ADVERTISEMENT

We won but.......

Summy1

Junior
Jun 17, 2015
Yes, Purdue beat Northwestern but this game shouldn't have been this close. Hammons had a nice game and the bench actually outscored the starters. Didn't get much from Davis or Thompson. Northwestern just kept hanging around. Why can't Purdue put teams away?

Because putting teams away is not what shoot for at Purdue. We just "want to be in position to win at the end of the end." Both the football and basketball programs have lacked a killer instinct for some time.

+1.......Playing well and to our potential should be our goal. We did not do that tonight. Against better teams, this type of performance won't work.

Yes, Purdue beat Northwestern but this game shouldn't have been this close. Hammons had a nice game and the bench actually outscored the starters. Didn't get much from Davis or Thompson. Northwestern just kept hanging around. Why can't Purdue put teams away?
Cause we need a guard like McIntosh. Watched him play in High school,he`s tough

McIntosh wouldn't be McIntosh at Purdue. He'd be expected to fill the same role that PJ and Hill do - get the ball to the bigs and try not to turn it over.
Or, exactly how Octeus played ... just like McIntosh played tonight.

Reactions: tjreese
We WON! That is all that matters.

I hate it when comments like this are made.

Obviously we're all happy Purdue won, but simply looking at the final score without assessing ways to improve is asinine. The fact is Purdue hasn't played well at all for about 5 halves of basketball right now.

I really hope CMP and the players don't have the "we won, that's all that matters" approach.

Obviously we're all happy Purdue won, but simply looking at the final score without assessing ways to improve is asinine. The fact is Purdue hasn't played well at all for about 5 halves of basketball right now.

I really hope CMP and the players don't have the "we won, that's all that matters" approach.

Exactly, I hate when people say that too. We won but it wasn't a good win for Purdue. Have to do much better in order to beat better teams.

Reactions: rasrar
Cause we need a guard like McIntosh. Watched him play in High school,he`s tough
McIntosh impressed the hell out of me. Gosh I hope he is a senior! That kid can play, and he hit some circus shots I didn't think could be made. He carried NW on his back.
:cool:

Exactly, I hate when people say that too. We won but it wasn't a good win for Purdue. Have to do much better in order to beat better teams.
Every team has off games. Good, even great, teams have off games and still win. And past performance is rarely a true indicator of future performance. Bottom line, how we played tonight has little bearing on Saturday night. We've had plenty of games this year where we've played great after a poor performance and vice versa.

"We're all happy Purdue won".....................really? LOL

Reactions: Boiler_HD and BBG
McIntosh wouldn't be McIntosh at Purdue. He'd be expected to fill the same role that PJ and Hill do - get the ball to the bigs and try not to turn it over.
Another comment I don't understand. Setting up a straw man and then railing against it. Very poor debate technique by the way, and tends to show that you seem to carry a low estimation of the basketball team. You attempt to make any negative comment you can to show how terrible they are. Are you really sure you are a Purdue fan? You seem to be trying hard to discourage any potential recruit. What gives with this sh-t storm you are posting in multiple threads?

McIntosh would be a featured player here. He would not have to work nearly as hard to get his shot. If we had a reliable outside shooter, it would change the way people defend us in the second half. Cline may well prove that, as he becomes more of a defender and carries his outside shooting along. Why do you think Cline is on the court at the end of most games?

Sure would be nice if hill wasn't so hesitant to shoot a 3. It really limits the offense when he's in

Every team has off games. Good, even great, teams have off games and still win. And past performance is rarely a true indicator of future performance. Bottom line, how we played tonight has little bearing on Saturday night. We've had plenty of games this year where we've played great after a poor performance and vice versa.

To an extent. It's concerning when you plays 5 straight poor halves of basketball though. I hope we play much, much better on Saturday. We need to.

Glad we won. Definitely room for improvement, but let's take the win and see what CMP and company can come up with for Saturday.

Reactions: mathboy
Sure would be nice if hill wasn't so hesitant to shoot a 3. It really limits the offense when he's in
No, its good. If he knows he probably won't make it, then why should he shoot it? I can see where the timely three could help but that's just not Johnny

McIntosh impressed the hell out of me. Gosh I hope he is a senior! That kid can play, and he hit some circus shots I didn't think could be made. He carried NW on his back.
Collins doesn't get the job when he did and McIntosh is probably a Boiler...and how different a 6'3" guard that can drive, shoot and pass might make the Boilers

Reactions: mathboy

Northwestern was a trap game for Purdue. They are not a bad ball club. Northwestern lost @ MD by 6 in ot. They lost @ Iowa by 14. I'm sure coach Painter and the team are trying to improve. You suggesting otherwise is what is asinine.

Reactions: PebbleUO2 and BBG
I don't disagree that we can play better than we have done lately, but at what point do you just quit groaning about it every game and accept the fact that we are disappointed in a 21-6, top 20 team and that's not a bad problem to have? Doesn't the hand-wringing on here after every game get tiresome to anyone? Does the program have to fall to the depths that the football team is at before we can appreciate a solid conference win at all? If someone had told us at the end of 2014 that we would be here 16 months later, we'd have all taken it and been happy.

I don't think it's wrong to want more but I don't think it's wrong to appreciate what we have either because what we have isn't bad. There's more middle ground than what's been reflected on this board lately.

Last edited:

"We won, but it wasn't a good win for Purdue". Hmmmm - every win is good win for Purdue, just as every win is good win for Duke, Villanova, Maryland and every other team in college basketball. Would Maryland escaping from Wiscy at home been a good win? Think they would say yes today after now sitting with an extra check in the loss column? Yep. Complain, moan, whine about every defiency you can find in this team, and yes they have them, and remain miserable. Or enjoy the ride---I'll choose the later. It's not blinders; its not ignorance...its just healthier. There...some wisdom for you today...enjoy it.

"We won, but it wasn't a good win for Purdue". Hmmmm - every win is good win for Purdue, just as every win is good win for Duke, Villanova, Maryland and every other team in college basketball. Would Maryland escaping from Wiscy at home been a good win? Think they would say yes today after now sitting with an extra check in the loss column? Yep. Complain, moan, whine about every defiency you can find in this team, and yes they have them, and remain miserable. Or enjoy the ride---I'll choose the later. It's not blinders; its not ignorance...its just healthier. There...some wisdom for you today...enjoy it.

BTW, sorry, wasn't trying to hide behind a new name...clearly haven't posted In a while and the new Rivals gig got me! Not a frequent poster, but wasn't my first...

Like you, I read this stuff like "It wasn't a good win for Purdue" and I wonder what that means. WTF? I think the poster was saying that we didn't win decisively enough to impress. Well, NW is a good team with good players. We lead pretty much from start to finish, and we won by 10 points. To me that means we controlled the game for pretty much it's entire length. I don't think any Purdue fan thinks it is bad to win.

Some fans have this strange idea that we should completely dominate teams like an NBA all-stars group playing high school kids. Sorry, but I got news for those guys: watch some other teams and learn about how strong the parity is this year. Better teams are better by fractions!

Reactions: BBG
Spread was 11.5, won by 10. No matter how good of a team you have, half of the time its going to be a below average performance by definition.

Also not sure how leading UM on the road at halftime qualifies for this contrived "5 straight poor halves" streak..

I don't disagree that we can play better than we have done lately, but at what point do you just quit groaning about it every game and accept the fact that we are disappointed in a 21-6, top 20 team and that's not a bad problem to have? Doesn't the hand-wringing on here after every game get tiresome to anyone? Does the program have to fall to the depths that the football team is at before we can appreciate a solid conference win at all? If someone had told us at the end of 2014 that we would be here 16 months later, we'd have all taken it and been happy.

I don't think it's wrong to want more but I don't think it's wrong to appreciate what we have either because what we have isn't bad. There's more middle ground than what's been reflected on this board lately.

I mostly agree with this. The only thing I would add is that many Purdue fans felt like things shouldn't have gotten as bad as they did in 2012-13 and 2013-14. You're right, things are much, much better now, and I think the foundation is in place for success over the next few years. But if some of us set the bar a little too high for this year's team, then looking back to 2014 might be setting the bar a little low.

I'd love for Purdue basketball to reach the point where we would consider a season like this year to be the baseline -- not underachieving, not exceptional, but what we expect to see most seasons.

I think Gene had the program at about that level from about 1983 or 1984 until about 1998. But things have been really up-and-down since.

the problem with "just winning" is that we are not looking like a team that can even get past the first game in the ncaa. there is so much potential that is unrealized at this point. will you all be happy with 25 wins and a first or second round exit in the tourney? this is why we are not happy with the current play of this team

Reactions: Summy1
We can do some things very well. That might lead folks to thinking there is all kinds of untapped potential. However, if you watch other teams play, you will quickly see that we have some limitations also. We just do not have the talent in some positions that other teams do. The way you handle this is to game-plan so that you minimize the weaknesses and maximize your strengths.

Frankly, I cringe a little when people say we have all this potential. Maybe, but maybe not this year. Hass is going to be a beast next year. Cline is going to make a major jump in strength, playing time, and defense. That "Potential is there" but I don't think we can really tap it this year.

For example, Vince Edwards is one of our best players, and we all see that he has great untapped potential. He is playing well as a sophomore, but you can see he has so much more he can do. This year he looks better than the sophomore version of Denzel Valentine. However, he is not functioning at the level of this year's Senior Valentine. Untapped potential? Yes, but not ready for tapping yet.

the problem with "just winning" is that we are not looking like a team that can even get past the first game in the ncaa. there is so much potential that is unrealized at this point. will you all be happy with 25 wins and a first or second round exit in the tourney? this is why we are not happy with the current play of this team

I'm not going to be unhappy all season long in anticipation something bad happening.

We can do some things very well. That might lead folks to thinking there is all kinds of untapped potential. However, if you watch other teams play, you will quickly see that we have some limitations also. We just do not have the talent in some positions that other teams do. The way you handle this is to game-plan so that you minimize the weaknesses and maximize your strengths.

Frankly, I cringe a little when people say we have all this potential. Maybe, but maybe not this year. Hass is going to be a beast next year. Cline is going to make a major jump in strength, playing time, and defense. That "Potential is there" but I don't think we can really tap it this year.

For example, Vince Edwards is one of our best players, and we all see that he has great untapped potential. He is playing well as a sophomore, but you can see he has so much more he can do. This year he looks better than the sophomore version of Denzel Valentine. However, he is not functioning at the level of this year's Senior Valentine. Untapped potential? Yes, but not ready for tapping yet.

mathboy: I've actually thought something very similar. I've resisted saying it because I don't want to sound like "wait until next year." But, if Caleb stays (I think he will), I do think next year's team has the potential to be very good.

A starting lineup of PJ/Carsen Edwards, Cline, Vince Edwards, Swanigan, and Haas will be formidable with enough support players (Smotherman, Mathias, Stephens, Taylor) to give us a serviceable bench.

mathboy: I've actually thought something very similar. I've resisted saying it because I don't want to sound like "wait until next year." But, if Caleb stays (I think he will), I do think next year's team has the potential to be very good.

A starting lineup of PJ/Carsen Edwards, Cline, Vince Edwards, Swanigan, and Haas will be formidable with enough support players (Smotherman, Mathias, Stephens, Taylor) to give us a serviceable bench.
That's three of us. I mentioned this lineup in another thread. Taking into account the work ethics that I see, I think Cline, Haas, and Vinnie will be significantly improved. Swanni will be better and will make much better choices. Hield is another example of yearly improvement, as is Curry. This is NOT a "wait 'til next year" thing .... it's reality. The fact that fans set expectations based on hope does not make them reality.

he is staying...where would he go?

Reactions: TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT