ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Hornsby

Hornsby has gotten a lot of crystal ball picks over the last couple of days for Arkansas, so it does not look good for us for him. Could change, but I think he will likely have to get a grad transfer at QB, if we are going to add another one to the 2020 class.

Wouldn’t shock me if Ramsey gets a call. The problem is, I don’t know that he would be promised the starting spot and obviously that is what he wants. Otherwise it makes no sense to leave IU.

Wouldn’t shock me if Ramsey gets a call. The problem is, I don’t know that he would be promised the starting spot and obviously that is what he wants. Otherwise it makes no sense to leave IU.

lol between this and and New Pal's comments in the Cronk thread regarding QB comparions, this board has some crazy homerism going on. Repeated from PFF:

Purdue: Sindelar’s early-season injury really hurt the Boilermakers’ chances this season, as did the loss of Rondale Moore. However, Plummer and O’Connell each had some success, albeit unsustainable, throughout the year. Perhaps their biggest undoing this season was their inability to generate positive plays from a clean pocket, as they all ranked outside the top 70 quarterbacks in terms of passing grade when kept free from pressure. O’Connell was the best from a clean pocket but still averaged just 6.9 yards per pass attempt when kept clean, not even cracking the top 150 among all qualified quarterbacks.

Indiana: Posing an interesting but also promising dilemma for their 2020 season, the Hoosiers received incredible play from both Ramsey and Penix in 2019. Penix was certainly the more dynamic of the duo, completing 68.1% of his passes and averaging 8.6 yards per attempt while also leading the country with a 79.3% adjusted completion percentage on straight dropback pass attempts. That figure led all quarterbacks who averaged at least double digits (10.0+) per target on straight dropback attempts. Ramsey added incredible stability, finishing every game from Week 8 on with an overall grade above 67.6. Ramsey was dominant throwing down the field, ranking 11th in the country in grade on throws targeted at least 120 yards downfield. He completed 56-of-106 passes on such throws for 1,282 yards and seven touchdowns with 14 big-time throws compared to just one interception and just two turnover-worthy passes. Ramsey also chipped in with another 374 yards on the ground as 30 of his 78 carries either scored six points or moved the chains for a first down. No matter which way you slice it, each quarterback had some top-notch moments, and whoever starts the season for the Hoosiers in 2020 should be considered one of the best quarterbacks in the nation.

For all the talk about how bad the OL play, the fact that neither QB was top 70 from a clean pocket speaks volumes to their actual ability. Ramsey would be the best QB on Purdue's roster by a mile. And Penix is a decent step better than him.

lol between this and and New Pal's comments in the Cronk thread regarding QB comparions, this board has some crazy homerism going on. Repeated from PFF:

Purdue: Sindelar’s early-season injury really hurt the Boilermakers’ chances this season, as did the loss of Rondale Moore. However, Plummer and O’Connell each had some success, albeit unsustainable, throughout the year. Perhaps their biggest undoing this season was their inability to generate positive plays from a clean pocket, as they all ranked outside the top 70 quarterbacks in terms of passing grade when kept free from pressure. O’Connell was the best from a clean pocket but still averaged just 6.9 yards per pass attempt when kept clean, not even cracking the top 150 among all qualified quarterbacks.

Indiana: Posing an interesting but also promising dilemma for their 2020 season, the Hoosiers received incredible play from both Ramsey and Penix in 2019. Penix was certainly the more dynamic of the duo, completing 68.1% of his passes and averaging 8.6 yards per attempt while also leading the country with a 79.3% adjusted completion percentage on straight dropback pass attempts. That figure led all quarterbacks who averaged at least double digits (10.0+) per target on straight dropback attempts. Ramsey added incredible stability, finishing every game from Week 8 on with an overall grade above 67.6. Ramsey was dominant throwing down the field, ranking 11th in the country in grade on throws targeted at least 120 yards downfield. He completed 56-of-106 passes on such throws for 1,282 yards and seven touchdowns with 14 big-time throws compared to just one interception and just two turnover-worthy passes. Ramsey also chipped in with another 374 yards on the ground as 30 of his 78 carries either scored six points or moved the chains for a first down. No matter which way you slice it, each quarterback had some top-notch moments, and whoever starts the season for the Hoosiers in 2020 should be considered one of the best quarterbacks in the nation.

For all the talk about how bad the OL play, the fact that neither QB was top 70 from a clean pocket speaks volumes to their actual ability. Ramsey would be the best QB on Purdue's roster by a mile. And Penix is a decent step better than him.
It would absolutely be a shock if he came here. Maybe transfers between PU/IU happened yrs ago but for a kid to be subjected to the resulting abuse that would occur on social media now would be horrific. Cronk was never going to transfer to PU either

d@mn

It's stunning how much IU fans obsess over what's posted on the PURDUE forum... then ice the cake with a claim of "crazy homerism".

Reactions: pboiler18

Penix also played the gauntlet of Rutgers, UCONN, Eastern Illinois, Ball State. Really surprising he put up good numbers.

d@mn

It's stunning how much IU fans obsess over what's posted on the PURDUE forum... then ice the cake with a claim of "crazy homerism".

It’s just like... do you truly believe Ramsey, the B1G’s career completion % leader, wouldn’t start for Purdue over two guys that had, at best, average (really, below average) seasons last year? If so, then I don’t value your opinion on anything football-related. If not, then who are you guys trying to fool? Yourselves?

I dunno. I’m not going to sit here and pretend IU boards are immune from homerism, but I take the same view towards IU homers and I do to PU homers so hey at least I’m consistent.

It’s just like... do you truly believe Ramsey, the B1G’s career completion % leader, wouldn’t start for Purdue over two guys that had, at best, average (really, below average) seasons last year? If so, then I don’t value your opinion on anything football-related. If not, then who are you guys trying to fool? Yourselves?

I dunno. I’m not going to sit here and pretend IU boards are immune from homerism, but I take the same view towards IU homers and I do to PU homers so hey at least I’m consistent.

You, an IU dude, trying to position yourself as "consistent" on a Purdue forum, yeah... it falls on deaf ears.

You're on a Purdue forum lecturing Purdue fans about homerism. You're not on the IU forum. Consistency is irrelevant. If you see it on the IU forum, call it out. On a Purdue forum, all you are is a classless IU fan. That's the way it is.

Don't like it? I can't help you.

You, an IU dude, trying to position yourself as "consistent" on a Purdue forum, yeah... it falls on deaf ears.

You're on a Purdue forum lecturing Purdue fans about homerism. You're not on the IU forum. Consistency is irrelevant. If you see it on the IU forum, call it out. On a Purdue forum, all you are is a classless IU fan. That's the way it is.

Don't like it? I can't help you.

IU is my first team (really second after my alma mater) but I enjoy following and talking Purdue football and generally want them to do well. Just because I don’t drink the kool-aid doesn’t make me classless. I end up looking more pro-IU than I really am on this forum because the absolute lack of any rational thought when it comes to IU that goes on here (like thinking AOC is a better talent than Penix).

I’m not here to s*** on Purdue but I’m also not here to pump rainbows and sunshine.

Don’t like it? I can’t help you.

IU is my first team (really second after my alma mater) but I enjoy following and talking Purdue football and generally want them to do well. Just because I don’t drink the kool-aid doesn’t make me classless. I end up looking more pro-IU than I really am on this forum because the absolute lack of any rational thought when it comes to IU that goes on here (like thinking AOC is a better talent than Penix).

I’m not here to s*** on Purdue but I’m also not here to pump rainbows and sunshine.

Don’t like it? I can’t help you.

You don't get it. It doesn't matter. After your next retort, it still won't matter.

Penix also played the gauntlet of Rutgers, UCONN, Eastern Illinois, Ball State. Really surprising he put up good numbers.

didn’t play at all against UConn, played barely a half against Rutgers. Did, however, play against MSU (when they had Bachie and a top 10 D nationally), and against Northwestern who had a really good defense all season long. Oddly enough MSU and NW were his two highest QBR games of the season. Narrative doesn’t fit.

didn’t play at all against UConn, played barely a half against Rutgers. Did, however, play against MSU (when they had Bachie and a top 10 D nationally), and against Northwestern who had a really good defense all season long. Oddly enough MSU and NW were his two highest QBR games of the season. Narrative doesn’t fit.

NU's D was middle of the pack in the B1G, MSU's slightly better. Passing D, NU's 6th, MSU's 8th.

Narrative...

Only played a half against Rutgers because they are that bad, color me wrong! Definitely no stat padding there. And Northwestern had a "really good defense"? No, their defense was decent, especially considering their offense. You cannot use "really good" to describe anything about Northwestern's 2019 season.

B1G stats.

"Narrative"...

Meaning scoring defense as the only frame of reference for how good or bad a defense was? To each their own. I do believe both of those teams had solid defenses last year especially compared to the original post’s comparison of Rutgers, EIU, and Ball State which all were very poor defenses indeed.

Meaning scoring defense as the only frame of reference for how good or bad a defense was? To each their own. I do believe both of those teams had solid defenses last year especially compared to the original post’s comparison of Rutgers, EIU, and Ball State which all were very poor defenses indeed.

Yeah, I think we got it. NU and MSU were solid middle of the pack B1G defenses.

As expected, Hornsby signed with Arkansas. Since we lost Hornsby in this class, I am hoping we can sign Donavan McCulley for 2021.

Uh... I'm not sure what's going on in your head (and don't want to know), but I don't think this is about what you think it is.

it looks like you were called out by an IU guy for being a homer and you spent the entire afternoon arguing with him and proving him right. It's ok to admit it. you're a purdue homer. this is a purdue board. I'd hate to believe you're an IU homer.
What did I miss or not understand? An IU poster came here, and you argued with him non stop. Just read the thread. you went mono a mono with the guy until you wore him out. . I guess it felt good to put him in his place.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
it looks like you were called out by an IU guy for being a homer and you spent the entire afternoon arguing with him and proving him right. It's ok to admit it. you're a purdue homer. this is a purdue board. I'd hate to believe you're an IU homer.
What did I miss or not understand? An IU poster came here, and you argued with him non stop. Just read the thread. you went mono a mono with the guy until you wore him out. . I guess it felt good to put him in his place.
That's his shtick. He's NEVER wrong, and ALWAYS has to have the last word.

Only way IU lands him is if Penix just cannot stay healthy.

Otherwise, they're out. Just don't see him landing there.

Penix would be a red shirt junior when McCulley is a freshman so if McCulley expects to see the field immediately, you have a good point.

It's hard to know at this point whether he would think he'd see the field more quickly at Purdue. Depends upon whether McCulley waits until after this upcoming season to commit, and how Purdue's young QBs play if he does wait.

Penix would be a red shirt junior when McCulley is a freshman so if McCulley expects to see the field immediately, you have a good point.

It's hard to know at this point whether he would think he'd see the field more quickly at Purdue. Depends upon whether McCulley waits until after this upcoming season to commit, and how Purdue's young QBs play if he does wait.
QBs tend to commit early. Hornsby was an anomaly.

Listened to Hornsby's NLI Youtube pick of Arkansas and not impressed with communication skills. Many might think "who cares" he's an incredible athlete! In the huddle and 40 seconds to get message across and get the play underway. Purdue often no huddles and takes signals, better be ready to interpret and go. Watch the video and come to your own conclusion.
In all likelihood, he'll get better at communication. If not, recruited over.

Listened to Hornsby's NLI Youtube pick of Arkansas and not impressed with communication skills. Many might think "who cares" he's an incredible athlete! In the huddle and 40 seconds to get message across and get the play underway. Purdue often no huddles and takes signals, better be ready to interpret and go. Watch the video and come to your own conclusion.
In all likelihood, he'll get better at communication. If not, recruited over.
Communication skills and the ability to make quick reads in a football setting are unrelated skill sets.

Steve McNair bombed the wonderlic and was an MVP in the NFL

Communication skills and the ability to make quick reads in a football setting are unrelated skill sets.

Steve McNair bombed the wonderlic and was an MVP in the NFL
Is he the same guy that is dead due to temptations and lack of communication to his girlfriend/partner?

imho, Communication is vitaly important to be on the same page to execute the play. Each level gets more difficult to overcome with athleticism and quick reads. Excellent leaders are also good communicators.

imho, Communication is vitaly important to be on the same page to execute the play. Each level gets more difficult to overcome with athleticism and quick reads. Excellent leaders are also good communicators.
Yes. Shot by his side piece.

The type of offense he is going into, all of the plays are controlled from the sideline. It rare that players audible out.
Post snap reads have nothing to do with communication skills.

The type of offense he is going into, all of the plays are controlled from the sideline. It rare that players audible out.

There are times during a game where I am looking for the strings attached to the QB from Brohm on the sideline. Do you think this is his long term preference to operate an offense or does he want to develop a QB who can make these pre snap reads on the field?

There are times during a game where I am looking for the strings attached to the QB from Brohm on the sideline. Do you think this is his long term preference to operate an offense or does he want to develop a QB who can make these pre snap reads on the field?
I think he wants a QB like Blough's head with Sindelar's physical attributes.

Lamar Jackson (Baltimore Ravens) comes to mind as well. Not sure if he has freelancing ability within their offense or just makes reads and goes. IIRC, was told he would have to change positions for the next level and he showed the pro evaluation teams he is capable of NFL excellence.

Not a great speaker, but seems like a good guy. Hope he stays that way throughout his NFL career.

Lamar Jackson (Baltimore Ravens) comes to mind as well. Not sure if he has freelancing ability within their offense or just makes reads and goes. IIRC, was told he would have to change positions for the next level and he showed the pro evaluation teams he is capable of NFL excellence.

Not a great speaker, but seems like a good guy. Hope he stays that way throughout his NFL career.
Lamar had mechanics issues. Supremely gifted, but also dropped to the end of the first round.

He seems fine in interviews though. Humble dude. Like him even if he does play for the Ravens.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT