ADVERTISEMENT

Tirek Murphy Arrested

Curious your thoughts on vinny and Stu then
I might be wrong, but Vinny's biggest off-field issues happened in SF in NFL. Stu's off field issue happened well after his playing days at Purdue. I do not recall any Purdue issues that led to suspensions for either player that I recall. They could have been locker room headaches for Joe Tiller...I don't know.
There have an always will be mistakes while at college and during downtimes. I believe before game one even kicks off, if there is an arrest issue, that is a WARNING sign. Am I disappointed? Yes. Can Tirek change his ways and become the player on and off the field that we hope makes him a better young man? Yes, I hope he does.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I might be wrong, but Vinny's biggest off-field issues happened in SF in NFL. Stu's off field issue happened well after his playing days at Purdue. I do not recall any Purdue issues that led to suspensions for either player that I recall. They could have been locker room headaches for Joe Tiller...I don't know.
There have an always will be mistakes while at college and during downtimes. I believe before game one even kicks off, if there is an arrest issue, that is a WARNING sign. Am I disappointed? Yes. Can Tirek change his ways and become the player on and off the field that we hope makes him a better young man? Yes, I hope he does.
Stu got a DUI at Purdue. Blew twice the limit.

I hope they give the kid a break. It's just pot. It's exceedingly stupid given his role/situation at the university. I mean, he's not a "regular student." But it's just pot.

If there's anything concerning it's that the amount implies more than personal use.

But who knows, maybe he's minoring in "independent pharmacy."

I hope they give the kid a break. It's just pot. It's exceedingly stupid given his role/situation at the university. I mean, he's not a "regular student." But it's just pot.

If there's anything concerning it's that the amount implies more than personal use.

My guess is he drove to a neighboring state to stock up.

Reactions: TMFT
My guess is he drove to a neighboring state to stock up.
If you have to smoke weed THAT bad while you're attending a top university on an athletic scholarship you may have to rethink your priorities. If he spent 4 to 5 hours driving to the nearest "dispensary" in the neighboring state, he doesn't have his head on straight. You're not only putting yourself in a position to lose your scholarship, you're also putting yourself in a position to lose your future. It's illegal in Indiana, and until it isn't, you've got to be smarter. And I doubt even if it was legal, that the program would condone it.

If you have to smoke weed THAT bad while you're attending a top university on an athletic scholarship you may have to rethink your priorities. If he spent 4 to 5 hours driving to the nearest "dispensary" in the neighboring state, he doesn't have his head on straight. You're not only putting yourself in a position to lose your scholarship, you're also putting yourself in a position to lose your future. It's illegal in Indiana, and until it isn't, you've got to be smarter. And I doubt even if it was legal, that the program would condone it.
You do realize that marijuana use is fairly common among football and basketball players, right?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If the drug test would reveal he was using, what is the repercussion?
I think we all agree, dumb mistake. By now, he must realize he'll likely be part of the "random" drug tests sooner than later. Hope all of it stops for his sake.

If the drug test would reveal he was using, what is the repercussion?
I think we all agree, dumb mistake. By now, he must realize he'll likely be part of the "random" drug tests sooner than later. Hope all of it stops for his sake.
Internal punishment. Run those stairs.

They loosened the guidelines.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Internal punishment. Run those stairs.

They loosened the guidelines.

Do you have a source on that?

The most recent info I could find was that they raised the threshold for a positive test (in 2019), and still test for it (listed with "street drugs" like heroine), but the penalty still shows loss of a year of eligibility and suspension for 365 days.

After typing that, I also found this recent info, which seems more updated, and was reported by the Exponent: LINK

...and summarized with the graphic, below

5eb1c33646e5c.image.jpg

Edit: Given the amount, my guess is he will fall somewhere in the area where it's handled more ... "severely", shall we say.

OMG, somebody please take my keyboard from me.

Are you FUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGING kidding me??

"Hold my joint, bros... I'm going to show you how to REALLY "eff up" a golden opportunity in life!"

Sheesh.

Look... and, I just had this conversation with a colleague earlier today ... we all make mistakes. I've made my share. But WHY THE H*LL can't you learn from OTHERS??

He KNOWS there will be random tests.

I have so much more, but ... omigosh.

Young man, get your head screwed on straight RIGHT AFTER you get it out of your @ss.
on this, we both agree. he knows what the law is, what the rules are and still believes himself to either be above them, or they don't apply to him.

let the records reflect it was not me that brought up Spegal. Where did he end up going ?

It's over.

He didn't get offers.

Move on.

Goodness. Now it's just getting weird.
I did move on. I didn’t get caught with 30 grams of dope, Murphy did! I can keep my eye on the news to see how things play out. That is basic Freedom of Speech right.

Do you know how many times the coaches tell these kids not to do anything stupid. Don't embarrass themselves, their team, their school. And then this knucklehead goes out and does exactly what the coaches said not to do.

I'm all for giving second chances, but when you're given a $200,000 scholarship and the opportunity to get a degree from Purdue, I have a hard time tolerating someone who doesn't value that opportunity.

(yes, I did a lot of dumb $hit, in fact, some really dumb $hit, when I was 18-22 in college, but I wasn't an athlete on a full ride who's name ends up in the paper or social media when I get caught).

I did move on. I didn’t get caught with 30 grams of dope, Murphy did! I can keep my eye on the news to see how things play out. That is basic Freedom of Speech right.

Nobody questioned your rights.

And, no, that's not moving on.

He's gone.

Let

It

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oh, and a ;) for good measureQ

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Rumor from co-rec is that he was out partying with Purdue Pete. He dropped Pete off to get some burgers while he ran a quick errand.

Rumor from co-rec is that he was out partying with Purdue Pete. He dropped Pete off to get some burgers while he ran a quick errand.
Should have went to Burger King!

Hold the pickle, hold the lettuce, 30 grams won’t upset us, all we ask is that you let us, have it your way at Burger King!

Reactions: Purdue85
that fact is irrelevant. It’s still against the rules he must play by.

Somewhat related, i live in a state where it’s legal but work at a site with no tolerance. Guess what happens if I test positive?
Let me guess - you lose your job? These kids dont get that playing sports is their job, and the university (us) is/(are) paying their salary. The are here to win prizes for us, and they are being compensated with a better opportunity than the vast majority have. I am going to put this in caps: THEY ARE NOT ENTITLED.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT