ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Minnesota Game Thread

You,re wrong. He takes 2 dribbles and jumps off his left foot. A text book jump stop. The rule for ending the dribble means he stopped rather than jumping. Either you're wrong or jump stops have been improperly called forever.

For him to pivot after the jump stop, he needs to end his dribble after he jumps off his left foot.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_(basketball), I'm highlighting what happened in bold. If Trevion were to be judged that he ended his dribble in mid-air after the hop off the left foot, then he can pivot when he lands. Clearly, the official judged him to end the dribble with a foot on the floor, meaning he can't pivot after he lands.

Art. 4. A player who catches the ball while moving or ends a dribble may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:

a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot;
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can be the pivot foot.
b. When one foot is on the playing court:
1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step;
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can then be the pivot foot.

For him to pivot after the jump stop, he needs to end his dribble after he jumps off his left foot.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_(basketball), I'm highlighting what happened in bold. If Trevion were to be judged that he ended his dribble in mid-air after the hop off the left foot, then he can pivot when he lands. Clearly, the official judged him to end the dribble with a foot on the floor, meaning he can't pivot after he lands.

Art. 4. A player who catches the ball while moving or ends a dribble may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:

a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot;
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can be the pivot foot.
b. When one foot is on the playing court:
1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step;
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can then be the pivot foot.
You're still wrong. I don't think you're understanding what it means to end a dribble. You can't jump and dribble at the same time.

You're still wrong. I don't think you're understanding what it means to end a dribble. You can't jump and dribble at the same time.

He ends the dribble and then jumps.

If he were to jump and then end the dribble, it would be legal to pivot.

Notice here at 30 seconds how the instructor moves his left hand to the ball to end the dribble after he jumped off his right foot.

He ends the dribble and then jumps.

If he were to jump and then end the dribble, it would be legal to pivot.

Notice here at 30 seconds how the instructor moves his left hand to the ball to end the dribble after he jumped off his right foot.
So we finally agree. Travion did not stop and jump. He dribbled into his jump and then pivoted after. Look at the differences between the jump stop in your video and the one executed by Travion

Doesn't matter at this point. Many contributed to last night's loss. Trevion shouldn't have been put in a situation where a call, good or bad, affected the outcome. I'm hoping the young guys reflect and accept responsibility for each of their roles in the last 5 minutes of the game. Ivey is incredibly athletic but until he realizes that there isn't a big red S on his chest he's going to be out of control in late game situations.

Doesn't matter at this point. Many contributed to last night's loss. Trevion shouldn't have been put in a situation where a call, good or bad, affected the outcome. I'm hoping the young guys reflect and accept responsibility for each of their roles in the last 5 minutes of the game. Ivey is incredibly athletic but until he realizes that there isn't a big red S on his chest he's going to be out of control in late game situations.
True. I'm not trying to be a jerk - just discussing the rules. Also, I fully understand why a ref could call it travel. It's not easy in real time.

So we finally agree. Travion did not stop and jump. He dribbled into his jump and then pivoted after. Look at the differences between the jump stop in your video and the one executed by Travion

It doesn't sound like we agree, since I think the video proves he traveled.

I do agree with internet stranger "Raymond" here: https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96357-pivot-after-jump-stop-print.html

The rule spells it out quite well. If the dribble has ended and you jump off one foot then land on 2 feet you get no pivot. If you gather the ball while in the air and land on 2 feet you get a pivot foot b/c that is no different than landing after catching a pass or grabbing a rebound.

I'm interested in understanding why you disagree with me, but I'm not sure it's going to happen in this forum. Boiler up.

It doesn't sound like we agree, since I think the video proves he traveled.

I do agree with internet stranger "Raymond" here: https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96357-pivot-after-jump-stop-print.html

The rule spells it out quite well. If the dribble has ended and you jump off one foot then land on 2 feet you get no pivot. If you gather the ball while in the air and land on 2 feet you get a pivot foot b/c that is no different than landing after catching a pass or grabbing a rebound.

I'm interested in understanding why you disagree with me, but I'm not sure it's going to happen in this forum. Boiler up.
I disagree because he dribbled into his jump. We will just have to agree to disagree. By the way, this says it all: Dakich agrees with you, but Painter agrees with me. I like Painter better.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
You’re the one that doesn’t understand what ends a dribble, as your last statement is completely false. A player could grab a defensive board, start his dribble, and hop the complete length of the floor while dribbling all the way to the other end for a layup, completely legally.

By definition, a dribble ends when the dribbler catches, gathers, possesses the ball in his hands.

You’re the one that doesn’t understand what ends a dribble, as your last statement is completely false. A player could grab a defensive board, start his dribble, and hop the complete length of the floor while dribbling all the way to the other end for a layup, completely legally.

By definition, a dribble ends when the dribbler catches, gathers, possesses the ball in his hands.
It looks to me that he gathers the ball when he jumps. That would allow a pivot since he landed on 2 feet. Sorry you're so upset. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just agree with Painter who said it wasn't a travel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT