ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Hornsby

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
He will not be making his decision at the All-American Bowl as originally thought. Don't know if this helps or hurts us.

Hoping it does mean we are back in the running since it seems like he has been told Rhule is apparently on his way to the pro’s! Also wondering if Brohm is considering Houston’s QB D’Erik King if he has entered the transfer portal!

Last edited:
Better off long term with AOC and Plummer IMO. Throw Piferi and Alaimo in that same QB room....we good.

Agree. Also, leaves more room for someone in the 2021 class(like the kid from Lawrence North maybe).

Looks like Arkansas may now be a possibility. We are now labeled "cool" on 247 and Arkansas is now warm with Baylor.

I thought Rhule said today that he is staying at Baylor.

Edit: Rhule has just turned down Cleveland. Said to be a potential Giants hire.

From last I heard, we are still in the mix for Malik. I think he wants to see how the coaching situation works out. He did mention something recently about playing in a warmer climate that says this might not happen for us if that is the deciding factor.

I hope Baylor goes back into the tank. Still can't believe they recovered so quickly from the scandal. That program deserved to be down for at least 10 years. Meanwhile programs with integrity continue along the long path.

Reactions: lefeber
as I see brohm continue to go after more players, how many scholarships does he have left to give? I'd take another O-line and d-line player over stockpiling Qbs.

as I see brohm continue to go after more players, how many scholarships does he have left to give? I'd take another O-line and d-line player over stockpiling Qbs.

Bigs, it's almost like you post this stuff on purpose.

Stockpiling QBs?

I'm not sure if your internet connection is a few months slow, (maybe it's not "forthcoming" for you) but to bring you up to speed we were down to our 4th string walk-on QB the last few games of the season. Our star QB isn't coming back for his final year of eligibility. The "heir apparent" had a pretty significant injury, and we've yet to see how he'll recover. And, one of the QBs in waiting decided to "retire."

Yet, you think Brohm is "stockpiling QBs."

IncompleteFelineIbis-size_restricted.gif

Stockpiling QBs?

I'm not sure if your internet connection is a few months slow, (maybe it's not "forthcoming" for you) but to bring you up to speed we were down to our 4th string walk-on QB the last few games of the season. Our star QB isn't coming back for his final year of eligibility. The "heir apparent" had a pretty significant injury, and we've yet to see how he'll recover. And, one of the QBs in waiting decided to "retire."

It's simple. You keep 3 QB's on the active roster, 1 on the practice squad, and sign a journeyman free agent if anyone goes on the IR.

Reactions: Purdue85
Hoping it does mean we are back in the running since it seems like he has been told Rhule is apparently on his way to the pro’s! Also wondering if Brohm is considering Houston’s QB D’Erik King if he has entered the transfer portal!
I wonder if Brohm is a candiate for the Baylor job?

Doubt it. Although Albers was a duel threat RPO QB in Hs, his best skill is running ball. He’s a very athletic guy with decent size and 4.6 speed. He can contribute immediately on special teams in my view. The other PWO qb — Blount probably came here to simply be part of a P5 program and assume the Carollo roll and contribute in anyway possible 6’0 170 without any camp measurables usually = 5’11 165– both guys are outstanding students. Glad they both want to be Boilers

Stockpiling QBs?

I have a degree in math and can count. With the recent walk-on, we now have 5 QBs on our roster. We also have several athletes who played Qb in high school. Do we really need to use a scholarship to ADD a 6th QB to our roster? how man y QBs does a team really need?

Wouldn't it be easier just to protect our QBs from injuries? I'm looking around and other teams don't suffer half as many injuries to their QBs as Purdue does. And in looking back at the history of Purdue QBs, the vast majority of them before the last 3 years were able to play the entire year without being injured. So yo u want to add more Qbs because we suffered a lot of injuries last year ? that's not a very logical or efficient use of our scholarships. We do have other alternatives already o n our roster. And if this injury bug for our Qbs continues, the solution is not to add more Qbs. the solution is to look at our offense and review why these injuries keep occurring. is it our lack of strength and conditioning for our QBs? Are they taking too many hits? are they running too much? No, the answer to our Qb injuries is NOT to add another Qb to the mix.

I have a degree in math and can count. With the recent walk-on, we now have 5 QBs on our roster. We also have several athletes who played Qb in high school. Do we really need to use a scholarship to ADD a 6th QB to our roster? how man y QBs does a team really need?

Wouldn't it be easier just to protect our QBs from injuries? I'm looking around and other teams don't suffer half as many injuries to their QBs as Purdue does. And in looking back at the history of Purdue QBs, the vast majority of them before the last 3 years were able to play the entire year without being injured. So yo u want to add more Qbs because we suffered a lot of injuries last year ? that's not a very logical or efficient use of our scholarships. We do have other alternatives already o n our roster. And if this injury bug for our Qbs continues, the solution is not to add more Qbs. the solution is to look at our offense and review why these injuries keep occurring. is it our lack of strength and conditioning for our QBs? Are they taking too many hits? are they running too much? No, the answer to our Qb injuries is NOT to add another Qb to the mix.
Brohm says he wants at least 4 scholarship QBs on his roster every year. Dont be surprised if he adds Hornsby if he can.

And no, players that played the position in HS but now play something else arent good options.

Brohm says he wants at least 4 scholarship QBs on his roster every year. Dont be surprised if he adds Hornsby if he can.

And no, players that played the position in HS but now play something else arent good options.

Do you consider AOC a scholarship QB ? If yes, then we already have 4 scholarship QBs in house and 1 walk-on. Would you consider giving AOC a scholarship verses using it to bring in another freshman?

Do you consider AOC a scholarship QB ? If yes, then we already have 4 scholarship QBs in house and 1 walk-on. Would you consider giving AOC a scholarship verses using it to bring in another freshman?
He isnt on Scholarship. So no.If they can get Hornsby, im all for it.

He isnt on Scholarship. So no.If they can get Hornsby, im all for it.

ok you're at least honest.

if we added Hornsby, that would bring our QB total to 4 on Scholarship and at least two walk-ons at QB. that would be a total of 6 on our roster. none of whom are a senior. if we continue this trend, we may have 7-8 QBs on our roster next year, or one of those 6 players transfers out basically making it a waste of a scholarship redshirting somebody only to see him leave. Looking at our other areas of need, by my definition that would be stockpiling our QBs.

And that's my biggest concern. I'm very confident Brohm will sign at least 1 QB per year. and in so doing, if we don't have injuries, that is going to mean somebody is not going to get playing time, and will leave. And I hate to waste his time and a scholarship for that QB to redshirt and then sit on a bench and then leave like Alstott did. and basically what Sipe did. if we had no intentions of ever playing them, we should not have wasted their time signing them. We just signed a 4 star QB in the 2020 class. he may eventually start. And if he does, Hornsby won't. One of the two will lose. I'm against using 2 scholarships from the same class for the same position. I hated the idea when we had two kickers and 1 punter on scholarship. and then the following year cried about our lack of depth at LB and o-line. if we hadn't given out the scholarship to Allstott and the kicker, we could have used them to address our areas of actual need. In baseball, shortstop is usually your best overall player. but you also need a great catcher and first baseman and pitcher to win. You can't be successful with 25 stud shortstops.

If we're going to stockpile a position, I personally would prefer it be a lineman.

Reactions: Fugs
1) Dont care about walk on numbers.
2) Players leave. Thats the new reality.
3) If you recruit a player and he isnt as good as you thought (it happens) you need to recruit over him. If he leaves, he leaves.

DisguisedExcellentBooby-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
ok you're at least honest.

if we added Hornsby, that would bring our QB total to 4 on Scholarship and at least two walk-ons at QB. that would be a total of 6 on our roster. none of whom are a senior. if we continue this trend, we may have 7-8 QBs on our roster next year, or one of those 6 players transfers out basically making it a waste of a scholarship redshirting somebody only to see him leave. Looking at our other areas of need, by my definition that would be stockpiling our QBs.

And that's my biggest concern. I'm very confident Brohm will sign at least 1 QB per year. and in so doing, if we don't have injuries, that is going to mean somebody is not going to get playing time, and will leave. And I hate to waste his time and a scholarship for that QB to redshirt and then sit on a bench and then leave like Alstott did. and basically what Sipe did. if we had no intentions of ever playing them, we should not have wasted their time signing them. We just signed a 4 star QB in the 2020 class. he may eventually start. And if he does, Hornsby won't. One of the two will lose. I'm against using 2 scholarships from the same class for the same position. I hated the idea when we had two kickers and 1 punter on scholarship. and then the following year cried about our lack of depth at LB and o-line. if we hadn't given out the scholarship to Allstott and the kicker, we could have used them to address our areas of actual need. In baseball, shortstop is usually your best overall player. but you also need a great catcher and first baseman and pitcher to win. You can't be successful with 25 stud shortstops.

If we're going to stockpile a position, I personally would prefer it be a lineman.
Why does it matter how many walk-on QBs we have?

As of this moment, there will be 3 scholarship QB (4 if we get Hornsby/Rogers or promote AOC) and 14 scholarship OL in the fall (15 if we get Storment). Those are the numbers that matter, 4 QB's vs. 15 OL. I'd say that is a pretty good ratio and hard to construct an argument about "stockpiling" QB at the expense of OL.

Reactions: Purdue85
3) If you recruit a player and he isnt as good as you thought (it happens) you need to recruit over him. If he leaves, he leaves.

The success rate at recruiting a good-to-great QB is quite low. You can't just get one guy and rest on that for the next 2-3 years. There are a ton of busts. Northwestern fans were cock sure they had a star QB in Hunter Johnson. Ooops! As a coach, you can't be saddled with a mistake for years because a recruit didn't pan out as planned. That is why you over recruit at every position. Over-recruiting and weeding out the busts is an effective way to elevate your recruiting classes. That is why Brohm has taken the max every year.

Last edited:

Players definitely leave, especially QBs. 3 of the 4 starting QBs In the playoffs this year were transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT