ADVERTISEMENT

National Signing Day (article)

TMA62

Junior
Nov 3, 2001
I see both pluses and minuses in this year’s draft class.

On the plus side it was the 29th best class in the nation. That is proof that Walters and his staff are great recruiters.

On the negative side, it was rated as the 8th best out of 14 teams in the Big 10, not including USC, UCLA, Oregon and Wash. that would mean the other BIG 10 coaches are also very good recruiters too.

If you project our future in the BIG10 based solely on the talent we recruited, That would mean our team at best will be an 8-10th best team in the BIG 10. If you base our future success based solely on the strength of our recruiting class, that would mean if you want Purdue to be one of the top 5 teams in the BIG10 , they also need to be one of the top 5 recruiting teams as well.

I’ve said it before, a true rating on a recruiting class is not to compare it to one of our previous years. But rather, you need to compare it to what our opponents are doing. If we have a great class, but teams like UW, Iowa, PSU, OSU, Mich and 3 other teams and USC have a better class, we’re really not going to fair well in the future.

Ask yourself, given our recruiting class was rated as the 8th best out of 14 teams, what would you believe our record and standing will be? 6-6? 8th place? The bowl game in Detroit?

• Haha
Reactions: z_one

On the plus side it was the 29th best class in the nation. That is proof that Walters and his staff are great recruiters.

On the negative side, it was rated as the 8th best out of 14 teams in the Big 10, not including USC, UCLA, Oregon and Wash. that would mean the other BIG 10 coaches are also very good recruiters too.

If you project our future in the BIG10 based solely on the talent we recruited, That would mean our team at best will be an 8-10th best team in the BIG 10. If you base our future success based solely on the strength of our recruiting class, that would mean if you want Purdue to be one of the top 5 teams in the BIG10 , they also need to be one of the top 5 recruiting teams as well.

I’ve said it before, a true rating on a recruiting class is not to compare it to one of our previous years. But rather, you need to compare it to what our opponents are doing. If we have a great class, but teams like UW, Iowa, PSU, OSU, Mich and 3 other teams and USC have a better class, we’re really not going to fair well in the future.

Ask yourself, given our recruiting class was rated as the 8th best out of 14 teams, what would you believe our record and standing will be? 6-6? 8th place? The bowl game in Detroit?
Wolejib, according to 247, Purdue is 29th nationally and 8th in the B1G which includes the 4 incoming schools. So 8th out of 18 schools.

Nebraska and Wisconsin is ahead of us. But we are ahead of Iowa, Minnesota and Rutgers.

How we fare against Wisconsin and Nebraska will determine a lot this season. Nebraska has a bigger NIL war chest than Purdue. I suspect that Wisconsin has a bigger NIL than Purdue. C Walters will need to maximize the roster we have.

Last edited:
Rivals and the author of the above article had us listed 8th out of 14 just behind Iowa. Many posters here had previously bad mouthed both 24/7 and hammer and rails. So I responded to the ratings provided in the original post.

• Haha
Rivals and the author of the above article had us listed 8th out of 14 just behind Iowa. Many posters here had previously bad mouthed both 24/7 and hammer and rails. So I responded to the ratings provided in the original post.
Not sure what article you are talking about. The person who posted and the article that is linked both refer to 247 rankings. Rivals ranking is not mentioned.

Reactions: pboiler18

the other day I noticed that UCLA has the 81st ranked class due mostly I believe to the uncertainty of Chip Kelley. Rivals has us at 33

I think a lot of fans would take a bowl game in Detroit and a 6-6 record next year as a sign the program is improving. It takes a while to build a program, especially with last year's abrupt transition. If Walters improves and the team is exciting, it will attract more players.

With the early signing period in December, it is strange to think about how years ago the February signing period used to be so significant and drama worthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT