ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland v. Purdue Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good afternoon, ladies and gentleman. Today, the Maryland Terrapins (12-6; 3-4) visit Mackey Arena to take on the #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (18-1; 7-1). Tip is set for approximately 1:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX Sports 1. This is the first of two games this conference season between the two schools. Purdue will play at Maryland next month. The Boilers are coming off a 61-39 win at Minnesota on TH, while Maryland had a solid home win over Michigan 64-58, also on TH.

Expected Starting Line-ups:

Maryland - Julian Reese, Donta Scott, Jahmir Young, Hakim Hart, and Donald Carey

Purdue - Caleb Furst, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

This is another really good test for the Boilers, who have spent the early part of the week on the road. Maryland has some good, skilled, and athletic players, and they can cause a lot of Problems for the Purdue offense, especially the back-court. It will be interesting to see how they defend Zach Edey. Will they take a page out of Michigan State's playbook and try single coverage, or will it be more like Nebraska and surround him? I think it will be a mixture of coverages, depending upon any foul issues. Regardless, Purdue will need to execute and avoid the turnovers. Although Maryland's average turnover rate may not be high, they have the ability to convert in transition. Purdue needs Braden Smith to continue to be active, run the offense, and avoid any foul trouble. Fletcher Loyer had a tough first half against Minnesota.....a good start from him would really help Purdue.

Jahmir Young is probably Maryland’s best player. He leads the Terrapins with 15.8 points and 2.8 assists per game, and he has been fairly consistent all year. Purdue's defense will need to deal with him and control the defensive glass. Maryland's outside shooting has been a little inconsistent, but they are capable. They went 3-15 against Michigan, but I don't expect them to shoot that poorly today.

Boiling it down - it's a lot of the same keys for Purdue - work to Zach Edey to establish the paint presence and open up opportunities from the outside. Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer will also need to look for driving opportunities. Limit the empty possessions and Maryland second chance opportunities - if Purdue does that, they will be in really good shape.

Purdue has a two-game lead in the conference standings, and these are the games really good team have to execute and put away. It won't be easy, and Maryland is more than capable. Can the Boilers keep things rolling heading into a game @ Michigan next week? We shall see starting in less than an hour.

Boiler Up, my friends.

i
i

Willard will probably wear a suit and tie. That is something not usually seen post Covid. He had physical teams at Seton Hall. It will be interesting to see how he plays Edey. They are similar to Penn St without a true center. Young scares me. I hope Smith doesn’t get in foul trouble. We might need a big game from Jenkins.

Maryland seems to be a bit Jekyll and Hyde this year. Hopefully we come out with guns blazing and bury them early. Can't let Donta Scott get going against us...again.

Here we go. Big challenge fr
Good afternoon, ladies and gentleman. Today, the Maryland Terrapins (12-6; 3-4) visit Mackey Arena to take on the #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (18-1; 7-1). Tip is set for approximately 1:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX Sports 1. This is the first of two games this conference season between the two schools. Purdue will play at Maryland next month. The Boilers are coming off a 61-39 win at Minnesota on TH, while Maryland had a solid home win over Michigan 64-58, also on TH.

Expected Starting Line-ups:

Maryland - Julian Reese, Donta Scott, Jahmir Young, Hakim Hart, and Donald Carey

Purdue - Caleb Furst, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

This is another really good test for the Boilers, who have spent the early part of the week on the road. Maryland has some good, skilled, and athletic players, and they can cause a lot of Problems for the Purdue offense, especially the back-court. It will be interesting to see how they defend Zach Edey. Will they take a page out of Michigan State's playbook and try single coverage, or will it be more like Nebraska and surround him? I think it will be a mixture of coverages, depending upon any foul issues. Regardless, Purdue will need to execute and avoid the turnovers. Although Maryland's average turnover rate may not be high, they have the ability to convert in transition. Purdue needs Braden Smith to continue to be active, run the offense, and avoid any foul trouble. Fletcher Loyer had a tough first half against Minnesota.....a good start from him would really help Purdue.

Jahmir Young is probably Maryland’s best player. He leads the Terrapins with 15.8 points and 2.8 assists per game, and he has been fairly consistent all year. Purdue's defense will need to deal with him and control the defensive glass. Maryland's outside shooting has been a little inconsistent, but they are capable. They went 3-15 against Michigan, but I don't expect them to shoot that poorly today.

Boiling it down - it's a lot of the same keys for Purdue - work to Zach Edey to establish the paint presence and open up opportunities from the outside. Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer will also need to look for driving opportunities. Limit the empty possessions and Maryland second chance opportunities - if Purdue does that, they will be in really good shape.

Purdue has a two-game lead in the conference standings, and these are the games really good team have to execute and put away. It won't be easy, and Maryland is more than capable. Can the Boilers keep things rolling heading into a game @ Michigan next week? We shall see starting in less than an hour.

Boiler Up, my friends.

i
i
or

I don't understand the generic nba scouting report that Zach doesn't have the quickness for the next level. He has exceptional speed and footwork for someone of his stature.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT