ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue snippet from The Athletic

Sleepers is a couple of BSers on YouTube that don't know anymore than most of the posters on this site.
Maybe, but the reason they were mentioned is because them and others who have seen DJ (on the USA 18 team) dominate play that was not expected for his rating! Like Edey vastly underrated gem that Painter has found! Your poo poo remark tells me you're an IU fan in denial! Oh boy here we go again.

Maybe, but the reason they were mentioned is because them and others who have seen DJ (on the USA 18 team) dominate play that was not expected for his rating! Like Edey vastly underrated gem that Painter has found! Your poo poo remark tells me you're an IU fan in denial! Oh boy here we go again.
These guys are rough for me too. They are pretty complimentary of Purdue at times but their logic and ways of thinking tend to be pretty elementary, i.e. they overvalue players with good physical measurables, particularly those that are highly rated and put a lot of stock in stats without paying much attention to usage and efficiency. It's unclear to me how much of that is purposeful to drive clicks and subscribers and how much is an accurate portrayal of their level of sophistication.

Elliott seems to be lost much of the time but again, it's unclear whether that's him playing a role or is an accurate representation.

I hate to admit it but I think iu will be significantly improved next year. If Purdue had this same transfer class we would be singing about the final four. Iu is more talented than us at every position except PG. Having said that they are all being coached by woody, will still struggle from 3, and I don’t think the players will compliment each other as Ballo will clog the lanes where Ware was able to step back and let Mgbako and Renau effectively play the post. My expectation is Indiana is improved but 5-7 seed.
It's true almost every year that IU brings in higher rated talent than Purdue. This has been true for as long as I can remember. Until the past several years, it only helped to keep the games competitive, and to keep Purdue from completely dominating.

I agree IU should be improved next year. And Purdue likely won't be a dominant team next year. It should be a more competitive series.

A little harsh, I'd say.

Sleepers is a couple of BSers on YouTube that don't know anymore than most of the posters on this site.
Correct. A couple jock-sniffers that cheer for Michigan and MSU with way too much time on their hands.

That's such a weird caveat. Were there any other players mentioned for other teams where they raised that issue?
Yeah, Smith didn't miss any time due to injury. All Purdue fans did get a scare when he went down towards the end of the season, but he appeared to recover quickly. As others have said, newcomers should take some of the pressure off playing him so many minutes.

Reactions: pboiler18
Stays healthy seems to imply to me that yes he is healthy, but it also could mean he had a health issue previously and so we are concerned about him staying healthy. I am just checking to be sure he is all good. We will have some additional bench strength for sure, but I agree Smith will be one of the keys on how far we go for sure.
He broke a bone in his foot his senior year in high school, but any injury to him hinders the whole team

I hate to admit it but I think iu will be significantly improved next year. If Purdue had this same transfer class we would be singing about the final four. Iu is more talented than us at every position except PG. Having said that they are all being coached by woody, will still struggle from 3, and I don’t think the players will compliment each other as Ballo will clog the lanes where Ware was able to step back and let Mgbako and Renau effectively play the post. My expectation is Indiana is improved but 5-7 seed.
But IU has Woody Woodpecker as their coach, did u forget?

But IU has Woody Woodpecker as their coach, did u forget?
If he has the same schemes on offense where they don’t value the 3 and also the same
On defense where they don’t guard the 3, they are going to disappoint again.

Sleepers now has Jacobsen and Catchings in the top 10 newcomers next year in the BT, and I really believe they are missing out on Harris and his impact as. a backup to Smith. Purdue has a lot of shooters and should be one the best from 3 in the country! ESPN has Purdue at # 15 with Jacobsen starting at center! Painter has added a lot of athletes to Purdue and I believe their defense will improve. Painter is a top 10 coach in the country and the tracks lead to another championship caliber team.
Now step back and look at IU, first they have Woodson as a coach, enough said! He had TJD, Ware and now Ballo who is a downgrade from the first two. Also Ballo measured 6' 10" in the NBAdraftroom, who can't shoot and has very little skills. The two forwards are their strength, but not the best athletes.
Galloway is the highest rated guard if you look at the computer metrics at 292 with Rice at 382, Caryle comes in at 1171! Their preseason all American last year, Cupps( just as good as Smith except he can play defense) is at 2552. And again this year the 3 point line will be a problem even with Goode!

I think Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St and UCLA should be at the top!
I heard Sleepy Mike has eliminated the fine wine and stogie, post-loss parties and seems really energized this season to again not develop players or really coach during games. But he has paid Simon-funded basketball players, so he’s got that going for IU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT