ADVERTISEMENT

Play this out, IF Zach were to return to Purdue next season...

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
How dominant would Purdue be?

THE GOOD
Bradon and Loyer - another year of EXP
Incoming class very talented
Colvin and Heide - better understanding

THE BAD
Jones is gone
As may be Morton and Gillis.

THE UGLY
Zach would be back with more EXP and summer refinements to his game.

Now, if Zach does not come back, then that would open the door for Berg and TKR to be the twin Towers of Power. Will need to replace Jones dynamicism but maybe Catchings can do that. Or Colvin.

THE GOOD

THE BAD
Jones is gone

THE UGLY

Now, if Zach does not come back, then that would open the door for Berg and TKR to be the twin Towers of Power. Will need to replace Jones dynamicism but maybe Catchings can do that. Or Colvin.
Harris will be playing the role of Jones next year. Would be nice to see Colvin step up and get out in transition the way that Jones does.

Harris will be playing the role of Jones next year. Would be nice to see Colvin step up and get out in transition the way that Jones does.

This is the hope. If not Harris, Cox or someone else .

As we don't know....also might be enough outgoing folks that another like Jones is added.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
We don't have a scholarship for Edey next year.
While technically true....this is all hypothetical BS anyway. As he is going pro.

But hypothetically should he want to come back he & Braden get the first two scholarships for next year. Again hypothetically, but if that were the case, no doubt those two get scholies.

While technically true....this is all hypothetical BS anyway. As he is going pro.

But hypothetically should he want to come back he & Braden get the first two scholarships for next year. Again hypothetically, but if that were the case, no doubt those two get scholies.
Exactly, if Edey wants to come back (he won’t) Painter would make room lol. Interesting one is Gilles, if he wants to return does Painter find a way to make that work? It would boil down to Furst likely leaving, TKR would play the 5 with Berg and the others. My guess is Furst remains and gets first crack at opening night Center with TKR staying at the 4.

Do scholarships matter anymore? Couldn’t the NIL collective just give the player the additional amount of money for their year of tuition and have them walk on? In this hypothetical scenario just give Zach another 2mil plus one year of tuition (which I assume is at the international student rate) and the “spots” problem is solved.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Do scholarships matter anymore? Couldn’t the NIL collective just give the player the additional amount of money for their year of tuition and have them walk on? In this hypothetical scenario just give Zach another 2mil plus one year of tuition (which I assume is at the international student rate) and the “spots” problem is solved.
This topic comes up fairly frequently. I may have missed it, but I have seen nothing that denies the possibility of using NIL for walk-on scholarships. If the NCAA ever anticipated that teams could "stockpile" players by using NIL to pay tuitions, and took steps to stop it, it doesn't seem to be widely known.

As an aside, I recall years ago that the NCAA cut the number of scholarships to 13 to prevent the "blue bloods" from stockpiling the best players. The goal was to gain more parity.

This is the hope. If not Harris, Cox or someone else .

As we don't know....also might be enough outgoing folks that another like Jones is added.
You're right, you never really know in today's environment, but on paper we have a lot of experience and talent back at the 1-3 in Smith, Loyer, Heide and Colvin (assuming that Catchings plays the 4). I'd be surprised if we take a back court transfer if that crew all comes back. What they really need is another ball handler and my understanding is that Harris and Cox both fit that bill and are both very college ready.

This topic comes up fairly frequently. I may have missed it, but I have seen nothing that denies the possibility of using NIL for walk-on scholarships. If the NCAA ever anticipated that teams could "stockpile" players by using NIL to pay tuitions, and took steps to stop it, it doesn't seem to be widely known.

As an aside, I recall years ago that the NCAA cut the number of scholarships to 13 to prevent the "blue bloods" from stockpiling the best players. The goal was to gain more parity.
I don’t think you’ll see stockpiling because at the end of the day there’s still only 200 minutes a game to be portioned out. It may retain you one or two players in the right situation but you’re not going to see 15 MCD AA on a team because they’re all going to want 30 minutes a game.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Painter seemed very confident he had room for Harris as the 6 incoming recruit when by all outward appearances there is only 5 spots. So you assume he knows something, that something none of us know. It could be someone does get walk on status but subsidized by NIL $$? We don’t even know if that is even allowed.

So for all the inquisitive conspiracy theorists out there, Painter is on the board of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and is involved with USA BASKETBALL. Maybe he knows of changes coming next year that affect available scholarships 🤔🧐😉🤫🤷🏼‍♂️.?. Inquiring minds will now run rampant making stuff up!

Painter seemed very confident he had room for Harris as the 6 incoming recruit when by all outward appearances there is only 5 spots. So you assume he knows something, that something none of us know. It could be someone does get walk on status but subsidized by NIL $$? We don’t even know if that is even allowed.

So for all the inquisitive conspiracy theorists out there, Painter is on the board of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and is involved with USA BASKETBALL. Maybe he knows of changes coming next year that affect available scholarships 🤔🧐😉🤫🤷🏼‍♂️.?. Inquiring minds will now run rampant making stuff up!
Agree about Painter knowing somthing we don't. My comment was more about the general topic of how NIL can be used relative to the hypothetical thread topic, and not really related to Purdue opening up a scholarsip for the 6th recruit.

Despite the scholarship issue, why else is it a given that Zach would not use his covid year for another year of eligibility?

You're right, you never really know in today's environment, but on paper we have a lot of experience and talent back at the 1-3 in Smith, Loyer, Heide and Colvin (assuming that Catchings plays the 4). I'd be surprised if we take a back court transfer if that crew all comes back. What they really need is another ball handler and my understanding is that Harris and Cox both fit that bill and are both very college ready.

Ball handling and the ability to defend man-to-man in the back-court with some gusto. Cox has a mid-range game, and Harris has range. The Boilers will have an interesting look and make-up next year....might surprise more than a few with that....we shall see.

and then there's Cam Heide and Myles Colvin on the wing as North states.....

However......still a long long way to go this season......enjoy the ride, folks.

Ball handling and the ability to defend man-to-man in the back-court with some gusto. Cox has a mid-range game, and Harris has range. The Boilers will have an interesting look and make-up next year....might surprise more than a few with that....we shall see.

and then there's Cam Heide and Myles Colvin on the wing as North states.....

However......still a long long way to go this season......enjoy the ride, folks.
Right, this season is the one, but next year should be fun to watch unfold. Do Braden and Fletch keep getting better? Do guys like Colvin, Cam, Try and Caleb make a jump? Is Berg part of the regular rotation? How do the freshmen fit in?

A lot of really nice pieces.

I understand that Harris/Cox are the ones that are supposed to take over for Jones. I'm not trying to be debby downer here. I'm just saying that is my biggest concern for next year. Expecting 1 or 2 true freshmen to be able to do what he does is asking a ton.

I understand that Harris/Cox are the ones that are supposed to take over for Jones. I'm not trying to be debby downer here. I'm just saying that is my biggest concern for next year. Expecting 1 or 2 true freshmen to be able to do what he does is asking a ton.
Totally agree, it won't happen. Harris and / or Cox will have to provide that additional ball handler but other guys are going to have to improve / step up to fill in the rest.

Reactions: Dryfly88

No argument here, Dry....looking forward to how it may unfold, regardless.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I don't see Zach coming back but it's not like he is going to be a lottery pick. He may still be lucky to go in the first round so NIL money might actually be better than NBA money. He just isn't the NBA prototype player, but he is unstoppable in college and quite frankly still has a lot to learn.

Don't rule it out, and damn skippy you know Painter will find room for him. I am curious about the NIL / Walk-on rules though. That would be an interesting option for coaches to have. Either way, there are only 15 spots on the bench so you math junkie's start counting on your fingers and toes.

Here is a dumb question: Can a non scholarship player receive NIL money? What stops teams from going over, having walk-ons that are very good, receiving NIL? Lets say Zack did come back and we are one over, would a NIL deal offset the scholarship?

The potential to cheat in big money schools like O$U, UM, ND, UA, UGa, etc, can be big.

Here is a dumb question: Can a non scholarship player receive NIL money? What stops teams from going over, having walk-ons that are very good, receiving NIL? Lets say Zack did come back and we are one over, would a NIL deal offset the scholarship?

The potential to cheat in big money schools like O$U, UM, ND, UA, UGa, etc, can be big.
The schools don't distribute or control NIL. If a walkon is marketable, they can earn as much as possible. You are asking the same question I have always had. Can you get around the scholarship limit with NIL?

Last edited:
The schools don't distribute or control NIL. If a walkon is marketable, they can earn as much as possible. You are aski ng the same question I have always had. Can you get around the scholarship limit with NIL?
Technically it's Name and Likeness so if Bill Nye the Science guy had a kid in college who didn't even play sports he could collect NIL money. I don't see why a walk-on couldn't still cash a check and play basketball.

I don’t think you’ll see stockpiling because at the end of the day there’s still only 200 minutes a game to be portioned out. It may retain you one or two players in the right situation but you’re not going to see 15 MCD AA on a team because they’re all going to want 30 minutes a game.
Ah, but there have always been 200 minutes in a game, and the "blue bloods" were stockpiling. The scholarship limit was reduced from 15 to 13 to combat it. Most of those programs promised 5-star players that they would be starters as freshmen. The old rule required a player to sit out a year if he transferred, and it inhibited transferring. The portal and eliminating that rule seems to be a good solution to stockpiling.

Technically it's Name and Likeness so if Bill Nye the Science guy had a kid in college who didn't even play sports he could collect NIL money. I don't see why a walk-on couldn't still cash a check and play basketball.

Image, too!

0x0.jpg

Don’t think Myles has that kind of speed. Harris and Cox probably won’t have that kind of speed in transition either. Purdue will lose some things and get some things, but will miss Zach as well.

Berg is an unknown in how effective he will be and I wish I was comfortable with Caleb improving some areas. Probably some growing pains early and a freshman better than we think not named Catchings who can be very good. It should be a fun year following this great year

THE GOOD

THE BAD
Jones is gone

THE UGLY

Morton being gone isn’t a bad thing for next season. Need to free up that spot. He’ll always be a Boiler.

A little related news to offer. There is always a loophole around the scholarship limit. In the past, Football and basketball teams had coach’s sons play as a walkon and they used their parent’s employment to receive basically a free college scholarship.

Wasn’t that Purdue linebacker that was the coach’s son listed as a walkon?

In a hypothetical world, Painter could adopt Gillis, and Gillis could play as a walkon and receive the Purdue employee discount.

Since we are talking hypothetical scenarios, Couldn’t Gillis be given a position as a grad assistant on the team? We do actually have them. That would pay his education costs. And he could use his eligibility to play.

My biggest concern is not the scholarships, but if players like Edey and Gillis actually found a loop hole to stay, players like TKR, Heide, and Berg might say I’m tired of being a backup and would leave.

I really wanted Eastern, Hunter and Stephens and IT to stay and provide outstanding depth on our bench. But they wanted to start rather than be demoted to being bench/role players! It was the same with that QB who left rather than be a backup.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
A little related news to offer. There is always a loophole around the scholarship limit. In the past, Football and basketball teams had coach’s sons play as a walkon and they used their parent’s employment to receive basically a free college scholarship.

Wasn’t that Purdue linebacker that was the coach’s son listed as a walkon?

In a hypothetical world, Painter could adopt Gillis, and Gillis could play as a walkon and receive the Purdue employee discount.

Since we are talking hypothetical scenarios, Couldn’t Gillis be given a position as a grad assistant on the team? We do actually have them. That would pay his education costs. And he could use his eligibility to play.

My biggest concern is not the scholarships, but if players like Edey and Gillis actually found a loop hole to stay, players like TKR, Heide, and Berg might say I’m tired of being a backup and would leave.

I really wanted Eastern, Hunter and Stephens and IT to stay and provide outstanding depth on our bench. But they wanted to start rather than be demoted to being bench/role players! It was the same with that QB who left rather than be a backup.
Agree. Issue is less around scholarship limitations and more around available playing time. I would think that MP has made commitments to younger guys at the 4 and 5. Not saying that if Zach wanted to come back (he won't) that he'd say no, but as you said there would certainly be fallout.

Reactions: Wolegib
I remember when Big Dog and Joe Barry Carroll played at Purdue. The coach said he’d love to have them back for another year. But both players were encouraged to leave and turn pro. Because of the opportunity presented to each of them.

I believe Painter encouraged Swag, Ivey and Carsen to all go pro early to take advantage of their opportunities to turn pro.

Rather than think about what is in the best interest of team, it appears every Purdue coach did what he thought was in the best interest of his player.

I believe he will do the same with Gillis and Edey.

I remember when Big Dog and Joe Barry Carroll played at Purdue. The coach said he’d love to have them back for another year. But both players were encouraged to leave and turn pro. Because of the opportunity presented to each of them.

I believe Painter encouraged Swag, Ivey and Carsen to all go pro early to take advantage of their opportunities to turn pro.

Rather than think about what is in the best interest of team, it appears every Purdue coach did what he thought was in the best interest of his player.

All that occurred before bribes l, errrr, I mean NIL became legal.

I think Carsen would have benefited by coming back to Purdue, earning NIL income, and refineing his game. Hindsight is always better I know but we can see he has not progressed in the NBA as I think he thought he would.

I'd happily take back any current Purdue player who has the eligibility and desire to come back. Obviously with the numbers it's already been determined some will be gone but I think it's pretty lame for fans to cheer for players to leave.

Reactions: Smokestack91

Joe Barry Carroll had no remaining eligibility - so, he was leaving regardless, Wole. IIRC, Glenn Robinson initially indicated he might come back, but then he left - last year of the huge rookie contracts......hard to pass that up.....at the time, was the largest rookie deal in professional sports - 10 years, $68,000,000.

I agree with your thought about Painter - he's made it very clear that he will do whatever is best for his players and will help them get to the NBA.....was really good to see him with Jaden Ivey at the draft, even though he looked a little like a fish out of water....haha.

Ask yourself, what is the purpose of a college or university! Calipari will say it is to get you the experience and knowledge required to get a job. The purpose of a college is not to stay in college as long as you can to avoid the real world.

If a player is ready for the real world, then why not wish them the best? Why try to hold them back? What is the reason other than your selfish desire for them to deliver you a championship? Have you given any consideration to what their desires may be?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT