ADVERTISEMENT

Whats happen with Furst

Furst and Morton are both playing the roles they have been given. Iā€™m confident if given 20+ minutes you would see him put up some decent stats.

Furst is pre med. he reminds me of another Purdue power forward who used his high school achievements to get a scholarship and then proceeded to get an engineering degree inn 4 years.

Not every player on our team has aspirations of playing in the NBA.

As for next year, I see Catchings, Jacobson and Burgess all getting more time than Berg.
Matt Kiefer

Furst and Morton are both playing the roles they have been given. Iā€™m confident if given 20+ minutes you would see him put up some decent stats.

Furst is pre med. he reminds me of another Purdue power forward who used his high school achievements to get a scholarship and then proceeded to get an engineering degree inn 4 years.

Not every player on our team has aspirations of playing in the NBA.

As for next year, I see Catchings, Jacobson and Burgess all getting more time than Berg.
Next year we should be a get out and run team with Smith, Loyer, Heide, Colvin, & the freshmen. If MP tries to plug anyone into the slot the 2x NPOY has filled, it's going to be a long season.

Actual game stats donā€™t mean much, but fansā€™ observations inside those same three minutes do? Yeah, right.

Iā€™ll take the guy who was Indiana Mr. Basketball and Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year, who chose Purdue over Michigan State, Ohio State, North Carolina and Virginia, and who already showed what he can do in the Big Ten when not pigeon-holed out of position to support the two-time National Player of the Year.
I guess I'll take the guys starting and getting significant minutes to the guy who's, ya know, not.

And no actual game stats don't mean much when the sample sizes are so far apart.

I guess I'll take the guys starting and getting significant minutes to the guy who's, ya know, not.

And no actual game stats don't mean much when the sample sizes are so far apart.
He's a center. Trying to play 4 because of Zach.
Not really that tough of concept unless you just don't want to see.

I know Iā€™m probably going in the deep end of the pool on this. Now with players getting paid on a variety of ways, being critical is part of the territory. Iā€™ve changed my attitude on this as has the whole big time college players world has also changed.
How much is Furst making? I don't know. Is it public knowledge?

What samples small is how all the others rebound next to Furst and Edey. Furst has 45 rebounds in 145 minutes against the Big Ten through 19 games as a junior. Thatā€™s 12.4 rebounds per 40 minutes against our most physical opponents. Edey is the only Boilermaker rebounding at a better rate with 244 rebounds in 622 minutes of Big Ten play, projecting to 15.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. Well behind them are Kaufman-Renn (9.8 with 81 in 322 minutes), Gillis (7.4 with 76 in 411 minutes), Smith (7.0 with 119 in 681 minutes), Heide (6.1 with 37 in 242 minutes), Jones (3.9 with 55 in 568 minutes), Morton (3.1 with 18 in 229 minutes) and Loyer (2.6 with 33 in 506 minutes). Apparently they need to focus, work harder, be more athletic and get much more physical so they can rebound against our toughest foes as well as Furst does, especially given all their extra minutes.

What samples small is how all the others rebound next to Furst and Edey. Furst has 45 rebounds in 145 minutes against the Big Ten through 19 games as a junior. Thatā€™s 12.4 rebounds per 40 minutes against our most physical opponents. Edey is the only Boilermaker rebounding at a better rate with 244 rebounds in 622 minutes of Big Ten play, projecting to 15.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. Well behind them are Kaufman-Renn (9.8 with 81 in 322 minutes), Gillis (7.4 with 76 in 411 minutes), Smith (7.0 with 119 in 681 minutes), Heide (6.1 with 37 in 242 minutes), Jones (3.9 with 55 in 568 minutes), Morton (3.1 with 18 in 229 minutes) and Loyer (2.6 with 33 in 506 minutes). Apparently they need to focus, work harder, be more athletic and get much more physical so they can rebound against our toughest foes as well as Furst does, especially given all their extra minutes.
I don't know if you're related to Furst, or dating him, or just have a crush on the dude but if you think Furst is only slightly less great at rebounding than Edey, you're definitely not operating in reality.

Of course, rebounding is also not the only consideration when deciding who plays what minutes. I'm sorry your favorite player isn't getting the playing time you want him to, but he's done nothing to move ahead of anyone playing more than him.

How much is Furst making? I don't know. Is it public knowledge?
I have no idea. Just saying players now being paid whatever they get has changed the way I view them. I may be alone. I consider them as semi professionals and being able to be critical on their play is on the table.

I saw the IU basketball team got booed at home at the half against Nebraska. They played poorly and deserved it. I would have not had that opinion a few years ago. NIL has changed all of this for me.

Reactions: tjreese
I have no idea. Just saying players now being paid whatever they get has changed the way I view them. I may be alone. I consider them as semi professionals and being able to be critical on their play is on the table.

I saw the IU basketball team got booed at home at the half against Nebraska. They played poorly and deserved it. I would have not had that opinion a few years ago. NIL has changed all of this for me.
I hate it...would have preferred some set amount of stipend, but not this step into the NBA arena and wage war.

Reactions: SKYDOG

I watched that game, IU wasnā€™t hustling that first half, they deserved to be booed, actually have played better since that happened.

I'm very sympathetic to your viewpoint. I was opposed to NIL because of all of the benefits that I felt athletes already received, especially from P5 schools. So far, it has worked better than I expected. (It helped persuade Zack to return.) But it's still early and big topics haven't yet been explored. I have no confidence that the NCAA will fix anything.

I still have a hard time ragging on the players. Some old habits die hard with me. When they play badly or lose a game, no one feels worse than they do. But they will now get feedback from the marketplace along with their coaches and fans. That double-edged sword thing.

NCAA could have done that 20 to 30 years ago but they were too busy penalizing programs and students for car rides in the rain.

or serving bagels WITH cream cheese spread instead of plain.....GASP!

"Miss Hargrove? Take a letter addressed to the President of Cleveland State University.....Dear to Whom it May concern.....you are hereby notified...."

03220317-b9f2-4d00-9e2b-d78c196953fd_text.gif

I am really rooting for Caleb.
He hustles while in.
I hope he returns and starts. A more up tempo style will help him.
But it should be noted that Caleb usually replaces Edey.
With Edey out rebounds are easier to come by. IMO

I'm very sympathetic to your viewpoint. I was opposed to NIL because of all of the benefits that I felt athletes already received, especially from P5 schools. So far, it has worked better than I expected. (It helped persuade Zack to return.) But it's still early and big topics haven't yet been explored. I have no confidence that the NCAA will fix anything.

I still have a hard time ragging on the players. Some old habits die hard with me. When they play badly or lose a game, no one feels worse than they do. But they will now get feedback from the marketplace along with their coaches and fans. That double-edged sword thing.
Iā€™m fearful that highly paid college players wonā€™t be playing for the love of the game and the college experience and degree, rather than just getting paid. We see that in professional sports now.

I am really rooting for Caleb.
He hustles while in.
I hope he returns and starts. A more up tempo style will help him.
But it should be noted that Caleb usually replaces Edey.
With Edey out rebounds are easier to come by. IMO
The game and minutes available should help Caleb get time on the court. However, to begin to come close to his athletic ability he must develop more skill. If he does that people will see great improvement and naturally some will think it was just minutes, but we should all know by watching him. Kid can really be good...if willing to pay the price

Here we go as Dartmouth wants to unionize the basketball program.

Maybe itā€™s not a bad idea in the Ivy League, do they even get scholarships? With NIL this wonā€™t happen, at least I doubt it, it would probably hurt more players than help now.

I saw that. Will they strike if their demands aren't met? Will they demand pensions? Paid vacations? Time-and-a-half for overtime practices? If a player isn't getting the playing time he thinks he deserves, can he demand arbitration? Will playing time be determined by seniority?

• Love
Reactions: tjreese

Iā€™ll all for unionizing college basketball players and then pay them the say wages union employees without a college education are paid. And since they are employees, take away their scholarships and make them pay for everything including heath care, weight and conditioning, transportation to games, housing , food, personal trainers and everything else union employees pay for. Make playing basketball their job and make them pay for their education and everything else.

Iā€™ll all for unionizing college basketball players and then pay them the say wages union employees without a college education are paid. And since they are employees, take away their scholarships and make them pay for everything including heath care, weight and conditioning, transportation to games, housing , food, personal trainers and everything else union employees pay for. Make playing basketball their job and make them pay for their education and everything else.
The professional union players donā€™t pay for all that. Health care, trainers, transportation, lodging, and food are paid for by the professional organizations . Donā€™t think what you proposed will fly too far. If they want to get paid and unionize then I would at least like them to pay for their room and board while on campus.

The professional union players donā€™t pay for all that. Health care, trainers, transportation, lodging, and food are paid for by the professional organizations . Donā€™t think what you proposed will fly too far. If they want to get paid and unionize then I would at least like them to pay for their room and board while on campus.
I know it would never fly - especially with the players. Iā€™m just tired of giving student athletes millions of dollars when other students in other parts of university academia and research help generate just as much revenue cAnd recognition for the school. I was part of the research that went into Orville Reddinbacherā€™s popcorn! I believe those students who do research are as deserving as athletes.

But like I said, my ideas will never fly.

My other idea would be to pay them as if they were entertainers and had 18 performances. And let them take our money much like the Harlem Globe Trotters would and let them worry About paying for their education, food and housing.

After all, What they provide is entertainment, right?

I know it would never fly - especially with the players. Iā€™m just tired of giving student athletes millions of dollars when other students in other parts of university academia and research help generate just as much revenue cAnd recognition for the school. I was part of the research that went into Orville Reddinbacherā€™s popcorn! I believe those students who do research are as deserving as athletes.

But like I said, my ideas will never fly.

My other idea would be to pay them as if they were entertainers and had 18 performances. And let them take our money much like the Harlem Globe Trotters would and let them worry About paying for their education, food and housing.

After all, What they provide is entertainment, right?
Agree that players provide entertainment. Also if students that do some type of research that makes something better then maybe they should be compensated. Everyone wants to be paid just donā€™t know where all the money would come from.

Agree that players provide entertainment. Also if students that do some type of research that makes something better then maybe they should be compensated. Everyone wants to be paid just donā€™t know where all the money would come from.
When originally proposed and approved, the BIG 10 Network was supposed to be so much more than just sports.

I also wish some college presidents would stand up to Fox and ESPN and say , we donā€™t need or want your revenue and go back to just playing college sports!

And Iā€™d get rid of the luxury suites and add more seats to arenas and stadiums.

With Furst I think it is a minutes issue. He is playing half as many minutes this year s he did last year, and it is largely because he is the primary 5 behind Edey. TKR has shifted to the 4 primarily instead of the 5 and grabbed many of those minutes. Painter very clearly has defined positions down low this year. Edey is going to get 32 minutes because, well, he's Zach freaking Edey. TKR and Gillis are going to split the four, so that only leaves a limited amount for Furst.

When Edey is gone next year I think things could be interesting. He and Berg are different bigs from Edey and I think you could see Purdue stretching defenses at all five spots with them. I can honstly see him having a huge year next year.

Kind of kid you'd want your daughter to marry.

1) serious girlfriend
2) wants to go to med school
3) faith & prayer life are pretty important to him

The kid is going somewhere, just not the NBA. That doesn't mean he doesn't bust his butt when he out there, he's just maxed out with the amount of time and effort he's willing/able to devote.

Gary & Lotus raised him right. He'll be a hell of an ambassador for Purdue.
The faith is strong in this one.

Next year we should be a get out and run team with Smith, Loyer, Heide, Colvin, & the freshmen. If MP tries to plug anyone into the slot the 2x NPOY has filled, it's going to be a long season.
I think our backcourt and 4ā€™s will be our strength and MP knows that. It will be a very fun but different game style to watch. Looking forward to it.

Teaching assistants are employees. Part of their compensation is a tuition waiver. We had healthcare included as a benefit. We also had access to the co-rec. Benefits vary depending on the position.

Do you think pro athletes pay for post-game spreads in the locker room? Do they pay for the trainers who provide treatment?

Ok Iā€™ll agree not all union employees make the same amount of money. could we see our basketball players go on strike if their demands are not met? Could we see schools going to Corec and finding scabs to cross the picket lines?

Ok Iā€™ll agree not all union employees make the same amount of money. could we see our basketball players go on strike if their demands are not met? Could we see schools going to Corec and finding scabs to cross the picket lines?
Funny to think about all the potential scenarios, but I think what would happen is most schools would just stop participating in sports. We'd be just like the University of Chicago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT