ADVERTISEMENT

Why Purdue over UConn for overall one seed

Gman544

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2018
From ESPN Lunardi…

One might ask, after perusing this latest update, why top-ranked UConn isn't the No. 1 overall seed for Bracketology purposes. Surely the Huskies, winners of six straight including a dominant victory over Creighton in their most recent outing, would be first overall by now. In a normal season, the Huskies likely would be. That they aren't is in no way an indictment. It speaks instead to the incredible resume-building done by Purdue to this point. The Boilermakers have a nation's-best six Q1 wins, four of them in the top half of Q1, and scheduled only three Q4 wins. UConn has a whopping eight wins in Q4 -- half its season total -- and therein lies the difference. With two months to go, these are the two best teams in the country. For now, though, there isn't much doubt which way the selection committee would lean.

This is just another way of saying last year doesn't matter, and poll rankings don't matter.

This is just another way of saying last year doesn't matter, and poll rankings don't matter.
Purdue is the #1 overall unless we have at least 5 losses, lose the big ten, and fall out of the top 10. I guess the only other possibility is Marquette, Tennessee, Arizona all fall off a cliff.

No resume can match the quality of the wins at this point. It can only go down with several losses. I don’t think @wisc and @ill losses would drop it. Just my thought

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT