ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler, Sasha and Dow......

I think it’s pretty obvious Painter doesn’t expect much out of Dow. He thought he was going to have another year of Williams and Haarms. He even tried to recruit over Dow with Dickinson and Kalkbrenner. Then he already has a 5 in 2021 with Furst.

I don't get this "recruiting over" mantra.

Every coach will always continue to get the best recruits at every position he can. If he has a stud (or 2) at the 5, he will continue to recruit another stud at the 5.

You're always looking to improve.

You're always looking for the next players to push your current players. That isn't "recruiting over" your existing. That's just life.

Reactions: bonefish1

Every coach will always continue to get the best recruits at every position he can. If he has a stud (or 2) at the 5, he will continue to recruit another stud at the 5.

You're always looking for the next players to push your current players. That isn't "recruiting over" your existing. That's just life.
LOL - can you imagine someone asking Saban if he’s recruiting over such and such player?

Reactions: Purdue85

Dow is going to be a RS Sophomore next year. We were supposed to have Tre and Haarms, so Dow wouldn’t have played. Painter tried very hard to land Dickinson and Kalkbrenner in this class. They likely wouldn’t have played much this coming year with Haarms back, but the following year the position would have been Tre and one of those two... Dow still wouldn’t have played. Then Tre leaves and Furst comes on board. That leaves the 5 spot with one of Dickinson or Kalkbrenner and Furst. Dow still doesn’t play.

Painter tried to have 4 centers on the roster for next season. With Furst committed, he would have had 4 centers on the roster the following season too. Do you think Painter actually thinks we need 4 centers? I’m sure he doesn’t, because it makes the roster incredibly imbalanced. My guess is he didn’t have Dow in his future plans, so he went out and got a 3rd string center anyways.

Neither of us know for sure Painter’s reasoning for having 4 centers, or what his future plans are for Dow. We are both purely guessing. We disagree, and that’s fine.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Dow is going to be a RS Sophomore next year. We were supposed to have Tre and Haarms, so Dow wouldn’t have played. Painter tried very hard to land Dickinson and Kalkbrenner in this class. They likely wouldn’t have played much this coming year with Haarms back, but the following year the position would have been Tre and one of those two... Dow still wouldn’t have played. Then Tre leaves and Furst comes on board. That leaves the 5 spot with one of Dickinson or Kalkbrenner and Furst. Dow still doesn’t play.

Painter tried to have 4 centers on the roster for next season. With Furst committed, he would have had 4 centers on the roster the following season too. Do you think Painter actually thinks we need 4 centers? I’m sure he doesn’t, because it makes the roster incredibly imbalanced. My guess is he didn’t have Dow in his future plans, so he went out and got a 3rd string center anyways.

Neither of us know for sure Painter’s reasoning for having 4 centers, or what his future plans are for Dow. We are both purely guessing. We disagree, and that’s fine.

Not sure what we're disagreeing on.

Coaches always "recruit over" players, if we're going to use that terminology. Coaches always look to get deeper, better, stronger.

Not sure what we're disagreeing on.

Coaches always "recruit over" players, if we're going to use that terminology. Coaches always look to get deeper, better, stronger.
Coaches generally don’t recruit to have 4 centers on the team at a time.

Coaches generally don’t recruit to have 4 centers on the team at a time.

"Generally"

Not sure if you've seen the nonsensical comments on the football forum about the number of WRs we have, but coaches ALWAYS try to get the best players they can.

As we've seen, sometimes that results in "unbalanced" recruiting classes, which results in unbalanced rosters.... like we have now. (Football AND basketball)

If you can get an elite player, you TAKE an elite player. It's no more complicated than that.

There's no doubt Dow will have to play now. I just believe given who we had on the roster prior to Haarms leaving, the 2020 and 2021 recruiting targets/commit, and Dow's low playing time, he wasn't a big part of the future plans.
I see about 3 maybe 4 ways of playing on D . 1 can play behind, 1 behind&side and 2 fronting the low post. Those that front play O on the perimeter and the other 2 low to mid post. Where Dow lands I dont know

"Generally"

Not sure if you've seen the nonsensical comments on the football forum about the number of WRs we have, but coaches ALWAYS try to get the best players they can.

As we've seen, sometimes that results in "unbalanced" recruiting classes, which results in unbalanced rosters.... like we have now. (Football AND basketball)

If you can get an elite player, you TAKE an elite player. It's no more complicated than that.
Football is different. With WR you can have 5 on the field at the same time if you wanted. Between Haarms, Tre, Dow, and Edey, only ONE of those players can be on the court at once. It’s highly likely Dow and Edey wouldn’t have played again next year. That will be Dow’s 3rd year in the program. If you aren’t playing after 3 year’s in the program, you likely aren’t going to ever play.

Having 4 players at Center DOES make our roster unbalanced (well 3 now that Haarms left).

I see about 3 maybe 4 ways of playing on D . 1 can play behind, 1 behind&side and 2 fronting the low post. Those that front play O on the perimeter and the other 2 low to mid post. Where Dow lands I dont know
I’m not following here...

I’m sure Painter will put Dow in his absolute best defensive scheme to succeed. However, Dow may not be capable of playing any of the defenses you outlined above.

I’m sure Painter will put Dow in his absolute best defensive scheme to succeed. However, Dow may not be capable of playing any of the defenses you outlined above.

I feel dizzy reading your posts. You're complaining about a coach potentially trying to have a roster that's:

5th year center
junior
redshirt sophomore
true freshman

How is that unfathomable to you? Centers are typically the slowest position to adjust to basketball. And there's thread after thread about how we're too small next season after losing Haarms.

And it's not like at the same time we're short on guards.....

That seems pretty damn smart to me.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I feel dizzy reading your posts. You're complaining about a coach potentially trying to have a roster that's:

5th year center
junior
redshirt sophomore
true freshman

How is that unfathomable to you? Centers are typically the slowest position to adjust to basketball.

Why would you have a position 4 deep? It’s highly likely two of those players won’t play. The point in this was to show Painter was recruiting over Dow, because imo, he doesn’t see Dow as having a big impact in the future.

Why would you have a position 4 deep? It’s highly likely two of those players won’t play. The point in this was to show Painter was recruiting over Dow, because imo, he doesn’t see Dow as having a big impact in the future.
You have 13 scholarships. It’s a position that requires the most development, and is also the most likely to require you to be 3 deep due to foul trouble. And you don’t ever want to get stuck without one.

I’d liken it more to QB in football.

You have 13 scholarships. It’s a position that requires the most development, and is also the most likely to require you to be 3 deep due to foul trouble. And you don’t ever want to get stuck without one.

I’d liken it more to QB in football.
I just don’t see the need for 4 players that can only play 1 position. I’m happy to agree to disagree on this though!

You can't just concoct leadership. Those 3 all have positive attributes, but didn't step forward last year with one of them an upperclassmen.

Painter's sounded pretty high on Mason/Gillis and their work ethic. Obviously doesn't equate to team leader on its own, but certainly a big part of it.

Hunter seems to be most realistic given his class and what we've seen from him.
I saw/spoke to an assistant coach tonight...he said that Gillis and Newman had the best work ethic of anyone on the team...he was very confident that both would be very successful during their time at Purdue in that both possess that mindset and work ethic that other great players had...refreshing to hear, and, encouraging as well.

I saw/spoke to an assistant coach tonight...he said that Gillis and Newman had the best work ethic of anyone on the team...he was very confident that both would be very successful during their time at Purdue in that both possess that mindset and work ethic that other great players had...refreshing to hear, and, encouraging as well.
Hopefully they rub off on the true freshmen!

I had heard something similar much earlier. It gave me hope that we will be better next year, and it worried me that some of the guys playing were not putting in the right amount of effort. Turns out that they weren’t.

I think all 3 of them will fight for most improved player next year......

Sasha in my mind is already starting to reach his potential and this year will take it to another level.

Dow is still needing the chance to prove his value and I think because of the Haarms exit, it opens the door for him to get more minutes and show just how athletic he is. He will clean the glass and block shots for sure on the defensive end and offensively as long as he passes well and rebounds without fouling is all he needs to do...... Love this kid and can't wait to see him give 110% effort this year and get rewarded for it.

Lastly, Wheeler.....many have given up on this young man, but I am exactly the opposite...I think he will be the most improved player this year and surprise all of you who are putting him down.

I think he will lock down the starting 4 spot and he will give the other team's 4 a nightmare match up because they will have to guard the outside shot as well as him driving to the basket and dunking on them as well as posting them up.

My thoughts are as follows:
Team Captains: Eastern, Wheeler and Hunter
Tre: Team MVP
Leading scorer: Hunter
DPOY: Eastern
Most Improved: Wheeler
Best Newcomer: Morton
6th man: Newman/Dow
Hardest Competitor: Gillis

Starting 5:
Eastern. if Eastern leaves then Thompson
Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Tre

This years team will be fun to watch and to get back to the point of my post...look out for Wheeler and Dow to really surprise and do very well this year.

Boiler Up!

I think this is Chris Reid's year.

5th year center
junior
redshirt sophomore
true freshman

How is that unfathomable to you? Centers are typically the slowest position to adjust to basketball. And there's thread after thread about how we're too small next season after losing Haarms.

The only flaw here is that Painter is not a wait your turn type coach that many on here would have you believe.

You say that centers are "typically the slowest position to adjust" but all of Purdue's starting centers in the Painter era where big contributors their first year at Purdue. Look at the list.
Landry
JJ
Hammons
Haas
Haarms
Williams

Can you name me one center in the Painter era that came in, didn't play much their freshmen or sophomore year but ultimately became a big contributor. I don't know of one.

Reactions: Schnelk
Here is what I am wondering, assuming Wheeler sticks around if he suddenly becomes the player we all hoped he would be, you have to wonder whether the reason he slumped was due to some outside influences of his own that are now no longer there.

I am NOT suggesting that is the case, but it will be something to ponder if he suddenly turns it around.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Football is different. With WR you can have 5 on the field at the same time if you wanted. Between Haarms, Tre, Dow, and Edey, only ONE of those players can be on the court at once. It’s highly likely Dow and Edey wouldn’t have played again next year. That will be Dow’s 3rd year in the program. If you aren’t playing after 3 year’s in the program, you likely aren’t going to ever play.

Having 4 players at Center DOES make our roster unbalanced (well 3 now that Haarms left).

Yes, football is different (I really don't think we need to recognize that).

In the past, we've seen 2 big men on the court at once. Painter didn't like the results this past season, but there was a glaring reason for that.

Unbalanced basketball rosters is a common situation in CBB, even though coaches try to avoid it.

Here is what I am wondering, assuming Wheeler sticks around if he suddenly becomes the player we all hoped he would be, you have to wonder whether the reason he slumped was due to some outside influences of his own that are now no longer there.

I am NOT suggesting that is the case, but it will be something to ponder if he suddenly turns it around.
I found it interesting that Brian said Purdue would consider over signing the 2021 class.

Yes, football is different (I really don't think we need to recognize that).

In the past, we've seen 2 big men on the court at once. Painter didn't like the results this past season, but there was a glaring reason for that.

Unbalanced basketball rosters is a common situation in CBB, even though coaches try to avoid it.
We are just going to have to agree to disagree lol.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree lol.

Gotcha.

I believe it was during the Dakich interview, Matt Painter talked about trying to play both bigs and didn't like the results. At times, he had success with Haarms and Haas (at that time, some fans on here were clamoring for more of that combo). Different team chemistry, but the type of team chemistry we're re-establishing.

All I see at this time as possible ways of playing when Tre (for whatever reason) is not playing. On D, Dow he can play behind and/or side a low post player. Edey, he will have to play behind I expect. Wheeler/Gillis...if called upon I look for them to front the low post based upon someone Purdue really wants to defend down low. On O, if Dow is playing he can go to the blocks and possibly be able to score at mid post. My biggest concern with Dow on O is handling the ball. Edey is probably very similar to Dow on O at this time. Gillis/Wheeler if chosen to play a 5 will most likely be behind the arc on O. If they can really stroke it and yet defend a a decent rate, they can flip the size issue in defending.

All of this is a guess since we really don't know how the players progress upto the season starting

"Generally"

Agreed. You take the best possible player you can get, regardless of position. With injuries, transfers, etc, you can't predict what your team will look like year to year so you just try to load up on the best talent and work with what you have.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Agreed. You take the best possible player you can get, regardless of position. With injuries, transfers, etc, you can't predict what your team will look like year to year so you just try to load up on the best talent and work with what you have.
Were Dow and Edey the best possible players we could get for the 5 spot?

I still believe in Wheels. I'm not a "light bulb goes on" guy, but I like his form and his shot looks good coming off his hands (unlike NE which was cringe worthy). Maybe it's just a matter of him getting up 1000 jumpers a day and seeing it go in more often. Then playing to his strengths (running the floor, hitting the glass) instead of trying to do things that aren't (dribble penetration).

Define "best".

An example of my point: At the time of his recruitment, many widely thought Francis Okoro was Painter's #1 priority. He went to Oregon... Just transferred to Saint Louis U.

SLU.

The Billikens.

Unless something changes, he'll likely be an "okay" performer. At SLU.

There's a difference in what you want and what you get.
But, to answer your question, probably not. Both projects, which I'm not a fan of because they rarely work out.

Define "best".

An example of my point: At the time of his recruitment, many widely thought Francis Okoro was Painter's #1 priority. He went to Oregon... Just transferred to Saint Louis U.

SLU.

The Billikens.

Unless something changes, he'll likely be an "okay" performer. At SLU.
That’s kinda my point. Outside of Tre, none of the centers Painter recruited in 2018 have done anything in college. Maybe we recruited the wrong guys?

There's a difference in what you want and what you get.
But, to answer your question, probably not. Both projects, which I'm not a fan of because they rarely work out.
I get what the hope is, but Dow and Edey had around 4 years combined basketball experience entering college...

I don’t think we need to hand out scholarships just to fill up our roster.

I had heard something similar much earlier. It gave me hope that we will be better next year, and it worried me that some of the guys playing were not putting in the right amount of effort. Turns out that they weren’t.
Same...I had heard something along those same lines, but, it was affirmation of what I had heard, and, of what I had suspected as well regarding the latter.

Gotcha.

I believe it was during the Dakich interview, Matt Painter talked about trying to play both bigs and didn't like the results. At times, he had success with Haarms and Haas (at that time, some fans on here were clamoring for more of that combo). Different team chemistry, but the type of team chemistry we're re-establishing.
WE NEED THE TWIN TOWERS !!!!!

WE NEED THE TWIN TOWERS !!!!!
Haarms/Williams games did not work well together...but, that was more on Haarms than anyone/anything.

If Haarms had put the time in and truly developed his game, there were minutes for him and a spot on the floor for sure...the guy had every opportunity that anyone could ask for...and then some for that matter...he was in the program for four years...yet, he still had no back to the basket game, he was not able to stretch the defense (at least not to the extent that by that point he should have been able to if he had put in the time and work), he never developed into a good rebounder, and he could not put the ball on the floor or make a post-entry pass...had he done some of those things, he would have played more...much more...but he did not, nor was he apparently interested in doing so.

That’s kinda my point. Outside of Tre, none of the centers Painter recruited in 2018 have done anything in college. Maybe we recruited the wrong guys?

Re: "Outside of Tre..." ............. Maybe. You seem to be eager to declare that, after one RS year and one year behind Tre and Matt. And the "Outside of Tre" is a big exception, brother!

To be clear, I don't know what the future holds for Dow. He might never make it, or he might turn into a solid player. Time will tell. Painter has a pretty good track record with big men.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT