ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler, Sasha and Dow......

I get what the hope is, but Dow and Edey had around 4 years combined basketball experience entering college...

I don’t think we need to hand out scholarships just to fill up our roster.

Nationally, Trevion was 18th and Dow was 19th at the 5.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but that doesn't have the appearance of "hand(ing) out scholarships just to fill up our roster."

Oh, by the way, Okoro was 7th nationally, and, again, he just transferred to SLU.

There's a very loud (and clear!) message there...

Nationally, Trevion was 18th and Dow was 19th at the 5.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but that doesn't have the appearance of "hand(ing) out scholarships just to fill up our roster."

Oh, by the way, Okoro was 7th nationally, and, again, he just transferred to SLU.

There's a very loud (and clear!) message there...
Is the loud and clear message that the 2018 class was a poor center class? We shouldn't be offering players that have only been playing basketball for a year or two unless they are already studs. Our track record with project players isn't great.

Is the loud and clear message that the 2018 class was a poor center class? We shouldn't be offering players that have only been playing basketball for a year or two unless they are already studs. Our track record with project players isn't great.

I have to confess, I'm more than just a little disappointed in this thread. Mostly at myself.

Every class for every position is different from year-to-year. I haven't the time nor inclination to evaluate it for you or myself.

If you think top-20 (position) recruits are "projects" or just throwing away scholarships, I'm speechless. Have a nice day.

I have to confess, I'm more than just a little disappointed in this thread. Mostly at myself.

Every class for every position is different from year-to-year. I haven't the time nor inclination to evaluate it for you or myself.

If you think top-20 (position) recruits are "projects" or just throwing away scholarships, I'm speechless. Have a nice day.
Top 20 position recruits have different strengths every year. Dow was ranked around 200 overall. He hadn't played basketball until 2 years before he came to Purdue. He had 0 offensive skill out of high school. He is the definition of a project.

I tried to end this exchange 10 posts ago by agreeing to disagree on it, but you just can't let it go.

The only flaw here is that Painter is not a wait your turn type coach that many on here would have you believe.

You say that centers are "typically the slowest position to adjust" but all of Purdue's starting centers in the Painter era where big contributors their first year at Purdue. Look at the list.
Landry
JJ
Hammons
Haas
Haarms
Williams

Can you name me one center in the Painter era that came in, didn't play much their freshmen or sophomore year but ultimately became a big contributor. I don't know of one.

I think it's a hats off to Painter thing, but many also had significant flaws their freshmen years. In general, centers are the slowest to develop.

They also improved significantly from their freshman year. If a guy like Haas was in a position where he had 2 guys in front of him as a freshman, and it allowed him to redshirt....that would have been huge. As a freshman, he just got gassed and couldn't really play significant minutes. But we had to play him because we didn't have the depth.

Regardless of whether he's a project or not, this will be his 3rd year in the program and he's yet to contribute in games or see a sniff of action even when Haarms went down. And there are concerns about his ability to contribute offensively at all this next year based on his high school and AAU history. 247 recognized him as a "work in progress" on offense. So I guess I'd question whether he'll be considered a great use of scholarship over the next couple of years. If he performs this year, you could argue he is. If he just comes in as a serviceable backup on defense, I'd really question how good of a pick he was considering Tre was in the same class and was arguably the best player on the team last year. And the other players in that class have contributed.

Regardless of whether he's a project or not, this will be his 3rd year in the program and he's yet to contribute in games or see a sniff of action even when Haarms went down. And there are concerns about his ability to contribute offensively at all this next year based on his high school and AAU history. 247 recognized him as a "work in progress" on offense. So I guess I'd question whether he'll be considered a great use of scholarship over the next couple of years. If he performs this year, you could argue he is. If he just comes in as a serviceable backup on defense, I'd really question how good of a pick he was considering Tre was in the same class and was arguably the best player on the team last year. And the other players in that class have contributed.

Ok.

So what.

My points remain, unless there's something of substance you have to dispute them.

Top 20 position recruits have different strengths every year. Dow was ranked around 200 overall. He hadn't played basketball until 2 years before he came to Purdue. He had 0 offensive skill out of high school. He is the definition of a project.

I tried to end this exchange 10 posts ago by agreeing to disagree on it, but you just can't let it go.

Agree

Reactions: PurduePete98
Ok.

So what.

My points remain, unless there's something of substance you have to dispute them.

My point is, he may have been ranked as #19, but Tre was clearly underranked due to injury and his weight. His skillset is head and shoulders better than Dow. Dow was clearly named by 247 as an offensive project (work in progress). You may disagree with that, but the professional evaluators think differently. And the current results support that premise.

Reactions: BBG
I think it's a hats off to Painter thing, but many also had significant flaws their freshmen years. In general, centers are the slowest to develop.

They also improved significantly from their freshman year. If a guy like Haas was in a position where he had 2 guys in front of him as a freshman, and it allowed him to redshirt....that would have been huge. As a freshman, he just got gassed and couldn't really play significant minutes. But we had to play him because we didn't have the depth.

Haas started 11 games, played 15 minutes a game and averaged 7.6 points and 4.0 rebounds as a freshman on a team that finished 3rd in the B10. He only averaged 18 minutes over his Purdue career. He improved over the years but he was game ready as a freshman. He wouldn't have came to Purdue if he thought he would be 3rd on the depth chart.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT