ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten, Purdue’s prime-time team plucked apart by fledgling Peacock

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
A national headline by The Associated Press last summer stated the Big Ten was about to see “maximum exposure” as it began its record seven-year, $8-billion contract with three of the four major networks -- Fox, CBS and NBC -- after ABC and its ESPN properties proved too cheap.

Maximum exposure? Quite the opposite. Instead of appearing on the actual networks, the Big Ten allowed NBC to pick apart the conference schedules for exclusive telecasts on its fledgling Peacock streaming service, a 3-year-old limited to less than 9 percent of the U.S. -- 24 million subscribers inching to 30. Peacock took 32 basketball games, denying exposure to over 300 million non-subscribers apiece. Nearly 10 billion potential viewers blacked out in one season.

Not the way to expand fan bases. How many casual viewers, possible students and recruits want to search and pay extra while so many other games are right on hand nationally for free?

Gutted worst was Purdue and its highest-profiled basketball team, ranked in the nation’s top four all season with the reigning national player of the year. Six Purdue games were pulled off the regular airways by Peacock, including the showdown as No. 2 against then-No. 1 Arizona, a 21-point win at archrival Indiana and a 32-point home blowout over ever-ballyhooed Michigan … impressive wins that impressed few live … plus the visits to Maryland and Illinois. At least Purdue’s worst showing was also confined to Peacock.

CBS, meanwhile, selected only three Purdue games for its featured Sunday telecasts -- available to 300 million households apiece -- and all three on the road. Thus, Mackey Arena, one of the nation’s best environments, housing one of its best teams, would go unseen on the national networks aside from three late-season games on Fox. Purdue’s other home games were relegated to the lesser Fox channels -- FS1 with less than 75 million households and BTN with less than 50 million.

What a deal. The Big Ten screwed its own founder and its best basketball product. Thanks a billion. Looks like we were expected use our share to go out and buy our own air time.

Is BTN still by far the most expensive component to a cable provider’s costs? I know it was in the early years and thought they justified that by covering bball/football games we wouldn't otherwise see. BTN hasn’t even come close to living up to the promise, and the Peacock games are an absolute disaster. Who subscribes to that? I’m certainly not going to support a terrible arrangement like that with a subscription.

I'm lucky as i have peacock due to Indycar and IMSA racing... It's a trash sub though. Even in races you get the old noncommercial commercial break... I thought paying for a subscription would allow me to watch races commercial free? Nope... Absolute joke...

Reactions: pboiler18
I have Peacock as part of my Xfinity streaming package. It's helped me watch a few games I wouldn't be able to see from far away and I'm thankful for it. I just subscribed to Paramount Plus on a trial to watch the last game (and 1883 and 1923) and might keep it. Want to check schedules, but it's also a way to keep CBS as my antennae doesn't pickup local networks.

Peacock had a black friday deal before the season started for $20 for the whole year. That's $1.67/month.

While it does suck that Purdue's national exposure was affected, this isn't an enormous price to pay if you're a big ten fan. It also has every episode of the office and several good movies. I will admit its a bummer to have so many streaming services, but this ended up being one my better purchases of 2023. For what that's worth.

I have Peacock for the EPL so I wasn't turned off when the B1G sold games to them. My main issues is it's the worst platform I've ever used for watching sports.

They don't have a DVR which makes it impossible to start a game late. At that point you have to wait until the game ends and they put the Replay up. My biggest complaint though is the fast forward/rewind option. On a phone or Mac it's fine. But, on the TV it's a massive pain in the ass to fast forward or rewind in short bursts.

I can't complain. I live in SC and have been able to watch every Purdue Basketball and Football game one way or another for the last 13 years. Never would have happened if we didn't have the numerous arrangements and options available. You could probably buy a subscription to every streaming service necessary to watch every game for a year for the price it would cost you and your wife to go out for dinner.

I know the technology angle is tough for older folks but its really not that expensive. We've just become accustomed to getting it free,

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I have Peacock, for now--thanks to my brother-in-law. But they'll probably sniff that out sooner or later.

The coverage is fine. I can access the games any time--though that's not really an upgrade over my YouTube TV unlimited DVR.

I think it's fine for some games, but the headliners (Purdue v. Illinois) should definitely be on national TV. Who has the priority in picking games, anyway?

A national headline by The Associated Press last summer stated the Big Ten was about to see “maximum exposure” as it began its record seven-year, $8-billion contract with three of the four major networks -- Fox, CBS and NBC -- after ABC and its ESPN properties proved too cheap.

Maximum exposure? Quite the opposite. Instead of appearing on the actual networks, the Big Ten allowed NBC to pick apart the conference schedules for exclusive telecasts on its fledgling Peacock streaming service, a 3-year-old limited to less than 9 percent of the U.S. -- 24 million subscribers inching to 30. Peacock took 32 basketball games, denying exposure to over 300 million non-subscribers apiece. Nearly 10 billion potential viewers blacked out in one season.

Not the way to expand fan bases. How many casual viewers, possible students and recruits want to search and pay extra while so many other games are right on hand nationally for free?

Gutted worst was Purdue and its highest-profiled basketball team, ranked in the nation’s top four all season with the reigning national player of the year. Six Purdue games were pulled off the regular airways by Peacock, including the showdown as No. 2 against then-No. 1 Arizona, a 21-point win at archrival Indiana and a 32-point home blowout over ever-ballyhooed Michigan … impressive wins that impressed few live … plus the visits to Maryland and Illinois. At least Purdue’s worst showing was also confined to Peacock.

CBS, meanwhile, selected only three Purdue games for its featured Sunday telecasts -- available to 300 million households apiece -- and all three on the road. Thus, Mackey Arena, one of the nation’s best environments, housing one of its best teams, would go unseen on the national networks aside from three late-season games on Fox. Purdue’s other home games were relegated to the lesser Fox channels -- FS1 with less than 75 million households and BTN with less than 50 million.

What a deal. The Big Ten screwed its own founder and its best basketball product. Thanks a billion. Looks like we were expected use our share to go out and buy our own air time.
The best college games only draw between 1.5 and 2.0 million viewers. One has hit over 3 million (Duke/NC) this year but that's rare. We drew over 2 million vs Wisconsin but the prime time IU game on fox only drew 1 million viewers.

I think it's fine for some games, but the headliners (Purdue v. Illinois) should definitely be on national TV. Who has the priority in picking games, anyway?
The way I've always understood it, the various networks work with the conference to figure out priority, and they effectively "draft" games in some kind of order, probably based on $$.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I don't mind the $1.99/ month for Peacock. What I hate is the quality of the broadcast. It is not up to 2024 standards.
It’s the principle of it. We pay a lot to watch TV. Now the network has to stream games and charge people some more. It’s never enough 💰.

Reactions: z_one and Schnelk
It’s the principle of it. We pay a lot to watch TV. Now the network has to stream games and charge people some more. It’s never enough 💰.
What I did last year is split the difference. I dumped DirecTV for YoutubeTV, which has almost everything I need (except Marquee Network :mad::mad::mad:). Now if you add the various streaming things like Amazon, Netflix, Peacock, the overall cost isn't as bad as if you're doing that with DirecTV. It was originally a function of Sunday ticket going streaming, but it works in the grand scheme of things now.

Reactions: boilerzz
The best college games only draw between 1.5 and 2.0 million viewers. One has hit over 3 million (Duke/NC) this year but that's rare. We drew over 2 million vs Wisconsin but the prime time IU game on fox only drew 1 million viewers.
Michigan State vs Arizona drew 5.18 million.

Peacock had a black friday deal before the season started for $20 for the whole year. That's $1.67/month.

While it does suck that Purdue's national exposure was affected, this isn't an enormous price to pay if you're a big ten fan. It also has every episode of the office and several good movies. I will admit its a bummer to have so many streaming services, but this ended up being one my better purchases of 2023. For what that's worth.
not even close to the same thing at 120 year.

Through February 18, 150 men's college basketball games have drawn over 500,000 viewers. Here are the teams that have played in at least four games with 500,000 viewers. (Games on Peacock are not included; I have not found any ratings data for games on Peacock.)

North Carolina18
Kansas15
Kentucky14
Duke12
Purdue11
Illinois10
UConn9
Tennessee9
Alabama9
Baylor8
Marquette8
Arizona7
Michigan State7
Arkansas6
Indiana6
Clemson5
Syracuse5
Wisconsin5
Florida5
Ohio State5
Creighton5
Auburn4
Iowa4
Miami4
UCLA4
St Johns4
San Diego State4
Maryland4
Houston4
Gonzaga4
Michigan4

What I did last year is split the difference. I dumped DirecTV for YoutubeTV, which has almost everything I need (except Marquee Network :mad::mad::mad:). Now if you add the various streaming things like Amazon, Netflix, Peacock, the overall cost isn't as bad as if you're doing that with DirecTV. It was originally a function of Sunday ticket going streaming, but it works in the grand scheme of things now.
I tried the streaming experiment. I had issues with buffering and couldn’t get it resolved. I also didn’t like the trouble of changing channels. I change channels all the time going back and forth during commercials. Just not a fan of streaming.

Reactions: Schnelk

I did this too. Will look at cost when renewal time comes around and may cancel then. PGA and LPGA golf also airs on Peacock ahead of network coverage, so this is a nice bonus for me.
Able to share with 2 other family members too….(so far) - for $20, what’s not to like? 😊

The vast majority of B1G games haven’t been “free” since we were watching Ken Double and Bob Ford on channel 4 back in the day.
True but the number of platforms required to watch them all consistently grows. The jump to Peacock was a pure money grab that otherwise made the product worse due to limiting our exposure. The fact that our game against Arizona was only on Peacock makes me sick. A large part of the college basketball audience didn't get to see our performance there or how we took over Gainbridge fieldhouse for that game.

Reactions: Schnelk and SKYDOG
Streaming is struggling. Then again, so is cable and satellite. There are so many entertainment options now, so many shows, so much access to every sport conceivable, video games, Tik Tok, Youtube, Twitch, etc that the kind of numbers even a universally beloved show gets now is a fraction of what it got even a decade ago. That means ad revenue is down.

Toss in the you have to always be growing and generating dividends mindset and it's not surprising that streaming services are looking to sports. Sunday Ticket was cheaper and better on DirecTV. But now it's on Youtube to drive traffic to its streaming service. Peacock and Paramount and Amazon obviously have also jumped on that.

Folks can be disappointed, but this is the near future.

And Indiana Farm Bureau!!

and the Bomb Shot.....

Ken-Double-and-The-Mighty-Wurlitzer-of-Long-Center-%E2%80%93-Version-3.jpg

Purdue benefits greatly financially from being in the Big Ten and frankly, Purdue does not have the football brand of several of its rivals. This is a way to contribute by leveraging its much stronger basketball brand. I have no issue with it.

I tried the streaming experiment. I had issues with buffering and couldn’t get it resolved. I also didn’t like the trouble of changing channels. I change channels all the time going back and forth during commercials. Just not a fan of streaming.
To be fair Youtube TV has added the "return" button/feature, and are going to allow custom multi-views in the future.

Reactions: HUNTER46120
Through February 18, 150 men's college basketball games have drawn over 500,000 viewers. Here are the teams that have played in at least four games with 500,000 viewers. (Games on Peacock are not included; I have not found any ratings data for games on Peacock.)

North Carolina18
Kansas15
Kentucky14
Duke12
Purdue11
Illinois10
UConn9
Tennessee9
Alabama9
Baylor8
Marquette8
Arizona7
Michigan State7
Arkansas6
Indiana6
Clemson5
Syracuse5
Wisconsin5
Florida5
Ohio State5
Creighton5
Auburn4
Iowa4
Miami4
UCLA4
St Johns4
San Diego State4
Maryland4
Houston4
Gonzaga4
Michigan4
And Purdue/Illinois in March is on Peacock … completely insane, lol.

(Unless you’re trying drive up Peacock subscriptions. 🤢)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT