ADVERTISEMENT

TKR is a hot mess...

MetMyWifeAtHarrys

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 29, 2011
Feel really bad for the kid, but he just seems completely lost on both sides of the ball.
Wish there was a clip of his unedited mins, but to quickly jot down what I noticed:

• Energy level either not there at all, or is spastic if not misplaced altogether
  • Bad positioning on rebounding, then goes up with one arm
  • Careless fouls/turnovers
  • Stands around and watches on offense
  • Lethargic body language on and off the court
  • Constantly looks confused on defense

Did I miss anything? Not trying to drag the kid, I really like him and think he has a HUGE upside and glad CMP snagged him, but he needs to figure stuff out ASAP for his own confidence level...

Seems very slow footed on offense and defense. No lift, heavy legs. Looks very unathletic.

Like you, I hope he gets it figured out but I'm not sure about the lack of quickness/lift. Maybe he needs to lose a little weight? The difference between him and Furst is massive at this point.

Someone made a comment a while back that he needs to do Tre’s jump rope routine to keep quick feet. Dude runs like someone who has never run before.

I think he just needs to be put in with some sets run for him to get into a rhythm for scoring.

Seems very slow footed on offense and defense. No lift, heavy legs. Looks very unathletic.

Like you, I hope he gets it figured out but I'm not sure about the lack of quickness/lift. Maybe he needs to lose a little weight? The difference between him and Furst is massive at this point.
Considering he was supposed to be a perimeter threat who could handle the ball, shoot the 3, take his guy off the dribble.....not sure what's happened. I agree that losing some weight might help. He does seem slow and not getting off the floor.

To be honest, the first time I saw him play, which might have been after his Jr year of HS, I noticed that he seemed very heavy on his feet. From the hype he had received, I expected him to be considerably more athletic and all around quicker on his feet. Especially in recent games, he doesn't seem to have good hands and not strong with the ball. Now, last night, it seemed like he got hammered everytime he tried to take a shot, but at that point in the game they weren't calling any fouls no matter what.

He seems to rush himself. He gets out of position a lot of times. Playing with his back worked in High school against smaller and less talented players. I truly believe with this staff he'll get it figured out.

Also, we as fans put these expectations on him and it's only his first year playing at this level. I think we both need to be patient.

He needs to get in Shape, Run, Lift and put his heart into it, Just follow Gillis to see how it is done.

Reactions: Lionheart1
I think it’s more mental than physical at this point. He knows he’s struggling so he is pressing to make up for it. I would like to see him focus on playing a simple role for a while, rather than trying to be the primary post threat and centerpiece of the offense.
I think Painter needs to have set pieces for his second team squad that get them in flow. Run something that gets a look for Jenkins/Newman from deep or allow them to dribble into a pull up shot off a down screen. If that option isn't open, you run action to get TKR post action to back down somebody for a layup or kickout for a pass play.

Reactions: TX4GB
Feel really bad for the kid, but he just seems completely lost on both sides of the ball.
Wish there was a clip of his unedited mins, but to quickly jot down what I noticed:

• Energy level either not there at all, or is spastic if not misplaced altogether
  • Bad positioning on rebounding, then goes up with one arm
  • Careless fouls/turnovers
  • Stands around and watches on offense
  • Lethargic body language on and off the court
  • Constantly looks confused on defense

Did I miss anything? Not trying to drag the kid, I really like him and think he has a HUGE upside and glad CMP snagged him, but he needs to figure stuff out ASAP for his own confidence level...
Not sure why we're playing him at the 5. Furst should be the 5 when TKR is in the game & Edey out.

I thought the same thing. Honestly I was really disappointed with our bench play overall. When we took starters out for chunks of the game in the second half because of the blowout, we basically didn’t score. Maybe when you put each of those guys in with starters they play better, but it was still disappointing.

And yeah TKR looked the worst I’ve seen him. What happened to that great footwork we saw in previous games? I agree that it is mostly mental, and we need him to buy into Painter’s emphasis on process rather than results. You can’t control whether a shot goes in. You can control how hard you play, what decisions you make, etc. So hopefully he can focus on that and the rest will come.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Wonder if his extreme physical play is due to trying to body Edey in practice. Might need to just slow down and take it easier in actual games.

TKR has been lost, but last night he had help. The refs decided not to call much of anything because of the score. He was fouled hard multiple times every time he tried to go to the basket. Not touch fouls, hard hacks. He was already struggling this made it worse.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
He looked promising at the beginning of the season often receiving praise from the commentators.

When he gets the ball in the post his first move is to “bang” into the defender. Might of gotten away with this move playing against lesser defenders in HS, but B10 basketball defenders are equally his size and strength.

Confident coaches are working with him. Continue to hustle and play hard and the offensive game will come.

It's obvious to us....I'm sure CMP is aware/trying get him through it.....he looks lost out on the floor.....totally reactive.

Painter doesn’t really have another option, so he is going to get minutes behind Edey.

I do think that there will come a game in the tournament where he is going to have to play extended minutes (refs are going to screw Edey at least once, I think we all can agree). I hope the TKR that was decisive and quick getting up off of the floor shows up then.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
I think it’s more mental than physical at this point. He knows he’s struggling so he is pressing to make up for it. I would like to see him focus on playing a simple role for a while, rather than trying to be the primary post threat and centerpiece of the offense.
Great point...needs to let the gsme come to him....feels like he's to eager to to contribute for the minutes he gets in there...

Someone made a comment a while back that he needs to do Tre’s jump rope routine to keep quick feet. Dude runs like someone who has never run before.

I think he just needs to be put in with some sets run for him to get into a rhythm for scoring.
that was me w/ the jump rope comment because it looks like he has heavy legs, I'm also on record saying he's a 4 like Charles Oakley. Saying he gets hacked alot on O maybe explains one aspect but has nothing to do w/ his defensive woes

Painter doesn’t really have another option, so he is going to get minutes behind Edey.

I do think that there will come a game in the tournament where he is going to have to play extended minutes (refs are going to screw Edey at least once, I think we all can agree). I hope the TKR that was decisive and quick getting up off of the floor shows up then.

You move Furst to 5 and Gilis in at the 4. Though that hurts your depth at the 4, but that is what you have to roll with Edey is out for an extended period.

TKR has shown plenty of skill but is playing behind the POY. Also, I notice he is in that special area wherin the refs call him for every foul and violation that occurs within 8 feet of him. The refs get to a point where they recognize you as a star and then give you the benefit of the doubt on all calls. Don't tell me they don't!! TKR has not reached that point yet. He won't either with this lineup. I think Edey has finally reached that level with the Zebras. When they see TKR get on the court they lube up their whistles. All I can say is, keep grinding away, don't let the refs get in your head, your day is coming.

TKR has shown plenty of skill but is playing behind the POY. Also, I notice he is in that special area wherin the refs call him for every foul and violation that occurs within 8 feet of him. The refs get to a point where they recognize you as a star and then give you the benefit of the doubt on all calls. Don't tell me they don't!! TKR has not reached that point yet. He won't either with this lineup. I think Edey has finally reached that level with the Zebras. When they see TKR get on the court they lube up their whistles. All I can say is, keep grinding away, don't let the refs get in your head, your day is coming.
This has nothing to do with his shortcomings as a player as detailed throughout this thread.

Reactions: DannyGranger
I think Painter needs to have set pieces for his second team squad that get them in flow. Run something that gets a look for Jenkins/Newman from deep or allow them to dribble into a pull up shot off a down screen. If that option isn't open, you run action to get TKR post action to back down somebody for a layup or kickout for a pass play.
TK mentioned in his interview yesterday that painter always runs sets for him when he enters into the game.

TK mentioned in his interview yesterday that painter always runs sets for him when he enters into the game.
He's only practiced a few months in the last year and a half. His words, not mine. Not much of anything meaningful until this year. The guards are not typical freshmen. TKR is. Painter said he thinks TKR is going to be a star in this league a few games ago. He will be fine. Just needs time to catch up a bit.

Reactions: punaj and Poprudy
Some of y’all just can’t enjoy good things. Waiting for the thread about it not being cold enough for a typical January. Always has to be something to whine about, go root for izzo he loves to whine - you’ll feel right at home. I’m gonna sit tight and enjoy this team that is giving us the best start in school history.

Surprised TKR is the focus of a post for a record setting 18-1 team?

But maybe part of it is he's just not a college 5? He's a smart dude, under a great coaching staff, he will get there. Improvement is coming.
It's just the annual search for the "weak link". The great Greg Eifert replacement hunt.

Many people refer to him as a freshman hitting the freshman wall and making freshman mistakes. To be factual he’s a sophomore. Yes , he redshirted blast year. But he still practiced, watched game film, and the coaching staff had time to both develop his game and also refine his skills and design plays for him.

This is his second year as part of our team, yet at times it seems like he is playing as if it’s his first and he learned very little from red shirting last year. Almost as if he didn’t take practice as seriously as he should have.

I also can’t believe he’s playing the 5. My hopes when he signed was that he’d be able to use his perimeter game and become our starter at the 3. Obviously he either doesn’t have the speed or the defensive ability to play the 3. We don’t need a 5 to be an outside shooter.

I’d hate after wasting one year as a red shirt he is now wasting a second year playing out of position

Many people refer to him as a freshman hitting the freshman wall and making freshman mistakes. To be factual he’s a sophomore. Yes , he redshirted blast year. But he still practiced, watched game film, and the coaching staff had time to both develop his game and also refine his skills and design plays for him.

This is his second year as part of our team, yet at times it seems like he is playing as if it’s his first and he learned very little from red shirting last year. Almost as if he didn’t take practice as seriously as he should have.

I also can’t believe he’s playing the 5. My hopes when he signed was that he’d be able to use his perimeter game and become our starter at the 3. Obviously he either doesn’t have the speed or the defensive ability to play the 3. We don’t need a 5 to be an outside shooter.

I’d hate after wasting one year as a red shirt he is now wasting a second year playing out of position
TKR was injured last season and didn’t practice.

TKR was injured last season and didn’t practice.
I cannot believe he was injured for the entire year. And that he didn’t learn something from last year. I doubt he used his injury as an excuse for not learning and developing his game. It seems fans are just using his injury as an excuse . And looking forward, was his redshirt categorized as regular or injury related? If injury related, he could add another year to his stay at Purdue, couldn’t he!

I still don’t see the reasoning behind playing him at the 5 .

I cannot believe he was injured for the entire year. And that he didn’t learn something from last year. I doubt he used his injury as an excuse for not learning and developing his game. It seems fans are just using his injury as an excuse . And looking forward, was his redshirt categorized as regular or injury related? If injury related, he could add another year to his stay at Purdue, couldn’t he!

I still don’t see the reasoning behind playing him at the 5 .
He mentions it in this interview

Some of y’all just can’t enjoy good things. Waiting for the thread about it not being cold enough for a typical January. Always has to be something to whine about, go root for izzo he loves to whine - you’ll feel right at home. I’m gonna sit tight and enjoy this team that is giving us the best start in school history.
Evidently you haven't read most of the posts...before piling on....most love the kid and want to see him do better...just ideas to improve his game...he is clearly out of since right now.

Thanks for sharing the interview. He mentioned he didn’t practice much last year, but never mentioned or talked about an injury as being the reason for it. He supposedly decided to red shirt last year because of lack of playing time. Did he declare/request for an injury red shirt?

I still have to wonder why he’s playing the 5.

I also believe that most athletes even when not playing a lot in live games learn a lot via practice .

I would have loved to see him play the 3. I’d love to also see Gillis play the 3 instead of using a guard to play the position. I would love to see a 6’8 real forward like Durant or Big Dog play the 3at Purdue. But I guess that will never happen.

Agree with all the points in this thread...especially the musings as to why CMP has him at the 5...that just seems like a recipe for disaster. Playing the 5 is clearly not helping his general psyche as a bball player on several levels.

Would love to see him get mins at the 3, even for a possession or two.

Thanks for sharing the interview. He mentioned he didn’t practice much last year, but never mentioned or talked about an injury as being the reason for it. He supposedly decided to red shirt last year because of lack of playing time. Did he declare/request for an injury red shirt?

I still have to wonder why he’s playing the 5.

I also believe that most athletes even when not playing a lot in live games learn a lot via practice .

I would have loved to see him play the 3. I’d love to also see Gillis play the 3 instead of using a guard to play the position. I would love to see a 6’8 real forward like Durant or Big Dog play the 3at Purdue. But I guess that will never happen.
He was redshirting before the injury if I recall correctly. The injury was also serious enough to keep him from practicing for most of the year. I am not sure if a medical redshirt has been requested but once again, his decision to shirt was before the injury.

I doubt we ever see TKR at the 3. He has enough trouble defending 5’s. I don’t think he has the quickness to defend a 3 and so far his 3 point shooting hasn’t been great either.

TKR plays the 5 because that’s the only spot open for minutes. If he doesn’t back up Zach then he doesn’t play.

I think TKR will be fine. He only needs to give Zach some rest this year and when Zach leaves he will have a chance to really become a focal point for this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT