ADVERTISEMENT

Why Furst will start

Schmedly_Whiplash

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2022
He's significantly stronger than the freshmen and Berg (at least through last season). He's also an all around better player than we've seen so far. I expect him to be one of the long line of Boilers that were ok most of their career and then had a big break out senior season. Quick shot of him finishing in traffic with his right hand brough a smile to my face. He has a really pretty hook shot that he's never really been able to show.
Then there's defense and he's been one of our best big defenders since he got here. It'd be great if one of the new guys showed too much and displaced him, but I don't see that happening as the team should be so strong across the board that it'll be hard for someone new to showcase themselves. (sorry KC)
Offensively, he might be as critical as some of the shooters because he's big enough and sets effective enough screens to actually get people open.
Zach and Mason were 2 of the best (big, tough and do it well enough) pick setters we've had through here in awhile. Braden and Fletch are going to miss them BIG time. TKR's been pretty bad most of the time and so that leaves the frosh and Berg, who didn't look great last year, but is big enough to be a factor if he 'gets it'.
I hope "the kids" are able to contribute and force their was into the rotation. That makes the whole team better come NCAA's.
But for now. Furst/TKR/Heide-Colvin/Smith/Loyer has a lot of BIG TIME experience (and success) and it's going to be hard to dislodge them from starting.
I think. ;)

Reactions: Roeder
I hope you are right, but at this point, I think the odds he gets passed up by at least one freshman and/or Berg are higher than the odds he breaks out as a senior.
Yeah I think he starts because he is an upperclassmen, but he could lose that spot as the season goes on.

Also some focus on the whole "starting" thing but anymore that is kind of irrelevant to me as someone that doesn't start can play starters minutes off of the bench.

He's significantly stronger than the freshmen and Berg (at least through last season). He's also an all around better player than we've seen so far. I expect him to be one of the long line of Boilers that were ok most of their career and then had a big break out senior season. Quick shot of him finishing in traffic with his right hand brough a smile to my face. He has a really pretty hook shot that he's never really been able to show.
Then there's defense and he's been one of our best big defenders since he got here. It'd be great if one of the new guys showed too much and displaced him, but I don't see that happening as the team should be so strong across the board that it'll be hard for someone new to showcase themselves. (sorry KC)
Offensively, he might be as critical as some of the shooters because he's big enough and sets effective enough screens to actually get people open.
Zach and Mason were 2 of the best (big, tough and do it well enough) pick setters we've had through here in awhile. Braden and Fletch are going to miss them BIG time. TKR's been pretty bad most of the time and so that leaves the frosh and Berg, who didn't look great last year, but is big enough to be a factor if he 'gets it'.
I hope "the kids" are able to contribute and force their was into the rotation. That makes the whole team better come NCAA's.
But for now. Furst/TKR/Heide-Colvin/Smith/Loyer has a lot of BIG TIME experience (and success) and it's going to be hard to dislodge them from starting.
I think. ;)

Other than Braden & TKR, our 2 likely all B10 guys, does it matter who starts?

This team might play 10? To start the year he might start? But we will see by years end.....

Last edited:
I hope you are right too. He's still a very talented player. This is a Mr Basketball, top 50 kid, who played on a USA U18 team.

The emergence of Edey, with Gillis also being the best compliment to Zach just crushed his chances of PT.

In a world where guys are quick to flee in the face of adversity, I really respect him sticking it out.

I think people, nationally and in the Purdue community, are sleeping on the kind of year Caleb could have. I think he will split minutes at the 4 with Heide and have a nice Sr year.

Other than Braden & TKR, our 2 likely all B10 guys, does it matter who starts?

This team might play 10? To start the year he might start? But we will see by years end.....
Yep. The past 3 seasons, Painter platooned the top 10 players to start the season and let the results decide who started and who got the most playing time. Then the lineups evolved as the season progressed and players develop.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I think people, nationally and in the Purdue community, are sleeping on the kind of year Caleb could have. I think he will split minutes at the 4 with Heide and have a nice Sr year.

I have to admit, I am one that is sound asleep on him. But now that it has been mentioned, maybe this is his year? After all, like others have said, top 70 & Mr. BB.

Great kid, outstanding character, smart. But I just assumed he would get passed up? Because CMP has recruited so well.

Best of luck to him ....finish strong!

My Father's Day prediction is that the lineup will really be shaken up this year. I predict Gillis, Morton, and Jones will all start, and Edey will come off the bench.

Then again for Father's Day: GrandpaKnowsBaseball.Com

• Haha
Reactions: BBG
I hope you are right, but at this point, I think the odds he gets passed up by at least one freshman and/or Berg are higher than the odds he breaks out as a senior.
I don't see it as likely.
Defense counts a lot and most freshman bigs can't play D.
Even if they have the knack (and the shot blocking) they usually aren't strong enough to stay on the floor for starter minutes.
Despite the wishing here the freshman center is "probably" too skinny to be a significant factor THIS year.
Hopefully a factor in a few minutes against the right matchups. Ala Zach as a frosh.
That Zach was able to be a factor speaks to how unusually good he is. And how big even as a frosh.
Berg probably the biggest chance, he sure shows a nice stroke shooting it in that shooting session with TKR and the shooting doc. But he's been pretty 'stiff' in his movements. Hopefully he's growing into that big body and getting strong enough to move better. Ala Zach from Frosh to Sr, the move is large.

Last edited:
Furst is a great young man, but
he didn't even play in the NCAA finals last year.
He won't start this year and he will play less as the season goes by.
Big Jake will keep him on the bench.

I believe he did play...though it was for about a minute.

7'3.5" - 2 time national player of the year played all but 1:46 of the game.......

Love to see Berg become a factor. But you're dreaming.

I see Jacobson starting with Furst backing him up and playing more minutes than he did last year and TKR staying at the 4 but getting more scoring opportunities

I think. ;)
Caleb s good guy , hope so 🙏

I don't see it as likely.
Defense counts a lot and most freshman bigs can't play D.
Even if they have the knack (and the shot blocking) they usually aren't strong enough to stay on the floor for starter minutes.
Despite the wishing here the freshman center is "probably" too skinny to be a significant factor THIS year.
Hopefully a factor in a few minutes against the right matchups. Ala Zach as a frosh.
That Zach was able to be a factor speaks to how unusually good he is. And how big even as a frosh.
Berg probably the biggest chance, he sure shows a nice stroke shooting it in that shooting session with TKR and the shooting doc. But he's been pretty 'stiff' in his movements. Hopefully he's growing into that big body and getting strong enough to move better. Ala Zach from Frosh to Sr, the move is large.
I mean if it's purely a defensive decision (it won't be) then yeah Painter is probably starting Jacobson or Berg over Furst. Furst isn't a rim protector, certainly not any more than TKR is. It seems pretty clear to me TKR is our starting 5. So the question is who starts at the 4. Heide probably. Could it be Furst? Sure. But I suspect Painter wants the talent of Heide and Colvin on the floor as much as possible, and he wants Loyer and Smith out there a lot too obviously. So that says Heide is spending a fair amount of time at the 4 and Colvin at the 3. Now sometimes they will both slide up one spot to the 3 and 2 (especially when Loyer is sitting) and at that point, you will likely see Furst at the 4, or TKR could slide over to give one of the bigs some playing time.
This isn't your dad's B10. There aren't a ton of bruising teams that require multiple bigs.

My Father's Day prediction is that the lineup will really be shaken up this year. I predict Gillis, Morton, and Jones will all start, and Edey will come off the bench.

Then again for Father's Day: GrandpaKnowsBaseball.Com
Morton should start for Colorado St
Gillis might start for Duke.
Jones might start in the G-League.
Edey will definitely come off the bench in the NBA.

Sounds right!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT