ADVERTISEMENT

Whats happen with Furst

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
When he comes into the game , I feel a huge shift of confidence in our opponents, maybe "relief" the Maple šŸ is taking a break , however, Furst just seems " quiet ", any insight from you guys ?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
On the same note for people clamoring for Colvin, why arenā€™t we seeing more Berg in game situations? Similar argument imo. Though we havenā€™t seen much of Berg to have a proper comparison.

Reactions: GregJM24
When he comes into the game , I feel a huge shift of confidence in our opponents, maybe "relief" the Maple šŸ is taking a break , however, Furst just seems " quiet ", any insight from you guys ?
Furst would benefit from Gillis' example. Work on his outside shot and focus on rebounding. He obviously isn't going to hit almost 50 percent from three but if he was someone who hit mid 30s from three and was a threat to nail one along with playing good defense and snatching more rebounds I think he'd play more.

But right now he's a guy who gives your other bigs a few spot minutes of rest and feels like he's capable of more.

Reactions: northside100
Furst has seemed to regress year over year.

As big of a body as he has, even if he was not scoring, he could provide some rim protection and rebounding. However, he does not provide good defense, and he is not a good rebounder. Not sure why though.

I think he is the biggest mystery on this team. Probably the single highest rated recruit on the team coming out of high school. I keep hearing how he loves Purdue and won't transfer after this year, but I can't help but think he is not highly motivated to get better. Just seems to me if you knew you were only going to play about 4 minutes a game, that those 4 minutes would contain some serious effort, but I don't see it.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
I wish Berg could take all of Furst minutes and then some. But Berg is probabaly be even more green on defense than colvin and that is why he doesnt play. Bergs physical tools are far superior to Fursts for the center position but the game is probabaly still way too fast for him especially against top tier teams. No one fears Furst at the 5 on the defensive end but at least he is in the right position most of the time.

That being said I would still applaude Painter for trying Berg in real game time (beside blow outs) to see how he does because you dont really know unless you try him out. Maybe Berg could get some real minutes against Wisconsin or next Friday but probably wont happen.

Reactions: Emartin70287
I think he is the biggest mystery on this team. Probably the single highest rated recruit on the team coming out of high school. I keep hearing how he loves Purdue and won't transfer after this year, but I can't help but think he is not highly motivated to get better. Just seems to me if you knew you were only going to play about 4 minutes a game, that those 4 minutes would contain some serious effort, but I don't see it.
he seems to me as a guy playing BBall as a hobby or as a means to an end in an academic sense

On the same note for people clamoring for Colvin, why arenā€™t we seeing more Berg in game situations? Similar argument imo. Though we havenā€™t seen much of Berg to have a proper comparison.
Umm no way. He has only played in garbage time. No way he plays other then garbage time if we happen to rout someone ( as we should vs 16 seed).

Reactions: Roeder
Some damned amazing analysis from seeing 2 to 3 minutes a game, but watch closer.

Furst should get more rebounds? Fact is, Furst already gets more rebounds per minute than Gillis or Kaufman-Renn. Overall, through 30 games, Furst leads with 0.29 rebounds per minute over Kaufman-Renn (0.25) and Gillis (0.13). In Big Ten play, itā€™s Furst (0.31) by an even wider margin over Kaufman-Renn (0.24) and Gillis (0.18). He shouldā€™ve gotten more of their forward minutes, because Kaufman-Renn tended to disappear and Gillis is short and less effective inside.

His defense? I always hear moans for any layups near Furst while the same fans go silent as Edey allows thrice as many, although naturally none of us want him to foul. Furst is actually mobile enough to take on drives lost by teammates but often gets burned when they fail to recover.

He is, after all, a forward, and thatā€™s where he needed more minutes. Playing with Edey, he even couldā€™ve drifted outside and taken a shot once in a while.

Whatever, I wouldnā€™t trade any of them.

To me, it's clear every year on which players work on their game during the off season. He is not one of them.

Some damned amazing analysis from seeing 2 to 3 minutes a game, but watch closer.

Furst should get more rebounds? Fact is, Furst already gets more rebounds per minute than Gillis or Kaufman-Renn. Overall, through 30 games, Furst leads with 0.29 rebounds per minute over Kaufman-Renn (0.25) and Gillis (0.13). In Big Ten play, itā€™s Furst (0.31) by an even wider margin over Kaufman-Renn (0.24) and Gillis (0.18). He shouldā€™ve gotten more of their forward minutes, because Kaufman-Renn tended to disappear and Gillis is short and less effective inside.

His defense? I always hear moans for any layups near Furst while the same fans go silent as Edey allows thrice as many, although naturally none of us want him to foul. Furst is actually mobile enough to take on drives lost by teammates but often gets burned when they fail to recover.

He is, after all, a forward, and thatā€™s where he needed more minutes. Playing with Edey, he even couldā€™ve drifted outside and taken a shot once in a while.

Per minute stats doesn't mean much when you are playing five minutes or less a game.

Reactions: Schnelk
Kind of kid you'd want your daughter to marry.

1) serious girlfriend
2) wants to go to med school
3) faith & prayer life are pretty important to him

The kid is going somewhere, just not the NBA. That doesn't mean he doesn't bust his butt when he out there, he's just maxed out with the amount of time and effort he's willing/able to devote.

Gary & Lotus raised him right. He'll be a hell of an ambassador for Purdue.

Heā€™s not really athletic nor can he shoot. Thatā€™s not a good combo to be a starting player on a big ten team.

Heā€™s not really athletic nor can he shoot. Thatā€™s not a good combo to be a starting player on a big ten team.
Hes athletic enough, and he used to be able to shoot well as a freshman. The problem is he is worse now. He used to start over Mason, and was better than TKR as a freshman as well. He probably just hasn't put in the work, a career in basketball isnt for everyone.

Kind of kid you'd want your daughter to marry.

1) serious girlfriend
2) wants to go to med school
3) faith & prayer life are pretty important to him

The kid is going somewhere, just not the NBA. That doesn't mean he doesn't bust his butt when he out there, he's just maxed out with the amount of time and effort he's willing/able to devote.

Gary & Lotus raised him right. He'll be a hell of an ambassador for Purdue.
Agree with this. Point blank, Furst is exactly the type of guy you want on the roster. It's easy to only look at stats and productivity to determine a kid's value. There are so many other factors that matter. By all accounts, Furst is a great teammate. He doesn't complain about his lack of PT and encourages the guys who are on the court. Would I trade him for a prima donna like Mbako just to put more points on the board? Hell no.

In this case, stats don't lie.

I won't tell you the source, but someone with intimate knowledge of Painter says, "CMP says he's an animal as a rebounder."

Take the layup last night, when he fouled. It was TKR that overplayed and allowed the guy to go down the lane. Caleb was just trying to help.

Did you see the segment where he set about 4 picks in 15 seconds? That's not the work of someone who slacks off.

I can tell your from personal experience, he wants to contribute as much as he can, and he works to that end.

Finally, you'll see him shine when he gets a chance next year. Right now, he gives the NPOY a couple minutes breather in each half.

If Caleb wanted he could gather a lot of minutes by improving his skill.

This board never ceases to amaze me. For all the talk about ā€œPurdue guysā€ and ā€œdoing it the right wayā€ and culture, here we have a guy who exemplifies that; from all accounts is a great teammate, has not pouted about playing time, and contrary to some comments here nobody knows how hard he works in practice or in the offseason, and yet people want to shit on this guy. Furst has more athletic ability and basketball skills than all the clowns and wannabe coaches on this message board. Seriously, threads like this are no better than the trash you make fun of DGLā€™s mom for spewing.

This board never ceases to amaze me. For all the talk about ā€œPurdue guysā€ and ā€œdoing it the right wayā€ and culture, here we have a guy who exemplifies that; from all accounts is a great teammate, has not pouted about playing time, and contrary to some comments here nobody knows how hard he works in practice or in the offseason, and yet people want to shit on this guy. Furst has more athletic ability and basketball skills than all the clowns and wannabe coaches on this message board. Seriously, threads like this are no better than the trash you make fun of DGLā€™s mom for spewing.
It's a discussion about someone who came in with a high ceiling , Mr. Basketball, we can all discuss with grace including yourself, this thread was put up with good intention..

I see it like this...

1. Zach is the best center in college basketball since Patrick Ewing and David Robinson and is in incredible shape. Think about that. He has to be on the floor and can play 35-40 mins at a high level if needed. Just incredible for someone his size.

2. Mason is the best compliment to Zach at the 4. No argument here. He's proved it.

3. Painter vowed to avenge the FDU loss by getting more scoring on the floor and he's stuck to it by playing TKR the remaining mins. No matter how clunky it is, I admire that Painter is sticking with it by starting the guy who can get cooking in the low post every game this year. TKR playing this much should be a nice option if needed in March. He's much more comfortable out there on both ends now.

4. Caleb is simply the odd man out. It had to be someone. I for one am proud of how he's handled it, and by staying positive I think his best moments as a Boilermaker are yet to come, maybe even some big moments in the tourney when this team makes a run.

I bet Painter could tell what his mystery is....

Caleb Furst has been doing what has been requested For the team. Letā€™s see what he does next season as Edey will be gone. Maybe his focus has changed, maybe not. We just donā€™t know.

Reactions: Flot
Furst is athletic, it stinks for him that in 4-5 minutes a night people expect him to kill it, next year heā€™ll get his shot, I think heā€™ll do fine, he wonā€™t be a Edey so people will be down on him, I can see him averaging like 9 and 6 next year, maybe he wonā€™t, I truly donā€™t know. I said this last night, if Gillis wants to play a Covid year Iā€™m not telling him it canā€™t be at Purdue, somehow I make it work, doubt Painter does that though.

Agree with this. Point blank, Furst is exactly the type of guy you want on the roster. It's easy to only look at stats and productivity to determine a kid's value. There are so many other factors that matter. By all accounts, Furst is a great teammate. He doesn't complain about his lack of PT and encourages the guys who are on the court. Would I trade him for a prima donna like Mbako just to put more points on the board? Hell no.
I'd take one Caleb over 5 Shannon's, 100 Mbakos & 1,000 DGLs. Makes me proud to be a Boiler.

I'd take one Caleb over 5 Shannon's, 100 Mbakos & 1,000 DGLs. Makes me proud to be a Boiler.

everything I have read or heard is that Caleb is a very good person and very bright. He is a very good athlete that can be a very good and important player next year if he chooses. Doing that will require a bit more skill on the offensive side. If he doesn't improve those areas he will still be a really good person that is very bright. He can get minutes next year and be important, but his ceiling is higher "if" he wants to reach his potential

Caleb Furst is a Boilermaker through and through! I want him on the team more than anyone who will be in the portal for next season.
Matt is not going to throw Caleb under the bus. Caleb controls his stay for four years whether on the team or more focus on med school? Caleb is a great representative of Purdue and THAT is all those players owe to the fans. They owe more to the coaches and other players as far as their play, but we are just fans who hope each player reaches his goal...whatever it is

Caleb Furst is a Boilermaker through and through! I want him on the team more than anyone who will be in the portal for next season.
Purdue wonā€™t pick up anyone in the portal, only intrigue would be Gillis if he elects to play next year, I donā€™t see why he wouldnā€™t want to play a Covid year and make money for a year. If he does my guess would be ND, however, if he really wants to play at Purdue it would be hard saying no to him.

Reactions: mediaexpert
Per minute stats doesn't mean much when you are playing five minutes or less a game.

Actual game stats donā€™t mean much, but fansā€™ observations inside those same three minutes do? Yeah, right.

Iā€™ll take the guy who was Indiana Mr. Basketball and Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year, who chose Purdue over Michigan State, Ohio State, North Carolina and Virginia, and who already showed what he can do in the Big Ten when not pigeon-holed out of position to support the two-time National Player of the Year.

I wish Furst would be more aggressive on D and use some of those five fouls he has to give. We need a rim protector when Edey is out and Furst could provide that if he would lay out a couple of guys on drives to the hoop.

Matt is not going to throw Caleb under the bus. Caleb controls his stay for four years whether on the team or more focus on med school? Caleb is a great representative of Purdue and THAT is all those players owe to the fans. They owe more to the coaches and other players as far as their play, but we are just fans who hope each player reaches his goal...whatever it is
I know Iā€™m probably going in the deep end of the pool on this. Now with players getting paid on a variety of ways, being critical is part of the territory. Iā€™ve changed my attitude on this as has the whole big time college players world has also changed.

I wish Furst would be more aggressive on D and use some of those five fouls he has to give. We need a rim protector when Edey is out and Furst could provide that if he would lay out a couple of guys on drives to the hoop.
Donā€™t you think we already give up enough ā€œand 1sā€ per game? šŸ˜‚

Reactions: Dandelion1972
I know Iā€™m probably going in the deep end of the pool on this. Now with players getting paid on a variety of ways, being critical is part of the territory. Iā€™ve changed my attitude on this as has the whole big time college players world has also changed.
I understand that...especially if you are really contributing to player in particular. I'm just a John Purdue person and so I really have no meaningful input into amu player. That said...some of the NIL companies that invest a lot may reevaluate their stance should a certain player not perform as desired.

Furst and Morton are both playing the roles they have been given. Iā€™m confident if given 20+ minutes you would see him put up some decent stats.

Furst is pre med. he reminds me of another Purdue power forward who used his high school achievements to get a scholarship and then proceeded to get an engineering degree inn 4 years.

Not every player on our team has aspirations of playing in the NBA.

As for next year, I see Catchings, Jacobson and Burgess all getting more time than Berg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT