ADVERTISEMENT

Starting lineup against the Hogs

My thought after watching the entire game:
Looked like the same team as last year. Didnt see anything that looked like an improvement or even a tweak. Still no consistent outside shooting. It all comes down to perimeter shooting. If team shoots at least 35% from 3, it will he hard to beat. If closer to 30%, will see a lot of games like this one. Really need someone to step up and take over the 3 spot. Don't feel Jones or Morton is the answer there. Hoping Colvin or Heide can somehow develop into that. Disappointed that Edey and TKR didn't seem to look good on the court together since I feel they are the best scoring options. Disappointed that Furst had little impact and BW didn't even see the court (not sure if he has an injury or illness?). Team but esp Smith was way too careless - too many TOs. Overall, AK just played with a lot more energy and seemed excited to be playing...Boilers looked like they were just there and running through the motions. Hopefully will learn something from this game but would have thought after last year's ending, they would have shown a little more today.

I think all of our troubles begin and end with the PG. Smith has to work too hard just to bring the ball up the court and it's 14 seconds before we get in to any action. Then he doesn't have the physical vision, size or court sense to get the offense moving.

Arkansas had three transfers in their first game, well integrated into the team. Purdue was same old, predictable. Overmatched athletically , every position. Good news, Big Ten is slower and less athletic.

Rinse and repeat…Coach Dolt’s motto. Somehow…we need to end up getting a #3 seed and lose to a #14 seed this year. Then…in the last four (4) years we will have lost to a #13, #14, #15 and a #16 seeds

IMO everyone is underestimating Berg kid has been going against the best player in the country for over a year now what is that worth? No reason for Zach to play more than 30 minutes. Will gave this long interview the kid said he had 15 bone spurs in his feet removed he's now heathy. I believe the kid will star for us just not sure when.
Can’t play all of Zach, TKR, and Berg significant minutes. That’s just not going to work.

I think Painter took the game seriously. I like the fact he scheduled it because this is the type of match up where we struggle....against really athletic teams.

Pros: We lost in overtime on the road to a good team that we match up poorly against.

Cons: Looked a lot like the same team of late February and March of last season. Too many TO's, poor FT shooting and can't shoot the 3.

I think Painter took the game seriously. I like the fact he scheduled it because this is the type of match up where we struggle....against really athletic teams.

Pros: We lost in overtime on the road to a good team that we match up poorly against.

Cons: Looked a lot like the same team of late February and March of last season. Too many TO's, poor FT shooting and can't shoot the 3.
Good take.

You must be a mental midgit if you cant understand how zone here and there could be helpful to a team playing 2 huge slow footed bigs at all times since painter seems to love making winning secondary to playing his style.
Painter is an idiot, I’m a mental midget and you’re clearly a Mensa member. Seems obvious from your post, you’re very articulate. (go ahead and Google Mensa, it’s ok).

Same ole Painter gets the same ole comments. If his method is actually successful in March (final 4's/NC's) I will stop

Unathletic, can't shoot and no zone with two starting 5's. A true reflection of their coach.

Painter plays the most boring brand of basketball in the country. No attacking Defense and run shot clock down and feed edey the ball. Yeah it got us a BIG title and tourney title woohoo. Where is the March success? Will never come if he chooses to play like this for the rest of his time at Purdue and a majority of the people will be so happy like yourself.

Painter absolutely embarrassed himself as a coach during the tourney last year. So far against a long athletic team same story!
Keep posting, I love it.

Looked like the same team as last year. Didnt see anything that looked like an improvement or even a tweak. Still no consistent outside shooting. It all comes down to perimeter shooting. If team shoots at least 35% from 3, it will he hard to beat. If closer to 30%, will see a lot of games like this one. Really need someone to step up and take over the 3 spot. Don't feel Jones or Morton is the answer there. Hoping Colvin or Heide can somehow develop into that. Disappointed that Edey and TKR didn't seem to look good on the court together since I feel they are the best scoring options. Disappointed that Furst had little impact and BW didn't even see the court (not sure if he has an injury or illness?). Team but esp Smith was way too careless - too many TOs. Overall, AK just played with a lot more energy and seemed excited to be playing...Boilers looked like they were just there and running through the motions. Hopefully will learn something from this game but would have thought after last year's ending, they would have shown a little more today.

Agree the team needs Heide or Colvin (maybe both) to emerge & play major minutes at the 3 by years end. Let's hope one or both of them improves immensely. They are not near ready yet.

The final 8 NCAA teams WILL be this athletic.....although this ARK team seems to have that in spades. Thus I was impressed that Purdue could and did play with them & compete to a dead even OT game, they should have won.

But when it comes to that level of athleticism, Furst/Morton showed why they are good deep bench players. Morton in particular just cannot guard these athletes in game isos. Few can, but he is not close. Hopefully, CMP will see that someday. Has not so far.

I actually thought H2 was very positive for the Boilers with plenty of fight and energy for Boilers. Just played so poorly H1.

Gillis was the surprise of the game as he did not look out of place against these athletes. Whereas, he did last year at times occasionally. Other than his bonehead play at the end of reg he had a great second half. That kind of play should keep his minutes high, but consistency is what I am looking for w/ Gillis.

I do like the the level of toughness and muscle both Gillis and TKR provide. Both can and do get physical out there.

Nobody killed anyone.. ...it was ot.

Teams with athletic guards will give anyone problems.
Are you surprised that you’re seeing these posts? These guys have been waiting for six month and won’t let facts get in the way of a good narrative. On the road against a top 15 team and NPOY in foul trouble the whole game results in OT loss.

Only rational conclusion is Painter sucks. I love it and suggest you embrace it 😉

Agree the team needs Heide or Colvin (maybe both) to emerge & play major minutes at the 3 by years end. Let's hope one or both of them improves immensely. They are not near ready yet.

The final 8 NCAA teams WILL be this athletic.....although this ARK team seems to have that in spades. Thus I was impressed that Purdue could and did play with them & compete to a dead even OT game, they should have won.

But when it comes to that level of athleticism, Furst/Morton showed why they are good deep bench players. Morton in particular just cannot guard these athletes in game isos. Few can, but he is not close. Hopefully, CMP will see that someday. Has not so far.

I actually thought H2 was very positive for the Boilers with plenty of fight and energy for Boilers. Just played so poorly H1.

Gillis was the surprise of the game as he did not look out of place against these athletes. Whereas, he did last year at times occasionally. Other than his bonehead play at the end of reg he had a great second half. That kind of play should keep his minutes high, but consistency is what I am looking for w/ Gillis.

I do like the the level of toughness and muscle both Gillis and TKR provide. Both can and do get physical out there.
I'm with you on Morton. Where did the narrative start that he is a good on ball defender? Maybe against lesser opponents, but not against anyone that matters. Especially in early games we need to see what Cam and Myles can do.

I'm with you on Morton. Where did the narrative start that he is a good on ball defender? Maybe against lesser opponents, but not against anyone that matters. Especially in early games we need to see what Cam and Myles can do.

Cam & Myles need lots of game experience. So I am all for that. I hope one or both improves where they can increase minutes by years end. Long way to go there, but they have the potential.

Are you surprised that you’re seeing these posts? These guys have been waiting for six month and won’t let facts get in the way of a good narrative. On the road against a top 15 team and NPOY in foul trouble the whole game results in OT loss.

Only rational conclusion is Painter sucks. I love it and suggest you embrace it 😉
I’ll correct it for you. “Painter sucks in March”

They took a preseason top 10

I didn’t watch 1 second, did follow the score a little, Edey if this is a regular game plays a lot more than 24 minutes I’m guessing.

It was a great game in great atmosphere. Not played the best, but for a practice game it was fun to watch. Edey was not ready to play and with TKR playing beside him our front court is real slow making our interior defense??? Not impressed with TKR or Furst, need to start playing like the top talent they are. Mason kept us in the game and should start over TKR. I think Lance is going to be a good add, but I'm not sure about him starting. As bad as we played we lost in OT to the No. 14 team with great athletes. Hard to judge Heide or Colvin! Loyer played good, Mason showed up with is usual hustle and good shooting, Braden kept us in it the first half, forced to many passes, but he makes Purdue go! We seem to have a lot of "WOKE" fans on this board! It was a scrimmage!

I’ll correct it for you. “Painter sucks in March”
You know I’m as optimistic as they get but I will agree with the haters that if the backcourt isn’t collectively better than they were today MP will continue to ‘suck in March’. Long season to be played.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
You know I’m as optimistic as they get but I will agree with the haters that if the backcourt isn’t collectively better than they were today MP will continue to ‘suck in March’. Long season to be played.
We’ll go 25-5, might win the B10, get a top 2 seed and crap the bed in the second round. Book it.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Started against Ron Harper Jr and Rutgers. He’s generally quite good against bigger guys, not against quickness.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
If you cant shoot it doesnt matter how athletic you are. Someone is flat out going to have to hit shots. We will find out REAL fast as Samford is exactly the kind of team that we bedwet against in March.

Painter believes in fouling when up by 3, but not with 30+ seconds left. I don't recall if he has ever said his threshold, but it's likely under 10.
Does anyone believe in fouling up by 3 with 30+ seconds left? The whole theory in doing so with little time on the clock is that you put them on the line, they score two and then don't have time to get the ball back. Fouling while up with 30 seconds left just extends the game.

Last edited:
After all the hype about Heide's athleticism and what he can bring to this team, I'm very disappointed to see his lack of minutes and impact on this game. Arkansas has always been an athletic program, and Ethan Morton struggles to contain athletic guards and add value on the offensive end. He should be playing 7-8 minutes a game out of loyalty to a senior.

After all the hype about Heide's athleticism and what he can bring to this team, I'm very disappointed to see his lack of minutes and impact on this game. Arkansas has always been an athletic program, and Ethan Morton struggles to contain athletic guards and add value on the offensive end. He should be playing 7-8 minutes a game out of loyalty to a senior.
Totally agree. When Colvin and Heide were in, they were impressive. Not sure why Colvin didn’t get more minutes.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

TKR can not play at the end of close games with his mediocre free throw shooting.

Reactions: tjreese
Painter believes in fouling when up by 3, but not with 30+ seconds left. I don't recall if he has ever said his threshold, but it's likely under 10.
I have seen some data that shows the threshold is once the clock gets under 5 seconds. Basically you want the clock low enough that the best option for the other team is to make the first and try to intentionally miss the second free throw to get a rebound. Unfortunately for Purdue, we all witnessed the low% chance that the other team actually pulls that off.

Some of you need to seriously f***ing relax. We played a practice game on the road in a sold out, hostile environment against a team almost tailor-made to beat Purdue, and it took an ugly three from them to send it to OT. All of this without our returning NPOY playing a normal amount of time due to being saddled with (very questionable) foul trouble. I’m glad we were able to raise a bunch of money for charity, but holy shit, I feel like most of you would be better off if this game wasn’t televised.

Some of you need to seriously f***ing relax. We played a practice game on the road in a sold out, hostile environment against a team almost tailor-made to beat Purdue, and it took an ugly three from them to send it to OT. All of this without our returning NPOY playing a normal amount of time due to being saddled with (very questionable) foul trouble. I’m glad we were able to raise a bunch of money for charity, but holy shit, I feel like most of you would be better off if this game wasn’t televised.
Exactly on point about Arkansas so then why not use it? My frustration is with Smiths turnovers and lack of extended PT for Heide and Colvin - which to some show a lack growth. It’s not a sky is falling but rather literally no demonstrated changes.

Exactly on point about Arkansas so then why not use it? My frustration is with Smiths turnovers and lack of extended PT for Heide and Colvin - which to some show a lack growth. It’s not a sky is falling but rather literally no demonstrated changes.
Could you elaborate on your question about “why not use it”? I’m not sure I know what you’re asking. But to respond to the rest of your reply, I agree with the frustration about Heide and Colvin. We obviously aren’t privy to everything going on in practice, but I would have liked to see them get more run. Tonight would have been a good time to get them some “trial by fire”, and it seemed like we missed an opportunity for that. I don’t think there’s no demonstrated changes though. The fact that we did so well without Edey shows demonstrated change. I also didn’t notice any issues with the press tonight, granted their pressure may have picked up once we passed half court. The team certainly isn’t flawless, no team is (despite what some posters think), but I don’t understand how people look at tonight’s practice(!) game and think this is going to be some foreshadowing of the season to come.

Could you elaborate on your question about “why not use it”? I’m not sure I know what you’re asking. But to respond to the rest of your reply, I agree with the frustration about Heide and Colvin. We obviously aren’t privy to everything going on in practice, but I would have liked to see them get more run. Tonight would have been a good time to get them some “trial by fire”, and it seemed like we missed an opportunity for that. I don’t think there’s no demonstrated changes though. The fact that we did so well without Edey shows demonstrated change. I also didn’t notice any issues with the press tonight, granted their pressure may have picked up once we passed half court. The team certainly isn’t flawless, no team is (despite what some posters think), but I don’t understand how people look at tonight’s practice(!) game and think this is going to be some foreshadowing of the season to come.
Along with the same lines of what you said. Opportunity to use this as trial by fire etc. after all it’s a practice game right? Fair point about foreshadowing.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
With all due respect, he’s been in the program for 4 years. He is what he is.
I thought that about Sasha and with him not getting any better by his senior year, he still played a ton. I bring that up ,because Painter never benched him even when he was at his worst. I think if a guy doesn't get better, give his minutes to someone else to try.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT