ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Indiana: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Excited for the game, but it just isn't the same since we aren't in Indiana for the winters anymore. I never realized how much of the rivalry for me was discussing/arguing about it at work and with neighbors. Down here in Florida no one cares about it and it just becomes another game. I don't miss the cold, but I do miss the special nature of this game! Boiler UP!

Indiana is a very average team with a very average coach. We play in Bloomington and the past couple of years they have had a player have a career night. We have much better guard play this year than last year. The addition of Lance and the development of Braden make the difference. Our guards don't need to exceptional tonight but they need to be good. If so, Boilers by 12.

Reactions: Schnelk
Indiana is a very average team with a very average coach. We play in Bloomington and the past couple of years they have had a player have a career night. We have much better guard play this year than last year. The addition of Lance and the development of Braden make the difference. Our guards don't need to exceptional tonight but they need to be good. If so, Boilers by 12.
We're not very good but the Hall will be on fire. We had Kansas beat without XJ before choking that away. Should be a barn burner. I say Purdue by 5.

Time to win back one of our B10 'expected' losses.
Go Boilers!!!!!
This is an expected loss?
I don't remember anyone having a career day at Assembly Hall last year.

Some extra betting props for your fancy. We've actually got some PRAs for this one (points+rebs+assists).

PRA
Loyer 15.5
Jones 16.5
Edey 35.5
Ware 23.5
Reneau 23.5

Loyer 11.5
Edey 20.5
Ware 13.5
Reneau 13.5

3s
Jones 2.5 (big juiced to the under)
Loyer 1.5

Rebounds
Edey 10.5
Ware 8.5
Reneau 5.5

Keys to victory - IMO.

1. Limit Reneau - he is a legit scorer but keeping his points down and hopefully getting into early foul trouble.

2. Intensity - have to come out and exceed their intensity. They had it early against Kansas but ran out of steam/energy and lost that game because they just didn’t have it any more.

3. Manage pressure - you know they will pressure us on our screens and handoffs to disrupt our offense.

4. 2nd half spark plug Lance - need him to do that in the first as well as the second

5. Engaged Loyer - he tends to get frustrated when he is getting mauled and backs off. Need him to step up and have a big game.

6. Stupid Smith passes - make smart passes not these stupid momentum changing turnovers that make 0 sense. Also, have the midrange clicking.

7. Bench - Cam and Mason need to give us 12-20 off the bench pts. I would love a baseline dunk or allyoop from Cam too that crushes their souls.

Reactions: rjmpu82
Keys to victory - IMO.

1. Limit Reneau - he is a legit scorer but keeping his points down and hopefully getting into early foul trouble.

2. Intensity - have to come out and exceed their intensity. They had it early against Kansas but ran out of steam/energy and lost that game because they just didn’t have it any more.

3. Manage pressure - you know they will pressure us on our screens and handoffs to disrupt our offense.

4. 2nd half spark plug Lance - need him to do that in the first as well as the second

5. Engaged Loyer - he tends to get frustrated when he is getting mauled and backs off. Need him to step up and have a big game.

6. Stupid Smith passes - make smart passes not these stupid momentum changing turnovers that make 0 sense. Also, have the midrange clicking.

7. Bench - Cam and Mason need to give us 12-20 off the bench pts. I would love a baseline dunk or allyoop from Cam too that crushes their souls.

YES!!! I feel the "4" will be where we need to pick it up. Reneau is their strong point I believe. Our guys that are usually not big threats can contribute tonight in different ways. If everyone brings their best, we are A lot better than Indiana I believe, but we have to show up!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Never expect to win in Bloomington, no matter how the teams are stacked. IU has significant talent this year but they haven't always put it together night after night. They're formidable and it will be a dog fight.

It was both places. He went off more in West Lafayette, but we still couldn't stop him at IU. That short jumper killed us.
He had a decent game. 16 and 4 assists and 2 steals. Went 8-15 from the floor. The game was really about Purdue losing poise in the first half and getting down big. Got back in it but it was mostly TJD and Edey trading baskets down the stretch. We had a chance to win but turned it over too much in the clutch minutes.

Reactions: TopicTalk
Excited for the game, but it just isn't the same since we aren't in Indiana for the winters anymore. I never realized how much of the rivalry for me was discussing/arguing about it at work and with neighbors. Down here in Florida no one cares about it and it just becomes another game. I don't miss the cold, but I do miss the special nature of this game! Boiler UP!
Well it is really cold now! ;)

If Purdue gets them rattled and makes a run, someone needs to tell them to keep their foot on the gas. Hate the late game comeback's

Some extra betting props for your fancy. We've actually got some PRAs for this one (points+rebs+assists).

PRA
Loyer 15.5
Jones 16.5
Edey 35.5
Ware 23.5
Reneau 23.5

Loyer 11.5
Edey 20.5
Ware 13.5
Reneau 13.5

3s
Jones 2.5 (big juiced to the under)
Loyer 1.5

Rebounds
Edey 10.5
Ware 8.5
Reneau 5.5
I’m never seen a smith prop on DK…side question, but any idea on how they decide who to use for prop bets?

I’m never seen a smith prop on DK…side question, but any idea on how they decide who to use for prop bets?
Not particularly, obviously the marquee players, but from my experience it varies a bit from game to game. I've seen a Smith PRA I think once before, certainly never for Loyer, so that's a little odd.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. The #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (15-2; 4-2) are in Bloomington, Indiana to take on the Indiana Hoosiers (12-5; 4-2) in a key conference clash. Tip-off is set for approximately 7:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on Peacock.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Indiana - Malik Reneau, Mackenzie Mgbako, Kel'el Ware, Gabe Cupps, and Trey Galloway

On the season, the Hoosiers are putting up an average of 74.4 points per game on the year, leaving them 191st in the nation in scoring offense. Indiana is collecting an average of 35.9 rebounds a night while dishing out an average of 15.6 assists per contest. The Hoosiers have been slightly below average defensively, allowing an average of 72.5 points per contest, putting them 213th in the nation in scoring defense. Malik Reneau leads the team with 16.3 points plus 5.8 rebounds per contest this season. He is one of four players for the Hoosiers averaging in double figures. Kel’el Ware is contributing 14.8 points plus 9.6 rebounds a night. Trey Galloway (10.3 points, 3.9 assists) and Mackenzie Mgbako (10.2 points) are solid secondary scoring options. Xavier Johnson, Anthony Walker, CJ Gunn, Kaleb Banks, Payton Sparks and Gabe Cupps are also capable to make contributions for Indiana.

Indiana shoots 48% from the floor as a team on the season, which is 39th in the country. The Hoosiers average of 5.1 three-pointers a night while sinking 33.7% of their attempts from beyond the arc. They don't convert as well from the FT line as in previous seasons, converting 66.2% of their attempts as a team, leaving them 318th in the nation.

This version of the Indiana Hoosiers is a little less explosive on offense, but they are quite capable of doing damage when the shots are falling and if they don't turn the ball over. The long-range perimeter game is less of a focus with Reneau and Ware being the primary options. Look for Indiana to try and get some mismatches in the paint off of Purdue's help defense. The Boilers will need to guard the perimeter penetration and maybe get some turnovers in the passing lanes. Purdue had trouble with Nebraska at the defensive end, and they'll need a better game this evening to keep Indiana at bay.

On defense, look for Indiana to keep with what's worked the last few times out against Purdue - physical on the perimeter, and making things tough for Zach Edey with a variety of looks. The Boilers will need to make some quick decisions and move the ball without turning it over - that was a big problem last time at Assembly Hall.

If there's any game where the Purdue team needs to be patient at the right time and also push the pace strategically, this would be one of them. This will be a tough playing environment in a difficult venue. They'll need poise and the ability to knock down some shots.

Both these teams are tied for second in the conference standings, a game and a half back of Wisconsin, who is still unbeaten in league play. Neither of these teams can really afford a third conference loss this early.....can the Boilers summon up a great effort on the road and keep pace? We shall see...

Boiler up, my friends....

i
i

The student section will be lit. Still think you win handily. We'll see though. Trayce and JHS saved Woody's ass last year.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
Not particularly, obviously the marquee players, but from my experience it varies a bit from game to game. I've seen a Smith PRA I think once before, certainly never for Loyer, so that's a little odd.
Gotcha. I just never see smith, especially odd since he can stuff the stat sheet. Not a big deal but was just curious!

The peacock pregame show talking about how well Nebraska defended Zach and every clip they just had to pretend like they didn’t see the obvious fouls. Lol

• Angry
Reactions: tjreese and drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT