ADVERTISEMENT

Starting lineup against the Hogs

I thought that about Sasha and with him not getting any better by his senior year, he still played a ton. I bring that up ,because Painter never benched him even when he was at his worst. I think if a guy doesn't get better, give his minutes to someone else to try.
The thing is Sasha is exactly what this team needs. The guy was a career 39% three-point shooter.

I thought that about Sasha and with him not getting any better by his senior year, he still played a ton. I bring that up ,because Painter never benched him even when he was at his worst. I think if a guy doesn't get better, give his minutes to someone else to try.
Agree "The writing is on the wall" he's not getting any better and those minutes will hopefully shift to someone with the capabilities ala Colvin and Heide. Unfortunately, CMP is pretty stubborn and I hope he's fighting for his job.

If, we don't see any adjustments this may end like last year and that tells me Bob didn't have a discussion with CMP that his job is on the line. He needs to evolve as good coaches do

Reactions: lovelyblonde
The thing is Sasha is exactly what this team needs. The guy was a career 39% three-point shooter.Career and no he didn't help us anymore then some of these other guys that people keep putting down

The thing is Sasha is exactly what this team needs. The guy was a career 39% three-point shooter.
STATS
2021-22
2020-21
2019-20
2018-19

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

So we "hail" these stats getting worse by his senior year, but it's not ok for other players? There were just a lot of later games in his senior Sasha could do no wrong in Painters eyes. , even when he was struggling to score.

Reactions: Poprudy
This was such a stupid game to agree too. So much risk.

Though this game doesnt count, this teams outcome will be the same as the ones before it. Painter will never change, nor will our drought of final 4s under him.
What? This is perfect game to agree to, a top 20 team with elite quickness. You play these games to evaluate and get better. Why on earth would you not want to play all of these type games you can? You want to play Indiana Weslyans and Grace to get ready?

Agree "The writing is on the wall" he's not getting any better and those minutes will hopefully shift to someone with the capabilities ala Colvin and Heide. Unfortunately, CMP is pretty stubborn and I hope he's fighting for his job.

If, we don't see any adjustments this may end like last year and that tells me Bob didn't have a discussion with CMP that his job is on the line. He needs to evolve as good coaches do
I'd bet my house that there was zero discussion about Painter’s job. If this was Duke, UK, Kansas, NC, or UCLA, there may jhave been a few words, but not at Purdue or almost every other school.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
This game could have been a narrow win or a narrow loss, but the fact that it was a narrow loss is probably a little better for Painter.

The main takeaway here is that the Boilers need to do a better job of taking care of the ball against this type of defense. I felt like they were close on offense, but made too many unforced errors and missed too many shots that normally I would expect them to make, including an Edey dunk. Smith is going to have a great season, but I felt like he went back down to Arkansas with a chip on his shoulder and tried to do too much.

I love that Purdue has such a challenging non-conference schedule this season. There will be highs and lows and over reactions in both directions, but I think that it will be great preparation for what comes next.

I'd bet my house that there was zero discussion about Painter’s job. If this was Duke, UK, Kansas, NC, or UCLA, there may jhave been a few words, but not at Purdue or almost every other school.
You might be right but it would be wrong by Bob not to have. If you're at a B1G school your job should be evaluated every year just like Management/Administration. If Bob can't perform his job for Purdue to the fullest then he's not equipped to make tough decisions.

Thoughts from the entire game....

Pros
1. Purdue took an athletic top 15 team to OT on road in sold out environment their first game WITH Edey in foul trouble most of the game.

2. Fletch played really well against an athletic backcourt. Sophomore jump many predicted might be on track.

3. Gillis hit open 3s in 2nd half when pressure was on that he was clanging on the road and in the tourney last year.

Cons
1. Smith was really bad. I'm one of the biggest Smith fans here too. He was trying to do too much with his passing. He's not Magic Johnson and will be fine when he makes the simple play.

2. 20 TOs. This ties into Smith too, but it's pretty amazing they turned it over this much and shot it poorly and almost won this thing.

3. Shooting. From Jones FG%, to TKRs FT struggles, to Edey and few other guys missing bunnies. Not what you want to see. For a true road game the first game of year I think 30% from three could be expected, but agree with consensus it needs to get better.

4. Heide, Waddell, and Colvin didn't play more in a free chance for them to get road game experience in a game that doesn't count. At the end of the day unfortunately don't think Morton's performance moved the needed in any direction.

All in all, a great experience to learn something in a competitive game that won't count. I'm not worried, but I see why the chicken littles are out in full force that the same problems that happened last year are still there. I think we just need the Carson GIF where he is telling Haarms to relax pinned to the top of every game thread this year.

Also what are the odds Brazille from Arkansas starts a bench clearing brawl in an SEC game this year? Glad we don't have punks like that on this team to deal with....

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
You might be right but it would be wrong by Bob not to have. If you're at a B1G school your job should be evaluated every year just like Management/Administration. If Bob can't perform his job for Purdue to the fullest then he's not equipped to make tough decisions.
Bob, and most every other AD, is looking at the big picture - not just the results of a single elimination tournament.

Big picture wise, Painter is to be applauded for his accomplishments. Not so much for his NCAA tournament, but unless Painter does something unethical or starts to tank in the regular season, his job is about as secure as it gets.

Reactions: Smokestack91
IMO we played as well as could be expected. Not sure when fans are going to look at us the way opponents and their fans do. We are a top tier team having the NPOY and 3 straight years ranked in the top 5. We are the fatted pig and with that you are going to get every teams best shot. The reality that success comes at a price has to sink in at some point. Props to the Arkansas fans they came to a sold-out exhibition game vs the #3 ranked team and killed the fatted pig. No matter how you slice it this was a great game vs a great team on their home court and their team and fans showed up. Why are our fans complaining? and what are they complaining about? Great tune up for Hawaii. Hopefully our fans get it figured out. I love this team and everyone on it I was impressed with how we showed up and showed out. What team in the country could have played better? We are in for another great year!

Also what are the odds Brazille from Arkansas starts a bench clearing brawl in an SEC game this year? Glad we don't have punks like that on this team to deal with....

Not aware of his history.....why do you say that?

Play wise, type of guy we need or any team needs, long quick, hits 3s, defends.

Edey was in foul trouble all night. CMP coached it like a regular game.
Ok, I just saw the relatively low minutes and wondered if the coaching was a little different. Either way, a OT loss at Ark is no big deal. Shooting is concerning, that is one problem.

Kind of long, but Eric Musselman had a lot of great things to say about our team in his post-game presser. Including -- believe it our not -- that he thinks we have a great shot to win it all. He gets in to some detail about the plan to defend us. I think our biggest problem was (is) our struggle with post entry passes against a long athletic team like this.

Thoughts from the entire game....

Pros
1. Purdue took an athletic top 15 team to OT on road in sold out environment their first game WITH Edey in foul trouble most of the game.

2. Fletch played really well against an athletic backcourt. Sophomore jump many predicted might be on track.

3. Gillis hit open 3s in 2nd half when pressure was on that he was clanging on the road and in the tourney last year.

Cons
1. Smith was really bad. I'm one of the biggest Smith fans here too. He was trying to do too much with his passing. He's not Magic Johnson and will be fine when he makes the simple play.

2. 20 TOs. This ties into Smith too, but it's pretty amazing they turned it over this much and shot it poorly and almost won this thing.

3. Shooting. From Jones FG%, to TKRs FT struggles, to Edey and few other guys missing bunnies. Not what you want to see. For a true road game the first game of year I think 30% from three could be expected, but agree with consensus it needs to get better.

4. Heide, Waddell, and Colvin didn't play more in a free chance for them to get road game experience in a game that doesn't count. At the end of the day unfortunately don't think Morton's performance moved the needed in any direction.

All in all, a great experience to learn something in a competitive game that won't count. I'm not worried, but I see why the chicken littles are out in full force that the same problems that happened last year are still there. I think we just need the Carson GIF where he is telling Haarms to relax pinned to the top of every game thread this year.
Agree all around. Very disappointed that Colvin, Heide and Waddell didn’t see more action in a game that didn’t matter. In the limited highlights I saw, Heide had a great baseline dunk in transition that we haven’t had a ton of (besides Jaden) in the past few years. Myles had a good jab step to get separation and knocked down a good mis range shot. Didn’t see much of Waddell.

Fletch looked great attacking and looking for his shot and Braden looked more for his shot than he did last year.

Braden did fine against athletic guards on the offensive side. Defense wasn’t terrible but not great. Arkansas did seem to hit a lot of tough (maybe more so athletic shots).

For playing together for the first time in a real game setting in a reallly tough place to play, against a team that is more athletic than any team we will play in the B1G (wish this wasn’t the case) and we had a chance to win?? I think a lot of ppl need to not overreact so much…don’t do that until mid way through February.

Painter and stubborn in the same sentence? Truer words have never been spoken .

I’m a glutton for punishment

Lak.gif

This game could have been a narrow win or a narrow loss, but the fact that it was a narrow loss is probably a little better for Painter.

The main takeaway here is that the Boilers need to do a better job of taking care of the ball against this type of defense. I felt like they were close on offense, but made too many unforced errors and missed too many shots that normally I would expect them to make, including an Edey dunk. Smith is going to have a great season, but I felt like he went back down to Arkansas with a chip on his shoulder and tried to do too much.

I love that Purdue has such a challenging non-conference schedule this season. There will be highs and lows and over reactions in both directions, but I think that it will be great preparation for what comes next.
YES!!!

Reactions: oldboiler52
Agree all around. Very disappointed that Colvin, Heide and Waddell didn’t see more action in a game that didn’t matter. In the limited highlights I saw, Heide had a great baseline dunk in transition that we haven’t had a ton of (besides Jaden) in the past few years. Myles had a good jab step to get separation and knocked down a good mis range shot. Didn’t see much of Waddell.

Fletch looked great attacking and looking for his shot and Braden looked more for his shot than he did last year.

Braden did fine against athletic guards on the offensive side. Defense wasn’t terrible but not great. Arkansas did seem to hit a lot of tough (maybe more so athletic shots).

For playing together for the first time in a real game setting in a reallly tough place to play, against a team that is more athletic than any team we will play in the B1G (wish this wasn’t the case) and we had a chance to win?? I think a lot of ppl need to not overreact so much…don’t do that until mid way through February.
Well said!!

Braden had a terrible game. Any game where your PG has 7 TO's is a bad game period. He looked rushed and panicked on way too many possessions. I like him, but no way you can watch that and say he did fine.

Reactions: Boileratthebeach
Braden had a terrible game. Any game where your PG has 7 TO's is a bad game period. He looked rushed and panicked on way too many possessions. I like him, but no way you can watch that and say he did fine.
Yeah he had 7 TOs which is awful, but also kept Purdue in the game in the first half. Looked for his shot early and hit some. His passes were nonchalant, so he needs to
Fix that. Him and Zach in the PnR are going to be lethal, but he will need to look to score out of it and not just always pass to Zach.

Also, reminder, it was a scrimmage and first real game action of the year. So therefore, his play was fine. Getting up to game speed and shaking the rust off. If he’s doing this after a month of game action, then I’m worried but cmon, it’s start of the year.

Yeah he had 7 TOs which is awful, but also kept Purdue in the game in the first half. Looked for his shot early and hit some. His passes were nonchalant, so he needs to
Fix that. Him and Zach in the PnR are going to be lethal, but he will need to look to score out of it and not just always pass to Zach.

Also, reminder, it was a scrimmage and first real game action of the year. So therefore, his play was fine. Getting up to game speed and shaking the rust off. If he’s doing this after a month of game action, then I’m worried but cmon, it’s start of the year.
I realize it was the first game and an exhibition. But each game is it's own entity. If you evaluate just this game, you have to say he didn't play well. 20 TO's for the team and 7 of them from your PG. CMP said it in the presser after the game, TO's lost the game. His words: "You can't rebound a TO". Again, I like Braden. This just wasn't a good game for him. Sure he made a few shots, but that was offset by 7 TO's. Can't have that from your PG.

I realize it was the first game and an exhibition. But each game is it's own entity. If you evaluate just this game, you have to say he didn't play well. 20 TO's for the team and 7 of them from your PG. CMP said it in the presser after the game, TO's lost the game. His words: "You can't rebound a TO". Again, I like Braden. This just wasn't a good game for him. Sure he made a few shots, but that was offset by 7 TO's. Can't have that from your PG.
Correct. I’m not panicking yet. If it’s the same thing in a month, then I will.

Exactly on point about Arkansas so then why not use it? My frustration is with Smiths turnovers and lack of extended PT for Heide and Colvin - which to some show a lack growth. It’s not a sky is falling but rather literally no demonstrated changes.
Let's see by mid december if Cam/Myles/Brian get some minutes and show they are ready. There will be some games I hope and expect to see more minutes for those guys in games they should be successful to get their feet wet. This wasn't your normal exhibition game I don't think. This was top notch way to get ready for some big games starting soon. I'll be surprised if these guys don't get minutes starting Wednesday. I kinda wondered how Braden would do with the added pressure of a game in Arkansas with so many coming to see him. He had really big moments in big games in high school and none of that may have been a factor in anything in the Arkansas game...

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I agree that is dissapointing to see, but the ball handler is usually going to be the one with the most turnovers, since they have the ball so much more than the other players, but I do think 7 is too many.

After the Arkansas game, the more I'm convinced.....

Purdue's fortunes are going to depend on how Loyer plays this year. So far he is the only one out of the 5 or 6 guys competing for minutes at the 2 and 3, who has shown the ability to score on a consistent basis. You can't win on a regular basis unless you're getting some offensive production form the 2 and 3.

The offensive production we got from Morton, Heide, Colvin, Waddell and Jones just isn't enough. Unless one or two of those guys step up and produce offensively, Loyer and Smith are going to carry a heavy load.

Purdue's fortunes are going to depend on how Loyer plays this year. So far he is the only one out of the 5 or 6 guys competing for minutes at the 2 and 3, who has shown the ability to score on a consistent basis. You can't win on a regular basis unless you're getting some offensive production form the 2 and 3.

The offensive production we got from Morton, Heide, Colvin, Waddell and Jones just isn't enough. Unless one or two of those guys step up and produce offensively, Loyer and Smith are going to carry a heavy load.
In fairness, Waddell, Colvin and Heide didn't get enough minutes to have an impact.

As I type that, I have to correct myself. Colvin and Heide both out produced Morton on those very limited minutes so I guess they did have an impact....

Agree we need production. Re3....Will make it difficult for Colvin and Heide to improve if Morton continues to get big minutes. They need court time to do so. 5 & 12 of last game needs to go way up.

Won't be pretty to start as they are freshman, but if you want them ready by years end, CMP needs to give them PT.

At this point Morton is a known quantity. Playing him big minutes now does not help team down the road in any way.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Bench him! Go ahead! But I guarantee that game never goes into OT without Braden on the floor.

I don't think Heide and Colvin got the minutes to prove their case. It seems we do that with minutes played and say players weren't productive.

Bench him! Go ahead! But I guarantee that game never goes into OT without Braden on the floor.
#1. You can't "guarantee" anything. It is your (or my) opinion, and nothing else.

#2. I don't believe I ever said he should be "benched".

Good Lord, it's a message board where fans can give their opinions. I was giving a critique of Smith's game. From my perspective he had a poor game. Never said he should be benched, or we are better without him. Just relax a little.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT