ADVERTISEMENT

Starting lineup against the Hogs

Nov 19, 2017
Saw CMP's interview today where he said the starting lineup will be: Smith, Loyer, Jones, TKR, and Edey. He humorously called Zach a "game time decision."

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Will be interesting to see if Painter rotates 4 or 5 into game at 5 minute mark. Seems that was pretty effective last year. Sometimes he would leave Zach or Braden with the second unit.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
You just never know with these practice games what you're going to get. We also have another exhibition against a lower level school next week. I would hope we would see a rotation like we will see in Maui, but I don't know how to know that.

Another interesting thing he said was that this will be like a real game. That is, the coaches won't stop the action for teaching moments. Though, I wonder if he has spoken to Musselman to request that Arkansas show certain looks, and vice versa?

Reactions: northside100
You just never know with these practice games what you're going to get. We also have another exhibition against a lower level school next week. I would hope we would see a rotation like we will see in Maui, but I don't know how to know that.
MP commented that they're treating it like a real game and that the rotation may be tighter here than it will be in some games that aren't as close. I'd imagine that in addition to the starting five you'd expect to see Mason, Caleb and Ethan play some in a hostile environment against a high quality opponent. As we've been saying all preseason it will be very interesting to see how much run Myles, Cam and BW get.

I do find the starting lineup interesting though. Obviously Jones is better than any of us may have thought when he came in. Morton, Furst and Gillis all coming off the bench is surprising to me, but we have all heard how great TKR looks.

So using this, in a normal game, can these be average expectations?

Zach 32
Braden 32
Loyer 26
TKR 24
Jones 22

Gills 16
Furst 16
Morton 16

Then 16 minutes split between Waddell, Heide, Colvin?

I do find the starting lineup interesting though. Obviously Jones is better than any of us may have thought when he came in. Morton, Furst and Gillis all coming off the bench is surprising to me, but we have all heard how great TKR looks.

Zach 32
Braden 32
Loyer 26
TKR 24
Jones 22

Gills 16
Furst 16
Morton 16

Two players who have started many games the last two years, and one player (Morton) who started many games last year -- all coming off the bench. Add the potential of Waddell, Heide, and Colvin, and have a lot of talent and experience. Just hoping it all comes together and lasts through March (and early April)!

Two players who have started many games the last two years, and one player (Morton) who started many games last year -- all coming off the bench. Add the potential of Waddell, Heide, and Colvin, and have a lot of talent and experience. Just hoping it all comes together and lasts through March (and early April)!
Depth beyond 8 or 9 guys doesn't mean much unless there are injuries. If Painter keeps the rotation tight like someone mentioned above, we may know pretty quickly where people stand as of today.

There may be opportunities to get the bottom of the rotation more minutes in the first couple of games but we play Xavior game 3. There won't be much of an opportunity for Painter to play around with lineups and play the 10th, 11th and 12th guys this year. So if you're in the mix versus Arkansas, play well, and Purdue wins fairly consistently you're in a pretty good spot no matter the potential of the guys coming off the bench.

Experience and talent are two different things. We’ve got guys with a lot of experience and marginal talent and vice versa.
I’ll be really disappointed if Painter isn’t getting Colvin and Heide a lot is minutes early and often in favor of Gillis and Morton.
Much higher ceiling with those 2 young guys who can help in March if they get the experience now.

Read that Painter might keep the bench tight against Arkansas so some guys might not see a lot of action. Supposedly Morton is one of the first off the bench.

Curious to see how today goes and if TKRs improvements over the summer can translate to real competition.

Zach 32
Braden 32
Loyer 26
TKR 24
Jones 22

Gills 16
Furst 16
Morton 16

I made the comment after the first scrimmage/ alumni game, that Jones was gonna surprise people. After seeing for myself how he plays, This didn't surprise me ,him starting today. I wonder what the fans on this board that had line ups pegged are thinking now.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Read that Painter might keep the bench tight against Arkansas so some guys might not see a lot of action. Supposedly Morton is one of the first off the bench.

Curious to see how today goes and if TKRs improvements over the summer can translate to real competition.
Experience and talent are two different things. We’ve got guys with a lot of experience and marginal talent and vice versa.
I’ll be really disappointed if Painter isn’t getting Colvin and Heide a lot is minutes early and often in favor of Gillis and Morton.
Much higher ceiling with those 2 young guys who can help in March if they get the experience now.
I sure hope Colvin and Heide get minutes.

Zach 32
Braden 32
Loyer 26
TKR 24
Jones 22

Gills 16
Furst 16
Morton 16

Curious to see Jones play, and how we do with him at the 3. It does sound like much of the fan base underestimated him when he was signed.
I listened to Painters interview and heard what he said about this game. Due to early season and desire to give different players/combinations limited run against quality competition, I personally wouldn’t be surprised to see EDEY’s minutes kept to 30 (or less)
Smith 25-30ish
TKR 20ish
Loyer 20-25ish
Jones 15-20ish. 120min

Furst 15ish
Morton 15ish
Gillis 15ish. 45min

Heide 10-15ish
Waddell 10-15ish
Colvin 10ish
Berg 0-5ish. 35min

I’m likely wrong but would like to see something similar in PT allocation lol. All of the playing time estimates will be determined by closeness of the game and how individual match ups work out.

if Morton is playing as much as those 3 combined something has likely gone very wrong and we are in for a long season and a short March.
Not necessarily. I think that it is possible that one of those three emerges to be part of a nine man rotation where Morton still plays an important role and that Purdue is much better than last year. I think that Morton might be the backup point guard (at least on offense) and play much better if he is thinking less and reacting more. I also think a lot of other things can change to make a difference including (but not limited to) the freshmen backcourt progressing as sophomores, Lance Jones emerging as a key contributor and adding much needed quickness, and TKR emerging at the 4. I could then see both Morton and whoever emerges from Waddell, Heide, and Colvin rounding out the rotation playing 12-18 minutes a game each. Of course, things could go poorly as well, but it is not hard to see how Purdue could have a much better season with Morton playing an important role.

What’s the benefit of playing Berg outside of a blowout?
IMO everyone is underestimating Berg kid has been going against the best player in the country for over a year now what is that worth? No reason for Zach to play more than 30 minutes. Will gave this long interview the kid said he had 15 bone spurs in his feet removed he's now heathy. I believe the kid will star for us just not sure when.

Reactions: Riveting-
IMO everyone is underestimating Berg kid has been going against the best player in the country for over a year now what is that worth? No reason for Zach to play more than 30 minutes. Will gave this long interview the kid said he had 15 bone spurs in his feet removed he's now heathy. I believe the kid will star for us just not sure when.
I think that Berg showed a lot of promise in Europe, but there is a logjam at the 4 and 5. If Edey gets 30 minutes a game, that only leaves 50 minutes to divide among TKR, Gillis, Furst, and Berg and it’s hard to imagine any of the other three not being in the rotation. It sounds like Berg is making great progress as Edey’s understudy, but might be a year away from earning meaningful minutes, assuming everyone stays healthy.

I absolutely hope you're right and have no reason not to be optimistic but barring injury it's not going to be this year. If it's a blowout I'm all for it. If not it needs to be Caleb and Trey or Caleb and Mason at the 4 and 5 when Zach isn't out there.

We all saw highlights of Berg workouts where he was displaying a really nice outside jumper. The Euro type of player we’ve all been looking for. Will be interesting to see if Painter ever lets him leave the low post.

Not necessarily. I think that it is possible that one of those three emerges to be part of a nine man rotation where Morton still plays an important role and that Purdue is much better than last year. I think that Morton might be the backup point guard (at least on offense) and play much better if he is thinking less and reacting more. I also think a lot of other things can change to make a difference including (but not limited to) the freshmen backcourt progressing as sophomores, Lance Jones emerging as a key contributor and adding much needed quickness, and TKR emerging at the 4. I could then see both Morton and whoever emerges from Waddell, Heide, and Colvin rounding out the rotation playing 12-18 minutes a game each. Of course, things could go poorly as well, but it is not hard to see how Purdue could have a much better season with Morton playing an important role.
I think any meaningful minutes to Morton at the expense of Colvin or Heide is going to be disappointing.

I'm not gonna be on anyones bandwagon until I see proof of play, but it is possible maybe Morton has improved.
Marginal improvement from a player like Morton is minimally impactful on a team like ours. Unless he is shooting ~40% (edit: on 3's of course) on decent volume he is most likely a net negative all things considered.

Last edited:
Marginal improvement from a player like Morton is minimally impactful on a team like ours. Unless he is shooting ~40% on decent volume he is most likely a net negative all things considered.
Said it before but the first time he turns down a wide open layup, that should be his last minute played for Purdue.

Marginal improvement from a player like Morton is minimally impactful on a team like ours. Unless he is shooting ~40% (edit: on 3's of course) on decent volume he is most likely a net negative all things considered.
Fortunately the coaches see all the facets of the game.

I made the comment after the first scrimmage/ alumni game, that Jones was gonna surprise people. After seeing for myself how he plays, This didn't surprise me ,him starting today. I wonder what the fans on this board that had line ups pegged are thinking now.
It's a scrimmage and not even a real game. Aside from that some guys start out hot, other guys start slow and build up to 100%. I wouldn't put this lineup in stone though it would be a fine lineup.

Not to make too much of one play, but to perfectly illustrate what some of us have been saying Heide gets the ball in the corner, goes baseline and dunks. That will go a lot further this year than a little extra try-hard-ism.

Curious to see Jones play, and how we do with him at the 3. It does sound like much of the fan base underestimated him when he was signed.
I listened to Painters interview and heard what he said about this game. Due to early season and desire to give different players/combinations limited run against quality competition, I personally wouldn’t be surprised to see EDEY’s minutes kept to 30 (or less)
Smith 25-30ish
TKR 20ish
Loyer 20-25ish
Jones 15-20ish. 120min

Furst 15ish
Morton 15ish
Gillis 15ish. 45min

Heide 10-15ish
Waddell 10-15ish
Colvin 10ish
Berg 0-5ish. 35min

I’m likely wrong but would like to see something similar in PT allocation lol. All of the playing time estimates will be determined by closeness of the game and how individual match ups work out.
Thinks this is good except I think Furst gets around 20 minutes a game.

Same old big man dominant bball cant make fts cant dribble penetrate cant shoot.

I thought last years loss would be the final wake up call for painter to ditch his stupidity. Instead he said he woke up and realized he needed to doubke down on stupid and start 2 big men and stay with man to man at all times.

Idc if we win or lose this game it means nothing but its clear as day come march it will be deja vu. Painter is a stubborn ****ing moron

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT