ADVERTISEMENT

That's four for CMP

Dec 6, 2003
Painter has now won four Big Ten championships (plus one BTT), this latest one coming after NOBODY had Purdue anywhere near the top of the table at the beginning of the season.

A 20-game conference season is a grind no matter what, and full marks go to the staff and players for getting #25 when they weren't even ranked in the pre-season top 25.

Well, congratulations to Painter and the team. It's definitely not the ideal way to win one. But as others pointed out, nobody thought Purdue would would even contend for the title back in October.

FWIW, I also think Painter is due for a break. Only three teams in conference history went 15-3 in B1G play and didn't win the championship. Matt Painter coached two of them, in 2008 and 2018.

I’ll be honest. The loss yesterday really got me angry. None of the others. That said we shot miserably from 3pt and overall fG whereas Indiana shot nearly 50% from both…and we’ve only lost 5 games total. Painter isn’t gonna give away all his secrets before the tourney. Or so I hope. Still a classic Purdue fan!

Who cares unless he does something in the big dance?
This attitude pisses me off so much. I am completely the opposite. I really don't give a rip about the March tournament. It's enjoyable and I see why so many people like it but it is not the gauge of "success". I could list 50 videos from just THIS year about the adoration of the Purdue coaching staff, program and fans and NONE of them had anything to do with games in March.

I will just say the journey of the season, for me, is much more enjoyable than a made for tv / gamblers, post season, tournament. Same for when the Cubs won the World Series. It lasted about 48 hours and I realized another season started in about 5 months and there would be another winner the following year. Wash, rinse, repeat every year.

This attitude pisses me off so much. I am completely the opposite. I really don't give a rip about the March tournament. It's enjoyable and I see why so many people like it but it is not the gauge of "success". I could list 50 videos from just THIS year about the adoration of the Purdue coaching staff, program and fans and NONE of them had anything to do with games in March.

I will just say the journey of the season, for me, is much more enjoyable than a made for tv / gamblers, post season, tournament. Same for when the Cubs won the World Series. It lasted about 48 hours and I realized another season started in about 5 months and there would be another winner the following year. Wash, rinse, repeat every year.
He's an iu troll. Add to ignore.

Reactions: Schnelk
So just some numbers since Painters first season.
Number of B1G titles for schools and coaches since the 2005-2006 season.

Michigan State- 6
Ohio State- 5
Purdue- 4
Wisconsin- 4
Michigan- 3
Indiana- 2
Illinois- 1
Maryland- 1

Tom Izzo- 6
Thad Matta- 5
Matt Painter- 4
John Beilein- 2
Tom Crean- 2
Greg Gard- 2
Bo Ryan- 2
Juwan Howard- 1
Mark Turgeon- 1
Brad Underwood- 1

So just some numbers since Painters first season.
Number of B1G titles for schools and coaches since the 2005-2006 season.

Michigan State- 6
Ohio State- 5
Purdue- 4
Wisconsin- 4
Michigan- 3
Indiana- 2
Illinois- 1
Maryland- 1

Tom Izzo- 6
Thad Matta- 5
Matt Painter- 4
John Beilein- 2
Tom Crean- 2
Greg Gard- 2
Bo Ryan- 2
Juwan Howard- 1
Mark Turgeon- 1
Brad Underwood- 1
Painter stacks up well, especially considering Gene didn't exactly leave him a stacked roster. Thad Matta really had it going at OSU for a while. I thought Bo Ryan won more titles, but I guess his first couple were before Painter. Izzo is Izzo. You can like the guy or not, but it's hard to argue with his success.

Yeah, I felt that way in 2005, when the White Sox won the World Series.

I wouldn't discount the tournament it is the test of all teams at the season end. Our little rugby league is fun and all but we get to play the big boys hopefully on a level field. And there are a ton of great teams more than I can ever remember!

Reactions: drewjin

I guess it depends on your perspective. Do you want your program to be recognized and revered nationally or just in the conference?
Without looking, I couldn't tell you who's leading the SEC, ACC or PAC12. Hell, I couldn't tell you who won the B10 in the last 5 years. But, I can name every national champ for the last 20 years and a fairly high % of the Final Four teams.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Do you want your program to be recognized and revered nationally or just in the conference?
Without looking, I couldn't tell you who's leading the SEC, ACC or PAC12. Hell, I couldn't tell you who won the B10 in the last 5 years. But, I can name every national champ for the last 20 years and a fairly high % of the Final Four teams.

Really? You wouldn’t know that Alabama is leading the SEC without looking?

This is just wrong imo. Plenty of good teams in conference play, including Purdue, are getting national recognition.

Really? You wouldn’t know that Alabama is leading the SEC without looking?

This is just wrong imo. Plenty of good teams in conference play, including Purdue, are getting national recognition.
I would have guessed Bama. But the point was, most of the people who care about conference play do so because their school is in that conference. Zaga isn't known for winning 90% of their games in conference, they're known for making deep tourney runs.
What's Purdue's reputation? Good conference team, poor tourney team. Painter's actually sort of build the unfortunate reputation of having a S16 ceiling.

I honestly like some of your takes. You take a lot of shit from people on here but you stick to your guns. That said I have to call you on this one. There is no way for me to prove it but I'm about as big of a college bball junky as there is. I watch a ton of games outside of the B1G and I love March madness. But there is no way I could tell you off the top of my head who has won the championship each of the past 20 years and I guarantee no one of here could name the FF teams for the past 20 years without looking it up. I get the point you were trying to make, but I think you went a little too far with your claim.

I would have guessed Bama. But the point was, most of the people who care about conference play do so because their school is in that conference. Zaga isn't known for winning 90% of their games in conference, they're known for making deep tourney runs.
What's Purdue's reputation? Good conference team, poor tourney team. Painter's actually sort of build the unfortunate reputation of having a S16 ceiling.

No I think that’s just the reputation among cynical Purdue fans and IU trolls.

Look at all the articles that have come out this season about our team and what a good coach Painter is. Painter is getting recognized across the board as one of the best coaches in college basketball. You can disagree with whether he is if you want, but the point is that his reputation is very good across the board, as is this Purdue team in general.

Nah. They are known for dominating their fake conference, getting an undeserved 1 seed, and flaming out.

I honestly like some of your takes. You take a lot of shit from people on here but you stick to your guns. That said I have to call you on this one. There is no way for me to prove it but I'm about as big of a college bball junky as there is. I watch a ton of games outside of the B1G and I love March madness. But there is no way I could tell you off the top of my head who has won the championship each of the past 20 years and I guarantee no one of here could name the FF teams for the past 20 years without looking it up. I get the point you were trying to make, but I think you went a little too far with your claim.

Yeah, my memory is not good for that sort of thing, but I couldn’t even tell for sure who the NC was each of the last 5 years.

Last edited:
100000% agree. Whether people like it or not, reputation is built off casual viewers more so than diehards. And casuals care about the NCAA tourney(not calling you a casual).

Oh I could definitely do the last 20 championship teams without looking them up. I'm 29 though so getting into the late 90s would be where it gets tricky.

2022- Kansas
2021- Baylor
2020- Politicians
2019- Virginia
2018- Villanova
2017- North Carolina
2016- Villanova
2015- Duke
2014- UConn
2013- Hookers
2012- Kentucky
2011- UConn
2010- Duke
2009- North Carolina
2008- Kansas
2007- Florida
2006- Florida
2005- North Carolina
2004- UConn
2003- Syracuse
2002- Maryland
2001- Duke
2000- Michigan State
1999- UConn
1998- Kentucky
1997- Arizona
1996- Kentucky

I was being a little dramatic, but going back 20 years, without looking I bet I can name 90% of the NC winners, maybe I don't get the year right, but I'll get the team.
As for FF teams, I'd bet you could tell me if a team has or hasn't made a FF in the last 10 years.
The point is, yes, conference championships are nice, but they don't earn the team national recognition. That only comes from success in the tourney.

No I think that’s just the reputation among cynical Purdue fans and IU trolls.

Look at all the articles that have come out this season about our team and what a good coach Painter is. Painter is getting recognized across the board as one of the best coaches in college basketball. You can disagree with whether he is if you want, but the point is that his reputation is very good across the board, as is this Purdue team in general.
Sure, they've gotten a lot of recognition this year and I believe were ranked No.1 longer than anyone else. That's great.
But what would you consider a successful tourney run? If they get a 1 seed and get beat in the S16, would you consider that to be a poor tourney showing?

Sure, they've gotten a lot of recognition this year and I believe were ranked No.1 longer than anyone else. That's great.
But what would you consider a successful tourney run? If they get a 1 seed and get beat in the S16, would you consider that to be a poor tourney showing?

I would consider that a successful season given my preseason expectations.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
I would consider that a successful season given my preseason expectations.
Everyone's definition of success is different. Very subjective. Did your expectations not change in Dec/Jan or is it all gravy after that?
I'd be interested to hear from others as to whether this season is already a success regardless of what happens in the tourney.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
2022- Kansas
2021- Baylor
2020- Politicians
2019- Virginia
2018- Villanova
2017- North Carolina
2016- Villanova
2015- Duke
2014- UConn
2013- Hookers
2012- Kentucky
2011- UConn
2010- Duke
2009- North Carolina
2008- Kansas
2007- Florida
2006- Florida
2005- North Carolina
2004- UConn
2003- Syracuse
2002- Maryland
2001- Duke
2000- Michigan State
1999- UConn
1998- Kentucky
1997- Arizona
1996- Kentucky
Congratulations, you know how to use Google now.

Don't have to Google that. Sorry if you have to🤷
Whatever Junior. I'm sure everyone here is really impressed that you listed the national Champs after looking it up and then typing it out. You're the one that didn't know the B1G had 3 players on the All American team just last year. You're a real college hoops savant, congratulations.

2 things. 1, Painter and the program already has a national brand. Thanks to modern day social media, all P5 schools do. Anybody that truly matters knows what Purdue is. Nothing is going to change that. 2, the only talking point that changes is that a great coach gets his final four. Great............then everything goes back to normal in the matter of weeks and the only people that care are Purdue fans and pissed off IU fans.

If you have the time, care and memory to recall that much, more power to you, brother. Most years, I don't recall who was in the NC game after two months. I'm all about conference domination over all other league schools and enjoying watching practices, the maturation of the players, coaches and program. The journey outside of the games is what I remember. Win or lose games, those memories never leave.

I get that the memories, takeaways and enjoyment will be different for each of us but blanket statements about the March tournament being the end-all / be-all has become so tiresome. It simply isn't true. If it were, nobody would show up to regurlar season games.

2022- Kansas
2021- Baylor
2020- Politicians
2019- Virginia
2018- Villanova
2017- North Carolina
2016- Villanova
2015- Duke
2014- UConn
2013- Hookers
2012- Kentucky
2011- UConn
2010- Duke
2009- North Carolina
2008- Kansas
2007- Florida
2006- Florida
2005- North Carolina
2004- UConn
2003- Syracuse
2002- Maryland
2001- Duke
2000- Michigan State
1999- UConn
1998- Kentucky
1997- Arizona
1996- Kentucky
Wasted brain cells. Congratulations, you're in the top 0.01% that cares to recall college basketball minutiae without help! Here's your sign........

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk and indyogb
Everyone's definition of success is different. Very subjective. Did your expectations not change in Dec/Jan or is it all gravy after that?
I'd be interested to hear from others as to whether this season is already a success regardless of what happens in the tourney.
I learned a long, long time ago that you don't put expectations on your sports team's performance. It leads to a miserable existence. Ask IU fans how much they've enjoyed their teams the last 20 - 25 years. Sure, pockets of smiles here and there but if their coaches don't fart roses, they want them fired damn near daily.

....and they aren't the only ones.

Ask any high school player in Indiana. You want to win the conference.
or the sectional ?..100% would say the sectional..
In the world we live in now..
The NCAA tournament is everything..

2 things. 1, Painter and the program already has a national brand. Thanks to modern day social media, all P5 schools do. Anybody that truly matters knows what Purdue is. Nothing is going to change that. 2, the only talking point that changes is that a great coach gets his final four. Great............then everything goes back to normal in the matter of weeks and the only people that care are Purdue fans and pissed off IU fans.

If you have the time, care and memory to recall that much, more power to you, brother. Most years, I don't recall who was in the NC game after two months. I'm all about conference domination over all other league schools and enjoying watching practices, the maturation of the players, coaches and program. The journey outside of the games is what I remember. Win or lose games, those memories never leave.

I get that the memories, takeaways and enjoyment will be different for each of us but blanket statements about the March tournament being the end-all / be-all has become so tiresome. It simply isn't true. If it were, nobody would show up to regurlar season games.
It's the reason a National Championship banner hanging in Mackey would be 5 times bigger than any B10 Championship banner. It's why a NC trophy would get it's own trophy case and be the centerpiece of the basketball facility. It matters more than what you do in conference.......

Reactions: IMSKRONG
Whatever Junior. I'm sure everyone here is really impressed that you listed the national Champs after looking it up and then typing it out. You're the one that didn't know the B1G had 3 players on the All American team just last year. You're a real college hoops savant, congratulations.
Oh no... No way anyone could recall national champions and not 1st team all Americans. Not in a million years.

You are absolutely correct; success is subjective. For me, the season is already a success. In early November, the team was not nationally ranked and pegged to finish in the middle of the conference (or a little better).

They have been ranked since late November and were ranked #1 for seven weeks. They are at worst B1G co-champions and will likely win the title outright. A guy who has been playing organized ball for a few short years may be the national player of the year. A freshman that nobody else wanted has run point all season. They have already exceeded expectations. That is a successful season (to me).

More importantly -- and as always -- our coach and players have represented our university with style and class. College basketball has more than its share of renegades and corruption, but there is not a whiff of it in West Lafayette. I don't think anyone should overlook that or take it for granted.

I realize the media and casual fans put more stock in the NCAA tournament. I might, too, if the field consisted of the 68 best teams in the country but that's not the case. Over the years, how many true Cinderellas who would have given high seeds all kinds of fits have been left out because some team with a losing or mediocre record happened to string a few wins together in a conference tournament? How many times has the best team really won the tournament? I will never be convinced that the 2010 NCAA tournament champions were better than the 2010 Purdue Boilermakers. Fate intervened.

To me, the regular season means more than the tournament. Of course, as I said in another thread, conference expansion has bastardized and diluted the significance of the regular season with unbalanced schedules and the like. But that doesn't change my view of the NCAA tournament, which is largely a crapshoot given your seeding, region, upsets, etc.

Also of course, I will be elated if the Boilers reach the Final Four, and very happy if they win the tournament. But in any given season, if a Purdue Boilermaker basketball team competes for (or wins) a conference championship, produces excellent players on and off the floor, and continues to foster and advance the program, I am satisfied.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct; success is subjective. For me, the season is already a success. In early November, the team was not nationally ranked and pegged to finish in the middle of the conference (or a little better).

They have been ranked since late November and were ranked #1 for seven weeks. They are at worst B1G co-champions and will likely win the title outright. A guy who has been playing organized ball for a few short years may be the national player of the year. A freshman that nobody else wanted has run point all season. They have already exceeded expectations. That is a successful season (to me).

More importantly -- and as always -- our coach and players have represented our university with style and class. College basketball has more than its share of renegades and corruption, but there is not a whiff of it in West Lafayette. I don't think anyone should overlook that or take it for granted.

I realize the media and casual fans put more stock in the NCAA tournament. I might, too, if the field consisted of the 68 best teams in the country but that's not the case. Over the years, how many true Cinderellas who would have given high seeds all kinds of fits have been left out because some team with a losing or mediocre record happened to string a few wins together in a conference tournament? How many times has the best team really won the tournament? I will never be convinced that the 2010 NCAA tournament champions were better than the 2010 Purdue Boilermakers. Fate intervened.

To me, the regular season means more than the tournament. Of course, as I said in another thread, conference expansion has bastardized and diluted the significance of the regular season with unbalanced schedules and the like. But that doesn't change my view of the NCAA tournament, which is largely a crapshoot given your seeding, region, upsets, etc.

Also of course, I will be elated if the Boilers reach the Final Four, and very happy if they win the tournament. But in any given season, if a Purdue Boilermaker basketball team competes for (or wins) a conference championship, produces excellent players on and off the floor, and continues to foster and advance the program, I am satisfied.
My desire to win the tournament begins and ends with shutting up the loudmouths bitching about us not doing it. I guess it would also be nice to chill some of our fans out - tasting the ultimate success kind of has a way of doing that.

It's a single-elimination tournament. Luck is a huge part of that.

I was being a little dramatic, but going back 20 years, without looking I bet I can name 90% of the NC winners, maybe I don't get the year right, but I'll get the team.
As for FF teams, I'd bet you could tell me if a team has or hasn't made a FF in the last 10 years.
The point is, yes, conference championships are nice, but they don't earn the team national recognition. That only comes from success in the tourney.
Smart post - blue bloods are made in March and being a blue blood helps with recruiting. Success begets success.

Reactions: Purdue80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT