ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those clamoring for more minutes for Colvin

Wole, Wemby has been a pro since he was 15 lol not a good comparison
Olooooooooo, we were talking about age!

Look at Berg and Haarms. They also played euro pro ball before coming to Purdue!

The question to me was what 19 year old plays good defense. I provided an answer!

You don’t like my answer?

How old were Smith and Loyer last year? They seemed to play better defense than It and Hunter and Newman who were all older and stronger

Olooooooooo, we were talking about age!

Look at Berg and Haarms. They also played euro pro ball before coming to Purdue!

The question to me was what 19 year old plays good defense. I provided an answer!

You don’t like my answer?

How old were Smith and Loyer last year? They seemed to play better defense than It and Hunter and Newman who were all older and stronger
I don’t like your answer cuz it’s a poor comparison. Colvin is 18. You could have chosen Someone else that was 18 and playing defense…probably would need to suggest someone in the ncaa since no 18 year old is in the nba right out of high school.

But there a big Difference between being a pro at 15, having 4 years as a pro and comparing that to a kid who hasn’t been pro or played a pro schedule and to a kid who won’t turn 19 until August of this year.

Smith and Loyer were both 19 their Frosh years which is still older than Myles right now. Myles wont be 19 until his sophomore year. Smith and Loyer had to play to fill an need…and learned on the fly. They got exposed at times and Loyer continues to. Smith still isn’t the best on ball defender as shown vs Michigan this Sunday with Burnett cookin him up.

Also, Haarms didn’t play pro before Purdue.

The Top 25 was just posted in another thread. You may want to take a look at the teams on that list, outside the B1G, that Purdue has beaten.
Playing in November & playing in March are 2 totally different situations. I also mentioned specifically, lower seeded teams, that have nothing to lose, are going to throw things at Purdue that they haven't seen. My point was, CMP hasn't faired well at adjusting to those in the tournament.... N. Texas, Ark LR, FDU, St. Peters, etc... are all perfect examples. If you think losing to these teams shows that he has competency in March, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Playing in November & playing in March are 2 totally different situations. I also mentioned specifically, lower seeded teams, that have nothing to lose, are going to throw things at Purdue that they haven't seen. My point was, CMP hasn't faired well at adjusting to those in the tournament.... N. Texas, Ark LR, FDU, St. Peters, etc... are all perfect examples. If you think losing to these teams shows that he has competency in March, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
People tend to forget the Deer in headlights meltdown vs Cincinnati as well.. I know its because Cinci isn't a "small mid major" type team but we absolutely melted down in that one and lost in OT. Just like the other games mentioned above...

Same could be said for Loyer.. Can he defend as well as Morton?
No, he simply doesn't have the size to. However, he understands positioning and footwork much better than Colvin... He also doesn't make the simple mistake of losing his man consistently that allows each layups/dunks...

Reactions: boilerzz
I disagree.... he gets beat to the basket time & time again... rewatch the Michigan game.
Getting beat to the basket 1 v 1 defending is completely different than being off ball and falling asleep allowing your guy a clear lane to the bucket... That's Colvin's biggest problem and that's a MUCH bigger problem than simply being beat off the dribble... Cause he also gets beat off the dribble... That also tells me he's simply not focusing on defense... I noticed that in high school with him. even in his highlights he would get beat off the dribble but could block the shot due to his athleticism. he has the tools, unlike Loyer, hes simply not putting them to use or still hasn't learned how...

So making adjustments…just in the Michigan game alone he played Heide 19 mins, Loyer 25 mins and Morton 3. Those mins were the lowest Morton played since he was a sophomore. Cam closed out the game, which is usually Morton or Loyer.

Let’s go a few games back where painter tinkered with his lineup and had Colvin come in 3 straight games at the 5 min mark in the first half. That hadn’t happened since Maui.

Let’s talk about the defensive adjustment on minnesotas guards where Morton clamped down on Christie and jones clamped on Mitchell in the 2nd half. Or maybe when we defended the PnR vs Buie at Mackey and almost gave a zone look after we switched on him. Or even when Gillis/TKR will hedge out on screens instead of switching like normally we do.

That’s just a few adjustments that he’s made. I’m sure there are tons more that I missed.
If you read my post, I specifically said he's not good at making adjustments against unfamiliar teams. Playing in the B1G, everyone has everyone scouted. Not that difficult to figure out what teams do. Lets see what he does in March against the mid majors... I eat, sleep & breath Purdue basketball, so I want with a passion to get to a FF & win a title... but I've seen how this all ends way to many times. This is by far Purdue's best chance to win a title. The stars are all aligned. Hopefully CMP will bring it home this year.

Getting beat to the basket 1 v 1 defending is completely different than being off ball and falling asleep allowing your guy a clear lane to the bucket... That's Colvin's biggest problem and that's a MUCH bigger problem than simply being beat off the dribble... Cause he also gets beat off the dribble... That also tells me he's simply not focusing on defense... I noticed that in high school with him. even in his highlights he would get beat off the dribble but could block the shot due to his athleticism. he has the tools, unlike Loyer, hes simply not putting them to use or still hasn't learned how...
I really don't care if it's Colvin, Heide, or whoever... all are better than Loyer at this point. CMP has had numerous chances to get these guys alot more playing time & experience than he has. All should be in the game when we're up 20+ points & not the starters.

I really don't care if it's Colvin, Heide, or whoever... all are better than Loyer at this point. CMP has had numerous chances to get these guys alot more playing time & experience than he has. All should be in the game when we're up 20+ points & not the starters.
We'll, I will agree to disagree that Colvin is better than Loyer right now. I think that's a major stretch. Colvin certainly has a higher ceiling though, no doubt. IMO if anyone should take the starting position away from him it should be Cam. Loyer has a higher defensive rating than either Miles or Heide though... Heide gets beat off the dribble as much as Loyer. He positions himself better for rebounds and doesn't lose his assignment off ball compared to Colvin though. As of right now Heide is the better offensive threat too.

What can a team do that Purdue hasn't seen? Been trying to figure that one out and can't think of something Purdue hasn't seen. Prior to FDU Purdue hadn't seen run&jump that I could recall, but I think Purdue has seen all that is out there. Now maybe Purdue hasn't seen some area as good as it gets, but I don't think there is anything new?

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
What can a team do that Purdue hasn't seen? Been trying to figure that one out and can't think of something Purdue hasn't seen. Prior to FDU Purdue hadn't seen run&jump that I could recall, but I think Purdue has seen all that is out there. Now maybe Purdue hasn't seen some area as good as it gets, but I don't think there is anything new?
Maybe Purdue has seen it but not enough to scheme against it consistently... Whatever Northwestern and Nebraska have done consistently the last 2 years would suffice...

Maybe Purdue has seen it but not enough to scheme against it consistently... Whatever Northwestern and Nebraska have done consistently the last 2 years would suffice...
Hit tough 3 pt shots would be it with an ability to score off of a drive. Any team that does that "can" beat Purdue or UConn. Any team that can hit those and is not a threat inside the arc will not beat Purdue under an average game by Purdue. There are a finite ways of defending things inside the court. Northwestern and Nebraska was more about personnel while hitting those tough shots than any scheme IMO. Any team of similar players that hit tough shots put themselves in a position to beat Purdue. Take Boo or Tominaga having just good games and and that makes it unlikely they win. NW had another advantage in that they had 3 bodies willing to use fouls against Zach because they were not needed on offense and so it isn't scheme being different, but the personnel with their style of play...more player matchup issue I believe than approach.

All teams are using ball screens, off ball screens and dribble handoffs behind the arc. You either go over the top, go under, hedge (for some duration) and rotate generally from the opposite corner (weakside) to hold up the diver a bit by getting in the lane. How effective you do those things and how effective they are on their end determines a lot of the game. Each team may require different tweaks in different things, but that is generally what Purdue has seen and will see in defending the 3 ball with man. More dribble drive teams find Purdue different that dribble drive teams. Purdue's 3 ball many times is off Zach or from inside the lane due to Braden's penetration that has the Purdue people ready to catch and shoot already facing the basket off Zach or Braden many times.

Naturally, if you have one main guy you are worried about you may devote more to him when he is being involved. None of the coaches have anything on Matt and Matt has no new scheme on his end they haven't seen although Zach is quite different from others that other teams defend...

The coach can't make FTs for them or just hit shots, rebound and defend. They can only try to get them in the right spots on D and O and the rest is up to them...

I would be surprised if Colvin starts next year....behind on both sides of the ball.

I think 2 freshmen start next year. If not I question how good the class is as the opportunity is there.
Honestly I’d like to see loyer get knocked out of the starting lineup. Other than Tennessee and Arizona, 2 games he played that are wayyyyy above where his talent level is, I just don’t think he’s dynamic enough for a top level team.

If you read my post, I specifically said he's not good at making adjustments against unfamiliar teams. Playing in the B1G, everyone has everyone scouted. Not that difficult to figure out what teams do. Lets see what he does in March against the mid majors... I eat, sleep & breath Purdue basketball, so I want with a passion to get to a FF & win a title... but I've seen how this all ends way to many times. This is by far Purdue's best chance to win a title. The stars are all aligned. Hopefully CMP will bring it home this year.
Agreed.
If they don't I'll be sad.
While you will continue to ignore what he does and slam him.

Honestly I’d like to see loyer get knocked out of the starting lineup. Other than Tennessee and Arizona, 2 games he played that are wayyyyy above where his talent level is, I just don’t think he’s dynamic enough for a top level team.

Anytime a great starter loses a spot to a frosh or a portal player because they are talented, the TEAM just gets better. All for that.

At this point, it’s Purdue playing their game. Don’t turn the ball over/take care of the ball and they put themselves in a great position to win the game.

At this point, it’s Purdue playing their game. Don’t turn the ball over/take care of the ball and they put themselves in a great position to win the game.
yes, but in reference to what I wrote Purdue does need to do its thing, but should be able to adapt to whatever the other team does knowing it has seen any scheme several times...with each difference not the scheme as much as the player differences that may make a scheme more or less successful .

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
He hit a wall. Purdue was losing games. People were calling for him to come off the bench. You weren't one of them? But Painter had faith in him. Up to this point, it's the same scenario.
There were a few that were doing that, he had like a 4-18 game, I remember a few called for a off the bench role, thankfully, it wasn’t many, just the ones that live and die over this. Right now Colvin is 10th man, I’m fine with it, hope he stays and fights for a starting job next year, if for some reason he elects not to it’s his choice, most every team has players leave, Painter actually does a nice job of keeping most of his guys. I think Colvin is going to be a real good player, he’s not there yet, he’ll get there.

Last edited:
So I believe we should all just agree to disagree at this point. No one on this forum wants Miles to fail. We ALL see his tremendous upside and potential. There is a side of the fan base that believe he is not ready yet due to glaring defensive issues and there is a side that see the huge upside to his offense and potential. One thing we can all agree is we want him to succeed and if its this year or next year we will all, together, be cheering his success on. He's a good kid who has tremendous upside. He just needs to lock in on defense. No one in this forum not even his parents will be able to get the best out of him. he has to make the decision on his own to work his butt of, put in some extra time and I guarantee he will come out a better for it. I believe he is the only guy on the current roster who can be a 1st round pick. Hell, I think, if he puts in the work, he could be a lottery pick.. Call me crazy but he has the tools. However, at this point in time Heide is one up in terms of playing time. That's also a good thing cause he brings a new wrinkle other teams haven't seen.
Colvin, if he doesn't want to work on his complete game, might be better served to look at transferring to a school where defense is less important than offense. And before some of you get your panties up your arse, I didn't say anything about wanting him to leave...it's just that I have very little faith that he'll ever be good enough at the defensive side to play the way he's going to have to play under CMP.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
Colvin, if he doesn't want to work on his complete game, might be better served to look at transferring to a school where defense is less important than offense. And before some of you get your panties up your arse, I didn't say anything about wanting him to leave...it's just that I have very little faith that he'll ever be good enough at the defensive side to play the way he's going to have to play under CMP.
Will he be as good as Sasha or Cline was on defense? Those guys were good at defense, right?

He can be much better if he wants to be, but he isn’t now. And yes they weren’t good on defense.

I'd agree if Heide had more than one hero game this year and otherwise hasn't really screamed out start me you won't regret it.

Despite a lot of protestations earlier in the month, I think everyone is more or less on board with the fact that Loyer has slumps and that he's currently in one.

We also know when he's on, he can get you high 20s without breaking a sweat. I don't know that we know that about Heide yet.

I think you start Loyer and see what he has. But if he misses those first few shots, he almost never comes back in the second half. That's when you give more minutes to Heide (first) or Colvin, see if one of them is feeling it, and go from there.

But you gotta see which Loyer you are going to get, because "good" Loyer is a game changer.

Having said that, if Heide pops off a couple more hero games before the tournament ok maybe you rethink things.

I'd agree if Heide had more than one hero game this year and otherwise hasn't really screamed out start me you won't regret it.

Despite a lot of protestations earlier in the month, I think everyone is more or less on board with the fact that Loyer has slumps and that he's currently in one.

We also know when he's on, he can get you high 20s without breaking a sweat. I don't know that we know that about Heide yet.

I think you start Loyer and see what he has. But if he misses those first few shots, he almost never comes back in the second half. That's when you give more minutes to Heide (first) or Colvin, see if one of them is feeling it, and go from there.

But you gotta see which Loyer you are going to get, because "good" Loyer is a game changer.

Having said that, if Heide pops off a couple more hero games before the tournament ok maybe you rethink things.
Serious question: Has Loyer ever started off poorly and ended up with a good game? It sure seems like it can be determined by the first TV timeout or close to that.

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
Serious question: Has Loyer ever started off poorly and ended up with a good game? It sure seems like it can be determined by the first TV timeout or close to that.

Not sure but I think he did last year where he had a big second half in a game.

Loyer has had what ? 2-3 good games, out of 28 games . And they were against teams early in the seasons that probably weren’t familiar with us, now the scouting reports are here teams are being physical with him and he isn’t strong enough to handle that

Loyer has had what ? 2-3 good games, out of 28 games . And they were against teams early in the seasons that probably weren’t familiar with us, now the scouting reports are here teams are being physical with him and he isn’t strong enough to handle that
Even if you ignore the mid-major games, he's had good games against Tennessee, Northwestern (twice), Iowa (twice), Arizona, Maryland, Nebraska, Indiana, and Wisconsin. In those 10 games, he averaged 17.3 points and 50% from three (27-54).

Dude is definitely inconsistent and polarizing as a scorer, but to suggest he's had 2-3 good games is extremely disingenuous.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing. Purdue’s defense is just ok. They are small in positions 1-3. Many teams have six foot five and six guards. Purdue has trouble stopping the dribble against quick guards. They have no defensive stopper, Jones is good but not a stopper. Morton can slow guys who went off against the starters, but not a stopper. Purdue will need to outscore some teams. Another guy who can hit for 20+ on a given night would help Zach, Smith and Jones. Like it or not Loyer is that guy and coaches are hoping he will break out. If not, it will be scoring by committee with Heide and Colvin in the mix off the bench.

Reactions: Gemini95
Not to me, but think maybe "one" game I remember. I think he had a poor shooting game in a game last year and then ended up hitting the winning basket after a feed to Zach and a kick back out (Michigan/OSU?). He also has made a couple of really good passes to Zach at the end of the game and one bad pass at the end of another.

If the hypothesis is that Fletch is either on or off as I believe I've read on the forum in various threads is a fact...which may be, there are tests that can confirm that for any so interested in gathering the data and plugging in the numbers. Data that might be gathered is makes/shots taken for 3pt shots, 2pt Fgs...maybe Fts for the first half and also for the second half to try to determine if the second half is no different from the first half. I believe that is the interest I read. Naturally you could go further in breaking apart as well as combining pre-conference vs. conference games...top defensive teams (in the net versus non top defensive games). However, you wanted to compare one group versus another on historical data with the assumption it will represent the future as well. Anyway, not suggesting you, but anyone with an interest might review the link after their data and plug and chug the numbers?. I think the sample size and percent misses would certainly be large enough to calculate a Z score for normal curve comparison. Other's doing this in school at this time may not need a review at all???

Last edited:
Not to me, but think maybe "one" game I remember. I think he had a poor shooting game in a game last year and then ended up hitting the winning basket after a feed to Zach and a kick back out (Michigan/OSU?). He also has made a couple of really good passes to Zach at the end of the game and one bad pass at the end of another.

If the hypothesis is that Fletch is either on or off as I believe I've read on the forum in various threads is a fact...which may be, there are tests that can confirm that for any so interested in gathering the data and plugging in the numbers. Data that might be gathered is makes/misses for 3pt shots, 2pt Fgs...maybe Fts for the first half and also for the second half to try to determine if the second half is no different from the first half. I believe that is the interest I read. Naturally you could go further in breaking apart as well as combining pre-conference vs. conference games...top defensive teams (in the net versus non top defensive games). However, you wanted to compare one group versus another on historical data with the assumption it will represent the future as well. Anyway, not suggesting you, but anyone with an interest might review the link after their data and plug and chug the numbers?

It's not a matter of comparing 1st half to 2nd half. It's a question if you can tell in the first 5 minutes how he is going to do?

I'm saying you can tell by 5 minutes in if we are getting good Loyer or bad. So far 1 poster has said they can think of maybe 1 game where it wasn't the case. I guess you said you could think of 1.

Myles must have said something mean about RMK.
One thing for sure, Colvin would not have played on a Knight coached team with his bull fighter defense and his shoot first mentality. Intelligence, even at a third grade level, is enough to know that he's not ready to play more than clean up minutes at this level.

Hopefully, but yet to be seen, is if he'll ever get the concept of keeping the other guys from scoring from effort he's made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT