ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Minnesota Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
The Purdue Boilermakers are back "on the road again" as they take on the Minnesota Golden Gophers in Williams Arena in a rare week-day afternoon game, with tip re-scheduled for 5:00 pm (Eastern time). Television coverage is on ESPN2.

This is the return match-up between the two teams this season, with Purdue having defeated Minnesota 81-62 back on January 30. Purdue trailed 35-30 at the half and finished with a 51-27 second half blitz to put the game away. Eric Hunter turned in a fine defensive performance on Marcus Carr, but I would expect Carr to have a more productive game in more friendlier confines. Sasha Stefanovic did not play in the first game being out due to COVID-19 protocols, so it will be interesting to see how that changes the game. Since that game, Purdue has split its two games, and Minnesota has done the same.

Purdue needs to be more consistent with its execution. One key stat all year has been turnovers. Interestingly toward that - the Minnesota offense has recorded a turnover on only 15.3 percent of its possessions, which is the 12th-lowest rate in the country. The Purdue defense has forced opposing teams to turn the ball over on just 17.2 percent of all possessions (ranked 287th among Division I teams). So if the Boilers can limit extra possessions on their side (control the glass and limit the mistakes), that will be a key because they can't expect to turn Minnesota over to a large degree. I think it's pretty much the same rest of the formula for the Boilers - make the extra pass, hit the good shots working the paint and the perimeter.....and being able to keep Trevion Williams on the floor to set the tone....when he needs a break - then Zach Edey can come in for relief and not worry about his fouls.

Brandon Newman had a career high 29 points (3rd best freshman performance in school history); can he continue to be a big force on offense today? Eric Hunter and Jaden Ivey will still have their hands full with Marcus Carr and the rest of the Minnesota back-court. I think this will be a highly competitive game much like the first half of the last game....Minnesota is quite capable of breaking through in this game, and they are favored. Can the Boilers start the game like they finished the last one? If so, the Boilers are likely to get another big road win. Regardless, they'll need to make enough big plays when it counts to come out on top. We shall see shortly if they can...

Boiler Up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

The Purdue Boilermakers are back "on the road again" as they take on the Minnesota Golden Gophers in Williams Arena in a rare week-day afternoon game, with tip re-scheduled for 5:00 pm (Eastern time). Television coverage is on ESPN2.

This is the return match-up between the two teams this season, with Purdue having defeated Minnesota 81-62 back on January 30. Purdue trailed 35-30 at the half and finished with a 51-27 second half blitz to put the game away. Eric Hunter turned in a fine defensive performance on Marcus Carr, but I would expect Carr to have a more productive game in more friendlier confines. Sasha Stefanovic did not play in the first game being out due to COVID-19 protocols, so it will be interesting to see how that changes the game. Since that game, Purdue has split its two games, and Minnesota has done the same.

Purdue needs to be more consistent with its execution. One key stat all year has been turnovers. Interestingly toward that - the Minnesota offense has recorded a turnover on only 15.3 percent of its possessions, which is the 12th-lowest rate in the country. The Purdue defense has forced opposing teams to turn the ball over on just 17.2 percent of all possessions (ranked 287th among Division I teams). So if the Boilers can limit extra possessions on their side (control the glass and limit the mistakes), that will be a key because they can't expect to turn Minnesota over to a large degree. I think it's pretty much the same rest of the formula for the Boilers - make the extra pass, hit the good shots working the paint and the perimeter.....and being able to keep Trevion Williams on the floor to set the tone....when he needs a break - then Zach Edey can come in for relief and not worry about his fouls.

Brandon Newman had a career high 29 points (3rd best freshman performance in school history); can he continue to be a big force on offense today? Eric Hunter and Jaden Ivey will still have their hands full with Marcus Carr and the rest of the Minnesota back-court. I think this will be a highly competitive game much like the first half of the last game....Minnesota is quite capable of breaking through in this game, and they are favored. Can the Boilers start the game like they finished the last one? If so, the Boilers are likely to get another big road win. Regardless, they'll need to make enough big plays when it counts to come out on top. We shall see shortly if they can...

Boiler Up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
This us a big one. Hope Purdue is dominant inside pulling some of the defenders inside, but leery of too many long misses inaddition to the typical concerns. Hope I'm not talking about shot selection in what we think will be close. Almost picked knows creek or st elmoes, but stayed will bulleit in memory of northwestern game

Come on Boilers....Channel your best Katie Geralds for this one!! (For youngsters not following PWBB historically, Katie ALWAYS shot lights out in the Barn. Her favorite venue outside of Mackey).

Reactions: tjreese
It's always nice to watch a game and not care who the refs are. Then somebody blurts out.. Bo. Damn is he there now?

Newman from downtown!
Might of had another had Eric passed to him open on the wing instead of Jaden on the baseline. B if Brandon is open and has time he is a pretty solid option normally

Reactions: TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT