off on all of his jump hooks.

Good afternoon, ladies and gentleman. Today, the Maryland Terrapins (12-6; 3-4) visit Mackey Arena to take on the #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (18-1; 7-1). Tip is set for approximately 1:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX Sports 1. This is the first of two games this conference season between the two schools. Purdue will play at Maryland next month. The Boilers are coming off a 61-39 win at Minnesota on TH, while Maryland had a solid home win over Michigan 64-58, also on TH.

Expected Starting Line-ups:

Maryland - Julian Reese, Donta Scott, Jahmir Young, Hakim Hart, and Donald Carey

Purdue - Caleb Furst, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

This is another really good test for the Boilers, who have spent the early part of the week on the road. Maryland has some good, skilled, and athletic players, and they can cause a lot of Problems for the Purdue offense, especially the back-court. It will be interesting to see how they defend Zach Edey. Will they take a page out of Michigan State's playbook and try single coverage, or will it be more like Nebraska and surround him? I think it will be a mixture of coverages, depending upon any foul issues. Regardless, Purdue will need to execute and avoid the turnovers. Although Maryland's average turnover rate may not be high, they have the ability to convert in transition. Purdue needs Braden Smith to continue to be active, run the offense, and avoid any foul trouble. Fletcher Loyer had a tough first half against Minnesota.....a good start from him would really help Purdue.

Jahmir Young is probably Maryland’s best player. He leads the Terrapins with 15.8 points and 2.8 assists per game, and he has been fairly consistent all year. Purdue's defense will need to deal with him and control the defensive glass. Maryland's outside shooting has been a little inconsistent, but they are capable. They went 3-15 against Michigan, but I don't expect them to shoot that poorly today.

Boiling it down - it's a lot of the same keys for Purdue - work to Zach Edey to establish the paint presence and open up opportunities from the outside. Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer will also need to look for driving opportunities. Limit the empty possessions and Maryland second chance opportunities - if Purdue does that, they will be in really good shape.

Purdue has a two-game lead in the conference standings, and these are the games really good team have to execute and put away. It won't be easy, and Maryland is more than capable. Can the Boilers keep things rolling heading into a game @ Michigan next week? We shall see starting in less than an hour.

Boiler Up, my friends.

i
i
Just now got reception at cheddars. Could tell Braden was tired early and probably due to him getting back late after they retired his jersey last night

I don't think today was about shooting woes. It was about the game being played at the wrong pace, and just about everything in terms of layups rimming out and loose balls went Maryland's way. Zach had a good game but if it wasn't a dunk he pretty much missed it. It seemed like he was off on all of his jump hooks.
It was an ugly game, we’ll take it though.

Even a couple of dunk attempts weren't clean either. I like when he goes to that bank shot......also, Maryland was crowding him a little at times it seemed.

Just now got reception at cheddars. Could tell Braden was tired early and probably due to him getting back late after they retired his jersey last night
Watching him at the foul line, even in the 1st half, I said that we will hear afterwards that he has the flu. He looked ill and could not catch his breath.

• Sad
Reactions: tjreese and drewjin
Looking ahead, Purdue will have to play 4 games in 10 days in the first 2 rounds of the NCAA tournament. This was a good practice! The lone difference is the 4 games in the tourney will all be against worthy opponents without a breather like playing Minnesota. If they had issues playing these last 4 games, they will also have issues in the Big 10 tournament followed by the first weekend in the tourney. If they make the big 10 championship game and then play in 2 games in the tourney wouldn’t that be 4 games in 8 days?

Reactions: drewjin
Had no bearing.

Would disagree, slightly. The poor refing, allowed MD to foul and harass ball handlers more than what is legal, which caused SOME of those TOs. Additionally, poor refing the post stopped Edey from scoring as much as he could have. I would say both combined were likely 6+ pts. That makes it a game not close @ the end.

However, you are correct in that most TOs were due to poor play by Boilers. This was indeed the main problem.

ADVERTISEMENT