ADVERTISEMENT

Horrific recruiting in the true senior and Junior class

BC, I respect your take on a lot of topics but CRW lacks a lot basic instincts as a coach and fails to scheme things to his players strengths in key down and distance situations.
Better players would be great,but is the cat already out of the bag as far as his in game coaching ability.
Really good players aren’t drawn to schools that have a coach that is learning on the job and is unproven.......... JMTCW.
I’m not saying he’s been good. I’m just saying i want to see him with his own guys. This isn’t a Scott frost situation. It needs to improve next year.

He is a new head coach. But I honestly respect him for taking the challenge on. You look at his detractors and I guarantee you, the coach those people wanted probably took one look at our schedule and NIL situation and was like “why?”

Todd monken didn’t have to come here. It wouldn’t have been a good look

Reactions: Tommaker
No good QB is Coming here if card is here.

Oconnell was great, but he had three of the best 10 or so receivers I’ve seen at Purdue in 25 years over two seasons.

Give card a couple good transfers up front (because by the way I’ve already heard to expect nothing from oben or carpenter), get Jahmal Edrine back.. which allows you to move Burks into the slot. Get a big receiver on the other side who is mature enough to outdo Dixon-veal 🙄, and this offense should be much better.

On defense get Beasley in where Allen once was, get a good transfer MLB. Bradford should push kane for time. Williams and culp should challenge Rogers and step toe. Kennedy should be a massive improvement over Nichols because Nichols doesn’t do anything.

Go out there and look like a much more consistent 5-7/6-6 (schedule is brutal).
I’d be stunned if Oben is back next year.

Oconnell was great, but he had three of the best 10 or so receivers I’ve seen at Purdue in 25 years over two seasons.

Give card a couple good transfers up front (because by the way I’ve already heard to expect nothing from oben or carpenter), get Jahmal Edrine back.. which allows you to move Burks into the slot. Get a big receiver on the other side who is mature enough to outdo Dixon-veal 🙄, and this offense should be much better.

On defense get Beasley in where Allen once was, get a good transfer MLB. Bradford should push kane for time. Williams and culp should challenge Rogers and step toe. Kennedy should be a massive improvement over Nichols because Nichols doesn’t do anything.

Are we even certain that Card will be back??

We’ll be lucky to go 4-8. Have you looked at the schedule?
I think as of now,you may be correct.With two very tough non conference opponents like Notre Dame and Oregon State and Oregon instead of Michigan,that schedule is brutal.

I dunno...it's clear that this defense requires a really talented secondary that can cover man to work. It's also clear that we don't really have that right now other than our super frosh safety.

A couple of those DBs will bust whether by being overrated or injury or just not good enough. He might also convert one or two to another position.

Obviously, he needs to not ignore line play and it's pretty clear we need skill position help too at QB, WR and RB.
Speaking of DBS,do you know what happened to Winston Berglund?He was one guy the staff seemed to be high on but I dont think he has been on the field,has he?

I’d be stunned if Oben is back next year.
Agreed. I think carpenter follows him and there are gonna be a lot of guys served their walking papers.

Remember next year this fact. Someone on on3 posted that of the 26 or so scholarship linemen brohm brought in, 6 have started a game. Preciado and Liston may eventually run that to 8. That’s shockingly low

Reactions: TopSecretBoiler

2025 is no cakewalk.

ball state
uconn
@ ND
@ Mich
@ Minny
@ NW
Ill
IU
OSU
Rutgers
USC
@ Wash

Kind of a weird schedule. 4 straight away games. Hope the break is in there somewhere. Then 5 straight home games (including the Bucket game as the first non-end of the year rivalry game) for a 7 game home schedule.

2025 is no cakewalk.

ball state
uconn
@ ND
@ Mich
@ Minny
@ NW
Ill
IU
OSU
Rutgers
USC
@ Wash

Kind of a weird schedule. 4 straight away games. Hope the break is in there somewhere. Then 5 straight home games (including the Bucket game as the first non-end of the year rivalry game) for a 7 game home schedule.
At least ooc is not two p5. Next year the only two teams in the new big ten to play 2 p5 teams ooc is Purdue and usc

I don't think that is true at all. Card hasn't set the world on fire to scare away good QBs and he's not a redshirt frosh either. You should always aim to have more than one good QB on the roster. If Hazell could pull it off (even if he had no clue how to use them), anyone can.

2025 is no cakewalk.

ball state
uconn
@ ND
@ Mich
@ Minny
@ NW
Ill
IU
OSU
Rutgers
USC
@ Wash

I see seven games where wins are possible and five where we have no chance.

I don't think that is true at all. Card hasn't set the world on fire to scare away good QBs and he's not a redshirt frosh either. You should always aim to have more than one good QB on the roster. If Hazell could pull it off (even if he had no clue how to use them), anyone can.
We were told by gbi that no one good is coming if he’s here. I’d tend to believe them. But hey, if it happens, great

BC, I respect your take on a lot of topics but CRW lacks a lot basic instincts as a coach and fails to scheme things to his players strengths in key down and distance situations.
Better players would be great,but is the cat already out of the bag as far as his in game coaching ability.
Really good players aren’t drawn to schools that have a coach that is learning on the job and is unproven.......... JMTCW.
It's not even been one season yet. He's not scheming the offense, his OC is. Since he took over the defense, they are playing better IMO.

We have rarely ever gotten really good players. We have gotten diamonds in the rough that turned into really good players.

He may end up not being good. Or it may be that we have to wait a couple of years for him to figure stuff out as a young coach and suffer through a couple of no bowl seasons.

He's not getting fired until after year two or three regardless. We all know this. Worst case, he recruits decently, which so far he has, and a better coach comes in and reaps the rewards in a couple of years thanks to a cheap buyout. Best case, we get through growing pains and brutal schedules and come out with a loyal up and coming coach.

Either way, we aren't forever dropping into the abyss.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
It's not even been one season yet. He's not scheming the offense, his OC is. Since he took over the defense, they are playing better IMO.

We have rarely ever gotten really good players. We have gotten diamonds in the rough that turned into really good players.

He may end up not being good. Or it may be that we have to wait a couple of years for him to figure stuff out as a young coach and suffer through a couple of no bowl seasons.

He's not getting fired until after year two or three regardless. We all know this. Worst case, he recruits decently, which so far he has, and a better coach comes in and reaps the rewards in a couple of years thanks to a cheap buyout. Best case, we get through growing pains and brutal schedules and come out with a loyal up and coming coach.

Either way, we aren't forever dropping into the abyss.
This coach already complaining about NIL. He’s not loyal.

If he has success to get hired somewhere else he will go.

This coach already complaining about NIL. He’s not loyal.

If he has success to get hired somewhere else he will go.
Damn dude you really love you some Jeff brohm huh?

“He sucks, and even if he ends up being good he’s out”

The defense is no question better since the Illinois game began.

He complains about NIL cause it’s legit. Even credible people on GBI have said that card got what the average basketball player gets and that was it as far as big money

I'd love to see the stat on 4-5 star wash outs at Purdue. As an overall percentage versus recruited, I'd be willing to bet it's pretty high on the list.
Yes. My theory there is that there are rankings, and within those rankings, coaches have their guys. David bell wasn’t just a four star on rivals. Good programs wanted him bad.

Stephen Faucheux was offered by penn state.. as an offensive tackle. Purdue would let him play his preferred position of DT.

Yanni got “offers” early on. When written commitable offers came out, word was it was us and Wisconsin at FB.

I doubt Jason kacinko was anywhere but at the bottom of the four star ranks in terms of coaches wanting him to play for them.

Yes. My theory there is that there are rankings, and within those rankings, coaches have their guys. David bell wasn’t just a four star on rivals. Good programs wanted him bad.

Stephen Faucheux was offered by penn state.. as an offensive tackle. Purdue would let him play his preferred position of DT.

Yanni got “offers” early on. When written commitable offers came out, word was it was us and Wisconsin at FB.

I doubt Jason kacinko was anywhere but at the bottom of the four star ranks in terms of coaches wanting him to play for them.
Hudgins, Marvin Grant, and to a lesser extent Mershawn Rice

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
After watching do you still think so? He’s not horrible but nothing says Michigan talent. I would love to see him succeed, but I’m not expecting a ton more
I think he'd been playing out of position and now he's where he needs to be. he has two years? Personal opinion, his stock rises over the next 2 years, especially under a D focused coach. And his grandparents still owe me $75.

I think he'd been playing out of position and now he's where he needs to be. he has two years? Personal opinion, his stock rises over the next 2 years, especially under a D focused coach. And his grandparents still owe me $75.
I guess we will see. He’s certainly been better than brothers, because he doesn’t completely whiff on assignments.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I still haven’t been told what school I should compare these two classes to or whether I should default to the 2019 class.

Because he’s responsible for EVERYTHING. Duh.
But of course, that's just silliness because no one person can be responsible for everything. But everyone loves the whole "he's the leader so thus he's responsible for everything ever, but that's not reality. He's only "responsible" for the overall state of the program. He's not responsible for every single thing that other coaches do. So, no, he's not responsible for specific schemes. Now, if he doesn't hold responsible the coaches responsible for bad schemes and either get them to improve or replace them, then he'll be held responsible by being replaced. But he's not personally calling out offensive schemes.

I’m not a big fan of comparing a class to a previous class. As I don’t believe you ever compare yourself to your past. However I believe it would be an interesting study to compare against its competitors. We talk about Brohm and Hazell a lot. I’m wondering when talking about this subject, how do those classes compare to the recruiting classes of Illinois, northwestern, IU, msu, Rutgers, Maryland, Minn, uw, and Iowa? Do they have better retention rates? Do they also have a lot of misses?

Prime time received a lot of attention cutting half of his roster because they just weren’t good enough. They guys he added do not appear to be much better.

So rather than saying Walters is the second coming of Hazell. How does Purdue stack up against other teams? The reality is we are not playing against Brohm or Hazell’s teams! We are playing this week against IU . How do we stack up this week against IU?

Reactions: NVboiler
Recruiting classses

2023 class doesn’t count after the change over

-21 total
-4 or 5 have left the program
-2 played major snaps (Scourton & Klare)
-Strickland (4*) hasn’t played
-Allen (4*) never played and transferred

-15 total
-8 left the program
-5 guys + a walk-on (Mockobee) have played major snaps

-21 total
-13 left the program
-5/6 have played major snaps

-26 total
-13 left the program
-9/10 played major snap

Sure seems like a high number of kids not playing or leaving the program. Most of the kids that left the program didn’t even end up playing at another school so that just shows you the lack of talent Brohm recruited here. Brohm got the program back on their feet and I respect that but the man was one foot out the door after a few seasons and his overall recruiting showed. The guy could call a game but his recruiting sucked outside of a few solid guys, George K and some great WRs. If it’s wasn’t for Hazell giving Brohm some solid QBs and AOC developing into a great QB after being a walk-on Brohm would have been in a world of hurt at QB. His QB recruiting was terrible for being a so called “QB coach” and he followed that up with being a terrible recruiter for OL and building depth at key positions. If it wasn’t for 2 walk-ons in AOC/Mockobbe and a gift wrapped transfer in Charlie Jones Purdue would have been lucky to see .500. That so called bowl game the staff bailed on was a prime example of lack of recruiting. That game was a straight sh*t show and it’s rolled into this season from the team Brohm left. People are going to say playing calling and coach’s decisions is the reason this team has sucked this year……yeah playing calling has sucked at times but a depleted roster will kill a season real quick too! Look who’s playing…this team is playing true/Redshirt freshman and a ton of transfers that right there should paint the picture of the team Walters was left!

Recruiting classses

-21 total

-15 total
-8 left the program

-21 total
-13 left the program

-26 total
-13 left the program
-9/10 played major snap

Sure seems like a high number of kids not playing or leaving the program. Most of the kids that left the program didn’t even end up playing at another school so that just shows you the lack of talent Brohm recruited here. Brohm got the program back on their feet and I respect that but the man was one foot out the door after a few seasons and his overall recruiting showed. The guy could call a game but his recruiting sucked outside of a few solid guys, George K and some great WRs. If it’s wasn’t for Hazell giving Brohm some solid QBs and AOC developing into a great QB after being a walk-on Brohm would have been in a world of hurt at QB. His QB recruiting was terrible for being a so called “QB coach” and he followed that up with being a terrible recruiter for OL and building depth at key positions. If it wasn’t for 2 walk-ons in AOC/Mockobbe and a gift wrapped transfer in Charlie Jones Purdue would have been lucky to see .500. That so called bowl game the staff bailed on was a prime example of lack of recruiting. That game was a straight sh*t show and it’s rolled into this season from the team Brohm left. People are going to say playing calling and coach’s decisions is the reason this team has sucked this year……yeah playing calling has sucked at times but a depleted roster will kill a season real quick too! Look who’s playing…this team is playing true/Redshirt freshman and a ton of transfers that right there should paint the picture of the team Walters was left!

But but but…17 wins in 2 years.

“If it weren’t for those guys Brohm recruited, we’d have been awful” is quite the argument.

But but but…17 wins in 2 years.

“If it weren’t for those guys Brohm recruited, we’d have been awful” is quite the argument.
if brohm was so invested in AOC’s development why did he start plummer at the beginning of 2021?

Brohm did recruit good players. In 2019… subsequent classes have been about half as good. That affects the next coach. How do you not understand this? Nat100 had to have said this to you many times before on3 started up

e
Recruiting classses

-21 total

-15 total
-8 left the program

-21 total
-13 left the program

-26 total
-13 left the program
-9/10 played major snap

Excellent post. (Edit: when I first fat-fingered my reply, it said "Excellent pot." I corrected before posting. I'm not looking for a medal or anything, just thought a post like that could go either way.) And for the record, I was and still am all in in Brohm, but I think he may have been at the ceiling here at Purdue. So good for him at Mouth Breather U.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT