ADVERTISEMENT

The recruit's 10/12/2022

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
Three players for one position might make it tough. All of them are built for the 3 slot. Myles is a freak athlete and could play 2,3, and 4. At 6'6 he is the same size as Mason however I don't think we would want him to be confined to playing with his back to the basket. Kid can get his own shot and normally has to I have seen teams put a body on him when he is on defense. He has been well coached and understands angle and passing lanes. Kid can rebound with the best of them. Natural at the 3 and once he claims it he will own it. I feel for him his High School team has all the right pieces this year they just haven't figured out how to use a superstar. This may cost him legit shot at Mr.BB he has all the tools. I think he will be with us for 2 years because he reclassified up a year.

Kanon Catchings is one of the best recruits I have ever seen. He will be a one and done I am 100% convinced of that. At 6'8 and still growing he is excellent at every position on the court. He will Probably play 1-4 other than Braden Smith he will be the best passer on the team. On the same level as Fletcher shooting the 3. On the same level as Braden with his ball handling may be better. Kid is an elite defender now let alone in two years. There is not a weakness in his game that I have seen (I have watched 4 gms). With Smith, Loyer, Colvin, TKR and Furst locked in by 2024. Finding minutes for Catchings will require setting an all B1G TEN caliber player. But when a kid is a future lottery pick you will have too. He scored 33 points of 56 Saturday and won on the road against a ranked and undefeated Chesterton team. He scored from everywhere controlled the boards and deflected passes he had no right to get to. I could go on and on. I would not be surprised if he goes down as Painters best recruit ever. Love this kid someone close to him said He is projected to be 6'10" when he gets to campus. I have no Purdue player to compare him to so I will go with Cade Cunningham of the Detroit Pistons.

Jack Benter is special he does whatever his team needs from him. He reminds me of a shorter Robbie Hummel. His game is so much like Hummels it is an easy comparable. He can score from anywhere and usually does. When he drives to the basket it's almost always an and one because of his body control. He can play the point or 2,3, and 4 yes, 4 even at 6'5" he has the big body to bang with most 4's. He is a coach's kid, and it shows constantly. His dad could just set on his hands as Jack is the ultimate floor general. Painter always talks about trusting certain players well he will trust Jack. I have seen no flaws in his game and nothing he does extremely well. Maybe defending and rebounding. He is a Hummel clone able to size up his man and exploit his weaknesses. He also knows when one of teammates has an advantage and when to get him the ball and where. He will benefit from playing for Braden Smiths dad on the Under Armor circuit again this summer. Of the 3 recruits he is the only one that may stay four years, but he may also be the one to contribute the most. Smart, Confident, Capable, Skilled and Determined. Like I said Hummelish! As always just my humble opinion.

Three players for one position might make it tough. All of them are built for the 3 slot. Myles is a freak athlete and could play 2,3, and 4. At 6'6 he is the same size as Mason however I don't think we would want him to be confined to playing with his back to the basket. Kid can get his own shot and normally has to I have seen teams put a body on him when he is on defense. He has been well coached and understands angle and passing lanes. Kid can rebound with the best of them. Natural at the 3 and once he claims it he will own it. I feel for him his High School team has all the right pieces this year they just haven't figured out how to use a superstar. This may cost him legit shot at Mr.BB he has all the tools. I think he will be with us for 2 years because he reclassified up a year.

Kanon Catchings is one of the best recruits I have ever seen. He will be a one and done I am 100% convinced of that. At 6'8 and still growing he is excellent at every position on the court. He will Probably play 1-4 other than Braden Smith he will be the best passer on the team. On the same level as Fletcher shooting the 3. On the same level as Braden with his ball handling may be better. Kid is an elite defender now let alone in two years. There is not a weakness in his game that I have seen (I have watched 4 gms). With Smith, Loyer, Colvin, TKR and Furst locked in by 2024. Finding minutes for Catchings will require setting an all B1G TEN caliber player. But when a kid is a future lottery pick you will have too. He scored 33 points of 56 Saturday and won on the road against a ranked and undefeated Chesterton team. He scored from everywhere controlled the boards and deflected passes he had no right to get to. I could go on and on. I would not be surprised if he goes down as Painters best recruit ever. Love this kid someone close to him said He is projected to be 6'10" when he gets to campus. I have no Purdue player to compare him to so I will go with Cade Cunningham of the Detroit Pistons.

Jack Benter is special he does whatever his team needs from him. He reminds me of a shorter Robbie Hummel. His game is so much like Hummels it is an easy comparable. He can score from anywhere and usually does. When he drives to the basket it's almost always an and one because of his body control. He can play the point or 2,3, and 4 yes, 4 even at 6'5" he has the big body to bang with most 4's. He is a coach's kid, and it shows constantly. His dad could just set on his hands as Jack is the ultimate floor general. Painter always talks about trusting certain players well he will trust Jack. I have seen no flaws in his game and nothing he does extremely well. Maybe defending and rebounding. He is a Hummel clone able to size up his man and exploit his weaknesses. He also knows when one of teammates has an advantage and when to get him the ball and where. He will benefit from playing for Braden Smiths dad on the Under Armor circuit again this summer. Of the 3 recruits he is the only one that may stay four years, but he may also be the one to contribute the most. Smart, Confident, Capable, Skilled and Determined. Like I said Hummelish! As always just my humble opinion.
I see Myles as a 2 or 3 naturally and the spot being dictated by whichever 2 or 3 is better for the 2 or 3 spot. Myles can take the other spot and be fine. Under the right scenario Myles could play a four, but day in and day out I like him at a 2 or 3. Purdue BBall looks bright for a few years..

Good post, good players, good problems to have with a lot of really qualified guys viewing for playing time. I don’t think Colvin and Catchings play the same position and I expect Benter to be a talented guy who plays spot minutes early in his career.

One and done for Catchings? Sheesh. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a him blowing up into a Top 20 recruit only to decommit from the Boilers. Hopefully he realizes how good of a place this program is in right now!
I have no information on him other than what I read. If his family...extended as well, thought Matt and Purdue was the right place for him, I would think they would believe that his situation at Purdue is even better than thought a few months ago. The Big goes from east to west and his ability will be there for everyone to see. In my ignorance I'd be shocked if he went somewhere else...

I took a quick look at the future, and it appears we need a point guard more than anything. At least a backup to Smith. I assume it's Loyer. If so, I'm fine with all that is said above. We are showing now that we can be an awesome 10-deep team!!!

I took a quick look at the future, and it appears we need a point guard more than anything. At least a backup to Smith. I assume it's Loyer. If so, I'm fine with all that is said above. We are showing now that we can be an awesome 10-deep team!!!
Loyer can run the point but his skill set is better utilized as a shooting guard.

Saw some posts about KJ Windham and Ben Davis thumping Xavier Booker’s Cathedral team this weekend. Seems like a hard nosed guard that would fit into our system. Feel like we were looking at him but not sure if we are still interested.

@TX4GB have you seen anything of late on us pursuing him?

Loyer can run the point but his skill set is better utilized as a shooting guard.

Saw some posts about KJ Windham and Ben Davis thumping Xavier Booker’s Cathedral team this weekend. Seems like a hard nosed guard that would fit into our system. Feel like we were looking at him but not sure if we are still interested.

but we are getting super stacked at the wings!

1 - Smith
2 - Loyer
3 - Waddell, Heide, COLVIN!
??? BENTER
4. TKR,
5. Furst, CATCHINGS, Berg,

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
Catchings isn’t a 5. He is a 3/4 guy. Potential he could play the 2 based on his ball handling and quickness and how they translate to the next level.
yes, unless you really wanted to spread the court and play smaller at a given moment...or go big and move him down a position or two. Lot to like about versatility...

Could Catchings and Loyer bring the ball up against pressure?
Catchings has good handles for as tall as he is but not sure you want a 6'8 dude bring the ball up against heavy pressure from smaller guards. Perhaps he plays that middle outlet at the circle who can catch and initiate the offense while the defense is struggling to get back

Kanon plays #1 ranked Ben Davis at home Saturday night Brownsburg is ranked #3 as far as I know there is no interest in KJ or vice a versa. I know Purdue assistant coach Lusk was at Harris's game last week. I like our chances with him, but Arizona, Kentucky, UCLA and Alabama have all made him a target as well. Gelen Robinson his big brother has been helping recruit him as well without Gelen I don't know where we would be. The problem is Smith is going to still be at Purdue for two years if he were to commit. There is some connection with him and Kanon but I am not sure what it is. Getting a 4 star player to come in and play back up minutes for two years is going to be rough. But I really like our chances here.

Kanon plays #1 ranked Ben Davis at home Saturday night Brownsburg is ranked #3 as far as I know there is no interest in KJ or vice a versa. I know Purdue assistant coach Lusk was at Harris's game last week. I like our chances with him, but Arizona, Kentucky, UCLA and Alabama have all made him a target as well. Gelen Robinson his big brother has been helping recruit him as well without Gelen I don't know where we would be. The problem is Smith is going to still be at Purdue for two years if he were to commit. There is some connection with him and Kanon but I am not sure what it is. Getting a 4 star player to come in and play back up minutes for two years is going to be rough. But I really like our chances here.
I thought that Harris was more of a combo who could play with Smith. I am not saying Loyer would be any easier to beat out, but if minutes are available at both guard positions, it seems like there is plenty of opportunity for Painter to sell.

Could Catchings and Loyer bring the ball up against pressure?
Haven't seen enough of Catchings to have an informed opinon, but being young and with his length he certainly could be useful against a zone press down the road I would think. He may or may not be as good against a man...but all that is seeing a youngster at this time...and seeing very little video to do much other than guess.

I think Loyer could, but he needs more help than Braden in my mind against a zone press lacking just a little of that quickness desired. He has more height and is cerebral which are both positives. He's a bit slower, but has 2/3 of those things I believe are important. I think he can break both presses, but I think he takes a bit longer to break either press than Braden...who gets into the offense quite a bit earlier than the last few years. So yes on Loyer and would put him better than most the last few years, but losing a couple of seconds for offensive play. Both players (Loyer/Catchings) will struggle if the refs swallow the whistle and allow physical play, where Braden is more compact, dribbling can be a bit lower and harder to knock off the ball and good enough changing pace to get where he wants. The only problem would be if there was enough quickness to stop Braden and that person also had the length to prevent Braden from passing the ball over the top since the zone press was able to stop his dribble

I never really look at man D much more than fatigue and eating clock. I look at zone press as eating some clock, but potentially stealing a pass. Getting a mismatch in bringing the ball up against man offers a lot of potential players to do that. Just some require more clock that others. Do you recall when Cornbread Maxwell @ 6'8" brought the ball up for Lee Rose before coming to Purdue?

Haven't seen enough of Catchings to have an informed opinon, but being young and with his length he certainly could be useful against a zone press down the road I would think. He may or may not be as good against a man...but all that is seeing a youngster at this time...and seeing very little video to do much other than guess.

I think Loyer could, but he needs more help than Braden in my mind against a zone press lacking just a little of that quickness desired. He has more height and is cerebral which are both positives. He's a bit slower, but has 2/3 of those things I believe are important. I think he can break both presses, but I think he takes a bit longer to break either press than Braden...who gets into the offense quite a bit earlier than the last few years. So yes on Loyer and would put him better than most the last few years, but losing a couple of seconds for offensive play. Both players (Loyer/Catchings) will struggle if the refs swallow the whistle and allow physical play, where Braden is more compact, dribbling can be a bit lower and harder to knock off the ball and good enough changing pace to get where he wants. The only problem would be if there was enough quickness to stop Braden and that person also had the length to prevent Braden from passing the ball over the top since the zone press was able to stop his dribble

I never really look at man D much more than fatigue and eating clock. I look at zone press as eating some clock, but potentially stealing a pass. Getting a mismatch in bringing the ball up against man offers a lot of potential players to do that. Just some require more clock that others. Do you recall when Cornbread Maxwell @ 6'8" brought the ball up for Lee Rose before coming to Purdue?
I don’t remember Maxwell, but I remember Painter using E’Twaun Moore and Hummel to break pressure.

Reactions: Schnelk
I don’t remember Maxwell, but I remember Painter using E’Twaun Moore and Hummel to break pressure.
Maxwell was a center that was drafted by the Celtics. My point was that in man you just need a mismatch to break man. However, with today having the clock, that mismatch needs to get into the offense quick or get the ball to someone that can. Years ago that wasn't the case, but you still can break a man by having others bring it up as needed. Smooge and Robbie were guards in high school...Robbie played PG. You don't see a lot of man press unless a team has a lot of depth and just wants to wear the opponent down. Course you can play man and then run and jump to double the ball or just release from the one you are guarding to double the ball off a press.

Zone press requires some organization...at least in player positioning on teh court to create enough space that a really quick guy can dribble through the press, but for the most part most players use other players to get the ball up the court. So even with Lew Jack on the team, Matt may have used Smooge and Robbie to do teh same and rest Lew Jack. Too many years for me to know what was done and why. Matt has known forever how to break presses. He just didn't have the right personnel IMO. You would like to punish the team that spreads their players across 94' x 50' rather than 40'x50' but some of Matt's teams didn't do that because they didn't want the game to speed up due to the bigs, more than the guards. You rarely see teams zone trap in the half court, but once in a while you will see a team do that. It is a relief to Matt to not worry about the press as much this year I'm sure.

Reactions: Schnelk
Maxwell was a center that was drafted by the Celtics. My point was that in man you just need a mismatch to break man. However, with today having the clock, that mismatch needs to get into the offense quick or get the ball to someone that can. Years ago that wasn't the case, but you still can break a man by having others bring it up as needed. Smooge and Robbie were guards in high school...Robbie played PG. You don't see a lot of man press unless a team has a lot of depth and just wants to wear the opponent down. Course you can play man and then run and jump to double the ball or just release from the one you are guarding to double the ball off a press.

Zone press requires some organization...at least in player positioning on teh court to create enough space that a really quick guy can dribble through the press, but for the most part most players use other players to get the ball up the court. So even with Lew Jack on the team, Matt may have used Smooge and Robbie to do teh same and rest Lew Jack. Too many years for me to know what was done and why. Matt has known forever how to break presses. He just didn't have the right personnel IMO. You would like to punish the team that spreads their players across 94' x 50' rather than 40'x50' but some of Matt's teams didn't do that because they didn't want the game to speed up due to the bigs, more than the guards. You rarely see teams zone trap in the half court, but once in a while you will see a team do that. It is a relief to Matt to not worry about the press as much this year I'm sure.
I am thinking about when LewJack was a sophomore at times when Purdue was protecting a lead late. When LewJack was a junior and senior and healthy, I am pretty sure he brought the ball up all the time.

I am thinking about when LewJack was a sophomore at times when Purdue was protecting a lead late. When LewJack was a junior and senior and healthy, I am pretty sure he brought the ball up all the time.
since I don't know the specific situations I'm going to guess based upon what you said. Purdue has the ball and lead trying to close the game. Purdue doesn't want to turn the ball over as the most important thing. Ball is kept to LewJack, Robbie and Smooge. Opposition is now in a foul position... and guessing Robbie and Smooge a bit better from the line...at least under pressure and so they see the ball a bit more at this time and perhaps not as tired. I was really impressed with Braden hitting those four at the end knowing how tired he was. It is hard to speculate why something when you can't recall the environment in question...

Smith being good early could make it difficult to recruit a quality point guard. Being Purdue's first true point guard in a long time, he's locked in 30+ minutes for 4 years. Recruits will understand that only backup minutes will be available. Having someone like Loyer giving Smith periodic breaks or finding someone like PJ maybe our best options.

Smith being good early could make it difficult to recruit a quality point guard. Being Purdue's first true point guard in a long time, he's locked in 30+ minutes for 4 years. Recruits will understand that only backup minutes will be available. Having someone like Loyer giving Smith periodic breaks or finding someone like PJ maybe our best options.
At this point, I could see Painter going to the portal again for a one year solution this year, like he did with Jenkins. This would free up more scholarships for 2024, where he already has Benter and Catchings committed and he appears to be in good shape with several other recruits. It is hard to know who will be leaving to make room for 2024 because of the extra Covid year.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Might need to go the Jenkins route. Get 5th years from mid majors or lower quality programs that are trying to title hunt before they cant play any longer

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Might need to go the Jenkins route. Get 5th years from mid majors or lower quality programs that are trying to title hunt before they cant play any longer

Unless Edey stays, there will be no title hunt. Unless perhaps you mean B10 title.

I get this but I don’t, how do other elite programs consistently recruit guards when they have talent upperclassmen? If someone is scared off by competition ahead of them, perhaps they aren't a good fit.

My 2 cents, maybe they would not be scared off so much by competition, but more so, not being assured immediate playing time/ starting role. I’m sure CMP would sense this from potential recruits, as part of his “good fit” calculation.

My 2 cents, maybe they would not be scared off so much by competition, but more so, not being assured immediate playing time/ starting role. I’m sure CMP would sense this from potential recruits, as part of his “good fit” calculation.
Touché.

Reactions: DrEss
I wouldnt underestimate this team. Loyer and Smith will both be all big ten. This team can adapt play small ball and run with everyone with kaufman and furst as bigs. Kind of funny to think theres no shot beyond Edey.

Lol. I think you are mixing up good team with , NC contender. We will be good. We often are. That for the last 40+ years has been S16 & one E8.

But without an influx of rare talent....If we are talking NC, that is the case. Edey is this team's difference maker. He is a generational player that mixes well with our talent. It is much funnier to think we have a NC chance without his generational talent. And it is yet to be established that ZE can even get us there.

Now if Myles Colvin emerges as an unselfish generational talent on both sides of the ball, like Baylor's recent NBA guard...then maybe his sophomore year? We will see.

I wouldnt underestimate this team. Loyer and Smith will both be all big ten. This team can adapt play small ball and run with everyone with kaufman and furst as bigs. Kind of funny to think theres no shot beyond Edey.
Disagree. Certainly Edey is a matchup nightmare. However, when Edey sits, and the second unit comes in, that is when we usually sprint out to a 10-12 lead. When Edey leaves Purdue, I expect Furst and Renn to be a terrific starting front line, and continue our dominance. Pair those guys with a Miles Colvin and we will again be a top ten team.

I recall reading how much we would fall when Swanagan left, when Trevion left, when Carsen left, when Ivey left… all “generational talents” for some pessimists. There is more here than just specific players contributing.

Lol. I think you are mixing up good team with , NC contender. We will be good. We often are. That for the last 40+ years has been S16 & one E8.

But without an influx of rare talent....If we are talking NC, that is the case. Edey is this team's difference maker. He is a generational player that mixes well with our talent. It is much funnier to think we have a NC chance without his generational talent. And it is yet to be established that ZE can even get us there.

Now if Myles Colvin emerges as an unselfish generational talent on both sides of the ball, like Baylor's recent NBA guard...then maybe his sophomore year? We will see.
I am never going to predict that Purdue will be a national title favorite, but even without Edey, if the rest of the team returns, I expect Purdue to be one of Painter’s best teams next year, very solid on the frontline, on the wing, and in the backcourt. If Edey doesn’t return, the style of play will be much different featuring versatile bigs who score both inside and out, but I expect it to be very effective.

I am never going to predict that Purdue will be a national title favorite, but even without Edey, if the rest of the team returns, I expect Purdue to be one of Painter’s best teams next year, very solid on the frontline, on the wing, and in the backcourt. If Edey doesn’t return, the style of play will be much different featuring versatile bigs who score both inside and out, but I expect it to be very effective.

Interesting thoughts.......that's a long way off, but there will be some transitioning either way, IMO.

Also - just a reminder, redshirts Cameron Heide and William Berg join, along with Myles Colvin.

What you said about Edey, many said about Ivey.

ADVERTISEMENT