ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Illinois Game Thread

We’re better than that! Yes we had guys play poorly but those refs were helping play defense with Illinois most of the game, anyone that disagrees didn’t watch the game.

You have to think it's a slump because he's shown he is capable before. Mentally that can impact you as well and it can drag on and on......... I've had it happen to me when I was playing competitive sports back in the day. It happens.

If that is truly the case then he can break out of that slump and let's hope he does it next game back at home.
I don't think there is a question that it is mental, but it has been almost the whole season to date

Reactions: purduepat1969
You have to think it's a slump because he's shown he is capable before. Mentally that can impact you as well and it can drag on and on......... I've had it happen to me when I was playing competitive sports back in the day. It happens.

If that is truly the case then he can break out of that slump and let's hope he does it next game back at home.

I don't think there is a question that it is mental, but it has been almost the whole season to date

Pure speculation, but I'll toss this out there as well....he came back well ahead of schedule from the leg fracture, and maybe this is also part of getting a second wind....both mentally and physically.....it's such a fine line. This evening, he seemed to be pressing even more so. I'm pretty confident that once he gets it back under control, he'll be much more consistent. CMP also needs him for his defense and experience, although I think if he was getting more solid consistent production from Jaden Ivey and Ethan Morton....he'd maybe let EH watch a little to catch up when he's stuck in a rut.

Meanwhile, Aaron Wheeler in a reduced role from the bench seems to have found a way to produce more efficiently and have a positive impact when he's on the floor.....so there's that.

Pure speculation, but I'll toss this out there as well....he came back well ahead of schedule from the leg fracture, and maybe this is also part of getting a second wind....both mentally and physically.....it's such a fine line. This evening, he seemed to be pressing even more so. I'm pretty confident that once he gets it back under control, he'll be much more consistent. CMP also needs him for his defense and experience, although I think if he was getting more solid consistent production from Jaden Ivey and Ethan Morton....he'd maybe let EH watch a little to catch up when he's stuck in a rut.

Meanwhile, Aaron Wheeler in a reduced role from the bench seems to have found a way to produce more efficiently and have a positive impact when he's on the floor.....so there's that.
Purdue needs him for the reasons you stated. I have no idea what is going on with him, but a good hunter might have been enough tonight. A MSU and IU WIN would do wonders for this team. Oops the Husker are up next

Reactions: Boilermb and TX4GB
Illinois is a very good team, with some very good athletes. They has some well tempered veterans. We played at our age, which is very young. It is next year when we kick ass. This year we learn.
Agree. A lot of this LEAGUE is going to be in the NBA next year.

Reactions: tjreese
Illinois is a very good team, with some very good athletes. They has some well tempered veterans. We played at our age, which is very young. It is next year when we kick ass. This year we learn.
Fully agree. My concern is why we're playing Sasha 32 mpg and Hunter 30 mpg when Ivey could play more than 15 mpg and get more experience. Maybe their minutes will start coming down as Ivey gets more consistent. I love Hunter, but he's not been very good, part of which may be due to coming back too quickly...

Our margin for error is so, so slim. We have to play a near perfect game to beat anybody because we can’t count on anyone to go get a bucket. Tre could be that guy if he could ever figure out how to hit a free throw.
Tre has to shoot a higher percentage. Opponents shoot bascially the same percentage from 3 as he does at the rim. That is a bad trade. He did match Kofi on points but with twice as many attempts. Our offense is flawed given the inability to defend.

Reactions: PurdueDave
Tre has to shoot a higher percentage. Opponents shoot bascially the same percentage from 3 as he does at the rim. That is a bad trade. He did match Kofi on points but with twice as many attempts. Our offense is flawed given the inability to defend.
We had a lot of issues yesterday, but Tre wasn’t one of them, imo. Tre and Sasha played well, but outside of that, we weren’t very good. IT played well in garbage time.

I agree with the sentiment, but I haven't given up on this year. ;) I think the incremental improvement for Purdue will be greater than many others due to youth, coaching and potential. Depending on how far behind Purdue is compared to the opponents, and the possibility of Eric finding himself, I'm hopeful for some wins down the road. If Purdue can string the next three together with some solid play (Neb, MSU and IU), who knows where they could end?

No question Illinois missed Fts and the disparity in scores would have grown, but we saw some potential and minutes later slumps, but there is no question that Purdue is not playing near their potential is you assume that the youth does not limit the potential ceiling much. I like the fight and hope the growth on O and D continues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT