ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings and Release

Catchings has a chance to be an outstanding player in the NBA…no one on our roster or coming in next year has the ceiling at the pro level that Catchings has! In fact…there are no legitimate NBA players on our roster next year. Catchings will have a nice career in the NBA…
Who on our roster last season projects to be a great NBA player?

Catchings has a chance to be an outstanding player in the NBA…no one on our roster or coming in next year has the ceiling at the pro level that Catchings has! In fact…there are no legitimate NBA players on our roster next year. Catchings will have a nice career in the NBA…

When a player has such a high ceiling…you do NOT run him off!
i will repeat.

Colvin.
Jasobsen.

Potentially Harris and Heide. Wouldn’t be surprised to see TKR get there too.

Small potential Smith (but he also will be one of, if not the, best PG in the nation this year and next)

Reactions: boilermaker75

If only Painter had let Ronnie Johnson show his 'sauce' Purdue would probably have three Natty's by now. I think I know you from the coach's radio call-in show.

If they make it (Catchings will be there)…Catchings will be a better NBA player than those mentioned.

Last edited:
Enough of this off season bickering…off to bed. It’s been a nice chat this evening, boyz. Catchings says, “Boiler Down”.

I have never called into a radio show.
big brother pop GIF by Big Brother After Dark

• Love
Reactions: northside100

Catchings hasn't played one game in college, and you have him in the NBA.

He has NBA talent…there are NO Purdue players on the roster that you can say that about.

If Glenn Robinson wanted guaranteed playing time….would Painter and Purdue be so stupid not to grant him such. Instead…show him the door. What a bunch of morons!

Now…I understand why there are no National Championship banners hanging from the rafters at Mackey.

Catchings was the gem in the incoming recruiting class. Don’t mess it up!
So I think it's more complicated.

First, Catchings isn't Big Dog. If Big Dog showed up Painter isn't an idiot, of course he's starting from Day One. Also Big Dog didn't need anyone to tell him he was guaranteed to start, it was as obvious as rain was wet and he didn't have any issues with confidence or needed to be promised the obvious.

Second, I don't think it was merely about starting, I think he is totally focused on the NBA and wanted to be showcased for whatever he felt would be best for the NBA and of course Painter said I'll play you in the best spots for the team as it needs it. I think once Catchings saw he wasn't going to be "Showcased" exactly the way he thought he needed to be, he was out.

So I wouldn't expect or desire Painter to do that. First because it's a bad idea, but second now you are risking unhappiness with guys like Heide or Colvin or others who will be here at least another 2 possibly 3 seasons for a guy who might be here 1 and while yes NBA lottery potential is also not someone who you just ride to a Final Four.

Whereas a JR Colvin and Heide with senior TKR Smith and Loyer plus some talented Sophs is a team that can make a Final Four and you don't want to blow that up for one guy who what, might make a Sweet 16 easier one season?

Hurts us this upcoming year but I'm not sure it's not a plus after. I don't think he would have stayed a second season even if he'd stayed this one.

Catchings will play in the NBA…no current player on Purdue’s roster will play in the NBA. Catchings had the highest ceiling talent wise on our roster. You do not mess that up…and run him off! Dolts! Back to the normal Purdue…let’s see 44 years…that would be in 2068.
He's no better than Jaden Ivey and it's not like that led to a Final Four. Your certainty that he would have is perplexing.

Are you seriously comparing Catchings to Glenn Robinson? 😂

MP made promises to Biggie, so it's not like he won't do it for elite players, he clearly didn't think that Catchings was at that level and the facts back him up. I'm with you in believing that anyone saying that this is either for the best or not a big deal is mistaken, but Cathings is an elite prospect because his skill level for his height, length and athleticism is very high. Don't confuse an elite prospect for an elite player. He's nowhere close to the latter as demonstrated by his productivity (or relative lack thereof).
There was a gaping hole there for Caleb to fill. And a big talent drop to the guys behind him.
The cupboard is not nearly as bare at Catchings position. Not nearly the "need" for Catchings in comparison.
He might be more skilled offensively by a large margin and still be less effective as a teammate if he can't defend and/or is too weak to be factor against Big 10 bigs. How many 5 star 1 and done's has iu had in the last 10 years?
How many made the team better and made them successful in that year?
On lots of past Boiler teams losing a guy like this would be reason for major depression.
With THIS team, eh.
Already going to have plenty of firepower (I think), so who can rebound and defend while scoring some (and spreading it around) might end up a better mix in the end.
And we'll get someone else that we wouldn't have gotten and they'll be good too, so....

Reactions: Schnelk and krf3632
Read my previous post and the post above this makes a lot of sense. a post above said catchings wanted guaranteed playing time. and the coaching staff refused to guarantee it.

if you actually read my previous posts, i speculated Jacobson would start at center and be backed up by Furst and TKR would stay at the 4 and be backed up by heide

and the only way Catchings would start and be a one and done at purdue is for him to start at the three. because if TKR started at the 4, Catchings wouldn't get enough minutes to showcase his talents playing the 4.

and as many of you already know, Painter starts a third guard at the three and not a small forward like Catchings.

I'm going to speculate Catchings wanted to start at the three and painter said no, you will be backing up TKR because of Jacobson's success. and I could just see Catchings face, saying, I want to play for a team where the 3 is a small forward and not a guard. and he refused to be TKR's back-up at the 4.

I believe the timing of Catchings announced departure coincided with Jacobson's recent success.

I strongly believe Catchings will look for an opportunity where he can start at the three, or at least not be a back-up at the 4. Catchings' game is more suited to being an NBA 3. and it doesn't appear that Painter was going to give him the opportunity to play the 3 at Purdue. it appears Painter decided he's going to have Harris and myles at the three as that third guard. I agree with the poster above who indicated Catchings wanted guaranteed playing time. and I believe he balked at playing back-up to TKR at the 4. he thought Painter would change his style because of his talent and make the 3 into a small forward position to allow him to shine. and he had a chat with Painter, and Painter said nope, the 3 is going to remain being a guard. Jacobson starts at center, tkr starts at the 4.

and Catchings said if that happens, I'm outta here.

I will be watching to see where he ends up and what position he ends up playing.

Read my previous post and the post above this makes a lot of sense. a post above said catchings wanted guaranteed playing time. and the coaching staff refused to guarantee it.

if you actually read my previous posts, i speculated Jacobson would start at center and be backed up by Furst and TKR would stay at the 4 and be backed up by heide

and the only way Catchings would start and be a one and done at purdue is for him to start at the three. because if TKR started at the 4, Catchings wouldn't get enough minutes to showcase his talents playing the 4.

and as many of you already know, Painter starts a third guard at the three and not a small forward like Catchings.

I'm going to speculate Catchings wanted to start at the three and painter said no, you will be backing up TKR because of Jacobson's success. and I could just see Catchings face, saying, I want to play for a team where the 3 is a small forward and not a guard. and he refused to be TKR's back-up at the 4.

I believe the timing of Catchings announced departure coincided with Jacobson's recent success.

I strongly believe Catchings will look for an opportunity where he can start at the three, or at least not be a back-up at the 4. Catchings' game is more suited to being an NBA 3. and it doesn't appear that Painter was going to give him the opportunity to play the 3 at Purdue. it appears Painter decided he's going to have Harris and myles at the three as that third guard. I agree with the poster above who indicated Catchings wanted guaranteed playing time. and I believe he balked at playing back-up to TKR at the 4. he thought Painter would change his style because of his talent and make the 3 into a small forward position to allow him to shine. and he had a chat with Painter, and Painter said nope, the 3 is going to remain being a guard. Jacobson starts at center, tkr starts at the 4.

I will be watching to see where he ends up and what position he ends up playing.
Wole, you just said everything we all have been saying in the threads that have been created about this. We all agree (since it’s been heavily speculated) that he wanted to be a guaranteed starter, whether it be the 3 or 4 (and I don’t think it matters which one he would have been/wanted) and paint (as we all know) believes in earning that right and showing it in practice/wherever he needs to see it to allow the player to play. We saw it with Colvin and Heide last year and mostly everyone else before that.

If Catchings was a true player who could be one and done, he would have the confidence in himself that he would come in and earn as many minutes as he wanted. If he was concerned he could not beat out TKR , he has no chance making big show.

I don’t think it has anything to do with playing with three versus the four and I don’t think that Catchings was told he’s going to be a back up. That’s just not how Painter typically operates. He let the players make the determination based on their performance.

Who cares if Catchings will be a better player in the NBA. If he doesn't want to be a Boilermaker, then the team is better off without him. And it would not be better for the team if Painter made certain promises to Catchings to make him stay.
I agree with all of that but I still feel that this is unfortunate and a missed opportunity. I would not want MP to have handled this any differently but having the option to work in an elite athlete and scorer into the rotation is certainly impactful at some level. Not sure, and will never know, how it may have played out.

So I think it's more complicated.

First, Catchings isn't Big Dog. If Big Dog showed up Painter isn't an idiot, of course he's starting from Day One. Also Big Dog didn't need anyone to tell him he was guaranteed to start, it was as obvious as rain was wet and he didn't have any issues with confidence or needed to be promised the obvious.

Second, I don't think it was merely about starting, I think he is totally focused on the NBA and wanted to be showcased for whatever he felt would be best for the NBA and of course Painter said I'll play you in the best spots for the team as it needs it. I think once Catchings saw he wasn't going to be "Showcased" exactly the way he thought he needed to be, he was out.

So I wouldn't expect or desire Painter to do that. First because it's a bad idea, but second now you are risking unhappiness with guys like Heide or Colvin or others who will be here at least another 2 possibly 3 seasons for a guy who might be here 1 and while yes NBA lottery potential is also not someone who you just ride to a Final Four.

Whereas a JR Colvin and Heide with senior TKR Smith and Loyer plus some talented Sophs is a team that can make a Final Four and you don't want to blow that up for one guy who what, might make a Sweet 16 easier one season?

Hurts us this upcoming year but I'm not sure it's not a plus after. I don't think he would have stayed a second season even if he'd stayed this one.
If graduation and kids leaving had left Purdue totally bereft of returning talent, then IMO handing over the keys to a ballyhooed wunderkind in order to generate some “buzz” as you rebuild makes sense.

This is definitely NOT the case in West Lafayette in 2024-25.

Trying to find the silver lining here. That he's bolting tells me he doesn't think he can beat out Heide and Colvin for playing time. I like Heide and Colvin a lot, so I'm actually totally fine.

Thinking the emergence of Jacobson may also play a part in this. If Jacobson starts at the 5 that pushes TKR over to the 4 most likely and thus less playing time for Cathings at the 4 (i understand he could play the 4 or 3).

Trying to find the silver lining here. That he's bolting tells me he doesn't think he can beat out Heide and Colvin for playing time. I like Heide and Colvin a lot, so I'm actually totally fine.

Thinking the emergence of Jacobson may also play a part in this. If Jacobson starts at the 5 that pushes TKR over to the 4 most likely and thus less playing time for Cathings at the 4 (i understand he could play the 4 or 3).
I think folks are so eager for TKR to not start at the 5. He is very likely our starter at the 5 all season.

• Love
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Trying to find the silver lining here. That he's bolting tells me he doesn't think he can beat out Heide and Colvin for playing time. I like Heide and Colvin a lot, so I'm actually totally fine…

Interesting point….

If KC really was this all - world, can’t miss talent, it would be obvious from day one that he MUST BE the absolute focus.

Why would he not be eager to prove that? If he’s as dominant as advertised, he had zero to lose by coming to Purdue and refining his ability to play in a system.

Thinking of the classic line about the only person who ever held Jordan under 20 points a game— Dean Smith!

I think folks are so eager for TKR to not start at the 5. He is very likely our starter at the 5 all season.
Sorry, you've probably answered this elsewhere, but when you say Trey at the 5, are you thinking that's because someone like Cam will start as a stretch 4, or would you still consider Trey the 5 if someone like Caleb or DJ starts as the other big?

Interesting point….

If KC really was this all - world, can’t miss talent, it would be obvious from day one that he MUST BE the absolute focus.

Why would he not be eager to prove that? If he’s as dominant as advertised, he had zero to lose by coming to Purdue and refining his ability to play in a system.

Thinking of the classic line about the only person who ever held Jordan under 20 points a game— Dean Smith!
I guess you could say he’s young and 18 years old and may have ppl chirping in his ear, I guess? Hope whatever he does works out for him

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Yah I don’t get it. He has openly stated he prefers/fits at the 5 better than the 4. He played the 5 when Zach was not on the European trip last year and was very efficient and comfortable. I don’t think Jacobsen is ready to start at the 5 yet. He is talented and playing well currently but not at starting big 10 caliber. He’s likely to see minutes but will definitely be coached up as the season progresses. Berg is the big unknown in this situation. How capable is he of playing competitively? I don’t think TKR is at the top of the list for the 4 spot given the other players and their strengths. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Yah I don’t get it. He has openly stated he prefers/fits at the 5 better than the 4. He played the 5 when Zach was not on the European trip last year and was very efficient and comfortable. I don’t think Jacobsen is ready to start at the 5 yet. He is talented and playing well currently but not at starting big 10 caliber. He’s likely to see minutes but will definitely be coached up as the season progresses. Berg is the big unknown in this situation. How capable is he of playing competitively? I don’t think TKR is at the top of the list for the 4 spot given the other players and their strengths. Just my opinion.
TKR will be our low post scorer…DJ will be the rim protector when he’s in. I see Furst and DJ playing alongside TKR than Berg. I think Berg backs up TKR.

Sorry, you've probably answered this elsewhere, but when you say Trey at the 5, are you thinking that's because someone like Cam will start as a stretch 4, or would you still consider Trey the 5 if someone like Caleb or DJ starts as the other big?
First I think it unlikely DJ starts. Yes he looks like a nice player but like Edey I'm going to guess he's going to start out backing up the more experienced player.

Second, it's very clear 5 is where TKR wants to play. He's sacrificed for the team for two seasons, it's his time now.

Third, there are options for the 4. Heide, Furst are two real options depending on whether the other team has a big 4 or whatever best sets up mismatches.

Now is it possible that at moments we will see DJ and TKR in the game at the same time? Sure. Matchups, foul trouble, etc. but I think people have been clear they don't want TKR starting at the 5 for his whole career. So they want a big 7 footer in there.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
TKR will be our low post scorer…DJ will be the rim protector when he’s in. I see Furst and DJ playing alongside TKR than Berg. I think Berg backs up TKR.
I wouldn’t be stunned to see DJ get time at the 4 along side TKR. I don’t believe he starts at either position though. I think he moves well enough to cover the 4 and his length helps out when he would get beat .

I think TKR @ 5 too. But wherever, 4 or 5, likely on one of 3 All B10 teams come end of year. I just think this is his year.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I wouldn’t be stunned to see DJ get time at the 4 along side TKR. I don’t believe he starts at either position though. I think he moves well enough to cover the 4 and his length helps out when he would get beat .
If DJ can give us 10-20 (may be too high/might get this later in the year) of solid mins protecting the rim and scoring 4-8 points with 3-5 boards a game, then that’d be great. I’m interested to see Berg and how he performs.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
First I think it unlikely DJ starts. Yes he looks like a nice player but like Edey I'm going to guess he's going to start out backing up the more experienced player.

Second, it's very clear 5 is where TKR wants to play. He's sacrificed for the team for two seasons, it's his time now.

Third, there are options for the 4. Heide, Furst are two real options depending on whether the other team has a big 4 or whatever best sets up mismatches.

Now is it possible that at moments we will see DJ and TKR in the game at the same time? Sure. Matchups, foul trouble, etc. but I think people have been clear they don't want TKR starting at the 5 for his whole career. So they want a big 7 footer in there.
So if Trey is playing alongside Caleb you'd consider Trey to be the five?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT