ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler, Sasha and Dow......

PU52Chevy

All-American
Jul 18, 2006
I think all 3 of them will fight for most improved player next year......

Sasha in my mind is already starting to reach his potential and this year will take it to another level.

Dow is still needing the chance to prove his value and I think because of the Haarms exit, it opens the door for him to get more minutes and show just how athletic he is. He will clean the glass and block shots for sure on the defensive end and offensively as long as he passes well and rebounds without fouling is all he needs to do...... Love this kid and can't wait to see him give 110% effort this year and get rewarded for it.

Lastly, Wheeler.....many have given up on this young man, but I am exactly the opposite...I think he will be the most improved player this year and surprise all of you who are putting him down.

I think he will lock down the starting 4 spot and he will give the other team's 4 a nightmare match up because they will have to guard the outside shot as well as him driving to the basket and dunking on them as well as posting them up.

My thoughts are as follows:
Team Captains: Eastern, Wheeler and Hunter
Tre: Team MVP
Leading scorer: Hunter
DPOY: Eastern
Most Improved: Wheeler
Best Newcomer: Morton
6th man: Newman/Dow
Hardest Competitor: Gillis

Starting 5:
Eastern. if Eastern leaves then Thompson
Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Tre

This years team will be fun to watch and to get back to the point of my post...look out for Wheeler and Dow to really surprise and do very well this year.

Boiler Up!

Sasha in my mind is already starting to reach his potential and this year will take it to another level.

Dow is still needing the chance to prove his value and I think because of the Haarms exit, it opens the door for him to get more minutes and show just how athletic he is. He will clean the glass and block shots for sure on the defensive end and offensively as long as he passes well and rebounds without fouling is all he needs to do...... Love this kid and can't wait to see him give 110% effort this year and get rewarded for it.

Lastly, Wheeler.....many have given up on this young man, but I am exactly the opposite...I think he will be the most improved player this year and surprise all of you who are putting him down.

I think he will lock down the starting 4 spot and he will give the other team's 4 a nightmare match up because they will have to guard the outside shot as well as him driving to the basket and dunking on them as well as posting them up.

Starting 5:
Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Tre

This years team will be fun to watch and to get back to the point of my post...look out for Wheeler and Dow to really surprise and do very well this year.

Boiler Up!

Bold prediction on Wheeler’s vast improvement. I hope you are correct. If he can hit his 3’s at a reasonable clip, everything will come together for him.

Sasha is solid and will get his points. He is still a complimentary player but will be able to get more of his own shots.

Dow... who knows. If he can just not foul so dang much, rebound, and play D it would be good. Any offense is gravy.

Wheeler won't be starting. I am a fan of his and hope he breaks out of whatever is holding him back, but if he doesn't show some signs in the preseason, then we are likely not to see much of him as the other players behind him are better, well on paper anyway.

I haven't seen anything in Dow to show he is going to do anything Edey can't already do with Edey having a bigger upside. Granted the sample size on both is small and it will get sorted out in practice, but Dow might get the nod by default since I would expect Edey to redshirt.

Sasha already showed improvement and adding different aspects to his game. He struggled when he had tight defense on him but that wasn't his fault per se as he really didn't have a lot of help.

Now, if by some happenstance Nojel moves to the four, I think we see him become most improved. The idea sounds good but the coaches know this team the best and will decide based on practice and what not.

Need to temper any expectations on Dow. Unless he finds some magic skill beans to eat this offseason, I don't know if you can expect any sort of contribution from a guy who only got off the bench in garbage time and never played a meaningful minute all year.
He passes the eye test, but at this level, you have to have the skill and basketball knowledge, otherwise the game is way too fast for you.

Dow needs reps, a whole lot of them. This down time is probably hurting him the most of anybody on the team.
Wheeler needs more than his shot to come back. He should be lifting and dribbling in order to add a more physical game inside the arc. He's too one dimensional.
Sasha already has shown an improved ability to drive to the bucket. Hopefully he proves he can finish there which will likely open up his 3 pointer.
The bottom line is the whole team needs to get back in the gym and weight room. Asap.

With our team being 16-15 last year, the whole team needs some sort of improvement in passing, shooting, FT shooting, defense, etc. It really hurts us that the team cannot play together right now.

Dow needs reps, a whole lot of them. This down time is probably hurting him the most of anybody on the team.
Wheeler needs more than his shot to come back. He should be lifting and dribbling in order to add a more physical game inside the arc. He's too one dimensional.
Sasha already has shown an improved ability to drive to the bucket. Hopefully he proves he can finish there which will likely open up his 3 pointer.
The bottom line is the whole team needs to get back in the gym and weight room. Asap.

I agree with all this. Dow just needs to be a good defender and rebound. He won’t be great. We need him though bc Edey should RS.

Wheeler needs a lot of work. I don’t think he’s a starter but we’ll see.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The more I think about it, I think the most important thing this team needs next year is a leader.
Who do we think will be that leader or leaders for next year’s team? I see us having more than 1 leader. I think Eastern could be one of the main ones, if he stays, Sasha and Tre.

Starting 5:
Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Tre

Boiler Up!

That's a pretty optimistic take. But I hope it comes to fruition.

I would love to see Wheeler improve his handles, bulk up a little, and drive to the basket. He has to have that as part of his game for him and the team to be successful. He has all of the physical tools to do this. He just needs to make that a complete focus.

I really like Sasha. Especially the way he's tried to drive to the basket. Hopefully he can better shake defenders and be more consistent.

Nobody really knows what Dow is capable of doing. I wish he would have seen more time on the floor last year, but it is what it is. He doesn't have to be a scorer per se, but he does need to provide good defense, rebound, and threaten to score in the post. I liked what I saw in his footwork last year in very, very limited minutes. But we shall see.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

Starting 5:
Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Tre

Boiler Up!
I agree on Wheeler being the most improved. I think he will go back to about what he was as a RS Freshman which would be a vast improvement from last year.

I believe Sasha has pretty much reached his ceiling. Could he shoot a better percentage from 3 on the road? Sure. However, as I player I think we have seen all he will be. I don’t expect him to start attacking the basket consistently or become a great defender.

Dow I guess is an unknown, but during his time this year, he just looked lost and uncoordinated. That was against other teams’ garbage time players as well. It was very telling for me that when Haarms went down Dow still didn’t get any playing time. Nothing he has done suggests he will be a good shot blocker or rebounder at this level. We know he won’t be good offensively.

I’m hoping Hunter takes over as the leader of the team. The guys who were the captains last year had their chance and failed to lead the team. Time to go in a different direction. Just because you are the oldest player on the team doesn’t mean you are a leader.

LOL, the ASAP just reminded me of this................
asapaspossible.gif

I like Sasha as a player, but I wonder if he might be better served coming off the bench as an offensive spark.

Expanding on my previous post about Hunter being the leader, I think if Eastern becomes the leader, we end up being a better team. But I'm not sure if that's going to happen. And, before I get any backlash, that's not necessarily a knock on him.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Starting 5:
Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Tre

Boiler Up!

Even if you’re not right in the end, I love the enthusiasm... and btw, I do hope you are right

Reactions: Schnelk

Starting 5:
Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Tre

Boiler Up!
What in the history of Dow's minute minutes gives you the idea he's going to do anything other than clean up minutes? And Wheeler who couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a baseball bat last year? Sasha....maybe. I think some of the new guys will get more minutes that either Dow or Wheeler. But that is just my opinion and I hope your right and i'm not.

I sure the hell hope NE and AW aren't both starting unless AW shoots a lot better.Certainly don't think SS has reached his ceiling!

Who do we think will be that leader or leaders for next year’s team? I see us having more than 1 leader. I think Eastern could be one of the main ones, if he stays, Sasha and Tre.

You can't just concoct leadership. Those 3 all have positive attributes, but didn't step forward last year with one of them an upperclassmen.

Painter's sounded pretty high on Mason/Gillis and their work ethic. Obviously doesn't equate to team leader on its own, but certainly a big part of it.

Hunter seems to be most realistic given his class and what we've seen from him.

I agree on Wheeler being the most improved. I think he will go back to about what he was as a RS Freshman which would be a vast improvement from last year.

I believe Sasha has pretty much reached his ceiling. Could he shoot a better percentage from 3 on the road? Sure. However, as I player I think we have seen all he will be. I don’t expect him to start attacking the basket consistently or become a great defender.

Dow I guess is an unknown, but during his time this year, he just looked lost and uncoordinated. That was against other teams’ garbage time players as well. It was very telling for me that when Haarms went down Dow still didn’t get any playing time. Nothing he has done suggests he will be a good shot blocker or rebounder at this level. We know he won’t be good offensively.

I’m hoping Hunter takes over as the leader of the team. The guys who were the captains last year had their chance and failed to lead the team. Time to go in a different direction. Just because you are the oldest player on the team doesn’t mean you are a leader.

I don't get the knock on Sasha that somehow he's peaked?

He's just as good if not a better defender than Cline his senior year. You can always continue improving on defense (which by the way, he had more blocks than Eastern, Hunter and Proctor, and 30 steals which was 3 fewer than Eastern).

He has shown to be more willing and able to drive (he shot 16 more free throws than Cline did his senior year while playing 400+ fewer minutes).

He needs to get more consistent - getting above 40% from 3 would be great, and he can continue to improve on passing. Adding strength can help free himself up more -- sometimes last year, given he was our only 3 point threat, teams really locked him down. Obviously the first priority is for us to have a 2nd threat....but adding strength will allow him to free up from defenders better.

Several of these areas he's improved from freshman to redshirt sophomore. I'm not sure why you'd suddenly write him off as not being able to get any better.

I like Sasha as a player, but I wonder if he might be better served coming off the bench as an offensive spark.

Expanding on my previous post about Hunter being the leader, I think if Eastern becomes the leader, we end up being a better team. But I'm not sure if that's going to happen. And, before I get any backlash, that's not necessarily a knock on him.

Supposedly Eastern is the leader of these early team zoom meetings. You would think his combination of talent and being a senior.....that he would be the guy. Afterall, he is the best defensive and rebounding guard in the nation.....and your stud should lead.

I would love a guy like SS coming off the bench and lighting teams up with 3-6 threes. Hope that at least 1 of these 4 frosh guards/wings are talented enough to break the starting lineup to replace some of these starters on what was a ~9th place B10 team. Afterall, that is how we get better.

The more I think about it, I think the most important thing this team needs next year is a leader.

Talent might help too......hoping for at least 1 if not 2 new starters from these 5 frosh, because of that talent that can't be kept off the floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG and milkdude

He's just as good if not a better defender than Cline his senior year. You can always continue improving on defense (which by the way, he had more blocks than Eastern, Hunter and Proctor, and 30 steals which was 3 fewer than Eastern).

He has shown to be more willing and able to drive (he shot 16 more free throws than Cline did his senior year while playing 400+ fewer minutes).

He needs to get more consistent - getting above 40% from 3 would be great, and he can continue to improve on passing. Adding strength can help free himself up more -- sometimes last year, given he was our only 3 point threat, teams really locked him down. Obviously the first priority is for us to have a 2nd threat....but adding strength will allow him to free up from defenders better.

Several of these areas he's improved from freshman to redshirt sophomore. I'm not sure why you'd suddenly write him off as not being able to get any better.

I agree that Sasha hasn't peaked. I think he just needs to work on consistency like you said. He disappeared in way too many games last year. But I loved how he created space at times by driving the ball to the basket. He definitely has potential.

I said he could get more consistent. However, he physically doesn’t have the makeup to become a great defender or someone who attacks the basket with consistency. He’s a specialist in the same mold as Cline. I think Cline’s Senior year numbers are Sasha’s ceiling numbers, and again that just comes down to consistency. If Sasha were to hit 1 more 3 per game, he would be at Cline’s senior year numbers. I don’t think that would put someone in the category of most improved, or at least I hope not given how poor we were last year.

My guess is Sasha shoots around 40% and actually takes a step back in points next season due to getting less minutes with the guard spot being so full.

Supposedly Eastern is the leader of these early team zoom meetings. You would think his combination of talent and being a senior.....that he would be the guy. Afterall, he is the best defensive and rebounding guard in the nation.....and your stud should lead.

I would love a guy like SS coming off the bench and lighting teams up with 3-6 threes. Hope that at least 1 of these 4 frosh guards/wings are talented enough to break the starting lineup to replace some of these starters on what was a ~9th place B10 team. Afterall, that is how we get better.
What are you basing that on? His rebounding avg last year (4.0) isn't even close to the best in the country at the guard position. He's not even in the top 30 at that position.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/137

What are you basing that on? His rebounding avg last year (4.0) isn't even close to the best in the country at the guard position. He's not even in the top 30 at that position.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/137

He's not on this list either...

2020 LEFTY DRIESELL DEFENSIVE ALL-AMERICA TEAM

Tyler Bey 6-7 Jr. Colorado
Mamadi Diakite 6-9 Sr. Virginia
Malachi Flynn 6-1 Jr. San Diego State
Trent Forrest 6-4 Sr. Florida State
Javon Freemn-Liberty 6-3 So. Valparaiso
Marcus Garrett 6-5 Jr. Kansas
Romaro Gill 7-2 Sr. Seton Hall
Jacob Gilyard 5-9 Jr. Richmond
Ashton Hagans 6-3 So. Kentucky
Juvaris Hayes 6-1 Sr. Merrimack
Tre Jones 6-3 So. Duke
Davonta Jordan 6-2 Sr. Buffalo
Nathan Knight 6-10 Sr. William & Mary
Jason Levi 5-11 Jr. UT Rio Grande Valley
Isaiah Miller 6-0 Jr. UNCG
Davion Mitchell 6-3 So. Baylor
Ruot Monyyong 6-10 Jr. Little Rock
Osasumwen Osaghae 6-9 Sr. FIU
Daniel Oturu 6-10 So. Minnesota
Jonah Radebaugh 6-3 Sr. Northern Colorado
Zavier Simpson 6-0 Sr. Michigan
Jalen Tate 6-6 Jr. Northern Kentucky
Aaron Thompson Jr. 6-2 Jr. Butler
Jahlil Tripp 6-5 Sr. Pacific
Mark Vital 6-5 Jr. Baylor

So Wheeler, Sasha, and Dow. I think Sasha will be a valuable contributor. If Dow doesn't establish himself in the rotation by mid-season I think the project will have failed. Time to move on to players with readily available upside. Wheeler, what can I say? He looks the part and for a brief time over a year ago he played the part. Now all I can hear is a repetitive, resounding "Clank" every time he steps on the court. I hope to see that change but the most recent season does not support that hope.

Well, an old saying goes like, "buy when bloods on the floor"
I suppose that would be the right move for stocks and sports?

Prolly more on stocks than sports..

But then again, I am a hopeless Purdue Homer..
Geoux Aaron,
Geoux Sasha,
Geoux Beastern
Geoux Mason,
Geoux Purdue!

Boiler Up!!

Reactions: Inspector100
With our team being 16-15 last year, the whole team needs some sort of improvement in passing, shooting, FT shooting, defense, etc. It really hurts us that the team cannot play together right now.
Being really bored and anxious to watch sports of any kind, I watched the replay of the Rutgers vs. Purdue game at Mackey. That proved that I had to be EXTREMELY bored to watch that game again. I did feel bad for Hunter when he had a chance to win the game when he went to the line for two free throws with two seconds left in regulation and missed the second to send it into overtime. If this continues into next season, I don't see much hope for this group and it's difficult to be a spectator watching this kind of play.

This is all I care about...….

BIG TEN ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM

• Jalen Smith, Maryland
  • Xavier Tillman, Michigan State
  • Daniel Oturu, Minnesota
  • Jamari Wheeler, Penn State
  • Nojel Eastern, Purdue
……...in the toughest league in the nation, hands down.

I'll reserve any judgement on Dow....hard to see if he will sink or swim when he has barely gotten his feet wet, IMO

This is all I care about...….

BIG TEN ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM

• Jalen Smith, Maryland
  • Xavier Tillman, Michigan State
  • Daniel Oturu, Minnesota
  • Jamari Wheeler, Penn State
  • Nojel Eastern, Purdue
……...in the toughest league in the nation, hands down.

I'll reserve any judgement on Dow....hard to see if he will sink or swim when he has barely gotten his feet wet, IMO

I'm not arguing he doesn't belong on either list. He does. But for Boiler Buck to say he's the best defensive guard in the nation? I don't know about that...

Reactions: PU pit bull
Can we for once keep a thread on topic of the players discussed...there's plenty of other threads about Nojel.

Reactions: BBG
Can we for once keep a thread on topic of the players discussed...there's plenty of other threads about Nojel.
The OP mentioned NE in his post multiple times. He listed him as a captain/leader and also as a starter (if he doesn't leave. His words not mine). The post wasn't just about the 3 players listed in the thread title.

I agree that Sasha hasn't peaked. I think he just needs to work on consistency like you said. He disappeared in way too many games last year. But I loved how he created space at times by driving the ball to the basket. He definitely has potential.

He's not gonna become hulk, but getting more strength should allow him to find more space (and he has such a quick trigger he doesn't need a lot).

Like I said, part of the problem was he was the only 3 point threat and many teams just locked him down and dared other guards to beat them. A guy like Cline had such success because teams were not able to focus on him. We don't have an Edwards level type of player (at this point) that will draw that kind of attention, but simply having one or two other perimeter threats out there with him so that teams can't focus on him so much will be a big difference right there.

Some of Sasha's better games last year you saw just that --
2nd leading scorer vs. Iowa, Boudreaux had 18, Proctor 15, Hunter 13.
2nd leading scorer vs. Wisconsin, Thompson 14, Boudreaux 10, Eastern 8
Leading scorer vs. Minnesota, Hunter 16

But he does need to become more consistent and stronger.

The OP mentioned NE in his post multiple times. He listed him as a captain/leader and also as a starter (if he doesn't leave. His words not mine). The post wasn't just about the 3 players listed in the thread title.

Well, for the sake of redundancy :)

Reactions: Dryfly88
In my view to predict (guess) who will be "the most improved player" you need to look at a players history then guess what there potential is. To me this would mean Sasha, Hunter and Williams aren't the best candidates and I might also throw in IT. All four of these guys played at or above the level I would have expected them to this year and given their limitations I believe there is only limited room for improvement next year. In other words if your playing pretty well there is less room for improvement. Also if someone has never played, how are they the most improved (all the freshman and Dow)?

If you define "most improved" as improvement from this year to next year? My top two candidates are Wheeler and Eastern. Wheeler and Eastern both had disappointing seasons last year. Wheeler shot 44.4% as a RS freshman and 25.7% last year. Nojel scored 2.6 points less per game last year than his sophomore year. His shooting percentage was 42% this year compared to around 49% his freshman and sophomore years. Nojel was even one of ten players picked as preseason all Big Ten this year. .

If Wheeler could shoot at the level he did as a freshman or Nojel could improve his production just a little bit from his sophomore year, they would hands down be the most improved players. We know they can do it because they've done it before. Will they do it? Who knows.

In my view to predict (guess) who will be "the most improved player" you need to look at a players history then guess what there potential is. To me this would mean Sasha, Hunter and Williams aren't the best candidates and I might also throw in IT. All four of these guys played at or above the level I would have expected them to this year and given their limitations I believe there is only limited room for improvement next year. In other words if your playing pretty well there is less room for improvement. Also if someone has never played, how are they the most improved (all the freshman and Dow)?

If you define "most improved" as improvement from this year to next year? My top two candidates are Wheeler and Eastern. Wheeler and Eastern both had disappointing seasons last year. Wheeler shot 44.4% as a RS freshman and 25.7% last year. Nojel scored 2.6 points less per game last year than his sophomore year. His shooting percentage was 42% this year compared to around 49% his freshman and sophomore years. Nojel was even one of ten players picked as preseason all Big Ten this year. .

If Wheeler could shoot at the level he did as a freshman or Nojel could improve his production just a little bit from his sophomore year, they would hands down be the most improved players. We know they can do it because they've done it before. Will they do it? Who knows.

I could argue your point that because Wheeler and Eastern had shown more production in the prior year, that's not really the definition of "most improved". In my opinion, the definition of "most improved" means that someone has gone beyond their historical performance. I think both of them have the opportunity to become "most improved", but going back to 2018/2019 performance wouldn't be considered that in my book.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
I could argue your point that because Wheeler and Eastern had shown more production in the prior year, that's not really the definition of "most improved". In my opinion, the definition of "most improved" means that someone has gone beyond their historical performance. I think both of them have the opportunity to become "most improved", but going back to 2018/2019 performance wouldn't be considered that in my book.

Yeah, I get your point.

I'm just not a big believer in guys changing who they are. Dow is already 22 and both Wheeler and Sasha will be 22 this fall. Most of these guys have been playing basketball most of their lives (Dow is the exception). Sure some may become better but typically guys become a better version of who they already are. For example Sasha shot 38.3% from three which was 12th in the B10 and was 5th in threes made. If he would have made 1 more three he would have been tied for 3rd. He could shoot a couple of percentage points higher but I'm not sure what else you can expect from him. Is Wheeler going to develop better handles and a slashing game at the age of 22? When is it going to click for Dow? On his 23rd birthday?

I guess I was thinking which guys could improve their play from last year and significantly impact next years success. By that definition I would go with either Wheeler or Nojel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT